ND Recruiting Success | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ND Recruiting Success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Elite players who are willing to work hard will always get a lot of playing time at Uconn. An elite players mindset is such that they aren't afraid other players will beat them out for playing time. Elite players make other elite teammates look better on the court. Elite players want to play for elite coaching staffs because elite players want to play at the next level after college and know the best coaches can best prepare them for the next level. The purpose of college is to train the student for the future. If you want to be a physicist, go to Cal Tech or MIT, if you want to be a WNBA basketball player, or an olympian, go to Uconn.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wbbfan1 is a good, loyal and knowledgeable fan of UConn in particular and women's basketball in general -- and yes, by temperament a worrier. We of a more bullish temperament can, I hope, state the contrary case without being overly personal about it.

I actually enjoy Wbbfan1's posts..... as a non-UCONN fan... they provide me a modicum of hope for the next few years. :p

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I thought that the OP was being tongue in cheek initially, but possibly not.

Reaction Score
I think that worrying about possible recruits in the FAR future is a time wasting effort.
We should draw a focus on the most LIKELY prospects & hone in on them: Siobhan Ruchin (2021), Maeve Ruchin (2023), Sydney Elizabeth Drinan (2024), and Rose Ruchin (2027).

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think that worrying about possible recruits in the FAR future is a time wasting effort.
We should draw a focus on the most LIKELY prospects & hone in on them: Siobhan Ruchin (2021), Maeve Ruchin (2023), Sydney Elizabeth Drinan (2024), and Rose Ruchin (2027).
Your girls? And God help you if so because by my calculation starting in 2016 and ending in 2027, you're going to have at least one teenage girl in the house...

Great names, though.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Your girls? And God help you if so because by my calculation starting in 2016 and ending in 2027, you're going to have at least one teenage girl in the house...

Great names, though.
The Rushins (spelled slightly differently) are Rebecca's kids. I'm guessing the other is Kara's kid.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The Rushins (spelled slightly differently) are Rebecca's kids. I'm guessing the other is Kara's kid.
Duh. Didn't even notice the different last name thrown in there. Rule #1: don't post while distracted by playoff basketball.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I really dont understand this thread. UConn is set this season with a great class. Next years class will be another great class. We have game changers in both classes and more then one in each class. We have the cream of the crop and whats left over everybody else is fighting for . Now that takes us pass next years class and we're working on the cream of the crop again. Geno is T Boone Pickens and whats ever left goes to SLim Pickens. Remember one thing. Geno develops his kids. Most other teams dont. So no matter who we get we will win even if some teams have more talent. Bria is clutch, Breanna is years ahead of herself and is a game changer, KML is a game changer, Moriah is a game changer, Morgan is a load to handle. Diamond is a game changer. Ok whos left for everybody else???????????????

Let me say this. Breanna is already better then Tina was and Tina was phenominal.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Duh. Didn't even notice the different last name thrown in there. Rule #1: don't post while distracted by playoff basketball.
For your situation tonight:

When Siobhan was very young, she watched her mother on TV. Rebecca was known as "Mommy Basketball." When she was a little older, Siobahn was out somewhere with Steve and saw a game on TV. She looked at it carefully and then asked her father,"Do boys play basketball too?". Priceless!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am not overly worried, but here are 2 obvious points:

Currently, our class of 2013 currently has exactly 0 players. We could get 4 really good players or we could have a tough year. We'll see. I think we get 3 or maybe 4 and have a top 3 class.

The current players are really good and improving. The Class of 2012 makes us really loaded. Barring injury, however, that entire group will be gone by 2016.

So, yes, ND currently has a lead on us for 2017. But that could change, and possibly in a big way. I would like to see it change soon.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Eric makes a very good point about the difference between "very good" and "elite" players. Geno and Pat are both excellent coaches, but their recent (if not all) national titles have only come when they had elite talent on their roster.

Summitt's last 5 championships came when she had the best player in college basketball on her roster (Parker and Holdsclaw--and Catchings was a part of one of those titles as well).

Geno's last 5 championships came when he had the best (and sometimes the two best) players in college basketball (Taurasi, and then Moore (and to a lesser extent Charles)).

All of these players were, by the way, ranked #1 coming out of high school.

There are of course exceptions to the rule. Texas A&M, Maryland (though their roster did have 4 future WNBA players) and the first Baylor championship come to mind. But in general, having the top players (and even top player) usually means you win the top prize.

i get the op's point and yes ND recruiting better means more challenges to UCONN. so does any other school who starts, or has been, recruiting better. Duke, Maryland, Stanford, Louisville, Notre Dame, aTm, RU, Tennessee, and several other schools who have made appearances in the top 5 classes over the past several years.

BUT the problem is that as of right now, only UCONN, Duke and Baylor have more than 1 of the truly elite players on their respective teams.
2009 Griner, Bone, Diggins
2010 Ogwimike, Simms, Gray, Thomas, Hartley (one of the strongest and deepest classes in recent years IMHO)
2011 KML, Williams (one of the weaker classes in recent years at the top for elite talent IMHO)
2012 Stewart, Jefferson, Jones, Loyd, Tuck and maybe Graves

UCONN - 5
Duke - 3
Baylor - 2
ND - 2
aTm, Maryland, Stanford and Tennessee all with 1.

this is not to say that other players ranked in the 5-10 range won't be terrific for teams, but when you look at the teams who are amassing the truly elite level talent - the type of kids who will either be on the short list for the NPOY award as seniors, or on the short list for the Honda, Nancy Lieberman (for PG's), etc. - it's those type of players who are the best of the best.

Schools like aTm, Stanford, L'ville, Tennessee, Rutgers, and a few others have had top 10 classes in at least 2 out of the past 3 years, but they aren't amassing the truly elite level talent like UCONN and Duke since 2010. one of the reasons i think you also have seen aTm and ND up there the last few years is because aside from those years being perfect storms for them, aTm had their Maya Moore transfer to them (Danielle Adams) and ND had a pair of 5th year seniors help lead them to this years' success.

going forward, i'm not saying a school like L'ville, aTm, Stanford, Maryland, Tennessee, Rutgers, and a few others CAN'T make it to the final 4, but the chances of them truly challenging for a NC are significantly lower without a couple of truly elite players on their teams. this is why many UCONN fans feel so strongly that UCONN will be in the NC game the next 3 years probably winning multiple NC's over that time.

Reaction Score
Rushin, Rushin, Rushin
My apology in mis-spelling the name. I don't usually do that.. must have been rushin'.
Notes from the scouts in the stands at St. Mary's, in the 2nd Grade League, indicate that Siobhan has already matched Kara (Wolter) Drinan's record & can not dunk the basketball.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Great names, though.
Look closer at the names and now think UConn greats. Oh....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom