NCAA records for the last 5 years | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA records for the last 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's another list UConn is 1st in (probably tied)... most tournament losses the last 5 years.
Please show us Your Number.

The maximum a team can lose in a tournament is 1 in any year, remember.
UConn tournament records from 2015-2021, loses only 4 games.
2015, won the NC
2016, won the NC
2017, lost 1 game to Mississippi State in Final 4.
2018, lost 1 game to ND at Semifinal.
2020, lost 1 game to Arizona at Final 4.
2021, lost 1 game to South Carolina in Final NC.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
How is stating a FACT dismissive? Everyone on this board complained for years how easy the AAC was and some even complained about the BE not being good UConn's 1st year.

Using your logic, you must think that FGCU has been the 3rd best team in the country the last 5 years.

Here's another list UConn is 1st in (probably tied)... most tournament losses the last 5 years.
So you are saying that only UConn has been to the tournament the last 5 years and has the most losses. Well every team that has made it to the tournament the last 5 consecutive years has 5 losses except SoCar, Baylor, ND and Stanford. Every other team in the nation has 5 losses. Teams like Tennessee, Maryland, Louisville, NC State...

Reaction Score

2015, won the NC
2016, won the NC
i believe that was the OP's point in a humorous way lol . If you have not won a title in the last 5 years you have 5 losses lol . Seems it went over a few's head lol.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
How is stating a FACT dismissive? Everyone on this board complained for years how easy the AAC was and some even complained about the BE not being good UConn's 1st year.

Using your logic, you must think that FGCU has been the 3rd best team in the country the last 5 years.

UConn has been to every Final Four since 2008, 2020 excluded due to COVID. That's 14 consecutive FF's, the closest to UConn during the same period is 5 consecutive, held by both Stanford and Notre Dame. If a team can make it to the FF for 14 consecutive years they must be doing something right, it doesn't matter what Conference you are in.

Here are the Final Four tournament records over the past 14 years;
UConn is 6 - 8
Baylor is 2 - 1
South Carolina is 2 - 2
Stanford 1 - 8
Notre Dame is 1 - 5
Texas A&M and Tennessee are 1 - 0
Louisville is 0 - 4
Mississippi State, Oklahoma, and Maryland are 0 - 2
Arizona, California, LSU, Oregon, Oregon State, Syracuse, and Washington are 0 - 1.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
i believe that was the OP's point in a humorous way lol . If you have not won a title in the last 5 years you have 5 losses lol . Seems it went over a few's head lol.

2015, won the NC
2016, won the NC
Kaizen you are correct in the loses, but the Arizona game was in 2019, the 2020 tournament was cancelled due to COVID.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kaizen you are correct in the loses, but the Arizona game was in 2019, the 2020 tournament was cancelled due to COVID.
Arizona was '21. It was an all Pac-12 Championship Game w/ Stanford claiming the prize.

Reaction Score
Weak conference(s) inflate the records.
Oh No Reaction GIF by CBS

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
UConn has been to every Final Four since 2008, 2020 excluded due to COVID. That's 14 consecutive FF's, the closest to UConn during the same period is 5 consecutive, held by both Stanford and Notre Dame. If a team can make it to the FF for 14 consecutive years they must be doing something right, it doesn't matter what Conference you are in.

UConn is 6 - 8
Baylor is 2 - 1
South Carolina is 2 - 2
Stanford 1 - 8
Notre Dame is 1 - 5
Louisville is 0 - 4
Arizona, California, LSU, Oregon, Oregon State, Syracuse, and Washington are 0 - 1.
I messed up on the numbers by not counting the Semi-Final wins so here is the corrected version.

UConn is 13 - 8
Notre Dame is 7 - 6
Baylor is 4 - 1
South Carolina is 4 - 2
Stanford is 4 - 8
Texas A&M and Tennessee are 2 - 0
Mississippi State is 2 - 2
Louisville is 2 - 4
Arizona and Syracuse are 1 - 1
Oklahoma and Maryland are 0 - 2
California, LSU, Oregon, Oregon State and Washington are 0 - 1.

Sorry, can't figure out how it happened, the only thing I would call it was I had a "Brain Fart", as we said in the Army on mess ups. Of course that is the clean version, can't use the other term because it's not allowed on this site.

Reaction Score
Probably near the top in total wins and winning percentage.
All trivial numbers.
All that matters is winning the last game in the dance.
P-E-R-I-O-D.
Drop mike
Fade to black
I think total wins, winning percentages, consistency, and many other “ trivial” numbers mean a lot to recruits (among others) which is why we continue to land top players who then maintain those winning percentages. Even high school athletes are able to understand that before you can win a title, you must make it to the Final Four. Therefore, if a team continually makes it to the Final Four, that team (by definition) will have more opportunities to win a title than others who do not! It’s all very simple.

Reaction Score
As horrible as some think UConn has been in the last 5 years…..

are there really people here who think UConn has been "horrible?" Final Four every year, and on NC game..... hard to label that horrible!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
are there really people here who think UConn has been "horrible?" Final Four every year, and on NC game..... hard to label that horrible!
You would think. But there were more than a few that said the game had passed Geno by and it was time to retire. This, after what I thought was one of Geno’s best coaching years, getting to the championship game with only 3/4 of a roster available most of the year.

There are people that want the easy 40 point blowouts back and see the lack of them as failure. They are either not following recruiting or are new fans. Twenty five years ago, UConn, Tennessee, Stanford, Penn State, North Carolina, LA Tech, and a couple more would just choose the recruits they wanted. Now, recruits have a lot more options and are heading to Arizona, Mississippi State, LSU, Baylor, or even a UCF or DePaul.

And the quality of coaching is greatly improved. Coach Abe of UCF/Georgia started at Albany and without the growth of the game would probably still be toiling away in obscurity there. But fortunately, schools are actively looking for quality coaches these days and as a result there are more good teams.

We are nearing parity, whether people want it or not. This is where we separate the fans of UConn basketball from the fans of Our Girls.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
You would think. But there were more than a few that said the game had passed Geno by and it was time to retire. This, after what I thought was one of Geno’s best coaching years, getting to the championship game with only 3/4 of a roster available most of the year.

There are people that want the easy 40 point blowouts back and see the lack of them as failure. They are either not following recruiting or are new fans. Twenty five years ago, UConn, Tennessee, Stanford, Penn State, North Carolina, LA Tech, and a couple more would just choose the recruits they wanted. Now, recruits have a lot more options and are heading to Arizona, Mississippi State, LSU, Baylor, or even a UCF or DePaul.

And the quality of coaching is greatly improved. Coach Abe of UCF/Georgia started at Albany and without the growth of the game would probably still be toiling away in obscurity there. But fortunately, schools are actively looking for quality coaches these days and as a result there are more good teams.

We are nearing parity, whether people want it or not. This is where we separate the fans of UConn basketball from the fans of Our Girls.
I hope that a certain contingent of BYers doesn't take offense because you omitted SoCar. I believe that Dawn's recruiting has definitely improved ever since A'ja committed and helped Dawn get her first NC. :)

Reaction Score

If one can understand that the landscape of Woman’s NCAA Hoops has changed, is it a real stretch to understand that the game has changed along with it?
Last year was, in my opinion, the best job Coach Geno ever did.
So he is still at the top of his game. ( never doubted this)
But, many here seem to think that the successes of winning a National Title on the backs of 7 or 8 players, because it was done in the past, is still a recipe for success.
On this point, I STRONGLY disagree.
Player development and the necessity to substitute with little or no appreciable drop off in quality of play is paramount.
This is accomplished by eliminating 40-50 point rollovers and giving players further down the roster meaningful minutes in situations that may be of consequence.

Reaction Score

UConn is 6 - 8
Baylor is 2 - 1
South Carolina is 2 - 2
Stanford 1 - 8
Notre Dame is 1 - 5
Louisville is 0 - 4
Excluding 2020 is the kicker , that was the one year where we may have not been a top 4 team with Baylor , Oregon , Notre Dame , SC, Maryland & Stanford having a lot of success that year. 2020 tourney getting cancelled was a saving grace year tbh.

Reaction Score
I think total wins, winning percentages, consistency, and many other “ trivial” numbers mean a lot to recruits (among others) which is why we continue to land top players who then maintain those winning percentages. Even high school athletes are able to understand that before you can win a title, you must make it to the Final Four. Therefore, if a team continually makes it to the Final Four, that team (by definition) will have more opportunities to win a title than others who do not! It’s all very simple.
Sounds like an ad for Mohegan Sun.

"You Can't Win If You Don't Play"

Reaction Score
Excluding 2020 is the kicker , that was the one year where we may have not been a top 4 team with Baylor , Oregon , Notre Dame , SC, Maryland & Stanford having a lot of success that year. 2020 tourney getting cancelled was a saving grace year tbh.
As moot a point as we've ever had and I'm in no way criticizing your post. But as long as we have Geno and they don't, we're in the "final four" discussion (and I don't care what the selection committee says).

Reaction Score
There is so much wrong in the above post, where to start?

• Everyone didn’t complain about the AAC; a faction did. Did you watch the early years when UConn was in the Big East? The other teams were awful, then Rutgers hired CV Stringer, BC hired Kathy Inglese, ND hired Muffet, Louisville hired Jeff Walz , and St John’s hired Kim Barnes Arico and the league became a powerhouse. UConn’s winning and getting games on TV made much of it happen. Those of us who lived through 75 point drubbings of Providence remember. Could UConn help raise the AAC’s profile in the same way? Maybe. That’s why a lot of people took a wait and see position
  • Nothing in the tweet says the stats mean UConn is the best team in the country and neither did my post. You’re making assumptions and being snarky with your erroneous conclusion
  • UConn being tied for tourney losses mean it’s gotten to the tourney and advanced far all those times. It doesn’t mean the team is bad.
Man, people are really hunting up ways to show how bad the team is.
Time for me to interject one of my “ irks” or “ pet peeves” if you prefer.

Www are talking about the UConn “ program” over this period -not “team.”

Breanna Stewart and Paige Bueckers have never been team mates (yet.) nor have A’ja Wilson and Aliya Boston.

Sorry for the digression

Reaction Score
She wasn't just "our" best player. She was "the" best player.
I am reluctant to get involved with this, but what the heck. Anyway, I disagree.
In the last two FF losses, Bueckers shot 11-26 with 6 assists and 4 turnovers, hardly the stuff of ”the” best. In neither game did she make a real attempt to “take over”, which is what Uconn needed. Auriemma changed the whole team approach last year because that is what he felt was needed to win the national championship and in the championship game she played well but not at the level needed; more importantly in my mind, she needed to at least try in both games ( Arizona and SC) to put the team on her shoulders like she did late against NC State but for whatever reason it didn’t happen. Like it or not, fair or unfair, those are the games “the” best earn that distinction.
IMO, Bueckers is an absolutely terrific player, of that there is absolutely no doubt, but again IMO, many, not just Uconn fans, have prematurely put her on a pedestal she has not yet earned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom