ND Iowa ESPN 2 tonight | Page 4 | The Boneyard

ND Iowa ESPN 2 tonight

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I know ND is hated by about everyone. 95% of this board hates ND if not more
Not true. Many fans here have a problem with Muffet and some of ND's present and past players. But many ND players get at least a grudging respect here, and some, like Turner, gets my outright admiration. Most if not all Boneyarder's are WCBB fans, period, and are quite aware that some of the ND players we vilify would be praised to high heaven if they wore the blue and white.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
All very true. And really, Muffet is in my mind, at least the second best coach in WCBB, and I've said so many times on this board. The minute Shepard spoke to Muffet about transferring for the first time does anyone really believe that conditioning didn't come up?

Absolutely....like the ABCs: "....listen Jess, we need for you to "Always Be in Condition." And, btw, start now! ;)

Luckily, she's with players that strive to be that way: buddy Bri Turner and Jackie Young, who could do well in one of the Ninja competitions.
Good example for her was probably Christina "Koko" Nelson, a player who didn't have close to the talent of Shepard, but worked hard to become a very valuable member of the Irish team last year. And she pushed hard on conditioning.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Well isn't this rich. The Notre Dame fan making excuses for poor sportsmanship.
Practice, practice, practice! ;)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
@Dillon77 Why is it that You can’t get registered into McGraws Bench with a regular email? I think that’s really weird and silly.

I tried writing you an e-mail on this board but couldn't get through. In the registration area on the Bench, there's a link to the board moderators if you're having trouble/have a question. They were helpful to me a few years back. Give it a try...good luck. ;)

Reaction Score
ND looks good but beatable. Iowa highly overrated. Have one player and same team that lost in the first round of the NCAAs last seasons.
Iowa looks like a team whose offense is totally based on making 3's. The 1st half, had many open but missed shots. Question for UConn is whether they hit their's. I like ND's players and system a lot but if Huskies are making their normally %, predict 12 point win. That being said, would not want to get behind to ND and have to fight back. Tough team.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is an excellent team. They're big, strong, quick, and, yes, very well coached. And one cannot miss the determination with which they play. They remind me more of the Stanford teams than the UConn teams, however, Stanford is always big and strong, while UConn is the epitome of finesse.

Notre Dame is ranked first in no small part because of those twin peaks inside who are averaging 30 points and 20 rebounds together. Ogunbowale is amazing, and with Mabrey back, they have a dead-eye outside shooter who could go toe to toe with KLS.

ND blocks out well, swarms for rebounds, plays tenacious defense, and pounds the ball inside to their bigs. Oh, and their bench can score and rip rebounds as well.

Let's face it: there's a reason ND garnered all first-place votes in the poll. They won the NC last year, and they're better this year.

I'm rooting for our guys, but we have to remember that we don't automatically win NC's, and without a first-rate post player, we are always playing at a disadvantage. We got to the FF last year due to serendipity: Azura Stephens' arrival as a transfer. She was critical to UConn's success last year. Were she here again this year, the story and prospects would be completely different. But she's not.

Fingers crossed. But let's not delude ourselves: Notre Dame is a tremendous basketball team.

Reaction Score
After watching the OSU vs ND, and now this ND vs Iowa game, I am very impressed with ND's offensive rebounding. Scott Rueck called this out yesterday in an interview after the Vancouver Showcase Tournament. ND is also very well conditioned as a team. They get up and down the floor quickly. To beat ND, you are going to have to rebound, and, keep them from fast breaking you (keep them in the half court game).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
UConn is certainly capable of beating Notre Dame, but ND is rightfully the favorite. They just have so many weapons, so many ways they can hurt you, and so much experience. Surely no other team in the country has as many cumulative college career starts as ND's starting five.

The other thing about them is they never seem to get rattled. Even when they fall behind against a good team, they have confidence that they'll come back because, well, they've done it now so many times.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Notre Dame is an excellent team. They're big, strong, quick, and, yes, very well coached. And one cannot miss the determination with which they play. They remind me more of the Stanford teams than the UConn teams, however, Stanford is always big and strong, while UConn is the epitome of finesse.

Notre Dame is ranked first in no small part because of those twin peaks inside who are averaging 30 points and 20 rebounds together. Ogunbowale is amazing, and with Mabrey back, they have a dead-eye outside shooter who could go toe to toe with KLS.

ND blocks out well, swarms for rebounds, plays tenacious defense, and pounds the ball inside to their bigs. Oh, and their bench can score and rip rebounds as well.

Let's face it: there's a reason ND garnered all first-place votes in the poll. They won the NC last year, and they're better this year.

I'm rooting for our guys, but we have to remember that we don't automatically win NC's, and without a first-rate post player, we are always playing at a disadvantage. We got to the FF last year due to serendipity: Azura Stephens' arrival as a transfer. She was critical to UConn's success last year. Were she here again this year, the story and prospects would be completely different. But she's not.

Fingers crossed. But let's not delude ourselves: Notre Dame is a tremendous basketball team.

I root for UCONN, but I don't hate ND -- emotionally, I fear them. From an analytical viewpoint I admire them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Watching the game last night it struck me that this ND team may be the best team that UConn has faced in I don’t know how long.

Certainly, UConn is capable of pulling off the upset, but in South Bend, it’s going to require tremendous effort and great execution for 40 minutes. (Hopefully, we don’t end up with another OT game.)

Reaction Score
No but I would take a lot of other kids in this draft over her...
The few in the draft I would take before her are Brown, McCowan, Durr, Napheesa, and Lou.....that’s about it - I don’t think any other seniors are better

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
No but I would take a lot of other kids in this draft over her...

Gustafson' draft stock is interesting to me. She's not as a big as most centers and she doesn't seem to be any kind of rim protector. I also question if she's quick enough to guard 4s.

Offensively, she's great as a low-post scorer but she gives the ball up immediately if she gets the ball anywhere else on the floor. Does she have a mid-range shot? It wasn't exhibited last night. I don't think that back-to-the-basket game is going to be quite so efficient against folks like Griner and Fowles, either.

Turner isn't offensively versatile either, but she's more athletic and better on D. I think I would take her before Gustafson if I were a WNBA GM (though it's hard to tell how much that's my bias talking).

Reaction Score
The few in the draft I would take before her are Brown, McCowan, Durr, Napheesa, and Lou.....that’s about it - I don’t think any other seniors are better
I’m not saying she isn’t a first round pick but she seemed very one deminsional offensively and non existent defensively. You may not like ND but no way she is taken ahead of Arike. Arike shared the court with her last night and I don’t think there was any doubt who the best player was.

Shepard was one I was high on but her lack of energy and effort on D last night was alarming. Won’t play in the W with that type of defense.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The other thing about them is they never seem to get rattled. Even when they fall behind against a good team, they have confidence that they'll come back because, well, they've done it now so many times.

I think that's even more important than their considerable talent. Experienced group that has played a bunch of games together, that has confidence that they will find a way to win regardless of what happens early in a game.

Reaction Score
I’m not saying she isn’t a first round pick but she seemed very one deminsional offensively and non existent defensively. You may not like ND but no way she is taken ahead of Arike. Arike shared the court with her last night and I don’t think there was any doubt who the best player was.

Shepard was one I was high on but her lack of energy and effort on D last night was alarming. Won’t play in the W with that type of defense.

I don’t have a problem with ND and I’m not biased I actually like Shepard’s game, but she won’t go before Gustafson. I don’t think Arike will make it in the W. She’s very much so a volume shooter, yes she had a good game last night, but that’s not indicative of how she will perform in the W. Think Kelsey Plum, Kelsey Mitchell, Vivians and other players who scored plenty points on plenty shot attempts. Her game hasn’t improved much to me imho.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I don’t have a problem with ND and I’m not biased I actually like Shepard’s game, but she won’t go before Gustafson. I don’t think Arike will make it in the W. She’s very much so a volume shooter, yes she had a good game last night, but that’s not indicative of how she will perform in the W. Think Kelsey Plum, Kelsey Mitchell, Vivians and other players who scored plenty points on plenty shot attempts. Her game hasn’t improved much to me imho.
As to the Shepard/Gustafson comparison, there is no reason to make that pronouncement at this point in the season. Let the season play out a bit more before we assume the draft order. Sure it's fun to make predictions, but I think people's opinions may change over the course of the season. I haven't even made a decision myself.
Same with Arike. I am stunned that you think Arike won't make the WNBA. Have you seen some of the players who have jobs in the league? Arike will be drafted in the first half of the first round unless she has a miserable season. I know people (especially on this site) just call her a volume shooter, but volume is just fine if you're a guard shooting 45%. If she can get off her shot at will in the W, then she will be very successful.

Reaction Score
As to the Shepard/Gustafson comparison, there is no reason to make that pronouncement at this point in the season. Let the season play out a bit more before we assume the draft order. Sure it's fun to make predictions, but I think people's opinions may change over the course of the season. I haven't even made a decision myself.
Same with Arike. I am stunned that you think Arike won't make the WNBA. Have you seen some of the players who have jobs in the league? Arike will be drafted in the first half of the first round unless she has a miserable season. I know people (especially on this site) just call her a volume shooter, but volume is just fine if you're a guard shooting 45%. If she can get off her shot at will in the W, then she will be very successful.
I’m not basing it off what she’s done so far, I’m basing it off the past; her game has not grown. It’s still the same as last year. She will be a good bench player, but she’s no star talent in the league. That’s just my opinion. And Of course she will go first round, didn’t say she wouldn’t.

Reaction Score
I’m not basing it off what she’s done so far, I’m basing it off the past; her game has not grown. It’s still the same as last year. She will be a good bench player, but she’s no star talent in the league. That’s just my opinion. And Of course she will go first round, didn’t say she wouldn’t.

You said she would not make it in the WNBA. Being a good bench player is making it.

Reaction Score
You said she would not make it in the WNBA. Being a good bench player is making it.
Ok, obviously you all think she’s better than what I think she is and that’s ok. It’s just my opinion and let’s just agree to disagree.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

The AP did a mock draft based on a poll of WNBA coaches and GMs and Shepard was projected as a 1st round pick. Gustafson was not. Shepard was invited to USAB training camp this fall. Gustafson was not.

We will see, but it appears Shepard's stock is higher than Gustafson's.

Kelsey Plum showed vast improvement last year and finished with a rock solid 15.4 PER in just her second season. She's already a solid pro. Mitchell and Vivians were drafted by a terrible Indiana team. I don't think it's fair to judge them after just one year.

I think all 3 of them will have nice pro careers. I also think Arike will have a nice pro career.

Arike reminds me a lot of Epiphanny Prince and Cappie Pondexter, a couple of other hyper-quick trigger-happy shooting guards who were WNBA all-stars.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Arike reminds me a lot of Epiphanny Prince and Cappie Pondexter, a couple of other hyper-quick trigger-happy shooting guards who were WNBA all-stars.

Arike never has had Pondexter's commitment to defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom