OT: - Need some advice from yall Yankees (food related) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Need some advice from yall Yankees (food related)

Reaction Score
Ok... so I was planning on driving up to Charlottesville (and surrounding areas) Saturday for wine, apples, and lunch... but looks like the weather forecast is a bit dicey (50% chance of showers) so that trip might have to be postponed. As an alternative I asked my friend if she would be interested in hot dogs..... then she asked me about Lobster Dogs. Apparently there is a restaurant franchise (Cousins Maine) that specializes in Maine Lobsters and they are having a food truck at a local winery. Believe it or not.. I've never had lobster in my life.... well maybe once.

My question... should I go for the Connecticut Lobster Roll..... or the Maine Lobster Roll?? View attachment 60094 View attachment 60094 View attachment 60094 View attachment 60094 View attachment 60094
Are you really asking on THIS board?

Pretty obvious the hot variety is better!!!

Though I wouldn't turn down a Maine lobster anything.

I married an Arizona girl (always claimed the family accepted me because I'm from the West Bronx - the cowboy side of the borough. We drove up to Maine for a whirlwind honeymoon, and my bride similarly had never had a lobster before. I offered that we should both have lobsters - splurge and all and we were in Maine after all. She demurred and ordered shrimp and of course proceeded to eat my whole lobster - first lesson in marriage!

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Anyone here ever try Ford's Lobster Restaurant's Lobster Bomb in Noank?

Fords is my top choice for a lobster roll, but I’ve never braved the lobster bomb. I was in CT in March the day before the governor shut down the restaurants for dining in, and we scrapped our lunch plans for that day and moved up our trip to Fords.

Man, I miss traveling.

85A66DC1-FA56-4333-82A0-8E1B57AEB4CE.jpeg

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
@triaddukefan, this Mainer has little to offer in regard to lobstuh rolls, as I can't imagine combining the taste and texture of bread—mushy/toasted, buttered or mayoed—with the pleasure of a lobster meal. Yes, I tried it once, many years ago.
It didn't hurt. If memory serves, it was ok.

Now that my prejudices are out in the open, please allow me to regale you with a lobster tail, errrmm, tale from the 1960s, when some of us were in our teens, the Firesign Theatre lps were a thing, and...

I was staying in an oceanside shack with a young lady, a Mainuh as it happens.
She walked over to a dock to buy some freshly caught "bugs" (lobsters) from the lobsterman who had just docked. She sent me to the store with instructions to buy spuds, salad ingredients, and a couple gallons of rotgut, Gallo Hearty Burgandy.
As I was interested in amorous pursuits, I was silent and obedient.

Returning to the shack, I was told to pour the wine, all of it, into a cauldron. She dumped the lobsters into the chateauneuf de Plonk and set another cauldron, filled with water, to boil. My curiosity got the best of me, and I asked what was up with the lobsters and wine. She patiently explained what an animal does when suspended over steaming liquid: it tenses every muscle in its body, unless, of course, it is thoroughly s___tfaced and oblivious to its imminent doom. It's just all relaxed and tender.

My brain was yelling at me, "Utter nonsense!" But I didn't wish to upset the lobsters or my prospective nocturnal partner, so I kept quiet. The lobster meat was tender, with no taste of California grapes, and the evening was most pleasant.

No, I've never tried it again. :)

Reaction Score
I'm less interested in where the owners come from than where the lobster comes from. ;)
Ha ha. You missed the point. If you are hungry for lobster rolls in South Carolina, the last thing you think about is where the lobster came from. As an fyi, the lobsters are flown in from Maine, cooked, cracked, and picked on site.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't like Lobster - sorry, guys. BUT - Clam Chowder is another story. I'll share:

I over-all prefer New England style, but don't think most of the canned variety are very good. OTH, I think the Chunky Manhattan Clam Chowder is very good.

There is an Oyster Bar in the Southpoint in Vegas that does an excellent Manhattan style, we can not get it here in Tucson at all.

Down on Long Beach Island in NJ is or was a little Soup shop that produced both - but also a mixed version called "Rhode Island". Also delicious. And a delicious version - more spicy - is available in San Augustine, FL.

Reaction Score
I don't like Lobster - sorry, guys. BUT - Clam Chowder is another story. I'll share:

I over-all prefer New England style, but don't think most of the canned variety are very good. OTH, I think the Chunky Manhattan Clam Chowder is very good.

There is an Oyster Bar in the Southpoint in Vegas that does an excellent Manhattan style, we can not get it here in Tucson at all.

Down on Long Beach Island in NJ is or was a little Soup shop that produced both - but also a mixed version called "Rhode Island". Also delicious. And a delicious version - more spicy - is available in San Augustine, FL.

Rhode Island clam chowder is broth based, NE clam chowder is cream based, Manhattan clam chowder is tomato based (God knows why).

Reaction Score
Best clam chowder of my lifetime - at Hog Island Oyster Co on Fisherman's Wharf, SF (also shown is their 3-cheese grilled cheese sandwich, cheese from the Cowgirl Creamery next door)...

1603326370842.png

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So I have to say that seeing how @triaddukefan coined the title of this thread (from y’all Yankees) had me chuckling about a restaurant sign picture I saw yesterday:
“In the South “JEET” is actually a phrase meaning “Did you eat?” :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Anyone here ever try Ford's Lobster Restaurant's Lobster Bomb in Noank?
I did, in March. It was the day before the American Conference Tourney, and I took the Boneyarders' recommendation. it was awesome!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I did, in March. It was the day before the American Conference Tourney, and I took the Boneyarders' recommendation. it was awesome!
Hey, do you remember “Paul’s” in Milford? Their burgers were awesome. Held a Car rally show every Saturday night...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Welp... guess Mother Nature didn't want me to go to Charlottesville :( ... so Lobster Roll is on the menu for Saturday lunch.

Reaction Score
Our favorite lobster roll was at Lobster Landing in Clinton, CT.
View attachment 60140
Can’t say it’s the best anywhere but it’s the best I’ve had. As I go there often I can say they are consistently great. Not your typical roll, larger and don’t get soggy like regular rolls tend to. Also they sell it as a “ kit” with instructions on how to prepare at home.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hey, do you remember “Paul’s” in Milford? Their burgers were awesome. Held a Car rally show every Saturday night...
Of course, my friend! It was the place to be and be seen. The food was good too. ;)

Reaction Score
There is really no need for a discussion. The original querie was regarding a lobster roll, not a lobster roll vs. a lobster salad roll!

Reaction Score
That place was legendary and deservedly so, just like Mr. Sizzle, home of the Pastrami Nightmare and Jimi’s of Savin Rock for split dogs!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Are you really asking on THIS board?

So if I asked this question on the Maine Black Bear Forum... they would give me a different answer???:D.

I married an Arizona girl (always claimed the family accepted me because I'm from the West Bronx - the cowboy side of the borough. We drove up to Maine for a whirlwind honeymoon, and my bride similarly had never had a lobster before. I offered that we should both have lobsters - splurge and all and we were in Maine after all. She demurred and ordered shrimp and of course proceeded to eat my whole lobster - first lesson in marriage!

that sounds like grounds for divorce :rolleyes:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]

When I got married I was stationed in Germany. My wife is German and under the Status of Forces Agreement at the time we would have had to get permission from the Army and the German Govt. So we flew to Las Vegas and got married. My mom had everything arraigned, the church, reception, and the hotel suite for our wedding night. My wife had never eaten any American food except for McDonald's, so the first day after arriving she had her normal breakfast of bread and cold cuts and lunch was a fish mac and fries. Dinner was a BBQ over at one of brothers house, she started with the salad and fruit but didn't want the ribs, hot dogs or hamburger. I had gone to the butcher shop and bought a couple of porterhouse steak's for my dad and me. When I started in on the steak she asked if she could taste it, that was the last bite I had of the porterhouse and ended up eating ribs. We've been married 44+ years and she still won't eat ribs, hot dogs, or hamburger, but put a porterhouse in front of her and she will hurt you if try to eat it.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

When I got married I was stationed in Germany. My wife is German and under the Status of Forces Agreement at the time we would have had to get permission from the Army and the German Govt. So we flew to Las Vegas and got married. My mom had everything arraigned, the church, reception, and the hotel suite for our wedding night. My wife had never eaten any American food except for McDonald's, so the first day after arriving she had her normal breakfast of bread and cold cuts and lunch was a fish mac and fries. Dinner was a BBQ over at one of brothers house, she started with the salad and fruit but didn't want the ribs, hot dogs or hamburger. I had gone to the butcher shop and bought a couple of porterhouse steak's for my dad and me. When I started in on the steak she asked if she could taste it, that was the last bite I had of the porterhouse and ended up eating ribs. We've been married 44+ years and she still won't eat ribs, hot dogs, or hamburger, but put a porterhouse in front of her and she will hurt you if try to eat it.
[/QUOTE]

I had a similar experience the first time I brought my future wife home to meet my parents. Not porterhouse but frog legs! They were considered a delicacy and a special meal at our house. When my wife saw what my mother was preparing for dinner she blanched and asked me if she would have to eat them. I told her no, that they were just part of the meal and my mother was also serving fish. I convinced her to try just one and to her credit she did. We had to fight her for the remainder of the bowl. If you have never had fresh, cold water frog legs (not the tough, swampy bullfrogs) dredged in flour and fried in bacon grease (what else) you have really missed out on a treat.

Reaction Score
Rhode Island clam chowder is broth based, NE clam chowder is cream based, Manhattan clam chowder is tomato based (God knows why).
Johathan, I think one day a masochist decided to try something new to punish himself and he thought, "Hey, I think I'll add tomato to my clam chowder". And thus Manhattan clam chowder was born. Sort of like serving sauerkraut to your shrimp.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
That is one bizarre article. Lobster claw meat is better then tail meat????? Not in this world.
I don't care that much for claw meat either. Knuckle meat has them both beat though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Maine version is really a lobster salad sandwich. Which is delicious and makes for a nice lunch at the outdoor classical music concert, especially on a croissant. But "lobster roll" is shorthand for a CT lobster roll. I had a great on this summer. I smile thinking about it.

Reaction Score
The Maine version is really a lobster salad sandwich. Which is delicious and makes for a nice lunch at the outdoor classical music concert, especially on a croissant. But "lobster roll" is shorthand for a CT lobster roll. I had a great on this summer. I smile thinking about it.

Had one this afternoon. A good day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom