OT: - Need some advice from yall Yankees (food related) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Need some advice from yall Yankees (food related)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Pretty much any Lobster Roll would be good, but the best is the Connecticut Style, not because it's Connecticut, but because of how it's prepared. If you have ever had a whole lobster, you probably took out the meat and dipped it in butter. The Lobster Roll is basically that on a toasted bun. The simplicity makes it great: warm lobster meat, a toasted hot dog roll, and butter. No mayo, no spices, no breading. Just pure and simple. I may get one tomorrow (Mason's Lobster Rolls at National Harbor near D.C.).

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
As for the difference in the lobster rolls, I guarantee you that if you put both of them before someone with a blindfold they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

If you can’t taste the difference between hot lobster with melted butter and cold lobster with mayo and lemon, you should consult your physician. :oops:

Reaction Score
I'm quite happy with either. Whichever is available.

I assume everyone who prefers butter uses clarified butter if you boil your own lobster.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If you can't tell the difference between warm lobster served in a grilled bun with butter. and cold lobster prepared with mayo, dill and raw celery you need to retire your taste buds and stick to tomato soup.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Seriously, can't tell the difference between and Connecticut style and Maine style lobster roll?

Right?

This site has been running for more than two decade - that was the single worst opinion I have ever seen here in all that time.

I almost feel like we should lock all the treads and leave. We will never top that.

Reaction Score
Tip for anyone traveling to Hilton Head, SC or Savannah, GA areas. The Sugaree, a Bluffton, SC bakery about 25 minutes from both towns, makes both styles of lobster rolls with toasted, locally baked hot dog style buns, and they are as good as any in New England. Owners come from Maine.

Reaction Score
Tip for anyone traveling to Hilton Head, SC or Savannah, GA areas. The Sugaree, a Bluffton, SC bakery about 25 minutes from both towns, makes both styles of lobster rolls with toasted, locally baked hot dog style buns, and they are as good as any in New England. Owners come from Maine.

I'm less interested in where the owners come from than where the lobster comes from. ;)

Reaction Score
Yeah..... I definitely was gonna get the tater tots... whew. And I see they have New England Clam Chowder as well.... I've never had it... but I've heard good things about it from my father. He tells me stories of making it in a restaurant while he lived in Connecticut back in the early 60's. Lobster Rolls, Tater Tots, and Clam Chowder... I wouldn't dare :eek::eek: And they have Lobster Bisque too :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Looking at their schedule... They are supposed to be in Greensboro on Sunday........ maybe I can check them out both days ;)
You never had New England clam chowder? Self deprivation. One of the best soups in the US.

Reaction Score
You never had New England clam chowder? Self deprivation. One of the best soups in the US.

Good chowder. Absolutely. But there is a lot of average to well below average chowder throughout New England.

Reaction Score
Cousins Maine is famous. Please enjoy the lobster and the chowder. I lobstered for 9 years here in southeastern connecticut.Our lobsters were shiped up to Maine, so I don't think there is any derfrince between the two. So, just enjoy, butter or lemon, your choice.

Reaction Score
I could easily eat two myself - just hard to justify spending $40 on myself at a food truck (but I think you're talking me into it)
I love lobster. In my humble opinion all lobster rolls are way overrated and overpriced. It's become a thing :). I do believe they are sold to make use of the parts of the lobster that cannot be sold at a real nice profit margin. For instance, someone orders lobster tails, what do you do with the rest of the lobster? Lobster rolls! Why not spend just a few bucks more and get a lobster?

Reaction Score
I take some (small) exception to the description of the hotdog bun as tasteless. If it is done correctly, both sides of the bun are buttered and grilled. Gives even more butter taste to the lobster roll. And yes, butter is a good thing.
Bacon is a good thing. Is there such a thing as a bacon lobster roll? On second thought forget it. That would be a little like mashed potatoes and chocolate syrup. How about Dairy Bar Ice Cream with anything (not mashed potatoes)?

Reaction Score
Good chowder. Absolutely. But there is a lot of average to well below average chowder throughout New England.
New England clam chowder easily wins, but Manhattan clam chowder isn't bad a couple of times a decade for a change of pace (sort of like the Mets).

Reaction Score
Our favorite lobster roll was at Lobster Landing in Clinton, CT.
1603310389393.png

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
If you really want a lobster fix go for lobster stew (or bisque)

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
Anyone here ever try Ford's Lobster Restaurant's Lobster Bomb in Noank?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom