NCAA Tournament Day 3 Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

NCAA Tournament Day 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
People will inevitably bash the Big East following this weekend, but honestly, other than Villanova, everyone pretty much played to seed. Providence was a minimal favorite over Dayton, Georgetown was underdogs against Utah, and St. Johns never had a chance without Obekpa. Hell, Xavier finished sixth in the league and is now in the sweet sixteen - that alone should put to rest the notion that this is a mid-major league. That being said, Villanova nailed the league in the balls by flaming out in the second round - the league is already low profile and they desperately needed some recognition. A final four team would have done just that, and worse yet, their best team is now a punch line.

As for the ACC, undefeated is undefeated and there is nothing I can say to make that change. They have proven to be the best conference. But if people think there is this vast divide between the P5 and everyone else...I don't see it. The ACC could easily have three or four teams out with a couple shots/calls that went the other way.

They didn't go the other way, so that doesn't matter. This tournament has gone very badly for UConn and the AAC. You better believe that every major program we are recruiting against will tell recruits that a P5 split is coming and if they aren't at a P5 school they might as well be at Bowling Green. 2 bids for the league, the non-P5 didn't show up (with quite a bit of help from the refs), and the P5 will be getting all the press for the next two weeks, which is all anyone remembers anyway.

I wish they would just cancel the rest of the tournament, because you can bet that the gap between the P5 and the non-P5 will be a big topic during the games.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well then these non P5 teams need to step the up no? They can't expect UConn to win it every year. Jokes aside that Big East RPI didn't do them much good once the games started. Villanova as usual is the biggest head scratcher. Jay Wright is just a perpetual under achiever it seems.

I believe that Autonomy was a shot across the bow, and pretty much everyone that matters, from TV down to referees, is trying to get on the good side of the P5. Forget about seeing a fairly officiated game again.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Ballsy move to go for that block on the 3. Could've easily been called for a foul.

Then again, it's ND, so maybe not.
What game was it where Bazz did the same thing by blocking an opponents 3 at the end of the game? It was a clean block, but I was still screaming at the TV because it wasn't needed and could of easily had a whistle blow giving them 3 shots.

Reaction Score
They didn't go the other way, so that doesn't matter. This tournament has gone very badly for UConn and the AAC. You better believe that every major program we are recruiting against will tell recruits that a P5 split is coming and if they aren't at a P5 school they might as well be at Bowling Green. 2 bids for the league, the non-P5 didn't show up (with quite a bit of help from the refs), and the P5 will be getting all the press for the next two weeks, which is all anyone remembers anyway.

I wish they would just cancel the rest of the tournament, because you can bet that the gap between the P5 and the non-P5 will be a big topic during the games.

By my count, six of the twenty-four remaining teams are from non-P5 conferences, and two of them (Gonzaga and Northern Iowa) are capable of making the final four. Unless you have some evidence to prove otherwise, I'm not sure these ratios are too far off the norm.

But, if you're arguing that this tournament has been a terrible result for UConn, I cannot disagree.

Reaction Score
What game was it where Bazz did the same thing by blocking an opponents 3 at the end of the game? It was a clean block, but I was still screaming at the TV because it wasn't needed and could of easily had a whistle blow giving them 3 shots.
Probably the Texas game his freshman year when he got all ball on the way up on Corey Joesph's 3 point attempt. Joseph was able to regather jus a bit and get an attempt off but it wasn't his natural form and preserved the game. It was a risky gamble by Bazz but Joseph was going to be able get a pretty good look over Bazz with the height difference if he got a clean attempt off.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Probably the Texas game his freshman year when he got all ball on the way up on Corey Joesph's 3 point attempt. Joseph was able to regather jus a bit and get an attempt off but it wasn't his natural form and preserved the game. It was a risky gamble by Bazz but Joseph was going to be able get a pretty good look over Bazz with the height difference if he got a clean attempt off.
Yes! Thank you Ace, it was driving me nutz

caw

Reaction Score
People will inevitably bash the Big East following this weekend, but honestly, other than Villanova, everyone pretty much played to seed. Providence was a minimal favorite over Dayton, Georgetown was underdogs against Utah, and St. Johns never had a chance without Obekpa. Hell, Xavier finished sixth in the league and is now in the sweet sixteen - that alone should put to rest the notion that this is a mid-major league. That being said, Villanova nailed the league in the balls by flaming out in the second round - the league is already low profile and they desperately needed some recognition. A final four team would have done just that, and worse yet, their best team is now a punch line.

As for the ACC, undefeated is undefeated and there is nothing I can say to make that change. They have proven to be the best conference. But if people think there is this vast divide between the P5 and everyone else...I don't see it. The ACC could easily have three or four teams out with a couple shots/calls that went the other way.

If you discount the PC and Georgetown loss because they weren't favored (or weren't by much), then you can not give much credit to Xavier. They beat an 11 and a 14 to make the sweet sixteen. Yes they took advantage but it wasn't some great success that validates the conference.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

But UConn should kill the football program so they can remain lumped with the non-p5 forever, right? Last I checked the Big East is not in the P5. Just want to make sure I have your narrative straight because what you're saying here sure sounds like it doesn't fit what you keep spewing. Without football, there is no P5 for UConn.

Reaction Score
March Madness is the best and I can't get enough of it. But outside of the tourney, the product is incredibly inferior.

No it's not. Well yes you're right, the product as in the players is. But the attitudes in which they play and actual will to compete is so much more fun at the college level it's not close. But to each their own as they say.

For me March Madness ends and there's nothing until baseball gets to the All Star game and even then, yuck in comparison. (I do like the hockey playoffs when the Rangers are good so may be something there again)

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
But UConn should kill the football program so they can remain lumped with the non-p5 forever, right? Last I checked the Big East is not in the P5. Just want to make sure I have your narrative straight because what you're saying here sure sounds like it doesn't fit what you keep spewing. Without football, there is no P5 for UConn.
Give Waylon a break. He's just pissed that the Big East just demonstrated that they are among the non-power conferences. Basically confirming that he was wrong and the bulk of the Boneyard was correct all along in that assessment.

Reaction Score
No it's not. Well yes you're right, the product as in the players is. But the attitudes in which they play and actual will to compete is so much more fun at the college level it's not close. But to each their own as they say.

For me March Madness ends and there's nothing until baseball gets to the All Star game and even then, yuck in comparison. (I do like the hockey playoffs when the Rangers are good so may be something there again)
5 seconds left, the team with possession is down 1 with one last chance, 17000 fans holding on for dear life, a team's season on the brink....................i don't even care what two teams are playing, but I don't think there is anything better in all of sports. Only March Madness brings that.

Reaction Score
You would think that by now, especially after this debacle, the committee's will look harder at where they seed Jay Wrights teams? I mean they just don't get it done. Great to shoot the ball well all year with 3-4 guards in the lineup but when you need to get some rebounds and can't in a potential 6 game run, you have no shot. Don't think it needs to be proven any more than the last few years - it's a great product for the regular season but the formula doesn't work come game time!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Give Waylon a break. He's just pissed that the Big East just demonstrated that they are among the non-power conferences. Basically confirming that he was wrong and the bulk of the Boneyard was correct all along in that assessment.

The Big East got 6 teams in and 5 won a game, so their ncaa was a lot better than the AAC's. Your argument was that there was no difference between the two leagues.

If, on the other hand, you are celebrating the P5 dominance and biased officiating, then you are trolling, and should go back to the message board of whatever your new adopted team is. There are some very disturbing trends in this tournament from a UConn perspective, and we shouldn't be celebrating them just because you don't like Providence.

Reaction Score
nelsonmuntz said:
If Gonzaga and Wichita go down tomorrow, there will be 1 non-P5 team in the Sweet 16. 2-3 more years of that, and the P5 will take the tournament with them, and we will be gutting UConn's athletic budget.

This is reaching. Even for you.

Reaction Score
I think that the middle of the ACC sometimes is under rated....

NC State lost to Clemson, BC, Miami, UNC, Duke, Virginia, and Notre Dame (and Cincy and Wofford early), but they have come on to beat LSU and Nova in the tourney. Their length helped them over Villanova.

Villanova seemed to have problems against the Wolfpack defense and those taller bodies with stretchy arms.

Reaction Score
The Big East got 6 teams in and 5 won a game, so their ncaa was a lot better than the AAC's. Your argument was that there was no difference between the two leagues.

If, on the other hand, you are celebrating the P5 dominance and biased officiating, then you are trolling, and should go back to the message board of whatever your new adopted team is. There are some very disturbing trends in this tournament from a UConn perspective, and we shouldn't be celebrating them just because you don't like Providence.

Four NBE teams won a game. PC and SJU lost in Rd 1.

Reaction Score
I think that the middle of the ACC sometimes is under rated....

NC State lost to Clemson, BC, Miami, UNC, Duke, Virginia, and Notre Dame (and Cincy and Wofford early), but they have come on to beat LSU and Nova in the tourney. Their length helped them over Villanova.

Villanova seemed to have problems against the Wolfpack defense and those taller bodies with stretchy arms.

Are you implying that LSU and Villanova are good? Last year, UConn had 100x more difficulty with St. Joseph's than it had with this very same (i.e. same players) Villanova team.

They are paper tigers.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I am not celebrating the P-5 dominance. I personally find it repulsive that the few on top are continually working to further marginalize everyone else. I also am not claiming that there is no difference between the two leagues, merely that there is not a whole lot of overall difference and that whether a conference is the best of the mid-majors or a bit above the middle of the pack of the mid-majors, it is still a mid-major.

I am not celebrating anything, merely pointing out that dreaming of the day where we give up on football and align our basketball future with other schools who will never play major football is a fools errand. Yes, regardless of whether there is a formal split or merely a continuously growing rift between the P-5 and everyone else, the day will arrive when the AAC, the (new) Big East and every other non P-5 conference will be on the wrong side.

Additionally, while the committee did give the (new) Big East repect similar to what a P-5 conference would receive, that conference as a whole did more to prove the critics right than any one of the critics could have hoped for. Georgetown, Providence, St John's and even their standard bearer Villanova all made it clear that their records were a bit suspect and their RPI's were not as shiny as they appeared from a distance.

Reaction Score
People will inevitably bash the Big East following this weekend, but honestly, other than Villanova, everyone pretty much played to seed.

I have to disagree. The NBE had 6 highly seeded teams yet 2 teams didn't win a game, 3 teams didn't make it past the round of 32 and the only team to do so beat an 11th seed (that played an intense game 24 hours earlier) and a 14th seed. Half the NBE teams lost to a lower seed and none has beaten a higher seed.

Providence was a minimal favorite over Dayton, Georgetown was underdogs against Utah, and St. Johns never had a chance without Obekpa. Hell, Xavier finished sixth in the league and is now in the sweet sixteen - that alone should put to rest the notion that this is a mid-major league.

Disagree again. Providence was a 6 seed against an 11 seed (which played another 11 seed 24 hours earlier (granted it was a virtual road game). Georgetown wasn't an "underdog", they were a 4 against a 5 (although very few thought they were a 4).

Hell, Xavier finished sixth in the league and is now in the sweet sixteen - that alone should put to rest the notion that this is a mid-major league.

Disagree again. As stated above. Xavier beat an 11th seed (that played an intense game 24 hours earlier) and a 14th seed (which was in it until late in the second half).

Villanova nailed the league in the balls by flaming out in the second round - the league is already low profile and they desperately needed some recognition. A final four team would have done just that, and worse yet, their best team is now a punch line.

We agree here. Villanova was a legit Elite Eight team and really needed to win. Butler was solid too. Can Xavier beat Arizona? It's unlikely.

The NBE flameout along with the Big 12's less than stellar performance could suggest that RPI ratings built on, at least partially, not having low RPI teams in your conference doesn't make your teams any better. Few can argue that the NBE didn't enjoy pretty nice seeding.

Reaction Score

Is this the best tournament start by a conference, ever? Has to be, no?

Reaction Score
By my count, six of the twenty-four remaining teams are from non-P5 conferences, and two of them (Gonzaga and Northern Iowa) are capable of making the final four. Unless you have some evidence to prove otherwise, I'm not sure these ratios are too far off the norm.

I agree with this. Northern Iowa, Wichita State, Gonzaga are good teams. Dayton has the potential to surprise. SDSU has a tough matchup but you never know.

Reaction Score
While I didn't have a ton of faith in SMU and Cincy, it's hard to talk about the AAC's performance since Cincy was never getting past Kentucky and SMU got jobbed. SMU should be S16 right now, and the AAC should have as many S16 teams as the NBE.

Reaction Score
You would think that by now, especially after this debacle, the committee's will look harder at where they seed Jay Wrights teams? I mean they just don't get it done. Great to shoot the ball well all year with 3-4 guards in the lineup but when you need to get some rebounds and can't in a potential 6 game run, you have no shot. Don't think it needs to be proven any more than the last few years - it's a great product for the regular season but the formula doesn't work come game time!

Its ok I'm sure Jay Wright is lining up his next commercial, it wouldn't shock me if he is in the CBS studio today lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom