NCAA Softball Tournament | Page 11 | The Boneyard

NCAA Softball Tournament

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Since you opened the door...what happened yesterday when Maryland thoroughly kicked the Blue Devils butts in the Lacrosse Semifinals 14-5? That’s a whooping like I have never seen in a semifinal....
Disappointed Will Ferrell GIF by PeacockTV

come on man :rolleyes: that wasnt called for.

Reaction Score
Just to add to that. Five of the top eight seeds from the SEC. Then, go back to the NCAA basketball tournament where six SEC teams were seeded in the top 16 (with only two actually making it to the Sweet 16). No conference is that much better than the other Power Five conferences.
Only thing the SEC is much better than everyone else I would say is Football (overall) and has a pretty strong baseball conference in general. Softball, WBB, etc are honestly not that great and get overhyped to me.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Only thing the SEC is much better than everyone else I would say is Football (overall) and has a pretty strong baseball conference in general. Softball, WBB, etc are honestly not that great and get overhyped to me.
Ya know, your sort of a buzz kill guy when the rest of us want to excoriate the SEC homerism and then you go display logic on us...you might be required to give up the “SEC” part of your handle if you keep downplaying your conference...;)

Reaction Score
Ya know, your sort of a buzz kill guy when the rest of us want to excoriate the SEC homerism and then you go display logic on us...you might be required to give up the “SEC” part of your handle if you keep downplaying your conference...;)
I love the SEC, its a great conference, offers a lot of things and has its perks maybe other conferences don't have but they do get their preferential treatment at times as well. I will defend them and call out things as well lol.

As pertaining to softball from the SEC this year. It was really Alabama and everyone else truthfully. I thought Alabama didn't play their best ball during the middle of SEC but got hot at the end and started playing up to their potential (which is CWS caliber). Arkansas, while a good team had by far the easiest SEC schedule set up (which to their credit took advantage of) but they did not have a very good offense. LSU was a solid team but we have had much better teams over the last 7-8 years, we had solid pitching with no offense and spotty defense. Florida is a softball power as well, but this wasn't the same Florida team we usually see as the offense just wasn't there this year and they didn't have the typical fire power in the circle like Barnhill and company.

SEC is a very strong conference softball wise but got too many national seeds and were not seeded properly this year. We have had much stronger teams over the years than this years group.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I mean yeah....Florida laid an egg and Missouri might've been favored over JMU but I don't think many people thought SEC would get more than 3. We knew Arizona was probably winning over Arkansas and Florida St has better pitching and fielding than LSU anyways.

So in the end, they got 1 less than people expected. The PAC 12 got the 2 that most thought...the 2 trraditional powerhouses Arizona and UCLA. And anyone couldve told you we'd get 2 from the Big 12....basically the Oklahoma schools, Ok St's regionals have been relatively easy so far.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Finally saw the last game. Count me as surprised that Florida is out. Of course, although I watched a lot of games on national TV during the season, that didn't really give me a comprehensive view of any particular team. I certainly wasn't thinking Georgia (regardless of opponent) was likely to make the final cut.

I certainly wouldn't have expected JMU what-so-ever, although they did look good throughout. I agree with posters who were not surprised to see Florida State and Arizona. Truthfully, except for JMU, no teams that do not have a history of making the World Series.

Looking forward to it.

Reaction Score
Finally saw the last game. Count me as surprised that Florida is out. Of course, although I watched a lot of games on national TV during the season, that didn't really give me a comprehensive view of any particular team. I certainly wasn't thinking Georgia (regardless of opponent) was likely to make the final cut.
Georgia has history of upsetting Florida in supers. Georgia for most of the year hasn't been great but Avant pitching well is capable of doing a lot of damage when the bats get going. They beat Oklahoma earlier this year. The problem is there isn't someone so reliable behind Avant and they have a lot of young bats.

AZgirl

Pac-12 women's sports all day long
Reaction Score
So in the end, they got 1 less than people expected. The PAC 12 got the 2 that most thought...the 2 trraditional powerhouses Arizona and UCLA.
That would surprise me because not even all Arizona fans thought they would be there. In fact, a lot didn't because while they played a ton of ranked teams this year and had no bad losses, they lost most of those games against ranked opponents--especially on the road. The hitting would disappear and the pitching wasn't dominant enough to win low-scoring games.

The committee sure didn't expect them to be there, either, or they wouldn't have sent them on the road in supers.

This might be the most surprising Arizona team to make the WCWS since the event started purely based on results. They are star-studded on offense, but the pitching has been pasted together. Hanah Bowen, who started the first game at Arkansas, used to play more second base than she pitched. This year she has been a crucial starter, at times surpassing Alyssa Denham, because Mariah Lopez struggled.

Yes, Arizona is storied, but before 2019, they had missed 7 straight WCWS. This is the first time that they have gone to back-to-back in about a decade.

Last edited:

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
That would surprise me because not even all Arizona fans thought they would be there. In fact, a lot didn't because while they played a ton of ranked teams this year and had no bad losses, they lost most of those games against ranked opponents--especially on the road. The hitting would disappear and the pitching wasn't dominant enough to win low-scoring games.

The committee sure didn't expect them to be there, either, or they wouldn't have sent them on the road in supers.

This might be the most surprising Arizona team to make the WCWS since the event started purely based on results. They are star-studded on offense, but the pitching has been pasted together. Hanah Bowen, who started the first game at Arkansas, used to play more second base than she pitched. This year she has been a crucial starter, at times surpassing Alyssa Denham, because Mariah Lopez struggled.

Yes, Arizona is storied, but before 2019, they had missed 7 straight WCWS. This is the first time that they have gone to back-to-back in about a decade.

When the opponent they drew is Arkansas, that's a highly favorable opponent. They're not difficult to beat at all. Their schedule is light, and their 15-0 record against the bottom 6 of the SEC is one reason why they're ranked so high.

Washington might've been expected to make it too if the opponent they got was someone other than Oklahoma. Arizona might look up and down this year, but that's still good enough to be a Top 8 team. There aren't 7 other teams that looks consistently good this year, or their schedule is just really light (like Florida St's or James Madison's)

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Greatly anticipating June 3-9. Will be a jam packed week. With baseball, and all these softball games I can hardly wait.

Here's my synopsis of each team:

Oklahoma - It feels like the type of batting lineup that wins a championship. Whether they will? Not sure. It is kinda iffy that Gi Juarez is being cautiously used at the most important time. That she didn't even play against Washington is telling of what Patty's mind is thinking. I always preferred Nicole May and Shannon Saile, so Juarez might not be needed as much. Will their pitching fall apart against the elite teams? Don't know, but they've only played 2 teams that made the WCWS and those were the 2 teams that gave them their only 2 losses of the year, so you wonder if their schedule has masked a few things about them. Still, they're the team to beat.

Alabama - They're catching fire lately. If Kilfoy can consistently look as good as she did against Kentucky, they could find themselves in the final series. But that's a question mark, as she has had her freshman moments this year. Don't want to rely on one pitcher. But this is a team that has been strong all year long and has not really slumped. So it would be strange for them to in the last week.

Oklahoma St. - Alison Febrey has been on a tear lately. I think batting over .500 in the postseason? A really sick top of the order. They're not quite as good as Oklahoma, but maybe they might get lucky and steal one from them in OKC and that might be all they need.

Arizona - Sometimes up and down, but they've been playing their best ball as of late. It's no shock a team with Olympians would easily get past Ole Miss and Arkansas. Will they come to a stop against Alabama? Remains to be seen, but should be a heavyweight match and my most anticipated game on Thursday.

UCLA - Top 3 pitchers, and really good batting lineup. Their pitching is definitely #1, but can they mesh together consecutive great pitching performances at this junction of the year? We'll see.

Georgia - Like Arizona, they're up and down. But they are HIGHLY up and down. Towards the end of the year, they looked horrible, got swept by Mississippi State and lost 13 out of their last 15 games, although against some heavy competition. They're not without talent, but... young. Kearney, Fields, Kuma, Fincher are all really good players and stacks up nicely. Avant pitched the games of her life against Florida. Will she continue to be able to against a much more powerful Oklahoma St? I don't know, but obviously there's something to this team we've not been able to see the entire year.

Florida St - I don't find them particularly interesting to watch. I like Sandercock, Danielle Watson, and Sydney Sherill, but I'm not excited about other aspects of their team. What I've seen is they win these pitching gems and low scoring contests with clutch hits at the right time, tho they haven't been challenged by a strong schedule. I expect them to be the first to exit besides James Madison.

James Madison - I don't know anything about this team. I won't even comment. I think they'll be beat badly by Oklahoma, but I won't be awake to watch that so glad that's the first game of the day.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Greatly anticipating June 3-9. Will be a jam packed week. With baseball, and all these softball games I can hardly wait.

Here's my synopsis of each team:

Oklahoma - It feels like the type of batting lineup that wins a championship. Whether they will? Not sure. It is kinda iffy that Gi Juarez is being cautiously used at the most important time. That she didn't even play against Washington is telling of what Patty's mind is thinking. I always preferred Nicole May and Shannon Saile, so Juarez might not be needed as much. Will their pitching fall apart against the elite teams? Don't know, but they've only played 2 teams that made the WCWS and those were the 2 teams that gave them their only 2 losses of the year, so you wonder if their schedule has masked a few things about them. Still, they're the team to beat.

Alabama - They're catching fire lately. If Kilfoy can consistently look as good as she did against Kentucky, they could find themselves in the final series. But that's a question mark, as she has had her freshman moments this year. Don't want to rely on one pitcher. But this is a team that has been strong all year long and has not really slumped. So it would be strange for them to in the last week.

Oklahoma St. - Alison Febrey has been on a tear lately. I think batting over .500 in the postseason? A really sick top of the order. They're not quite as good as Oklahoma, but maybe they might get lucky and steal one from them in OKC and that might be all they need.

Arizona - Sometimes up and down, but they've been playing their best ball as of late. It's no shock a team with Olympians would easily get past Ole Miss and Arkansas. Will they come to a stop against Alabama? Remains to be seen, but should be a heavyweight match and my most anticipated game on Thursday.

UCLA - Top 3 pitchers, and really good batting lineup. Their pitching is definitely #1, but can they mesh together consecutive great pitching performances at this junction of the year? We'll see.

Georgia - Like Arizona, they're up and down. But they are HIGHLY up and down. Towards the end of the year, they looked horrible, got swept by Mississippi State and lost 13 out of their last 15 games, although against some heavy competition. They're not without talent, but... young. Kearney, Fields, Kuma, Fincher are all really good players and stacks up nicely. Avant pitched the games of her life against Florida. Will she continue to be able to against a much more powerful Oklahoma St? I don't know, but obviously there's something to this team we've not been able to see the entire year.

Florida St - I don't find them particularly interesting to watch. I like Sandercock, Danielle Watson, and Sydney Sherill, but I'm not excited about other aspects of their team. What I've seen is they win these pitching gems and low scoring contests with clutch hits at the right time, tho they haven't been challenged by a strong schedule. I expect them to be the first to exit besides James Madison.

James Madison - I don't know anything about this team. I won't even comment. I think they'll be beat badly by Oklahoma, but I won't be awake to watch that so glad that's the first game of the day.
Good job, more detailed than I could do. As to James Madison, I can only say that they are "tough" and resilient, from watching their TV games during the tournament. You are almost certainly correct that Oklahoma could be too much of a challenge. Truthfully, the best hope to keep OK from winning it all is to get them into the losers bracket.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
TV schedule

2021 Women's College World Series: Schedule​

Thursday, June 3​

Game 1: Oklahoma vs. James Madison | 12 p.m. ET | ESPN
Game 2: Georgia vs. Oklahoma State | 2:30 p.m. | ESPN
Game 3: Arizona vs. Alabama | 7 p.m. | ESPN
Game 4: Florida State vs. UCLA | 9:30 p.m. | ESPN

Friday, June 4​

Game 5: Game 1 winner vs. Game 2 winner | 7 p.m. | ESPNU
Game 6: Game 3 winner vs. Game 4 winner | 9:30 p.m. | ESPNU

Saturday, June 5​

Game 7: Game 1 loser vs. Game 2 loser | 12 p.m. | ESPN
Game 8: Game 3 loser vs. Game 4 loser | 2:30 p.m. | ESPN
Game 9: Game 6 loser vs. Game 7 winner | 7 p.m. | ESPN
Game 10: Game 5 loser vs. Game 8 winner | 9:30 p.m. | ESPN

Sunday, June 6​

Game 11: Game 5 winner vs. Game 9 winner | 1 p.m. | ESPN
Game 12: Game 6 winner vs. Game 10 winner | 3:30 p.m. | ESPN
Game 13: Game 11 teams (if necessary) | 7 p.m. | ESPN2
Game 14: Game 12 teams (if necessary) | 9:30 p.m. | ESPN2

Championship Finals​

Game 1: 7:30 p.m. Monday, June 7| ESPN
Game 2: 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, June 8 | ESPN
Game 3 (if necessary): 7 p.m. Wednesday, June 9 | ESPN

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I tuned in a little late. Surprised to see JMU was up 3-0. That ended w/ one swing. Now 3-3 going into the 4th.

Reaction Score
Excited to watching some games. Huge softball fan. Really like what Oklahoma has done all year. Pretty dominate. Today they are in a battle but I have no doubt they will get the W in the end.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Getting a bit testy. OU play slides into 2nd spikes first, trying to take out the defender to break up the double play. Runner was safe at first but ump called interference. Gasso didn't like it.

Just now blown call on a JMU player trying to steal 2nd. She was easily safe. Thought so in real time, replay just showed how bad the call was.

Reaction Score
Yes, the umpiring has left a bit to be desired in several games through the super regionals. Would hope that it improves for the WCWS games...

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wow, that just sent shockwaves thru the WCWS!

I'm sure it's happened at some point, but really rare for someone to come back thru the losers bracket to win the whole thing.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
I keep looking down on JMU, and they keep proving me wrong.

That being said, some people are gonna be disappointed to see Oklahoma crawl back 4-0 to be back playing in the final series again.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Ok, Now rooting for GA. Lets make the State of Oklahoma wince a bit.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Excited to watching some games. Huge softball fan. Really like what Oklahoma has done all year. Pretty dominate. Today they are in a battle but I have no doubt they will get the W in the end.
:confused:

Reaction Score
Georgia screwed themselves out of a run earlier with that base running at 3B

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34