OT: - Need some advice from yall Yankees (food related) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Need some advice from yall Yankees (food related)

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I am indifferent about lobster. I just don't get how people go crazy over it. It's just eh in my book. No matter how you prepare it, the vehicle you pair it with delivers the dominant flavor. Plus to eat a whole lobster is just too much work. Yet, people go crazy for it. I worked in a high-end, white tablecloth restaurant one summer during college and we went through lobsters like crazy. As an aside, baked stuffed lobster is a terrible thing to order. In order to prepare it, a live lobster is stabbed, cut open, stuffed and buttered while still alive. It's then put in the oven while still moving. Open the oven after five minutes and it's still moving. I know the prep guys did reach in and pull some part out before stuffing. Don't know whether that affects pain sensation. Weirder still was cooking soft-shell crabs. We'd take live moving crab, give him a flouring, dip through the egg wash and then seasoned breadcrumbs. We'd then drop this battered, moving guy into the deep fryer. At least with the meat dishes someone else did the slaughtering and I didn't have to witness it. Now .... back to the question at hand. My wife is a lobster lover. (Trying to impress her with restaurants while dating was not inexpensive. Which is ironic because she was not looking to be impressed and I found out later that she thought I was foolish spending all that money.) Anyway, she is butter hands down. Not even a question in her mind. Me? I'd rather have a PB&J - chunky please.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Tl:dr, but I think I feel sorry for you

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
A few more thoughts. Everyone in line in front of me ordered the Connecticut... while my friend was the only one to get the Maine. I thought at first we could split it... but it would have been difficult to do without a knife or a fork. I'll just get the Maine the next time. She said it was great... she hadn't had the Maine before.

The idea of getting both of them was bandied about in this thread. In retrospect that would have been a bad idea. I didn't even finish half of my tater tots. I guess it could have been done.... but feeling full and content vs feeling overstuffed was the prudent way to go.

How about a whoopie pie?

My original plan was to get one...... but I was full after my meal so I decided to wait and get one the next go around. Of course I could have taken one home... but decided I didn't need any sweets. though we did stop off at a bakery on a way back... and some slices of cake mysteriously ended up in my hands.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A few more thoughts. Everyone in line in front of me ordered the Connecticut... while my friend was the only one to get the Maine. I thought at first we could split it... but it would have been difficult to do without a knife or a fork. I'll just get the Maine the next time. She said it was great... she hadn't had the Maine before.

The idea of getting both of them was bandied about in this thread. In retrospect that would have been a bad idea. I didn't even finish half of my tater tots. I guess it could have been done.... but feeling full and content vs feeling overstuffed was the prudent way to go.

My original plan was to get one...... but I was full after my meal so I decided to wait and get one the next go around. Of course I could have taken one home... but decided I didn't need any sweets. though we did stop off at a bakery on a way back... and some slices of cake mysteriously ended up in my hands.
Triad using the word "prudent" in a post about food. I'll have to make a note of this one! :D

Glad you enjoyed your meal! ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Triad using the word "prudent" in a post about food. I'll have to make a note of this one! :D

Glad you enjoyed your meal! ;)

I'm pushing half a century :oops: ...... I gotta make more prudent decisions when it comes to food intake. Looks like no more post midnight stops at Cookout for a 1/4 pound cheeseburger, onion rings, chicken nuggets and a Caramel Fudge Walnut Milkshake

giphy.gif

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Maxie B's?!

Actually no. Its a place called Cupcake Cuties and Bakery. Its on Highway 109 in the small town of Wallburg. Maybe 15 minutes south of Winston...... 15 minutes north of Thomasville.. I had seen it on local TV but never been. My friend had been there before and since we both like desserts... we stopped by. Its off the beaten path... but if you are ever in the area.... you gotta check them out. Not sure if you have been to Cheesecakes by Alex... but they get their cheesecakes from there.

Family-run Davidson County bakery makes adjustments to keep serving customers amid coronavirus pandemic

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Actually no. Its a place called Cupcake Cuties and Bakery. Its on Highway 109 in the small town of Wallburg. Maybe 15 minutes south of Winston...... 15 minutes north of Thomasville.. I had seen it on local TV but never been. My friend had been there before and since we both like desserts... we stopped by. Its off the beaten path... but if you are ever in the area.... you gotta check them out. Not sure if you have been to Cheesecakes by Alex... but they get their cheesecakes from there.

Family-run Davidson County bakery makes adjustments to keep serving customers amid coronavirus pandemic

Man... :( I was just in Winston this weekend seeing a few friends.

I'll put it on the list!

Reaction Score
I'm pushing half a century :oops: ...... I gotta make more prudent decisions when it comes to food intake. Looks like no more post midnight stops at Cookout for a 1/4 pound cheeseburger, onion rings, chicken nuggets and a Caramel Fudge Walnut Milkshake

giphy.gif
Every once in a while, especially after being really good, you just have to cheat. My wife's cardiologist admits he allows himself a big fat cheeseburger once or twice a month. It might not be good to eat one every other day... FYI, the wife's number are better than mine, or her cardiologist!

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

giphy.gif
Yeah, You are in that dangerous "gotta' eat right" zone of life. No more leftover pizza at midnight or a 9 PM bowl of chili. However, to cheer you up, in another 20 years you'll reach a point where you'll say "screw it" and once again eat whatever you want. Just make sure the Prilosec is handy.

Reaction Score

giphy.gif
Omigosh, Triad, I've got to come down there and follow you to this place. I think I''d drive down to North Carolina for just that milkshake. By the way, do they still have Spudnuts down there. There was a place in Havelock that sold them and I'd eat a half dozen by the time I got back to the base.

Reaction Score
Every once in a while, especially after being really good, you just have to cheat. My wife's cardiologist admits he allows himself a big fat cheeseburger once or twice a month. It might not be good to eat one every other day... FYI, the wife's number are better than mine, or her cardiologist!
Skeets, I have always told our children from their early years on that cheeseburgers are concrete proof that God loves us. He created the hamburg and said, "This is good", then after thinking about it said, "And adding cheese would make it even better". And thus the cheeseburger was created.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Omigosh, Triad, I've got to come down there and follow you to this place. I think I''d drive down to North Carolina for just that milkshake. By the way, do they still have Spudnuts down there. There was a place in Havelock that sold them and I'd eat a half dozen by the time I got back to the base.

Actually you wouldn't have to drive down to NC to visit a Cookout. The Franchise started here in Greensboro... but they have expanded in the southeast all the way up to Maryland and WV. Here is the full Milkshake Menu. They do allow you to mix flavors. I also enjoy the Peanut Butter Fudge and Walnut.... the Pineapple Strawberry... and in December... the Chocolate Eggnog and Walnut. :cool:

Menu3-top.jpg

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Skeets, I have always told our children from their early years on that cheeseburgers are concrete proof that God loves us. He created the hamburg and said, "This is good", then after thinking about it said, "And adding cheese would make it even better". And thus the cheeseburger was created.

My saying has always been that "cheeseburgers are God's gift to humanity".

Reaction Score
If you can’t taste the difference between hot lobster with melted butter and cold lobster with mayo and lemon, you should consult your physician. :oops:
I was not aware that I had included a differential. Is it a requirement that one state serves only hot and the other cold?

Reaction Score
Actually you wouldn't have to drive down to NC to visit a Cookout. The Franchise started here in Greensboro... but they have expanded in the southeast all the way up to Maryland and WV. Here is the full Milkshake Menu. They do allow you to mix flavors. I also enjoy the Peanut Butter Fudge and Walnut.... the Pineapple Strawberry... and in December... the Chocolate Eggnog and Walnut. :cool:

Menu3-top.jpg
Now stop that. What you are doing is beyond torture. Chocolate eggnog? Chocolate cherry? Backing the car out of the driveway and heading South. Even if I have to quarantine.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I was not aware that I had included a differential. Is it a requirement that one state serves only hot and the other cold?

It’s a difference that’s akin to the differences in Rhode Island, Manhattan, and New England clam chowders.

A Connecticut roll has hot lobster and butter and a Maine roll has cold lobster, often lightly dressed in mayo (although I prefer the mayo on the bread), sometimes with celery, and I like a squeeze of lemon.

They’re both lobster rolls, but the final products have very different tastes.

Reaction Score
In Maine but 38 years in CT. You want Connecticut style, skip the roll. And, you need to come to Maine to get the very best lobster roll, cold with mayo and chopped celery if you like it. There's a truck (last day this Sunday), in Kennebunk, that has the very best for miles. Slaw is top notch.

Reaction Score
When I was stationed in Groton, CT at the sub base, I used to go to Abbott's in Noank, CT. It was pricey but I guess it had to be for the cost of lobster. Then I used to go to Bank St in New London, to a restaurant that had on Friday evenings, twin baked stuffed lobsters for $12.99. Really great.

The subs used to drive me home from my missions. When I got on board, they gave me a hot shower, hot food, clean sheets, clean uniform, and treated me like royalty.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Abbott's isn't what it used to be. I think their business is now mostly tourists.

Reaction Score
In Maine but 38 years in CT. You want Connecticut style, skip the roll. And, you need to come to Maine to get the very best lobster roll, cold with mayo and chopped celery if you like it. There's a truck (last day this Sunday), in Kennebunk, that has the very best for miles. Slaw is top notch.
ME, that last part got to me. Slaw is a really integral part of a meal and can either add or detract greatly. Too many places make it an afterthought.

Reaction Score
ME, that last part got to me. Slaw is a really integral part of a meal and can either add or detract greatly. Too many places make it an afterthought.
Sorry to hear that about Abbotts. My time was in the 70's and 80's in and out. The one thing, that I remember emphatically is the seafood. I use to enjoy the flounder covered in Bernaise sauce, swordfish, clams on the half shell, FRIED CLAMS WITH COLE SLAW, FRENCH FRIES, AND ONION RINGS. They used to have these little stands along the road between New London and Old Saybrook that served up quarts of fried clams and fries or onion rings. I forgot the name of that road, was it US 1? And, there was a very good seafood restaurant next to a marina by the name of Dock and Dine on the Conn River. Up the river, there was another nice dining spot called the Griswold Inn.

In New London, for a real nice dinner, I use to go to the Lighthouse Inn. They were first class. You have to remember that this is an old boy from ABQ and the big decision is red or green. I really enjoyed my dining experiences in CT. Better than the O club or a mess hall on base.

In Hartford, one of the best dining experiences all around was Carbone's. Good stuff.

If I did not run 15 miles every day with a full pack and rifle, I would have not been able to stay at 160 lbs.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
There are still many great seafood places in the area. We had not been to Abbott's in several years because the quality had gone downhill. We went last year and it was very disappointing. Ford's is the place for lobster for me. The Lighthouse Inn has been closed for many years as has the Dock and Dine in Old Saybrook. The owners of the D&D have another restaurant in Stonington that is a favorite of ours for outside dining.

So you were a Marine assigned to the sub base? I attended the final Marine Sunset Parade on the base just before they stood down. The MarBar is now a security building, the O club and Chief's clubs are gone (the O club was torn down at least 20 years ago).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom