OT: - Need some advice from yall Yankees (food related) | The Boneyard

OT: Need some advice from yall Yankees (food related)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Ok... so I was planning on driving up to Charlottesville (and surrounding areas) Saturday for wine, apples, and lunch... but looks like the weather forecast is a bit dicey (50% chance of showers) so that trip might have to be postponed. As an alternative I asked my friend if she would be interested in hot dogs..... then she asked me about Lobster Dogs. Apparently there is a restaurant franchise (Cousins Maine) that specializes in Maine Lobsters and they are having a food truck at a local winery. Believe it or not.. I've never had lobster in my life.... well maybe once.

My question... should I go for the Connecticut Lobster Roll..... or the Maine Lobster Roll??
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Ok... so I was planning on driving up to Charlottesville (and surrounding areas) Saturday for wine, apples, and lunch... but looks like the weather forecast is a bit dicey (50% chance of showers) so that trip might have to be postponed. As an alternative I asked my friend if she would be interested in hot dogs..... then she asked me about Lobster Dogs. Apparently there is a restaurant franchise (Cousins Maine) that specializes in Maine Lobsters and they are having a food truck at a local winery. Believe it or not.. I've never had lobster in my life.... well maybe once.

My question... should I go for the Connecticut Lobster Roll..... or the Maine Lobster Roll?? View attachment 60094 View attachment 60094 View attachment 60094 View attachment 60094 View attachment 60094

I LOVE THE COUSINS TRUCK!

Personally, I go for the Maine roll and a side of tater tots. Their tater tots, fresh out of the fryer, are amaaaaaazing. If they package them up, unwrap those bad boys ASAP. So, so good.

Now I'm off to check the schedule for the Charlotte trucks...

Reaction Score

My question... should I go for the Connecticut Lobster Roll..... or the Maine Lobster Roll?? View attachment 60094 View attachment 60094 View attachment 60094 View attachment 60094 View attachment 60094
You have to try both (unless you don’t like mayonnaise or butter - then it’s easy). You and your friend order one of each and share.

Reaction Score
I'm very torn on this subject having spent my childhood summers in Maine and also having a summer home in Milford CT. Your best bet is to get one of each...........to be perfectly honest, as a child I preferred a hot dog on a hot buttered New England roll to a lobster or a lobster roll..........

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Connecticut Lobster Roll every time. Not even a question. Lobster on a grilled NE hot dog bun covered in melted butter, or cold lobster with mayo. How is this even a question? :eek:

Hmmm... I was leaning towards the Maine version because of my love for Mayo..... but you might have just convinced me to get the Connecticut version.

You have to try both (unless you don’t like mayonnaise or butter - then it’s easy). You and your friend order one of each and share.

Ha..... that sounds like a good idea.... hadnt even thought of that. I will admit it popped in my head to get one of each for myself... but.. I aint no glutton
33.gif
(no more)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I could easily eat two myself - just hard to justify spending $40 on myself at a food truck (but I think you're talking me into it)
Maybe you could borrow some money from Chris Dailey to pay for your gluttony. In a prior post you seemed to indicate that she was well compensated!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I LOVE THE COUSINS TRUCK!

Personally, I go for the Maine roll and a side of tater tots. Their tater tots, fresh out of the fryer, are amaaaaaazing. If they package them up, unwrap those bad boys ASAP. So, so good.

Now I'm off to check the schedule for the Charlotte trucks...

Yeah..... I definitely was gonna get the tater tots... whew. And I see they have New England Clam Chowder as well.... I've never had it... but I've heard good things about it from my father. He tells me stories of making it in a restaurant while he lived in Connecticut back in the early 60's. Lobster Rolls, Tater Tots, and Clam Chowder... I wouldn't dare :eek::eek: And they have Lobster Bisque too :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Looking at their schedule... They are supposed to be in Greensboro on Sunday........ maybe I can check them out both days ;)

Reaction Score
hey, why not have one in Connecticut and continue right up to Maine for a second one!

Reaction Score
Maybe you could borrow some money from Chris Dailey to pay for your gluttony. In a prior post you seemed to indicate that she was well compensated!
It's not that I can't afford it - it's just the idea. We get a lobster roll truck at a food truck event we have out here in Ahwatukee, AZ twice a year. I just wish they had a "large" size...

Chris can afford it too. I had read $400K a couple years ago. The article in that "Labor Dept. Rules..." thread said CD received "just under $313,000 in salary and fringe benefits from the school during the fiscal year that ended in June 2014." First, 2014 was 6 years ago, plus I suspect there's more in addition to "from the school" (for instance, is it the school who pays her for her radio postgame show?) ("The Dailey Recap"?)

Reaction Score
As you’ve never had lobster before I suggest the ct. roll. You want to know what the lobster taste like. The mayo and whatever spices they put in the Maine roll obviously gives you a different taste. Also imo warm lobster is much better then cold lobster.

Reaction Score
I never tried the Maine version but I can tell you the Ct version is well worth $20 if you can spare it. The bun is generally a cheap hotdog bun, nothing but a tasteless recepticle for warm buttered lobster, which is the way it should be.

The best lobster I ever ate was in Maine, while camping and canoeing many years ago. We borrowed a pot, bought butter, bought fresh corn, got the lobsters minutes after they came off a boat. Recipe: boil corn to tender and set aside; boil lobsters until done; melt butter; eat and eat some more until full or the skeeters drive you into your tent. Hint: if the skeeters do send you into your tent, don't forget to bring a bunch of lobster and corn with you!

Reaction Score
My wife and I have had Cousins lobster rolls every Wednesday for the last couple of months. We both get the Connecticut version - highly recommended. We also get the lobster bisque which is also excellent. And if you like Whoopie pies I highly recommend theirs. They have chocolate and pumpkin versions - never tried the pumpkin version but may tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I never tried the Maine version but I can tell you the Ct version is well worth $20 if you can spare it. The bun is generally a cheap hotdog bun, nothing but a tasteless recepticle for warm buttered lobster, which is the way it should be.

The best lobster I ever ate was in Maine, while camping and canoeing many years ago. We borrowed a pot, bought butter, bought fresh corn, got the lobsters minutes after they came off a boat. Recipe: boil corn to tender and set aside; boil lobsters until done; melt butter; eat and eat some more until full or the skeeters drive you into your tent. Hint: if the skeeters do send you into your tent, don't forget to bring a bunch of lobster and corn with you!

I take some (small) exception to the description of the hotdog bun as tasteless. If it is done correctly, both sides of the bun are buttered and grilled. Gives even more butter taste to the lobster roll. And yes, butter is a good thing.

Reaction Score
Yeah..... I definitely was gonna get the tater tots... whew. And I see they have New England Clam Chowder as well.... I've never had it... but I've heard good things about it from my father. He tells me stories of making it in a restaurant while he lived in Connecticut back in the early 60's. Lobster Rolls, Tater Tots, and Clam Chowder... I wouldn't dare :eek::eek: And they have Lobster Bisque too :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Looking at their schedule... They are supposed to be in Greensboro on Sunday........ maybe I can check them out both days ;)
[/QUOTE Triad, if you are going to have clam chowder do yourself a favor. Buy a couple of cans of Progresso Clam Chowder and a can of baby clams. Add them to the Progresso. It's basically the same thing as the majority of these "Sea Food Restaurants" serve. As for the difference in the lobster rolls, I guarantee you that if you put both of them before someone with a blindfold they wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Now if you excuse me I'm going to set back and wait for people to tell me about every restaurant they have ever eaten in and how wrong I am.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
My vote is for the CT lobster roll. Nuthin' but warm lobster and butter none of that mayo crap covering up the taste. Save the mayo for a BLT.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well my dear colleague @triaddukefan if what you say is true that you haven’t had Lobster ever or very few times, without a doubt go with the Connecticut Lobster roll to get the true taste of lobster. After a few of those, migrate over the the Maine roll with mayo and celery for the crunch!
I must also drag @MilfordHusky into this dialogue and even @oldude too as all of us should remember Perry’s in Milford. That Lobster roll was a real treat growing up and reminds me of the original Jimmy’s of Savin Rock. Heck, now I am thinking Danny’s in Stratford and their hot dogs and fries...damn you Triad, damn you!:mad::rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Triad, if you are going to have clam chowder do yourself a favor. Buy a couple of cans of Progresso Clam Chowder and a can of baby clams. Add them to the Progresso. It's basically the same thing as the majority of these "Sea Food Restaurants" serve. As for the difference in the lobster rolls, I guarantee you that if you put both of them before someone with a blindfold they wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Now if you excuse me I'm going to set back and wait for people to tell me about every restaurant they have ever eaten in and how wrong I am.

hmmmmm

Reaction Score

Seriously, can't tell the difference between and Connecticut style and Maine style lobster roll?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom