NCAA records for the last 5 years | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA records for the last 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am reluctant to get involved with this, but what the heck. Anyway, I disagree.
In the last two FF losses, Bueckers shot 11-26 with 6 assists and 4 turnovers, hardly the stuff of ”the” best. In neither game did she make a real attempt to “take over”, which is what Uconn needed. Auriemma changed the whole team approach last year because that is what he felt was needed to win the national championship and in the championship game she played well but not at the level needed; more importantly in my mind, she needed to at least try in both games ( Arizona and SC) to put the team on her shoulders like she did late against NC State but for whatever reason it didn’t happen. Like it or not, fair or unfair, those are the games “the” best earn that distinction.
IMO, Bueckers is an absolutely terrific player, of that there is absolutely no doubt, but again IMO, many, not just Uconn fans, have prematurely put her on a pedestal she has not yet earned.
Tend to agree.
Uninjured, completely healthy , probably yes.
But this is not the case.

Reaction Score
How many WTF games has UConn lost in the last 5 years (or 25 years, for that matter)? Maintaining focus and beating the teams you’re supposed to beat for decades sounds easy but it’s not. Winning that much at anything - basketball, football, heck, tiddlywinks- is not easy.

Im not sure why you’re so dismissive of the team’s continued high level of success. But we had fans calling for Geno to retire when the short-handed team lost 6 games last year, National Championship game be damned. I just don’t see it.
I truly like you defense of MY TEAM.
I live a sheltered life, except for an occasional idiot in some classless media, NO FAN of UConn would demand Geno retire--. Over nearly 40 years, he's won 30 or more ( league be darned) than most Div one coaches could count.
However, giving the poster the possibility of his comment "tongue in cheek", I doubt it was serious, I hope!.

Reaction Score
If the point of this thread is to try to prove that UCONN has had- and continues to have one of the elite programs in the sport, who could possibly take issue with that?

If they were in a decent conference, their record would not be as good but they would still be a FINAL FOUR team.

They continue to attract enough top talent to maintain elite status.

The only difference between years gone by and recent history is the growth of talent at many schools which has taken UCONN from a pedestal of one to a basket of a growing group that can win it all.

National Championships are no longer easy to win. The days of many consecutive years of dominance are over. UCONN’s lack of winning a NC recently is proof of that. It’s all good. For the sport, the fans…..except for my granddaughter who is entering 1st grade, watches the games with me and has yet to see the confetti fall from the ceiling on to Geno’s head.
Uconn has been sitting at the top of the heap for most of 30 years. Many dominant WCBB programs are now --after thoughts or WHO? Geno a brash, young , handsome guy--took the WCBB crowd by surprise, and kept surprising us UConn (the truly fans) Fans on his ride. Mostly up, with a dip here and there. His Olympic record is among the best.
Remember--Uconn evolved from a hick state (I was born there), Ag school, rose out of the Yankee (New England states ) Conference. Now in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, even in South Carolina, you say Geno they say Uconn, You say Uconn--they say GENO. What other Women's coach has that status???

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Probably near the top in total wins and winning percentage.
All trivial numbers.
All that matters is winning the last game in the dance.
P-E-R-I-O-D.
Drop mike
Fade to black
And which program, since WBB started, has the most last game wins in the dance?
That's all folks...

Reaction Score
2 points, Auriemma stated that during this so called down period he did not have his best recruiting classes for 2 seasons. In regards to players, of course wins, loses, and percentage matters, but what comes with it, is the T.V. exposure, social platform and endorsement potential that matters to them the most.

Reaction Score
Uconn has been sitting at the top of the heap for most of 30 years. Many dominant WCBB programs are now --after thoughts or WHO? Geno a brash, young , handsome guy--took the WCBB crowd by surprise, and kept surprising us UConn (the truly fans) Fans on his ride. Mostly up, with a dip here and there. His Olympic record is among the best.
Remember--Uconn evolved from a hick state (I was born there), Ag school, rose out of the Yankee (New England states ) Conference. Now in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, even in South Carolina, you say Geno they say Uconn, You say Uconn--they say GENO. What other Women's coach has that status???
Jeez….you don’t have a poster of Geno on your bedroom ceiling I hope.

Reaction Score
I am reluctant to get involved with this, but what the heck. Anyway, I disagree.
In the last two FF losses, Bueckers shot 11-26 with 6 assists and 4 turnovers, hardly the stuff of ”the” best. In neither game did she make a real attempt to “take over”, which is what Uconn needed. Auriemma changed the whole team approach last year because that is what he felt was needed to win the national championship and in the championship game she played well but not at the level needed; more importantly in my mind, she needed to at least try in both games ( Arizona and SC) to put the team on her shoulders like she did late against NC State but for whatever reason it didn’t happen. Like it or not, fair or unfair, those are the games “the” best earn that distinction.
IMO, Bueckers is an absolutely terrific player, of that there is absolutely no doubt, but again IMO, many, not just Uconn fans, have prematurely put her on a pedestal she has not yet earned.
In my opinion Paige earned the pedestal her freshman year. I think the people who give out awards tend to agree with that.

Reaction Score
I truly like you defense of MY TEAM.
I live a sheltered life, except for an occasional idiot in some classless media, NO FAN of UConn would demand Geno retire--. Over nearly 40 years, he's won 30 or more ( league be darned) than most Div one coaches could count.
However, giving the poster the possibility of his comment "tongue in cheek", I doubt it was serious, I hope!.
When the stress and aggravation outweigh the joy & fun, Geno will head for the hills.
Until then there’s a limitless supply of extraordinary young athletes for the Jedi master to teach & train in the ways of The Force.
He’ll never admit it, but I’m sure he gets a lump in his throat when one of his former protégés makes good in the WNBA or Olympics.
Unless his health, G-d forbid, fails him, why would he walk away from a fulfilling life like this?
I don’t see the UCONN trustees pushing him out.
The alumni would be out with torches and pitchforks.

Reaction Score
In my opinion Paige earned the pedestal her freshman year. I think the people who give out awards tend to agree with that.
So she won the Player Of The Year award once and that justifies the type of hype she gets on this board, to be able to be labeled “the” best? Boston has a POY and a NC, where does that put her? If one POY makes you worthy of putting talked about in those terms that is a long list in any discussion of “the” best.
But your reply is exactly why I shouldn’t have went there, my bad. My last word, we just disagree.

Reaction Score
I do not think that AT ALL.
I’m just glad that they’re back in the Big East and have left the AAC in their rear view.
Now if only the other BE teams can raise their level of play….at least be competitive.
Last years NIT a glimmer of hope?
Not only Seton Hall being in the Finals of the NIT...Please don't forget Creighton in the GREAT 8 of the NCAA
tournament, beating both Iowa and Iowa State.!!! And... most of those Bluejay women are
coming back for the 2022- 2023 campaign!!! Go Big East!! GO Huskies!

Reaction Score
The pedestal was being voted THE NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE YEAR when Paige
was a freshman... I think that was "earned"..... Without the injury who would
have thought she could not compete for that honor again as a sophomore??

Reaction Score
So she won the Player Of The Year award once and that justifies the type of hype she gets on this board, to be able to be labeled “the” best? Boston has a POY and a NC, where does that put her? If one POY makes you worthy of putting talked about in those terms that is a long list in any discussion of “the” best.
But your reply is exactly why I shouldn’t have went there, my bad. My last word, we just disagree.
Paige won all the possible awards in her freshman year not just AP Player Of The Year. She is the first ever freshman to win AP POY in history.

Aliyah Boston won AP POY at her junior year. Although she also won other POY awards but not in her freshman year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, very little real basketball discussion here. I explained why I felt as I do about Bueckers by citing PERFORMANCE, which is all that matters, and I get plenty of ‘dislikes” which I couldn’t care less about and one comment citing what is essentially a subjective, PR driven award which is relatively meaningless since NO ONE can see enough of enough players to judge.
Not a comment rebutting my feeling that Bueckers came up two years in a row relatively a bit middle of the road in the games that separate the legitimate AA players from the all-time greats. I repeat, IMO, Bueckers is a terrific player that so far has no business being mentioned in any conversation of “the” best. That is NOT a knock on her at all from my perspective, but obviously, the predictors of 4 NCs, those that insisted she was a generational player, etc. etc. from the time she committed to Uconn, disagree.
I hope I am smart enough to not go there anymore, but “the” best is reserved for the Taurasi’s, Bird’s, Stewart’s, etc.; those that played their best when the spotlight was the absolute brightest; those that did it once and then did it again. I am not at all saying Bueckers can’t or won’t get there but I am saying a player has to do it before they are anointed, IMO you just don’t get on that pedestal by coulda.

Reaction Score
When the stress and aggravation outweigh the joy & fun, Geno will head for the hills.
Until then there’s a limitless supply of extraordinary young athletes for the Jedi master to teach & train in the ways of The Force.

He’ll never admit it, but I’m sure he gets a lump in his throat when one of his former protégés makes good in the WNBA or Olympics.
Unless his health, G-d forbid, fails him, why would he walk away from a fulfilling life like this?
I don’t see the UCONN trustees pushing him out.
The alumni would be out with torches and pitchforks.
I've said words meaning the same thing: I.e. Geno shall remain with Uconn until it is no longer fun.
Being a coach of Geno's ability, world widely known, Top Players and now older women adoring him--that is pretty heady living.
From what I see, this far from the inner circle, Geno will be here for a long long time. Obviously with the team and kids coming in 5 more years (and beyond) SEEM most possible.
Geno will never be pushed out, they'll carry him out on their shoulders.

Reaction Score
Paige won all the possible awards in her freshman year not just AP Player Of The Year. She is the first ever freshman to win AP POY in history.

Aliyah Boston won AP POY at her junior year. Although she also won other POY awards but not in her freshman year.

I'm with you on this K.
The value of Paiges isn't her awards. It is what she does for the team. On the floor when the team can't score , she does. On the sidelines she is a cheerleader par-excellant '. Secondary coach. Her presence on the bench is notice to the team---you MUST WIN this for the UConn Gipper. She is so much not seen, not heard, not felt but just being THERE is a comfort for the team. Who else can do that?

Reaction Score
So, very little real basketball discussion here. I explained why I felt as I do about Bueckers by citing PERFORMANCE, which is all that matters, and I get plenty of ‘dislikes” which I couldn’t care less about and one comment citing what is essentially a subjective, PR driven award which is relatively meaningless since NO ONE can see enough of enough players to judge.
Not a comment rebutting my feeling that Bueckers came up two years in a row relatively a bit middle of the road in the games that separate the legitimate AA players from the all-time greats. I repeat, IMO, Bueckers is a terrific player that so far has no business being mentioned in any conversation of “the” best. That is NOT a knock on her at all from my perspective, but obviously, the predictors of 4 NCs, those that insisted she was a generational player, etc. etc. from the time she committed to Uconn, disagree.
I hope I am smart enough to not go there anymore, but “the” best is reserved for the Taurasi’s, Bird’s, Stewart’s, etc.; those that played their best when the spotlight was the absolute brightest; those that did it once and then did it again. I am not at all saying Bueckers can’t or won’t get there but I am saying a player has to do it before they are anointed, IMO you just don’t get on that pedestal by coulda.
Normally, I'd be saying what you say---and you listed all I would have listed.
But, no insult intended, these after all are OPINIONS, but did you actually see Paige, a healthy Paige, play for Uconn these past 2 years? Injured or healthy, when the going got the toughest is when Paige delivered
When the bright lights were on, she didn't HOG the brightest lights, her team did. She did anything and everything to win--and she did. She isn't 200 pounds not 6ft 5 in tall, she is a very light 6 ft something and pound for pound, inch for inch, I challenge you to show me a player that delivers in MUST deliver time. Check the NC game Stanford game this past year, any one leading up to the NC. Only a season ending injury kept her off the floor, HEART is now spelled PAIGE.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“Hick state?”
The Good Fight GIF by Paramount+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member