NCAA Tournament, week 1 of 3 | Page 23 | The Boneyard

NCAA Tournament, week 1 of 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
All the feels.

But ... please don't go! Please don't be like those fair-weather Notre Dame fans that head for the hills just because their team isn't a Final Four team anymore.
Do we actually miss any of those people, though? :p

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I remember after NC State lost a tough 2nd round-game at Texas several years ago, with those two great senior guards they had (Spencer plus another whose name escapes me for the moment), I thought NC State would take a step back the following year. But IIRC, despite losing two all-conference-level players, they were just as good or even better the following year! (Maybe that was Cunane's freshman year?)

There were alot of angry posters on here watching that game (well at least me and a few others). They wuz Robbed..

Reaction Score
NC State has had very strong teams going all the way back to the 70s under Yow, and is one of the leading WBB programs of the ACC all-time. They will have great success again very soon - perhaps starting next season. Moore is a proven winner as a head coach and won't let the program go stagnant. I'm sure the successes of the recent years will only be a foundation for great recruiting and future success......

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
NC State and Maryland had good numbers but I was hoping for more given their teams.
NC State's Reynolds Coliseum has a maximum seating capacity of 5500. Considering the second round game with Kansas State started at 4 pm on a Monday, I'd say an attendance of over 4600 was pretty good -- over 93% capacity.

Reaction Score
So a team that lost to Missouri and Kentucky in the same season would be incapable of losing to Miami? It's not like a lightning strike. Happened twice.
I just watched a non-competitive game in which Carolina shot 30% from the field, but sure.

Reaction Score
Surprisingly, none of the top recruits in this year's class signed with NC State. Coach Moore indicated he will have to hit the transfer portal. Our days as an elite, highly-ranked team in WCBB are numbered, and will end when this NCAAT concludes.

And I will tell you something. I have been a really big fan of the Wolfpack Women for nearly 40 years, ever since I set foot on the campus of North Carolina State University in the fall of 1984. WCBB will never, ever be the same for me once this season ends, however it ends. No group of players wearing the Red and White will ever be able to compare with the squads we have had the last three seasons.

I will still follow them, and watch all of their games on TV, but going forward, being ranked #12 or #15 (and possibly, not even ranked at all anymore) and finishing second, third, or sixth place in the ACC, and reverting to going back to being The Hunter rather than The Hunted, just won't be the same as it was in the pre-Cunane and Company days. So, in an ironic twist, the high levels of success NC State has had the last few seasons, set a bar of excellence that could never, ever be equalled, and a level of enthusiasm and excitement that will wane and fade.

And that likely will also mean the end of my regular posting days here at The Boneyard. It has been fun, reading what others have to say about NC State from the perspectives of fan bases of other teams, chuckling at some posts...getting downright irritated at others and having to hold back what I have REALLY wanted to say sometimes, since I always have to remind myself that I am a guest here...but NC State won't be a member of the group of contenders anymore after this season, and won't be a team discussed much by others.

So, this season, I am just taking it all in and enjoying the ride. This high-level of success is what I have wanted for NC State ever since UCONN ended the great run of Andrea Stinson and Rhonda Mapp over 30 years ago...and I just can't envision us returning to this level in the near future...if ever. And now that it is here, and the season has just a few days left, I am feeling, in the dark recesses of my mind, a twinge of sadness that I know will come pouring out when it's all over, whether the end comes in Bridgeport or Minneapolis.

Well, if South Carolina doesn't win I hope NC State does.

I know a little bit about waiting for success and knowing it was about to win.

South Carolina lost a football game to a bad Tennessee team in Spurrier's last big year and I knew that was going to be it for national contention. I actually went outside and yelled for the first time since I was 7. Boy did it go quick after that season.

I don't think Miller is necessarily a minute from retiring though and I think you might do better than you think going forward. Have hope.

You do have to worry about those rising Tar Heels though.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
There were alot of angry posters on here watching that game (well at least me and a few others). They wuz Robbed..
No, they weren't. The refs had been calling blocks and charges consistently throughout the entire game, including down the stretch. Right or wrong, they were consistent.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Point being that Arizona has good shooters, it's more the system that's making them shoot such a low percentage. Oregon's ball movement was brilliant in 2020 when Chavez shot almost 50%, then dropped significantly once their offense disappeared in the post-Sabrina year
THIS. This is one of the most intelligent callouts I’ve seen on here. The teams that “can’t shoot” usually have capable shooting guards - it’s hard to make it in the college game if you can’t hit - but play within structured systems that either leave rhythm shots difficult to come by or creates another advantage on the court at the expense of shooters.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Totally agree with those pointing to weaker ball movement from both Oregon and Arizona this season.

And FWIW, I'm not sure either Arizona or Oregon has had an especially good facilitator the past two seasons. Sabrina was obviously aces for Oregon, and McDonald was better than I think a lot of people give her credit for, but in the games I watched of both teams this season, I didn't see anyone who really had amazing vision to facilitate things. Arizona kind of did it by committee and Oregon split duties between PaoPao, Scherr, and Rogers, but Pao Pao and Rogers really feel more like shooting guards who look first to drive or shoot, and Scherr just never seemed that comfortable running the point. How much of that is the system versus the personnel, I can't say, but it is noticeable that both offenses were often much more disjointed than they have been in recent years.

Probably the most telling stat is that both teams only had 1.5-3 more assists per game than their opponents, and they were among the best teams in a mediocre conference this year.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Looks at your quote, then looks at your avatar. :rolleyes:
You beating a dead horse won't change the outcome of that game 4 or so years ago. At least one of the ESPN studio analysts (Lobo maybe?) agreed that the call on the floor was the right call. I'll trust her expertise over others.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So....If South Dakota was able to manage Nylissa Smith and the Baylor squad at Baylor, shouldn't they be able to handle Naz Hillman and the Michigan team at a neutral site? To me this is the most intriguing matchup on Saturday where an upset can occur.

Like I said, call me crazy but I also think Creighton can beat Iowa State...maybe I just want to a certain father go berserk in the stands again and no @triaddukefan I am not talking about Daria Mabry's father....Though that would be entertaining too...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
So....If South Dakota was able to manage Nylissa Smith and the Baylor squad at Baylor, shouldn't they be able to handle Naz Hillman and the Michigan team at a neutral site? To me this is the most intriguing matchup on Saturday where an upset can occur.

Like I said, call me crazy but I also think Creighton can beat Iowa State...maybe I just want to a certain father go berserk in the stands again and no @triaddukefan I am not talking about Daria Mabry's father....Though that would be entertaining too...
If South Dakota and Creighton both win, @Plebe 's pride regarding non P5 teams might cause him to explode.

Reaction Score

Good question. You'd think it would be that simple, but I'm not so sure about that. Baylor shot themselves in the foot with their first quarter and that can't all be placed on Smith's shoulders. Baylor also made an asinine number of 3 point shot attempts and kept at it even though they were ice cold. Michigan isn't a 3pt shooting team even though Nolan can be streaky.

If Michigan can control turnovers and maintain their composure, they should win.........not by a lot, but a win nonetheless. They figured out how to pull away from Villanova. Previous games this season, they would have collapsed.

I'm with you regarding Creighton having a shot with Iowa State. Was talking to a friend who thinks there height should be to their advantage. I couldn't help but laugh because I'm sure Iowa fans were thinking the same thing last Sunday. It's going to come down to scoring. If Creighton can keep Donarski and Ryan in check, Iowa State will have their own challenges.

Reaction Score
Pardon me for interrupting folks' grasping for narratives, but while some folks are talking a big game about this vs. that conference, P5 vs. mid-majors, etc., at the end of the day, we're likely to see multiple Sweet Sixteen bids from the Big Ten, Big 12, SEC, ACC, and (hopefully, pending Arizona's game) the Pac-12, along with the Big East (which, in basketball, has always felt a bit like a sixth P5, especially on the men's side). Indeed, 15 of 16 bids will go to the P5+Big East, and the only true "mid-major" in the Sweet Sixteen is South Dakota, which has been to the Dance the last three tournaments, and won the WNIT recently.

While some individual teams have underperformed, I guess I'm not seeing anything so shocking this year as to reassess my general view that this year is playing out much like every year does - some big seeds go down early, some 11-15 seeds make some noise, and in the end the same handful of players are in conversation to cut down the nets at the regional finals and in the Final Four.
Creighton

Reaction Score
Totally agree with those pointing to weaker ball movement from both Oregon and Arizona this season.

And FWIW, I'm not sure either Arizona or Oregon has had an especially good facilitator the past two seasons. Sabrina was obviously aces for Oregon, and McDonald was better than I think a lot of people give her credit for, but in the games I watched of both teams this season, I didn't see anyone who really had amazing vision to facilitate things. Arizona kind of did it by committee and Oregon split duties between PaoPao, Scherr, and Rogers, but Pao Pao and Rogers really feel more like shooting guards who look first to drive or shoot, and Scherr just never seemed that comfortable running the point. How much of that is the system versus the personnel, I can't say, but it is noticeable that both offenses were often much more disjointed than they have been in recent years.

Probably the most telling stat is that both teams only had 1.5-3 more assists per game than their opponents, and they were among the best teams in a mediocre conference this year.
The absence of a true PG harmed Stanford earlier in the year and likely will do the same for South Carolina next year with Henderson’s absence. Before you can take good shots, you have to create good shots, and no one is more equipped to do so than the floor facilitator. I agree the absence seemed pronounced for both Oregon and Arizona this year.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

I was thinking earlier about that Iowa State game. If its anything like 2015... the Majority of SC fans will leave after the first game and head back home to South Carolina, and the North Carolina men play at 9:40 Friday night, so all of their fans will be gone too. In a somewhat empty Coliseum, Mr Joens will be heard loud and clear :p

You beating a dead horse won't change the outcome of that game 4 or so years ago. At least one of the ESPN studio analysts (Lobo maybe?) agreed that the call on the floor was the right call. I'll trust her expertise over others.

I don't think I was beating a dead horse... just nudging it a bit :D

Reaction Score
And, I've never mentioned BYU as I don't follow their program to have an opinion one way or another. So, I have nothing to say about them. You brought up BYU, so I'll let you "argue" with yourself about them.
The argument isn't about BYU; it's about the NET and how it's used (or not used) properly

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If South Dakota and Creighton both win, @Plebe 's pride regarding non P5 teams might cause him to explode.
You might be right, if both SD and the Blue Jays win...
This Is Fine Out Of Control GIF by Sunnyside

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
The argument isn't about BYU; it's about the NET and how it's used (or not used) properly
No metric is 100% infallible. That's why the committee supposedly uses several. But, the one that Creme kept mentioning was wins over NET Top 25 teams, and NET Q1 wins. So, my focus as an interested fan was mainly on NET as I thought it was designed to be an improvement over the RPI rankings which fans have been belly-aching about for years.

Several times I asked on this board why North Carolina's NET ranking was in the Top 10, but the committee never placed them in the Top 16 in any of the three reveals, even after they beat Louisville. Nobody responded with an answer, IIRC. If BYU was in that same category, I certainly wouldn't know all their pluses and minuses, so I never mentioned them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What are people's thoughts about Texas and Ohio State? I think the guard match ups could be entertaining considering how Harmon and Harris can be pests on defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom