NCAA records for the last 5 years | The Boneyard

NCAA records for the last 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Thank you, Nan. As much as has been written about the demise of our beloved young women, they continue to perform and outperform, in the face of adversity. It is gratifying to see such a simple statistic as this and realize the opponents are still "climbing" to our team's level.

As we look forward to another successful season, with still more adversity, UConn will still be the team all others want to defeat. That's just fact and not conjecture. Go UConn.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Weak conference(s) inflate the records.
How many WTF games has UConn lost in the last 5 years (or 25 years, for that matter)? Maintaining focus and beating the teams you’re supposed to beat for decades sounds easy but it’s not. Winning that much at anything - basketball, football, heck, tiddlywinks- is not easy.

Im not sure why you’re so dismissive of the team’s continued high level of success. But we had fans calling for Geno to retire when the short-handed team lost 6 games last year, National Championship game be damned. I just don’t see it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Weak conference(s) inflate the records.
Undoubtedly true. Of course, Connecticut consistently maintains one of the strongest strength of schedule in the country, which debunks the notion that opponent strength, or lack there of, is the basis for Connecticut’s success.

Reaction Score
I've never thought UConn has been below excellent these past few years. Their previous successes raised expectations to an almost impossible level to maintain and no one can stay on top forever.

I've repeatedly said that in 2017 and 2018 UConn probably had the "best" team but some things didn't go their way in the semifinals. I believe 19 to 21 UConn wasn't the clear cut, dominant favorite but still "could" have won the NC. Last spring they made it as far as they could with injuries and frankly lost to a better team.

Most fan bases would love to have the Huskies' record the past several years. What's happened is the air of invincibility is gone and may not be back this year without PB. Remember, last summer and fall everyone in the game believed UConn had the depth and talent to win before the injury bug hit. That same bug may happen to a different team this year. There is really no way to predict.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
When you have arguably the best coaches and the best players coming out of high school year after year, no one is going to feel sorry for our program falling short of the lofty expectations. Even the players tell us the reason they came to our program is to win National Titles, so whenever a class leaves without attaining at least one title you can bet, that despite having the best winning percentages or player development heading to the WNBA it will always be perceived as (falling short of the mark..) UConn failing...

I for one am not being lulled into thinking everything is Okay and just settling for this little moral victory. Personally, I want us to win the next 6) National Titles in a row, even if it comes with UConn obtaining the second or tenth-best winning percentages over the next 6 years.. At the end of the day, the team that walks away with the Championships is the one that history remembers...

LET'S GO HUSKIES!!!! Our Standards are our Own..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As horrible as some think UConn has been in the last 5 years…..

I do not think that AT ALL.
I’m just glad that they’re back in the Big East and have left the AAC in their rear view.
Now if only the other BE teams can raise their level of play….at least be competitive.
Last years NIT a glimmer of hope?

Reaction Score
Undoubtedly true. Of course, Connecticut consistently maintains one of the strongest strength of schedule in the country, which debunks the notion that opponent strength, or lack there of, is the basis for Connecticut’s success.
Say what you will about a weak conference schedule- but there is no escaping the crem’ de la crem’ in advancing to the final four or the Championship game.
And, uh, UCONN is a regular there.

Reaction Score
When you have arguably the best coaches and the best players coming out of high school year after year, no one is going to feel sorry for our program falling short of the lofty expectations. Even the players tell us the reason they came to our program is to win National Titles, so whenever a class leaves without attaining at least one title you can bet, that despite having the best winning percentages or player development heading to the WNBA it will always be perceived as (falling short of the mark..) UConn failing...

I for one am not being lulled into thinking everything is Okay and just settling for this little moral victory. Personally, I want us to win the next 6) National Titles in a row, even if it comes with UConn obtaining the second or tenth-best winning percentages over the next 6 years.. At the end of the day, the team that walks away with the Championships is the one that history remembers...

LET'S GO HUSKIES!!!! Our Standards are our Own..
Very insightful post! No one can have it both ways; you can’t consistently talk national championships as the goal year after year, recruit after recruit; never mind establishing the unparalleled historical success and not have some legitimate negativity when Uconn has continued to recruit at the highest of levels. The fact is UConn’s success since 2016 is absolutely off the charts fantastic for any OTHER program but Uconn has set the bar so high, continued to talk the talk and recruit at the highest of levels so fairly or unfairly their standard is unlike that of any other program. No one should ever be fooled into thinking life is fair.

Reaction Score
If the point of this thread is to try to prove that UCONN has had- and continues to have one of the elite programs in the sport, who could possibly take issue with that?

If they were in a decent conference, their record would not be as good but they would still be a FINAL FOUR team.

They continue to attract enough top talent to maintain elite status.

The only difference between years gone by and recent history is the growth of talent at many schools which has taken UCONN from a pedestal of one to a basket of a growing group that can win it all.

National Championships are no longer easy to win. The days of many consecutive years of dominance are over. UCONN’s lack of winning a NC recently is proof of that. It’s all good. For the sport, the fans…..except for my granddaughter who is entering 1st grade, watches the games with me and has yet to see the confetti fall from the ceiling on to Geno’s head.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
If the point of this thread is to try to prove that UCONN has had- and continues to have one of the elite programs in the sport, who could possibly take issue with that?

If they were in a decent conference, their record would not be as good but they would still be a FINAL FOUR team.

They continue to attract enough top talent to maintain elite status.

The only difference between years gone by and recent history is the growth of talent at many schools which has taken UCONN from a pedestal of one to a basket of a growing group that can win it all.

National Championships are no longer easy to win. The days of many consecutive years of dominance are over. UCONN’s lack of winning a NC recently is proof of that. It’s all good. For the sport, the fans…..except for my granddaughter who is entering 1st grade, watches the games with me and has yet to see the confetti fall from the ceiling on to Geno’s head.

The funny thing is, who is to say that if they were in a "better Conference" their record wouldn't even be better. Sometimes playing against better consistent competition can help a team to reach higher levels of performance... it's not like we haven't done it before when the Big East was the best conference.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Ok then look at the number of consecutive Final Four appearances and see where UConn stands and the number of consecutive FFs that the other Top 5 have. A weak conference has nothing to do with this record.
Edited. :(:confused:

Reaction Score
How many WTF games has UConn lost in the last 5 years (or 25 years, for that matter)? Maintaining focus and beating the teams you’re supposed to beat for decades sounds easy but it’s not. Winning that much at anything - basketball, football, heck, tiddlywinks- is not easy.

Im not sure why you’re so dismissive of the team’s continued high level of success. But we had fans calling for Geno to retire when the short-handed team lost 6 games last year, National Championship game be damned. I just don’t see it.

How is stating a FACT dismissive? Everyone on this board complained for years how easy the AAC was and some even complained about the BE not being good UConn's 1st year.

Using your logic, you must think that FGCU has been the 3rd best team in the country the last 5 years.

Here's another list UConn is 1st in (probably tied)... most tournament losses the last 5 years.

Reaction Score
Maybe I look at things a little differently.
I’ve only been following WCBB for about 5 years. The UCONN program is what intrigued me.
Geno and his coaches and players seemed somehow special. Got to appreciate the different skill sets and personalities.
Never saw Geno cut down the nets, but I have had the privilege of seeing some pretty thrilling basketball executed by some phenomenal young women.
I’m sure that if I had watched 4 straight NC seasons, including a couple of undefeated ones, my perspective might be different.
My personal expectations and standards would be higher.
I can honestly say that I found last season’s campaign to be one of the most extraordinary sagas in sports.
The roller coaster ride that went on & on, game after game kept me on the edge of my seat for months.
Heartbreaking, gut-wrenching losses interspersed with thrilling winning efforts.
And the not knowing who would be bitten by the injury demon.
And more importantly, who was going to step up and be the Heroine of the Day.
As disappointed as I was that the ending was what it was, there was no sense that The Huskies didn’t give me my money’s worth.
My mouth has been watering in anticipation of seeing just how good they can be if they can be healthy and whole.
When Paige was lost for the season, I thought “ WTF!! Now what!!”
But in spite of that I somehow know that no matter what, this group will do anything but quit.
I’m looking forward to ups, downs, surprises, and learning to appreciate each veteran and newbie as the team begins to establish its mojo.
Will CD still be able to keep Geno off the court?
And, as an extra added ring in the Storrs Circus, will Geno be able to keep Coach Paige off the court?
Fasten your seat belts, we’re in for a bumpy ride!!

Reaction Score
Then maybe we should be talking more about who gets to the Final Four most often!?
Making the final four with much easier paths than of teams who play in a tough conference getting seeded 2/3/4 with a harder path seems to be the gray area.

Reaction Score
How is stating a FACT dismissive? Everyone on this board complained for years how easy the AAC was and some even complained about the BE not being good UConn's 1st year.

Using your logic, you must think that FGCU has been the 3rd best team in the country the last 5 years.

Here's another list UConn is 1st in (probably tied)... most tournament losses the last 5 years.
%

Reaction Score
Probably near the top in total wins and winning percentage.
All trivial numbers.
All that matters is winning the last game in the dance.
P-E-R-I-O-D.
Drop mike
Fade to black

Reaction Score
I do not think that AT ALL.
I’m just glad that they’re back in the Big East and have left the AAC in their rear view.
Now if only the other BE teams can raise their level of play….at least be competitive.
Last years NIT a glimmer of hope?

Perception has a lot to do with it. The BE is perceived as much weaker than the P-5. That is true but the difference is less than many like to think.
I post the coaches' poll which is the only one that is done after the NCAA's. As usual, how a team did in the NCAA's is reflected. With one glaring diiference.

Coaches Poll final for 2022 (after the NCAA's)
1 South Carolina (won title)
2 UConn (lost title game)
3 Stanford lost in 5th round
4 Louisville lost in 5th round
5 NC State lost in 4th round
6 Texas lost in 5th round
7 Michigan lost in 4th round
8 Iowa State lost in 3rd round (to Creighton)
9 Maryland lost in 3rd round
10 Indiana lost in 4th round
23 Creighton lost in 5th round ( beat No 8 Iowa St and No 14 Iowa)

There is no rule saying that the tournament results have to be reflected in the rankings but the final poll suggests that it did. Despite being a 3 seed UConn was vaulted to No 2. In fact the rankings are very close to the NCAA results.
Except for Creighton. Despite being one of the last 8 standing and wins over the 2 Iowa teams, Creighton could do no better than 23rd. UCF, UFGC, BYU were all ranked higher in the final poll.
If this wasn't a combination of bias and/or ignorance, then why? I'm sure some would say that it reflected the entire season. I say BS. I can understand not making Creighton the No 8 team but 23rd?

The Big East had 2 teams out of 11 get to the E8. The SEC had 1 out of 14.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

There is so much wrong in the above post, where to start?

• Everyone didn’t complain about the AAC; a faction did. Did you watch the early years when UConn was in the Big East? The other teams were awful, then Rutgers hired CV Stringer, BC hired Kathy Inglese, ND hired Muffet, Louisville hired Jeff Walz , and St John’s hired Kim Barnes Arico and the league became a powerhouse. UConn’s winning and getting games on TV made much of it happen. Those of us who lived through 75 point drubbings of Providence remember. Could UConn help raise the AAC’s profile in the same way? Maybe. That’s why a lot of people took a wait and see position
  • Nothing in the tweet says the stats mean UConn is the best team in the country and neither did my post. You’re making assumptions and being snarky with your erroneous conclusion
  • UConn being tied for tourney losses mean it’s gotten to the tourney and advanced far all those times. It doesn’t mean the team is bad.
Man, people are really hunting up ways to show how bad the team is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom