New AAC ESPN Contract Value Poll | Page 15 | The Boneyard

New AAC ESPN Contract Value Poll

What will be the per school annual value of the purported new AAC deal with ESPN

• Slightly less than we are getting now. ($1M - $2M)

• About what we are getting now ($2M)

• Well it's a good deal so ... uh twice what we are getting now. ($3M-$4M)

• >$4M but < $10M

• $10M

• >$10M but < $15M

• SEC money

Results are only viewable after voting.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So, it's a deal that won't significantly change the league's financial, exposure, or prestige disadvantages. It does nothing to help UCONN halt it's drift into irrelevance. In essence, they get nothing they needed and in 2023, half the league will attempt to latch on to a new league by any means necessary. I'm not convinced UConn will be one of the programs to put forward that kind of commitment.

I'm still waiting on the details, but I pretty much agree and think everything you say will be true.

I love UConn football, but if we're not going to commit to even trying to compete in the AAC it doesn't make sense to continue to half rear end it.

If by 2023 we're still in the basement of AAC football, don't get a P5 invite (lol), it may be time to call up the Big East and at least ensure hoops survives.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This was a post you did in response to whaler. You specifically called him out for not believing in other bidders.
Fair enough. With due respect that wasn't so much"calling him out" as much as noting that those were the types of posts he was making for last year or so. Where he and I differ is that he thought that the lack of bidders would result in no increase over the current deal. That turned out to be wrong.

CL82

Reaction Score
If by 2023 we're still in the basement of AAC football, don't get a P5 invite (lol), it may be time to call up the Big East and at least ensure hoops survives.
That's exactly what this deal appears to be about keeping the AAC viable through the end of the next conference realignment window. If the there is no CR then ESPN will offer up a new deal that likely will require a GOR from conference members. That's a guess but the pieces fit.

Agree though CBH it's pointless to talk about it until the details come out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fair enough. With due respect that wasn't so much"calling him out" as much as noting that those were the types of posts he was making for last year or so. Where he and I differ is that he thought that the lack of bidders would result in no increase over the current deal. That turned out to be wrong.

cl posted multiple times that the deal would be 75 million a team and would be so lucrative that Uconn would pass up the big ten begging uconn to join.

guy really missed the mark

CL82

Reaction Score
cl posted multiple times that the deal would be 75 million a team and would be so lucrative that Uconn would pass up the big ten begging uconn to join.

guy really missed the mark
Hahaha, man you must really be hung over. This is weak sauce even for you. Chuckle.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="I wouldn't put much stock in the report out of Memphis. They are in the ballpark on a few things and way off on some others...

One thing it does, it puts a number out that is a decent number. That's a good thing. I would believe that sets the bar for bidding.[/QUOTE]

What bidding? The deal is done

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As I said in the other thread I think the per team number is around $6MM which lets Aresco & the AD's taut the fact that they got a 300% increase.

I also think that a good chunk of AAC games will wind up on "The Plus"

6/6.5 I guess

Hahaha, man you must really be hung over. This is weak sauce even for you. Chuckle.

Quoted for you are two examples of good predictions that are mostly right.

Here is an example of another prediction where it’s horribly wrong.

You might want of stop trying to declare victory when you were decimated. Maybe not as bad as you were decimated for years on the CR board - but it’s a pretty weird tact to declare victory in the face of overwhelming defeat. But that’s kinda your crutch.

4850A9E5-7C0F-414D-BDBA-6553E2D4F783.jpeg
4850A9E5-7C0F-414D-BDBA-6553E2D4F783.jpeg

CL82

Reaction Score
Quoted for you are two examples of good predictions that are mostly right.

Here is an example of another prediction where it’s horribly wrong.

You might want of stop trying to declare victory when you were decimated. Maybe not as bad as you were decimated for years on the CR board - but it’s a pretty weird tact to declare victory in the face of overwhelming defeat. But that’s kinda your crutch.

View attachment 40420 View attachment 40420
Lol, over two hundred posts into the thread you made a hedge prediction. Lol, gutsy call. What's even funnier is you are now trumpeting it as if it was a big deal.

FWIW, if you read the thread you'll see that my prediction was $10M, probably within the first 20 posts or so. When we get actually details, let's revisit it. I'm out until halftime.

(Lol at the double screen shot. Having the shakes this morning?)

Reaction Score
I don’t think we can predict much until we hear from our new president. If he is committed to P5 status, we’ll make a strong move to prepare for 2023. If he isn’t, we can’t make the move to the Big East soon enough for me. I do not want to stay in the AAC if we aren’t going to do whatever it takes to get into a P5.

Reaction Score
Lol, over two hundred posts into the thread you made a hedge prediction. Lol, gutsy call. What's even funnier is you are now trumpeting it as if it was a big deal.

FWIW, if you read the thread you'll see that my prediction was $10M, probably within the first 20 posts or so. When we get actually details, let's revisit it. I'm out until halftime.

Since I'm now involved (thanks Whaler ;)), let me try & referee this bout.

The first question is "what is the argument really about?"

I think my quote was replying to the topic of what we thought the new TV deal would be, not what the total revenue received from the conference would be, since these are 2 very different numbers.

Based on the FOIA data from Memphis it looks like the per school rake for incidentals (bowl games, NCAA credits, etc.) is around $1.4MM/year. Since it looks like the hoops side of the conference is trending up & assuming that Aresco finds a few more dollars somewhere in the 50 bowl games that are played every year that number will likely rise some. I think we can safely say that realistically becomes $2-$2.5MM/year.

It appears that based on the info coming from Memphis the actual TV dollars will be in the $6-$6.5MM range but, if you add the additional conference money the actual per school number could be close to the $10MM many are referring to.

I think just about all the "regulars" on the BY knew what the eventual TV contract was going to look like from a dollar perspective. I even believe those who were floating the wild Hulu, YouTube, etc. ideas really understood what reality was, they were just desperate to try & find something to hold on to as we saw former peer schools around us move on.

That's all I got for you. Obviously, $6.5MM is better than $2MM but, it doesn't change our financial position all that much. As much as I hate to say it, I believe UConn will be forced to drop some sports in the near future.

Reaction Score
Going up just four million a year doesn't sound great but if you are willing to commit 1-2 million of that and spread it across edsalls coaching staff that's a start

Reaction Score
That is one crappy preemptive deal. If true, Aresco should be shot for this dog. Anything less than $12.5 million (which is half of what P5s) is unacceptable, and taking it without a competitive process is insanely stupid.

Reaction Score
Least surprising of all this is how a newspaper in Memphis can break stories like this but CT's flagship newspaper which is about 20 miles from Bristol couldn't break it and doesn't have sources to get info.
Desi Lou. Need I say more

Reaction Score
That is one crappy preemptive deal. If true, Aresco should be shot for this dog. Anything less than $12.5 million (which is half of what P5s) is unacceptable, and taking it without a competitive process is insanely stupid.
The only thing going on the open market would have done is risked getting an even worse deal when we realize that there are no other bidders and we have to go crawling back to ESPN.

Reaction Score
Memphis Commercial Appeal (through an FOIA request) is saying that this is the "total distribution" of the new deal:

2019-2020 (last year of current deal): bumped up to $5 Million
2020-2021: $8.5 Million
2021-2022: $8.5 Million
2022-2023: $8.5 Million

So according to them, the new TV deal (by itself) will be 3 years, $7 Million per school.

University of Memphis expects AAC media rights revenue distributions to double from new contract

Oops... LOL. Memphis AD putting a little sand in the budget?

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think it would stand to reason that if a Memphis representative was part of the negotiation they would have fairly decent estimate as to what the final number would amount to.

Reaction Score
The only thing going on the open market would have done is risked getting an even worse deal when we realize that there are no other bidders and we have to go crawling back to ESPN.
I don’t think so. They are quite a looking for content, including new digital streaming networks. ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, Turner, Google TV, Apple TV, Amazon, Netflix. Amazon is trying to buy like 2 dozen regional sports networks to open a beachfront in sports.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don’t think so. They are quite a looking for content, including new digital streaming networks. ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, Turner, Google TV, Apple TV, Amazon, Netflix. Amazon is trying to buy like 2 dozen regional sports networks to open a beachfront in sports.

Don't sign! Pull the plug. Someone call Apple TV!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

For someone who is constantly lamenting personal attacks - it's pretty much all you got.

Yeah I guess it's no big deal in a conversation about predicting the deal.... getting the prediction right.

A weird concept to most but definitely on brand for you.

Reaction Score
Competitive bid processes for a non-distressed asset almost always bring a premium when the bidding is conducted by professionals. Pretty simple concept that seems to be lost.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Competitive bid processes for a non-distressed asset almost always bring a premium when the bidding is conducted by professionals. Pretty simple concept that seems to be lost.

This is the part that gives some pause...

CL82

Reaction Score
For someone who is constantly lamenting personal attacks - it's pretty much all you got.

Yeah I guess it's no big deal in a conversation about predicting the deal.... getting the prediction right.

A weird concept to most but definitely on brand for you.
Wow 24 hours later and your wheels are still spending on this. Relax man.:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom