NCAA Scandal and Kevin Ollie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA Scandal and Kevin Ollie

Reaction Score
Yes. I bet it’s more to do with chill and fultz at Washington than UConn. Just a feeling. Maybe some mr Jackson whining. Do know, the fbi follows up on rumors and such as well, but if it turns out other players were push to lie by the new school.... uh oh!! Not good for them. Unless there are some bodies on campus, something must have been released by now with some substance about what we are accused of, but still nothing.
we don't know what it is but I don't think we should be talking about how "clean" Ollie has been considering they're investigating us. it could be nothing or it could be something just as bad. it's way too early to say

Reaction Score
not as far as the NCAA is concerned.
Potentially false, there are different levels of NCAA infractions.

But like you said, way too early to speculate too much.

Reaction Score
Any college that loses its coach because of this investigation will likely be in limbo for years to come given the speed in which the NCAA operates.

Arizona will be toxic and by the time the NCAA figures out the penalties it will be a risky move for any coach.

Reaction Score
Potentially false, there are different levels of NCAA infractions.
how is that false? why would the NCAA care if the information came directly from their organization or if the information was obtained by the FBI? For the sake of argument & logical consistency (something you seem to struggle with), let's say we were paying players; it doesn't make it any better that we got caught by the NCAA instead of the FBI.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
we are under NCAA investigation

Brock Headroom: "Hi, I'm Brock Headroom and this is the news. In college basketball the FBI finally revealed the schools facing 5-year NCAA bans. Dook, North Carolina, Alabama, Arizona, Pacific, Mississippi State, Looeyville, Kentucky, UMASS, Johns Hopkins, Syracuse, Arkansas, Florida State, St. Cloud State and Harvard."

Suzie Littletits: "And as a side story the NCAA came down hard on UCONN, also banning them for 6 years due to former coach Glenn Miller giving a recruit four copies of a course schedule. NCAA rules only allow two."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
how is that false? why would the NCAA care if the information came directly from their organization or if the information was obtained by the FBI? For the sake of argument & logical consistency (something you seem to struggle with), let's say we were paying players; it doesn't make it any better that we got caught by the NCAA instead of the FBI.
Struggling with logic? I just laughed out loud.

FBI investigating paying players. If uconn is not under FBI investigation maybe ncaa investigation isn't for paying players. If ncaa investigation isn't for paying players maybe it is for a minor infraction. Ncaa punishes minor infractions differently than major infractions.

Reaction Score
Also...how much longer do we think the NCAA can use their limited resources investigating UConn for whatever little petty thing it is while the NCAA’s ship is literally sinking. They’d be wise to wrap things up with UConn and move on to some more relevant cases don’t ya think?

Reaction Score
Struggling with logic? I just laughed out loud.

FBI investigating paying players. If uconn is not under FBI investigation maybe ncaa investigation isn't for paying players. If ncaa investigation isn't for paying players maybe it is for a minor infraction. Ncaa punishes minor infractions differently than major infractions.
you're talking about something completely different. the level of infraction is a completely different issue. my point is that if the NCAA catches you doing 'x' or the FBI catches you doing 'x' and turns the information over to the NCAA, it doesn't matter. you're going to face the same consequences regardless of how it was discovered.

Reaction Score
Also...how much longer do we think the NCAA can use their limited resources investigating UConn for whatever little petty thing it is while the NCAA’s ship is literally sinking. They’d be wise to wrap things up with UConn and move on to some more relevant cases don’t ya think?
we don't even know what we did or are accused of doing yet. I think it'd be pretty foolish to assume it's some "petty little thing." Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Reaction Score
I can see the future interview now:

Reporter: When are you going to start punishing schools for paying players to come to play for them?

NCAA: We’re taking this very seriously, as you know we’re currently investigating UConn.

Reporter: But UConn hasn’t been paying players...

NCAA: Yes, but they’ve been stealing championships from programs who have, so we believe they must be doing something bad.

Reporter: So what is the current focus of the UConn investigation?

NCAA: We have reason to believe as recent as 2014 that the huskies were hungry, but they haven’t been since then. We have reason to believe that someone affiliated with the program has been illegally feeding the hungry huskies.

pj

Reaction Score
I was thinking about this last night but it may force their hand in this fashion.

If some amount of big schools are looking at the same time there are not enough candidates and the prices in that seller’s market will be insane.

A scenario for the lawyers. Suppose they fire him without cause, in which case they still have to pay his salary; fail to find a better coach because all the better ones are snapped up now that all the cheaters have been driven out of the game; and a month later go back to Ollie and say they want him to return as coach. Does the contract say that he is obliged to return as coach if UConn wants him to give services in return for his pay, and if he refuses he loses the remaining compensation?

Reaction Score
I’m aware. But i haven’t seen any $100k payments or spreadsheets linking our guys to agents.

Its incredible when you think about that info coming from a single sports agency. Imagine if data is released from 2-3 others. There’s no way an agency knowingly remained at a competitive disadvantage if they knew others were paying players.

But if our investigation is a slap on the wrist or takes another 2yrs (standard at the NCAA), that’s very different from the info coming out now
This is solely a retaliatory investigation over trivialities as payback for Bazz shaming the NCAA in front of the entire country. It's a prideful and corrupt organization led by a guy with an axe to grind against UConn. The irony will be we will be disciplined for virtually nothing while the greatest corruption in college sports has been going on right under their noses.

Reaction Score
A scenario for the lawyers. Suppose they fire him without cause, in which case they still have to pay his salary; fail to find a better coach because all the better ones are snapped up now that all the cheaters have been driven out of the game; and a month later go back to Ollie and say they want him to return as coach. Does the contract say that he is obliged to return as coach if UConn wants him to give services in return for his pay, and if he refuses he loses the remaining compensation?
No. Doesn't work that way. A termination is a termination.

Reaction Score
Tend to agree. If a large number of coaches were involved in direct payments, the Sean Millers of the game might coach again. But certainly not immediately.

Schools would be insane to hire them for next year.

What this FBI investigation seems to be confirming is that Sean Miller, who always had a roster full of McDonald's All-Americans but couldn't win in the tournament, is not the great coach people like Vitale have been hyping and may only be a great recruiter due to the cash flowing to the players he gets.
Who in their right mind will hire someone like him in the future? Even after a few years. What you get is likely to be Bruce Pearl incarnate and you'll just be waiting for the next show to drop.

Reaction Score
I doubt miller or others lose their jobs until the investigation is through. Just a gut feeling. Too many people involved

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I’ve been as critical as anyone about KO. The lack of player development, his inability to motivate the team, to properly adjust to in game situations, and the lack of player retention are just a few of the issues.

But if UConn gets off unscathed over the next month, does KO get another year? Should they maintain consistency at Head Coach in a sport that will be a revolving door of chaos?

Not chalking up his failure to recruiting disadvantage, but would it make sense to keep him for another year in an environment of very choppy waters for players, coaches, and programs.

I don't think that's a compelling reason to keep him. If anything, this may present a perfect opportunity to get a killer recruiter who can take advantage of the chaos. As Baron Rothschild famously said, "The time to buy is when there's blood in the streets." And as others have added to that: "Even if it's your own."

Reaction Score
Look, Ollie on multiple levels, should be shown the door. KO would have a hard time arguing otherwise.

The question is if you allow him to steer the UConn ship just a little longer while the rest of college hoops is in peril over potential coaching changes, tourney bans, and recruits likely avoiding those schools.

No one is bigger than the program. It’s not the UKev or UCalhoun. And that’s why so many of us are willing to show KO the door given recent results.

But can we also ignore developed hatred for the guy and frustration over what’s become of UConn to give him another year because in this climate, it might be best for the program?

I don’t have the answer. Don’t know. And obviously, before the clowns come out, if he is caught paying players or faces major infractions, yes this is moot. In the absence of those facts, do we just fire him anyway?

Reaction Score
KO has crap to work with but would a good coach have this many 25 point losses even with this motley crew? No. Not only are we blown out of the water by anybody decent but it’s a life and death struggle against even the mediocre. Can’t believe there are those that want this to go on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom