NCAA tourney thread - Regionals | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA tourney thread - Regionals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know college basketball isn't transitive, and the fact that we lost still sucks, but we did keep it closer than a UMD team with a ton of hype.

Yah, we only lost by 11!!

Reaction Score
It's real hard for me to pull for KU, I lived in KC fora while. What an insufferable lot - fortunately uconn won two titles when I lived here.

I will admit they are much more palatable when I don't have to listen to the KU fan rubbish everyday.

Reaction Score
If I remember he was there for the taking, wasn't the thinking we weren't taking any chances on kids at that point and we thought there might be academic red flags with Bell? We dodged several bullets but he's a kid I would have loved to have at UConn.
Don't know if it was a test score or academics in general but yea he had his official visit lined up and then the administration blocked it. He had to sit out his freshman year at Oregon but he is worth waiting on, dude is 6'7" tops and has built a lid around the rim and basket.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yah, we only lost by 11!!

I said the loss still sucks. It's merely an encouraging sign of growth that we did better against them than a team that seriously outclassed us back in December.

Reaction Score
I said the loss still sucks. It's merely an encouraging sign of growth that we did better against them than a team that seriously outclassed us back in December.

OK, I guess that is something

Reaction Score
Maryland is one of the reasons UConn took a reputation hit among so many fans. Gary Williams crying to Kornheiser for that ridiculous hit job during the Gay recruitment really set UConn back.

I hate Maryland, always will.

Reaction Score
thank god 21 feet of Plumlees is finally over in college hoops

Reaction Score
Glad Brooks rubbed a 3 right in Greyson Allens nose at the end of the game.

Reaction Score
Was Ratface chastising a Duck in the congratulatory line for trying to hug Allen at the buzzer? Sure looked like one of the oregon guys saying "My bad, my bad, my bad? CBS just showed the buzzer...

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Was Ratface chastising a Duck in the congratulatory line for trying to hug Allen at the buzzer? Sure looked like one of the oregon guys saying "My bad, my bad, my bad? CBS just showed the buzzer...
He most certainly was...

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
He most certainly was...

What sportsmanship? The shot clock was running down and he took a really long three. Screw K. The kid just knocked it down. Sportsmanship apparently needs to be taught to Allen who apparently goes to the Reddick school of post game behavior.

Reaction Score
These guys get hypersensitive about what the other team does at the end of games when the outcome is decided and they're just playing the remainder of time out. So he didn't let the shot clock run out. Decided to heave a long one before it expired and it went in. If it's blatant "in your face" nose-rubbing that's one thing. This wasn't. Suck it up and accept the loss.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
What sportsmanship? The shot clock was running down and he took a really long three. Screw K. The kid just knocked it down. Sportsmanship apparently needs to be taught to Allen who apparently goes to the Reddick school of post game behavior.

Not to mention K is a 'in liar. He sat in the presser and said "All I told him was he was a terrific player" in response to a question about it.
If that is the case why can you plainly see the Oregon kid mouthing "my bad, my bad" in response to K.
So K lied about it, and is calling the kid a liar because the kid told the press exactly what K said.

Always classy.

What a douchenozzle. Its a wonder he attracts the Grayson Allens.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not to mention K is a 'in liar. He sat in the presser and said "All I told him was he was a terrific player" in response to a question about it.
If that is the case why can you plainly see the Oregon kid mouthing "my bad, my bad" in response to K.
So K lied about it, and is calling the kid a liar because the kid told the press exactly what K said.

Always classy.

What a douchenozzle. Its a wonder he attracts the Grayson Allens.

I used to have a small bit of respect for K but somehow the guy turned into, well a Rat - he is a most ungracious loser
Allen is a different story - a clone of another Puke player, that chest stomper CL - Allen looks like one of those guys you just hate because he looks like a DB
Good riddance to Puke, K and Allen

Reaction Score
I used to have a small bit of respect for K but somehow the guy turned into, well a Rat - he is a most ungracious loser
Allen is a different story - a clone of another Puke player, that chest stomper CL - Allen looks like one of those guys you just hate because he looks like a DB
I liked the announcer tidbit that GAllen used to get kicked out of gym class in junior high, almost spun to be this is a good thing cuz he's just so damn competitive that he can't help himself. And then Coach K was first to encourage him to utilize those overly competitive impulses. This is exactly why we end up hating Laettner, Hurley, Wojotripper1, Reddick & Graytripper2 their coach encourages them to push the envelope. But oddly the announcers mentioning Laetnner's comment that he regrets stepping on the Kentucky player to this day and wishes he could take it back was the most telling part of the discussion.

Reddick has rehabbed himself in the NBA, Laettner was really never able to overcome playing the villain or discover a 2nd act as a player, maybe he's finally got the perspective Rod tried to pound into him so many years ago...

Reaction Score
Coach K lecturing an opposing player on sportsmanship is absurd, losing gracefully has never exactly been his thing. Brooks shot a prayer three for the heck of it because it was going to be a shotclock violation. The worst part about it is coach K is basically calling Brooks a liar. Brooks said K told him he is a great player but he really needs to learn sportsmanship and Brooks says something along the lines of I take his constructive criticism seriously because K is a legend. K turns around in the press conference and says he didn't tell Brooks anything about winning graciously, all he told him is that he's a wonderful player. The guy is one hell of a coach but he really is a rat.

Reaction Score
My respect for the guy is waning as well. He has turned into the cranky old guy like Knight did. Time to retire. Every year that goes by, K only gets worse. I think he somewhat sold out his integrity to try and compete with the squid. He may just be trying to block the squid from achieving a good legacy but it appears to be wearing on him. Something is. Maybe it is just old age.

Reaction Score
Before we put Duke in the rearview, what in the hell happened with Sean Obi, I saw probably at least parts of 10 Duke games and most of those were after Jefferson went down and they were thin up front and I never saw him play a minute. A Duke degree is nice but dude made a dumb decision going there if he actually wants to play ball, with the guys they got coming in next year he's not getting minutes next year either.

Reaction Score
Before we put Duke in the rearview, what in the hell happened with Sean Obi, I saw probably at least parts of 10 Duke games and most of those were after Jefferson went down and they were thin up front and I never saw him play a minute. A Duke degree is nice but dude made a dumb decision going there if he actually wants to play ball, with the guys they got coming in next year he's not getting minutes next year either.

thought he had to sit out this season?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

He came over there from Rice. I would assume that the degree means more to him than to most.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
My respect for the guy is waning as well. He has turned into the cranky old guy like Knight did. Time to retire. Every year that goes by, K only gets worse. I think he somewhat sold out his integrity to try and compete with the squid. He may just be trying to block the squid from achieving a good legacy but it appears to be wearing on him. Something is. Maybe it is just old age.

In the words of Captain McCluskey:
"Ah, I guess I'm gettin' too old for my job. Too grouchy -- can't stand the aggravation. You
know how it is..."

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I actually thought about starting a separate thread about Obi. He logged 6 minutes in the OT game against ND in the ACC tourney, but that was only because Duke needed eligible bodies late in the game. Outside of that he logged a total of 6 total minutes in ACC play, and just 15 total minutes in OOC play.

You would have thought with all the injuries and Jeter not playing well that Obi would have gotten at least some burn. Nope, not at all. And you're right, if he didn't get minutes this year he sure as hell isn't getting any next year with that class.

Enjoy the Duke degree I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds