NCAA Softball Tournament | The Boneyard

NCAA Softball Tournament

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I'm a new softball fan. I haven't really followed intensely until this year, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing and I'm eagering anticipating nearly every game.

2021-03-25 (10).png

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Anyone wanna talk some SEC softball?
No, but I would be happy to talk Pac 12 softball. :)

Don't really follow it, I'm sure there are some very good teams in the SEC. Looks like UCLA and Oklahoma are the 2 to beat as the post season approaches.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
No, but I would be happy to talk Pac 12 softball. :)

Don't really follow it, I'm sure there are some very good teams in the SEC. Looks like UCLA and Oklahoma are the 2 to beat as the post season approaches.

You don't follow anything but the Pac 12?

I really think Oklahoma is beatable. As we saw this weekend. UCLA... I'm not sure but they look pretty strong.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
You don't follow anything but the Pac 12?

I really think Oklahoma is beatable. As we saw this weekend. UCLA... I'm not sure but they look pretty strong.
I used to only tune in to softball around the World Series. In recent years I've streamed a fair number of regular season Pac 12 games, mostly Washington.

Oklahoma's offense is ridiculous, but they probably haven't been facing great pitching, and not sure how good their pitching is.

UCLA has an unbelievable staff. 3 really good pitchers. Enough offense to get the job done, and they usually don't have to score much w/ that staff they have.

Washington is good, maybe good enough to be one of the last 4 teams standing if everything goes right, but I just don't think they have what it takes to win a Natty. Can't find a reliable second starter. Plenty of good hitters, but offense is kinda hot and cold.

I haven't really followed them, but it looks like Clemson has a really good pitcher (I know, not SEC, but close).

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
I used to only tune in to softball around the World Series. In recent years I've streamed a fair number of regular season Pac 12 games, mostly Washington.

Oklahoma's offense is ridiculous, but they probably haven't been facing great pitching, and not sure how good their pitching is.

UCLA has an unbelievable staff. 3 really good pitchers. Enough offense to get the job done, and they usually don't have to score much w/ that staff they have.

Washington is good, maybe good enough to be one of the last 4 teams standing if everything goes right, but I just don't think they have what it takes to win a Natty. Can't find a reliable second starter. Plenty of good hitters, but offense is kinda hot and cold.

I haven't really followed them, but it looks like Clemson has a really good pitcher (I know, not SEC, but close).

Were it not for errors that resulted in one big inning - and Ok State's 2nd basemen (who honestly looked horrendous in that series), Oklahoma loses the series against Oklahoma State. They hit better than OU in that last game. Which makes me kinda think the margin between Oklahoma and the rest isn't as huge as we originally thought. Georgia beat them also, even tho you can construe that as just one game and not really telling.

UCLA's top 3 pitchers are really awesome...... agreed, and those Pac 12 games are often 1-0, 2-1.

I think the SEC is a threat tho. It doesn't sound like you watch the SEC at all, but I think they can upset UCLA or Oklahoma. Maybe not UCLA, but Florida can play those close games (3-2 scores), they rarely makes errors - and they're really good in tight, close games. Their top 3 pitchers is great too tho not at the level of UCLA's. And Alabama is currently hot. I think they stand a better chance against Oklahoma than UCLA actually. Just because of the way they play, and force others to play.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
“You had me at Softball”, I am a huge fan of both the PAC12 (Arizona) and the SEC (AL, FL and TN) and follow Oklahoma and Jocelyn Alo.

I have to say my one big gripe with the PAC12 is both WSU and OSU do not field teams while their cross state rivals have great programs (though Oregon is still trying to recover from their coach and players departing).
Bring on the dialogue as I will be tuned in and absolutely appreciate @SimpleDawg posting the bracket which I tried to find Sunday morning.

I do also dislike the “re-entry” rule, especially considering the size of the rosters.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just the basics. Enjoyment when TN loses.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I have to say my one big gripe with the PAC12 is both WSU and OSU do not field teams while their cross state rivals have great programs
Au contraire! OSU does in fact have softball. They struggle to win games in the Pac 12, but they aren't horrible. Just a tough conference. Their ace is tough, but she gets very little run support from what I've seen. They won 2 out of 3 against a good Arizona St. team over the weekend, including a 2 out 3 run walk off homer on Sunday.

I think USC and Colorado don't have softball. Some of the schools might not have baseball, not quite sure about that.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I thought Oklahoma was the premier team until this past weekend. I had to leave when OK State was three runs behind. I will be watching the replay at 11:00 pm CDT tonight.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought Oklahoma was the premier team until this past weekend. I had to leave when OK State was three runs behind and found out later they came all the way back and won. I will be watching the replay at 11:00 pm CDT tonight.
Oklahoma has a elite offense with good pitching, not quite elite.

UCLA is elite in the circle with Garcia and Faraimo with solid bats. It’s one thing to beat UCLA once in a series, but it would take a lot to beat them twice with those horses in the circle

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Oklahoma has a elite offense with good pitching, not quite elite.

UCLA is elite in the circle with Garcia and Faraimo with solid bats. It’s one thing to beat UCLA once in a series, but it would take a lot to beat them twice with those horses in the circle

Holly Acevedo too. In 3 games against Washington and Oregon, she's given up 7 runs, 5 earned. They're in really good hands if they can rotate those 3 around. Quick way to stop their bleeding instantly at the first sign of trouble.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't get to watch the PAC because I don't get the PAC network, but have seen enough to know how strong UCLA is, as usual.

I do watch SEC network, but quite honestly I'm not good with player's names. I really don't care for Alabama or Florida, but recognize that both are having a good season. Otherwise, no particular horse in the race. Unlike eebmg, I actually root for Tennessee (at least in softball) as a rule, but don't feel like I have seen them much this season.

Do not underestimate Oklahoma. I expect them to be a strong contender. Loathe them. Tied with UCLA as my least favorite.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
Tennessee is the school that got me into softball. I absolutely loved Monica Abbott as a pitcher and am still heartbroken at their loss to Arizona in the WWCS championship during Abbott's senior year. Tennessee has never been the same for me since she graduated.

Nowadays, I have a particular liking for Bailey Hemphill, Krystal Goodman, and Montana Fouts from Alabama. Otherwise I root for whatever Big Ten teams are doing well enough to make the NCAA tournament and hope they win a few games. This year that looks to be Michigan. Two years ago (but just one real season ago because of COVID) it was thrilling when Minnesota made the WWCS because I grew up quite near the same small Iowa town as Minnesota's ace pitcher Amber Fiser.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Well the ACC tournament starts Wednesday. I admit I don't really watch much softball... but since Duke started it's program... I keep up with their progress. They started playing in 2018.. and they have shown great improvement. They are currently #21 in the country and the 3rd seed in the ACC tournament.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
so...are we going to get a Bracket contest going for the NCAAT???? :D

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
The Weeklys are way past their prime these days.
That's the Bowdoin conundrum-what to do when the people that built the program into something elite, slowly erode away that elite status...do you kick them to the curb, force them to announce a last season or retirement to bow out gracefully, or let them wither away until they feel it's time? Oklahoma WCBB tried the latter until they finally had Sherri retire this year. Purdue gave Versyp that one last season and the Los Angeles Angels simply said "See ya Albert, you don't have to retire, but you can't play here!"

Reaction Score
That's the Bowdoin conundrum-what to do when the people that built the program into something elite, slowly erode away that elite status...do you kick them to the curb, force them to announce a last season or retirement to bow out gracefully, or let them wither away until they feel it's time? Oklahoma WCBB tried the latter until they finally had Sherri retire this year. Purdue gave Versyp that one last season and the Los Angeles Angels simply said "See ya Albert, you don't have to retire, but you can't play here!"
They are making Super Regionals every year which isn't bad although its been 6 years since a trip to Oklahoma City for the World Series. I don't think their performance is bad enough worth firing but seems like their best days are behind them. It also doesn't help that Tennessee has been a revolving door when it comes to players entering and leaving the program at times. They are normally finishing top 5 in the SEC standings. Its a far cry from the Sherri at OU, Tennessee is at least competitive.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
They are making Super Regionals every year which isn't bad although its been 6 years since a trip to Oklahoma City for the World Series. I don't think their performance is bad enough worth firing but seems like their best days are behind them. It also doesn't help that Tennessee has been a revolving door when it comes to players entering and leaving the program at times. They are normally finishing top 5 in the SEC standings. Its a far cry from the Sherri at OU, Tennessee is at least competitive.
Someone we were hanging with at a World Series we attended was telling us that the Weeklys are not the easiest coaches to play for. That is not disqualifying by any means, lots of coaches are in that category.

Reaction Score
I'm a new softball fan. I haven't really followed intensely until this year, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing and I'm eagering anticipating nearly every game. Anyone wanna talk some SEC softball? It starts tomorrow, and will go on thru Saturday.

Main topics.......... Elizabeth Hightower, Montana Fouts, Alabama's star packed lineup and the fact they're looking nearly unstoppable lately, Arkansas's miraculous turnaround (1-23 a few years ago to #1), Hail State's perplexing string of wins after starting the year 0-13.
I don't follow softball and the USC team has gone way down hill from what it briefly was in the 90s, but I did have a semester of Spanish sitting behind two All Americans back in the day and they were awesome.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I don't follow softball and the USC team has gone way down hill from what it briefly was in the 90s, but I did have a semester of Spanish sitting behind two All Americans back in the day and they were awesome.
Well, SC beat Auburn yesterday and is now on SEC channel against LSU. TN (7) vs TAMU (10) is the next game up at 5PM ET

Reaction Score
The game has changed so much over the past 20 years. It has gone from a small ball, slapping, one dominant pitcher going for ridiculous numbers of innings (Danielle Lawry anyone?) style to a sport where the power teams have pitching staffs going three of four deep and offensively play much more of a power game. I don't have a preference, as both styles of play are exciting in their own way, but slapping (with recent rule changes) and small ball seem to be slowly disappearing from the women's game. One of the criticisms of the Weekly's is that they haven't adapted to the current style of play.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
(Danielle Lawry anyone?)
Gabbie Plain is practically doing a Lawrie impersonation for the Huskies this year, because they can't find even one other consistent starter, let alone two more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom