ND Recruiting Success | The Boneyard

ND Recruiting Success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz - Link

ND's recruiting success means that Geno needs to sign one of the Top Classes in 2013 or 2014. Otherwise come 2017/2018 ND just might have more talent then UConn does and we'll see a repeat of 2011/2012 basketball season.

Listen, UConn has nothing to worry about (right now). Had EDD not transferred, UConn would have been the "more" talented team in 2011-12. AND had Peters and Mallory NOT been 5th year Seniors, ND wouldn't have been "more" experienced than UConn. A lot of circumstances led to ND being the "better" team in 2011-12, so I wouldn't worry too much about 2017-18 just yet. And NONE of these verbals will be on the team with Diggins. What a "rush" of verbal committments from Top athletes right after Final 4 success reminds me of is Rutgers back in 2007 when they made the Title game vs. Tenn (lost), but still roped in #2 Sykes, #9 Pope (now at Baylor), #26 Dixon (now at UCLA), #27 Speed, and #38 Lee (5th year, final two of RU and UConn)...and none of them EVER made an Elite 8 (ZERO NCAA TITLES)

Also, Tennessee landed #3 G. Johnson, #4 Gray (health problems, now at Xavier), #8 Stricklen, #15 Manning, and #20 Brewer (now at UCLA) after 2 NCAA Championships with Parker...and none of them EVER made a Final 4 (ZERO NCAA TITLES)

But...UConn landed #1 EDD (now at Delaware), #10 Doty (knees problems), #11 Hayes, and #31 Buck and they have been to FOUR Final 4's and have TWO NCAA TITLES.

Meaning, not every player can/wants to/should come to UConn [we are only allowed max of 15 and Geno never usually has more than 13], UConn does not want every player, choosing another school OVER UConn doesn't mean a player doesn't want to WIN Championships, and UConn isn't the "right" school for everyone. Recruiting is only step ONE in the process, step 2 is players staying healthy, step 3 is players staying for 4 years, and step 4 in turning all that talent into chemistry and SUCCESS and I'll take Geno and our "signed" recruits for that EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK (over any/everyone else)!!!)

Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz - Link

ND's recruiting success means that Geno needs to sign one of the Top Classes in 2013 or 2014. Otherwise come 2017/2018 ND just might have more talent then UConn does and we'll see a repeat of 2011/2012 basketball season.

Your already worried about 2017-2018?

If your already worried about a season in which the NCAA hasn't even selected the Final 4 site yet because it's too far away, you might want to seriously take a good long look at yourself.

JS

Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz - Link

Anyone from the HS class of 2013 who has to look out to 2017 for a breath of air is resigning herself to not winning the Big East, or beating UConn head to head in at least a couple of games a year (6-12 games total, including post-season) for the first three years of her college career.

That's a long time to play second fiddle.

And who knows what happens in the fourth year, as even the class of 2013 recruiting picture is still a guessing game, much less 2014. But I wouldn't worry about UConn's ability to keep it going with the kind of minutes that'll open up at that point, the kind of enhanced mystique, even by past UConn standards, that will have built by then, and the post-2013 players we hear are pointing for UConn.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not really worrying about 2017/2018, only making a comment based on the premise of the Hoopgurlz article Some here have predicted that UConn is going to again dominate the Big East and even the NCAA's for a number of years. IMHO with the success that some teams are having in recruiting, I don't see any team dominating WBB like Tenn and UConn have done in the past. UConn will still be one of the elite teams, but there will be others that will have just as much talent as UConn does.

Your already worried about 2017-2018?

If your already worried about a season in which the NCAA hasn't even selected the Final 4 site yet because it's too far away, you might want to seriously take a good long look at yourself.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I seriously doubt Geno & staff say, "Well, we signed a great class. We don't need to worry about recruiting for a while". He'll put the same emphasis on recruiting whether he signs the #1 ranked class or the #20 ranked class.

Reaction Score
Not really worrying about 2017/2018, only making a comment based on the premise of the Hoopgurlz article Some here have predicted that UConn is going to again dominate the Big East and even the NCAA's for a number of years. IMHO with the success that some teams are having in recruiting, I don't see any team dominating WBB like Tenn and UConn have done in the past. UConn will still be one of the elite teams, but there will be others that will have just as much talent as UConn does.

Why does it concern you that UConn fans would be bullish on their chances the next couple years? Once in a while you should try enjoying some of the benefits of being a UConn fan. No fan of a team that's made 13 Final Four's, has won 7 national titles, and 4 undefeated seasons and has a roster set up for a very nice run the next 4 years should be as bearish and generally nervous as you usually are about the program. Our roster is loaded with top talent the next several years. National championships are never guaranteed and we have a coaching staff who coaches our players with that mentality. Fans are allowed to be excited.

You can attempt to name me the teams that will have just as much talent as UConn in 2014, 2015, 2016. I don't think you will find anyone that will have veteran players as quality and accomplished as Hartley and Dolson, a rising #1 player from her class in KML, and a 2012 class to die for.

Are you bothered that some use the word dominate? UConn even in a season like 2012 was dominate in the vast majority of the games they played. UConn will be dominate in the vast majority of the games they will play in the next couple years. Obviously there are going to be teams that are tough you need to beat be it Baylor, Notre Dame, Stanford, Duke etc. Even the 2002 team had to gut out a win over Oklahoma. But after Griner is set to graduate most of the game changing players will be in UConn uniforms for 3 years. You said there will be just as many teams with as much talent as UConn. Really? I don't see anyone close after Griner graduates. Duke? Ok. If you say so. And who else will have just as much talent as we do in 2014-2016?

You do realize you are worried that in 2017 ND will have Taya Reimer as a senior and UConn will have a class of 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 that is still unknown and that of course means the power MAY be set to swing back to ND after our 2012 class graduates. And they haven't even played a game yet. Perhaps you should be a little patient and see who we end up with?

I do find it ironic that so many of your posts are so optimistic on our opponents chances. You had posts the past couple years that had me convinced Tennessee was a team to fear. You seem to think Duke is poised to be our equal in coming years. ND is set to pass us in 2017 cause they got Reimer and UConn better sign a monster 2013/2014 class or else! But UConn? UConn fans should be on edge in worry? LOL Sure!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i get the op's point and yes ND recruiting better means more challenges to UCONN. so does any other school who starts, or has been, recruiting better. Duke, Maryland, Stanford, Louisville, Notre Dame, aTm, RU, Tennessee, and several other schools who have made appearances in the top 5 classes over the past several years.

BUT the problem is that as of right now, only UCONN, Duke and Baylor have more than 1 of the truly elite players on their respective teams.
2009 Griner, Bone, Diggins
2010 Ogwimike, Simms, Gray, Thomas, Hartley (one of the strongest and deepest classes in recent years IMHO)
2011 KML, Williams (one of the weaker classes in recent years at the top for elite talent IMHO)
2012 Stewart, Jefferson, Jones, Loyd, Tuck and maybe Graves

UCONN - 5
Duke - 3
Baylor - 2
ND - 2
aTm, Maryland, Stanford and Tennessee all with 1.

this is not to say that other players ranked in the 5-10 range won't be terrific for teams, but when you look at the teams who are amassing the truly elite level talent - the type of kids who will either be on the short list for the NPOY award as seniors, or on the short list for the Honda, Nancy Lieberman (for PG's), etc. - it's those type of players who are the best of the best.

Schools like aTm, Stanford, L'ville, Tennessee, Rutgers, and a few others have had top 10 classes in at least 2 out of the past 3 years, but they aren't amassing the truly elite level talent like UCONN and Duke since 2010. one of the reasons i think you also have seen aTm and ND up there the last few years is because aside from those years being perfect storms for them, aTm had their Maya Moore transfer to them (Danielle Adams) and ND had a pair of 5th year seniors help lead them to this years' success.

going forward, i'm not saying a school like L'ville, aTm, Stanford, Maryland, Tennessee, Rutgers, and a few others CAN'T make it to the final 4, but the chances of them truly challenging for a NC are significantly lower without a couple of truly elite players on their teams. this is why many UCONN fans feel so strongly that UCONN will be in the NC game the next 3 years probably winning multiple NC's over that time.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm happy for ND and Muffet! Besides the fact that she gave me heartburn on more than one occasion this past season, I like to see the Big East teams succeed.

With that being said, I dont worry too much about HS seniors and where they are ranked coming out of high school. I personally would take Geno and a bunch of kids ranked in the middle of the pack than some other coach with 1-2 top 10 kids.

I think UCONN will land 2-3 for 2013 and who ever they are it will be just what we need to continue our success.......

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz - Link

1. I am not that impressed with ND's 2013 class, so far. They will be ok in the post with Reimer and Nelson, but I don't see that as a dominating pair of players. Relative to UConn's post players from 2011 and 2012, on paper they are actually weak.
2. On the perimeter, they still don't have a pair of players that compare to KML and Jefferson.

But go ahead, keep worrying. That's your thing, apparently.

Reaction Score
While I hope we get a Diamond for 2013, I think that there is a possibility that we'll get no one from that year as the top players are looking at UConn's roster and see potential issues with playing time for 2 or so seasons. I do think that the real important year is 2014 in which if we get Turner and 2-3 other good/great players, we'll be fine in 2017 :)

Reaction Score
Sometimes it's easier for folks to talk about the games that haven't been played yet or may never be played. It's like fantasy sports. We can project all we want on paper or in our minds, but none of that means anything.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Why does it concern you that UConn fans would be bullish on their chances the next couple years? Once in a while you should try enjoying some of the benefits of being a UConn fan. No fan of a team that's made 13 Final Four's, has won 7 national titles, and 4 undefeated seasons and has a roster set up for a very nice run the next 4 years should be as bearish and generally nervous as you usually are about the program. Our roster is loaded with top talent the next several years. National championships are never guaranteed and we have a coaching staff who coaches our players with that mentality. Fans are allowed to be excited.

You can attempt to name me the teams that will have just as much talent as UConn in 2014, 2015, 2016. I don't think you will find anyone that will have veteran players as quality and accomplished as Hartley and Dolson, a rising #1 player from her class in KML, and a 2012 class to die for.

Are you bothered that some use the word dominate? UConn even in a season like 2012 was dominate in the vast majority of the games they played. UConn will be dominate in the vast majority of the games they will play in the next couple years. Obviously there are going to be teams that are tough you need to beat be it Baylor, Notre Dame, Stanford, Duke etc. Even the 2002 team had to gut out a win over Oklahoma. But after Griner is set to graduate most of the game changing players will be in UConn uniforms for 3 years. You said there will be just as many teams with as much talent as UConn. Really? I don't see anyone close after Griner graduates. Duke? Ok. If you say so. And who else will have just as much talent as we do in 2014-2016?

You do realize you are worried that in 2017 ND will have Taya Reimer as a senior and UConn will have a class of 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 that is still unknown and that of course means the power MAY be set to swing back to ND after our 2012 class graduates. And they haven't even played a game yet. Perhaps you should be a little patient and see who we end up with?

I do find it ironic that so many of your posts are so optimistic on our opponents chances. You had posts the past couple years that had me convinced Tennessee was a team to fear. You seem to think Duke is poised to be our equal in coming years. ND is set to pass us in 2017 cause they got Reimer and UConn better sign a monster 2013/2014 class or else! But UConn? UConn fans should be on edge in worry? LOL Sure!

Sweet Post.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
While I hope we get a Diamond for 2013, I think that there is a possibility that we'll get no one from that year as the top players are looking at UConn's roster and see potential issues with playing time for 2 or so seasons. I do think that the real important year is 2014 in which if we get Turner and 2-3 other good/great players, we'll be fine in 2017 :)

I don't think there is a chance that UConn gets no one from from that year. There is plenty of playing time. 2 starters will be graduating. Even if Jefferson starts for Doty and Stewart starts for Faris, UConn will have a 8 player rotation in 2013.

Stewart
Lewis
Hartley
Jefferson
Dolson
Stokes
Banks
Tuck

So, for ONE season, a player like Diamond would come off the bench. But with Hartley and Dolson graduating, she would get plenty of playing time.

Player that want the best coaching and the best chance of winning will no shy away from UConn.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Hoopgurlz - Link

we are DOOOMED!!!!!!

JS

Reaction Score
Why does it concern you that UConn fans would be bullish on their chances the next couple years? Once in a while you should try enjoying some of the benefits of being a UConn fan. * * * I do find it ironic that so many of your posts are so optimistic on our opponents chances.
Wbbfan1 is a good, loyal and knowledgeable fan of UConn in particular and women's basketball in general -- and yes, by temperament a worrier. We of a more bullish temperament can, I hope, state the contrary case without being overly personal about it.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Wbbfan1 is a good, loyal and knowledgeable fan of UConn in particular and women's basketball in general -- and yes, by temperament a worrier. We of a more bullish temperament can, I hope, state the contrary case without being overly personal about it.
Ahhh...the life of a mod.....

balancing-act-001.15073321_std.jpg

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Sometimes it's easier for folks to talk about the games that haven't been played yet or may never be played. It's like fantasy sports. We can project all we want on paper or in our minds, but none of that means anything.
Oh, ye of little faith.

Reaction Score

Its not just about having superior talent; there have been teams that have had as much or almost as much talent as UCONN, but have not been nearly as successful. Geno is the best coach in women's basketball barr none. I don't care how many all-americans a team has; if they don't have a good coach they are not going to win any championships.

HGN

Reaction Score
Heavy Is The Head That Wears The Crown my fellow Boneyarders...... UConn may indeed be suffering from its own success in potential recruits shying away because they are afraid of our team depth. But We will be just fine. Let's not worry just because ND has had a good recruiting season. Other's such as Stanford , Baylor , Duke, and Rutgers will have good classes also. UConn will get what it needs to compete effectively. I know this because I don't think Geno likes getting his butt kicked by those teams. So he and Chris will make sure that they get what is needed.

We lost out on Reimer , and may lose out on some others that we want. We have lost out on others in the past , and will again, and faired just Fine.......... And Won 7 NC's.... And we will again.

Reaction Score

I would usually agree. And I've biten my tongue and resisted responding to some of his past worry worrisome concerns.

But worrying over 2017? The power shifting back to ND? We better sign a good class this year and next or else? I mean come on. Let's not go over board. Can we wait until Bre, Morgan, and Moriah play their first game before we worry about what happens after they graduate?;)

JS

Reaction Score
Ahhh...the life of a mod.....

balancing-act-001.15073321_std.jpg

Ah, you understand so well . . . and yet you are what you are . . .

Kind of like the loose kite that comes along and wraps its tail around this guy's neck.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ah, you understand so well . . . and yet you are what you are . . .

Kind of like the loose kite that comes along and wraps its tail around this guy's neck.
And I was trying to be nice and understanding.

I've been called a lot of things, but never a loose kite.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but without those fantasy posts the board would be half its current size.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Isn't beating more talented teams even more fun?

I loved this past season. It was fun and exciting -- even the slumps. Making it to the title game would have been better, but I'm not complaining.

Now if you'll please excuse me, I need to run to the emergency room. It seems that a piece of the sky just hit me in the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom