ND Fans arguing over Big 10 | The Boneyard

ND Fans arguing over Big 10

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Over at Rocks House (ND Fan Forum), there was a discussion on the Big10 and several fans were arguing that it was in their best interest!

Link

Give it read. Some seem to hate being in the ACC and being UNC's and Dukes "doormat" and they would rather play the Purdue's and Illinois' than the Wake's of the ACC.

Cue TerryD in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1

Last edited:

dayooper

Reaction Score
I know it's not happening, but it's still fun to play around with. Using the 20 team pod system with ND, UConn, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and some other western school. It might look like this:

A: PSU, Maryland, Rutgers, ND, UConn
B: Michigan, OSU, MSU, Indiana, Purdue
C: Illinois, NW, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa
D: Texas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, ISU

Or Two teams (ND and UConn):

A: PSU, Maryland, UConn, Rutgers
B: OSU, Michigan, MSU, Indiana
C: Purdue, ND, Illinois, NW
D: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska

Reaction Score
ND would win their pod in the 2 team add every year.

dayooper

Reaction Score
ND would win their pod in the 2 team add every year.

Not if the pods rotated every two years. As of right now, there can only be a conference final, no semi's. I highly doubt the ACC would facilitate the move by placating the Big10. By combining two of the pods, they become one division. Rotating the divisions every two years gives each team a chance to play each other more often.

Year 1 and 2

D1: Michigan, OSU, MSU, Indiana, PSU, Maryland, Rutgers, UConn
D2: ND, Purdue, Illinois, NW, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska

Year 3 and 4

D1: Michigan, OSU, MSU, Indiana, ND, Purdue, NW, Illinois
D2: PSU, Maryland, Rutgers, UConn, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska

Year 5 and 6

D1: Michigan, OSU, MSU, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska
D2: PSU, Maryland, Rutgers, UConn, ND, Purdue, NW, Illinois

Again, none of this is happening, but it's fun to speculate.

Reaction Score
Every school except UConn is P5 in your list. So, for UConn fans, who remain on the outside looking in, it is not fun to speculate. And you are right, none of this is happening,

Reaction Score
Not if the pods rotated every two years. As of right now, there can only be a conference final, no semi's. I highly doubt the ACC would facilitate the move by placating the Big10. By combining two of the pods, they become one division. Rotating the divisions every two years gives each team a chance to play each other more often.

Year 1 and 2

D1: Michigan, OSU, MSU, Indiana, PSU, Maryland, Rutgers, UConn
D2: ND, Purdue, Illinois, NW, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska

Year 3 and 4

D1: Michigan, OSU, MSU, Indiana, ND, Purdue, NW, Illinois
D2: PSU, Maryland, Rutgers, UConn, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska

Year 5 and 6

D1: Michigan, OSU, MSU, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska
D2: PSU, Maryland, Rutgers, UConn, ND, Purdue, NW, Illinois

Again, none of this is happening, but it's fun to speculate.
You're right it wouldn't happen, because what it would do is force the the ACC's hand first. Swofford is no dumbell, they would invite Uconn and ND in all sports first before the Big Ten had a chance to act.

Reaction Score
To be honest , as a poster on Rock House it surprises me who is advocating for the Big 10; and with vigor.
I missed that thread some how.

dayooper

Reaction Score
To be honest , as a poster on Rock House it surprises me who is advocating for the Big 10; and with vigor.
I missed that thread some how.

It took me by surprise when it was linked to the victors. Rocks Place is as hard core keeping ND tradition as it gets and that thought process was not what I expected. Wanting Big10 football over ACC basketball was something I never thought I'd see there.

What are your thoughts on the topic?

Reaction Score
It took me by surprise when it was linked to the victors. Rocks Place is as hard core keeping ND tradition as it gets and that thought process was not what I expected. Wanting Big10 football over ACC basketball was something I never thought I'd see there.

What are your thoughts on the topic?
Biggest surprise that is a alumnus heavy board. Most in that thread are graduates I believe.
Really I don't care, we stink and I see through the facade of the independence then now. When a conference is dictating almost have your schedule it is hard to believe you are independent.

I do not hate the Big 10, I do not love them; they (Big 10) geographically make a heck of a lot more sense than the ACC.

long story short? indifferent really. I am not going to defend a marketing ploy by our admin(quasi-independence).

Reaction Score
It's a mute point...for the rest of my lifetime....with 20 years to go on the contract.

Reaction Score
It's a mute point...for the rest of my lifetime....with 20 years to go on the contract.

One more time... ND buys itself out of the ACC. Football deal is a moot point. I think.

Reaction Score
Keep saying that as the years roll by.

I'll believe it when a GOR is busted....

I'll be here. ND had all the leverage. Not sure why they would have offered more than they had to. See Old Big East, Hockey East.

Reaction Score
Yeah...yeah...but they did...they signed a GOR and a contract that binds them to joining the ACC if they ever join a conference...until 2036..

And I won't be here to see the next development...2036 is a bridge to far.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame hasn't played a 5 game a year yearly football schedule within any conference either....

The Big East's administration did not negotiate well with ND....

The ACC tied them up enough while giving them the football independence they wanted...The Domers wanted that independence but wanted a home for other sports and a bowl tie in. The ACC was not without leverage.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame hasn't played a 5 game a year yearly football schedule within any conference either....

The Big East's administration did not negotiate well with ND....

The ACC tied them up enough while giving them the football independence they wanted...The Domers wanted that independence but wanted a home for other sports and a bowl tie in. The ACC was not without leverage.

I don't think the ACC has a hand in the ND home-game rights-pie. So then you dive into the unknown territory of what happens with the 2/3 away games. If Notre Dame withdraws from the conference, those games don't get played (after a while anyway). I'm sure there are exit provisions unique to ND there, and I don't think we can assume much. Assuming that ND is locked down until 2036 is absolutely a bridge too far.

pj

Reaction Score
You're right it wouldn't happen, because what it would do is force the the ACC's hand first. Swofford is no dumbell, they would invite UConn and ND in all sports first before the Big Ten had a chance to act.

Don't be silly, the ACC has already invited Notre Dame (with UConn as partner) and Notre Dame has not said yes. Nor would Notre Dame say yes without thoroughly exploring its alternatives. The Big Ten will have its chance.

Reaction Score
nah! You won't see the Irish going anywhere...to assume that they will is a a reach. And that includes joining football in the ACC.

Swarbrick went on the record this spring saying they "love the ACC" and "love the relationship the way it is". That means indy for football.

They signed the same GOR as everyone else for their non football programs and an agreement to play five football games a year with the ACC through 2036. As well as an agreement that they would not join any conference other than the ACC during the contract period.

Reaction Score
ND would have to negotiate several deals to leave the ACC. First is the exit fee(3 times the conference payout) Second is the GOR attached to their basketball/Olympic sports& Third is their football/bowl agreement. I'm not saying it can't be done but that seems like a lot of unnecessary expenses to incur

Reaction Score
Very few ND fans that I know want to see a move to the Big Ten. Joining for hockey isn't in any way analogous to joining for football. While the Big Ten has some geographical advantages for non revenue sports, these same geographic limitations would hurt the recruiting efforts for football. Additionally, it's not like ND has a football history with many Big Ten teams. Outside of Purdue, Michigan State, and Michigan, it's pretty limited. Maybe Northwestern, but it's more important that ND keep SC, Stanford and Navy on the schedule, with occasional meetings with the Big Ten teams I just noted. This scheduling keeps ND in a position to recruit in California and Florida, as well as its home territory of the Midwest.

Reaction Score
I
Very few ND fans that I know want to see a move to the Big Ten. Joining for hockey isn't in any way analogous to joining for football. While the Big Ten has some geographical advantages for non revenue sports, these same geographic limitations would hurt the recruiting efforts for football. Additionally, it's not like ND has a football history with many Big Ten teams. Outside of Purdue, Michigan State, and Michigan, it's pretty limited. Maybe Northwestern, but it's more important that ND keep SC, Stanford and Navy on the schedule, with occasional meetings with the Big Ten teams I just noted. This scheduling keeps ND in a position to recruit in California and Florida, as well as its home territory of the Midwest.
I think they want to stay independent in football. If they join any conference, they'll lose a lot of their 50 state recruiting power, as well as the Notre Dame mystique.

Reaction Score
ND would have to negotiate several deals to leave the ACC. First is the exit fee(3 times the conference payout) Second is the GOR attached to their basketball/Olympic sports& Third is their football/bowl agreement. I'm not saying it can't be done but that seems like a lot of unnecessary expenses to incur

If this is right, Notre Dame received 4.3 million last year.

4.3 million * 3 + parting gifts gets ND out of the ACC.

The parting gifts may well be millions of dollars. My point (that I'm sure everyone is tired of now) is that Notre Dame is not like the others (unless their lawyers were sleeping). Why would they pay the full exit fee when they're only reaping a fraction of the benefits?

Sure, there's the GoR thing. The conference exit fee is the primary mechanism for collecting the value of the GoR since no one really knows how well the GoR would stand up in court. At the 3x payout level there's plenty of room to write a nice check, and there's simply no way ND willingly surrendered their rights for the next 20 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know it's not happening, but it's still fun to play around with. Using the 20 team pod system with ND, UConn, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and some other western school. It might look like this:

A: PSU, Maryland, Rutgers, ND, UConn
B: Michigan, OSU, MSU, Indiana, Purdue
C: Illinois, NW, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa
D: Texas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, ISU

Or Two teams (ND and UConn):

A: PSU, Maryland, UConn, Rutgers
B: OSU, Michigan, MSU, Indiana
C: Purdue, ND, Illinois, NW
D: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska

Nothing more than another attempt to troll us.

Reaction Score
If this is right, Notre Dame received 4.3 million last year.

4.3 million * 3 + parting gifts gets ND out of the ACC.

The parting gifts may well be millions of dollars. My point (that I'm sure everyone is tired of now) is that Notre Dame is not like the others (unless their lawyers were sleeping). Why would they pay the full exit fee when they're only reaping a fraction of the benefits?

Sure, there's the GoR thing. The conference exit fee is the primary mechanism for collecting the value of the GoR since no one really knows how well the GoR would stand up in court. At the 3x payout level there's plenty of room to write a nice check, and there's simply no way ND willingly surrendered their rights for the next 20 years.

Sigh!1

Along with The Dude...so many lawyer wannabees....

The GOR is a much more powerful agreement than the exit fee....and, like the Dude, you imagine facts..like "there is no way that Notre Dame willingly surrendered their rights for 20 years"....

The ACC has announced that Notre Dame is contractually obligated to join the ACC if they decide to give up independence..Reported everywhere.....Without refutation. Is there any thing to the contrary? No.

Reaction Score
Sigh!1

Along with The Dude...so many lawyer wannabees....

The GOR is a much more powerful agreement than the exit fee....and, like the Dude, you imagine facts..like "there is no way that Notre Dame willingly surrendered their rights for 20 years"....

The ACC has announced that Notre Dame is contractually obligated to join the ACC if they decide to give up independence..Reported everywhere.....Without refutation. Is there any thing to the contrary? No.

Well at least you're not challenging me on the full exit fee.

Perhaps some progress has been made.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom