ND Iowa ESPN 2 tonight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

ND Iowa ESPN 2 tonight

Reaction Score
Jackie had a really quiet 15 Points tonight. I had to go back and see the box score. Because I wondered how many points she had.

Reaction Score
21 point lead, game over. I think Gustafson got fouled again, no whistle. Now an 11-1 foul difference and not surprisingly 11-0 FTA disparity. ND doesn't need help from the refs but they get it anyway.

oh you wait..................I bet they'll be some pretty interesting foul calls on Sunday...................you know ND wants Collier and KLS out of the game as soon as possible.................we're going to be debating what's a charge and what's not for the next week............

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Nixon and Gilbert are injured. ND only has 1 scholarship guard on the bench.
UConn is down to 9 that can suit up. One of the nine is back from an injury last year (ONO). Still, despite this, ND fans were on Geno for playing his starters too long. The starters were a freshman that Genos trying to get up to speed in a hurry and a sophomore newly inserted into the starting lineup, so, ditto.

Pot, meet kettle.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Seriously? This is what you complain about? The MOV not large enough for you? I think the walk-ons will be okay and no one else will give another thought to this.

Eh, I just thought it was a funny and maybe ever-so-slightly tacky. It actually probably benefited ND by giving the backups a chance to play against an elite player

I was actually going to delete my post but your reply popped up before I came to my senses. Ah well.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
By the way Shepard, as I predicted in her freshman year, had to really changed her body in order to be high level WCBB ready. Nice team Muffet has.
I noticed the same thing that besides Jessica, Mabry and Arike also look in better shape. I thought after you win a title, you’re supposed to hit the banquet circuit and gain weight from all the buffets?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
More I watch this game the less I’m impressed with Gustafson’s moves. She does the same thing every time she catches. ND starting to figure that out.

That being said, she has zero help.

I just came over from McGraw's Bench and it's interesting that my first post will be defending a player from the team we just played.

Gustafson does, indeed, does do somewhat the same thing when she catches the ball. But the beauty of what she does begins before that. She establishes position early and once she seals her position and establishes her pivot foot (right or left) the defender is done. Once she does that, she can pretty much do the same move -- that quick catch and (mostly) 3/4 hook. She adjusts it a bit to the height of the defender, but she's awfully good at it.

Like her composure to boot.

I think her running partner at forward, Stewart, is pretty good, too, but she was beat by having to play against Turner, Shepard and Patterson.

BTW, Gustafson and Stewart will be even better when Kathleen Doyle comes back at point guard and will deliver more accurate passes and/or reverses the ball when there are double teams.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I noticed the same thing that besides Jessica, Mabry and Arike also look in better shape. I thought after you win a title, you’re supposed to hit the banquet circuit and gain weight from all the buffets?

As Deb Antonelli has said, Shepard has lost more than 35 pounds since arriving at ND.

Mabrey and Arike averaged nearly 35 minutes a game after Lili Thompson was injured last year and played virtually every minute of the NCAA's. And they won the title. By "better shape," what exactly do you mean?

Reaction Score
As Deb Antonelli has said, Shepard has lost more than 35 pounds since arriving at ND.

Mabrey and Arike averaged nearly 35 minutes a game after Lili Thompson was injured last year and played virtually every minute of the NCAA's. And they won the title. By "better shape," what exactly do you mean?
I admire Shepard for getting serious about her conditioning. I saw her play as a chubby HS player in the TOC in Phoenix. She's obviously an attentive career manager, so probably gearing up for the WNBA draft.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

It looked like both Arike and Marina lost some weight- not that they were outta shape. Arike in particular looked less “solid” maybe Dancing with the Stars helped that.
BTW Nice game by ND tonight. What was the deal with Mabry at 1:07 left in the 3rd when she received a pass from Turner went under and was bumped as a fouled, missed the shot but went to the line and with the camera up close goes “ me” (obviously I am using forum correct vernacular). ND was up 25 point at that point. Freakin’ lighten up and act maturely.
These antics are exactly why she irritates so many people, I get it that it’s her motor but still. If she pulls any of these shenanigans Sunday I can’t say I won’t go Thread ballistic on her...

Reaction Score
It looked like both Arike and Marina lost some weight- not that they were outta shape. Arike in particular looked less “solid” maybe Dancing with the Stars helped that.
BTW Nice game by ND tonight. What was the deal with Mabry at 1:07 left in the 3rd when she received a pass from Turner went under and was bumped as a fouled, missed the shot but went to the line and with the camera up close goes “ me” (obviously I am using forum correct vernacular). ND was up 25 point at that point. Freakin’ lighten up and act maturely.
These antics are exactly why she irritates so many people, I get it that it’s her motor but still. If she pulls any of these shenanigans Sunday I can’t say I won’t go Thread ballistic on her...
Marinas attitude has gotten her to this point. She has become the player she is. Because of Her attitude. Her attitude represents the way she plays Physical, Gritty, won’t back down from anyone stands up for her teammates. She is talented but not as Talented as a Young, Arike, Turner, or even Shepard I’d say. She makes up for that with all I said plus playing with a chip on Her shoulder. She feels she has to prove something every time she plays.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Marinas attitude has gotten her to this point. She has become the player she is. Because of Her attitude. Her attitude represents the way she plays Physical, Gritty, won’t back down from anyone stands up for her teammates. She is talented but not as Talented as a Young, Arike, Turner, or even Shepard I’d say. She makes up for that with all I said plus playing with a chip on Her shoulder. She feels she has to prove something every time she plays.
Well isn't this rich. The Notre Dame fan making excuses for poor sportsmanship.

Reaction Score
Lol. Love the Boneyard! Sunday should be interesting. Both teams had a really good shooting game before the matchup, wonder if it's going to come down to attitude n grit? Anybody? IMO, staying out of foul trouble, being aggressive going to the rim and knocking down 3's will be key. I would suggest winning rebound , but that's unrealistic. If we can keep offensive rebound margin close as well as ft's... Man that's a lot. Lol. C'mon Huskies!

Reaction Score
I see UCONN fans making excuses all the time. Y’all would stand up for Marina if She played for UCONN. So Get Over It. It’s that simple.

Reaction Score
Lol. Love the Boneyard! Sunday should be interesting. Both teams had a really good shooting game before the matchup, wonder if it's going to come down to attitude n grit? Anybody? IMO, staying out of foul trouble, being aggressive going to the rim and knocking down 3's will be key. I would suggest winning rebound , but that's unrealistic. If we can keep offensive rebound margin close as well as ft's... Man that's a lot. Lol. C'mon Huskies!

Fouls might be an issue. They don’t call fouls on Notre Dame.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Two years at Nebraska and the only thing she lost was faith and confidence. Think the two programs, ND and Nebraska, are just a little different?

Reaction Score
I don’t criticize girls my age for the way they play basketball. I’m probably one of the Younger people on this board who sees things differently.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Two years at Nebraska and the only thing she lost was faith and confidence. Think the two programs, ND and Nebraska, are just a little different?

I think I got your point here Jordy (it's been a long day). Yes, I don't think things worked out for Jess Shepard quite the way she planned at Nebraska, particularly after Connie Yow "resigned."

So, she obviously got the faith and confidence back last year working with coaches and teammates. And perhaps the will to take herself to the next level.

Will be interesting to keep track of further progress....

Reaction Score
You should know that the rest of the world sees her as a dirty player, not just the sour-puss with that nasty, ugly sneer that you see all the time.

She’s the ND version of Stewie.

Reaction Score
@Dillon77 Why is it that You can’t get registered into McGraws Bench with a regular email? I think that’s really weird and silly.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'll give you that, for sure. (Except for Manti Te'o's girlfriend - I think she was sorta luke warm on the Irish.)
1543554512855.png

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think I got your point here Jordy (it's been a long day). Yes, I don't think things worked out for Jess Shepard quite the way she planned at Nebraska, particularly after Connie Yow "resigned."

So, she obviously got the faith and confidence back last year working with coaches and teammates. And perhaps the will to take herself to the next level.

Will be interesting to keep track of further progress....
All very true. And really, Muffet is in my mind, at least the second best coach in WCBB, and I've said so many times on this board. The minute Shepard spoke to Muffet about transferring for the first time does anyone really believe that conditioning didn't come up?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom