NCAA investigation tactics | The Boneyard

NCAA investigation tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The difference is that we suffered the consequences and schools like Miami or Syracuse or Auburn or whoever might not.

As far as I'm concerned, the NCAA can turn the klieg lights on those bastards.

Reaction Score
The saddest part of the whole thing is that the media is defending Miami and never rescued us. Payment $ to players (Miami) vs. kids that struggled bc classes were hard (UConn making players take real classes). hmmmm

Reaction Score
Don't forget the "Prove to us where the money came from for your son's Christmas presents, Mrs. Boatright. We need to see your records." line of questioning.

I know it's anecdotal, but it seems like the NCAA bent rules like cops in a movie trying to take down an underworld kingpin. Except they were only "protecting" the world from someone who may have broken rules concerning collegiate athletic eligibility. And there's no internal affairs dept to clean them up.

Reaction Score
Make no mistake, had the NCAA not inadvertently revealed their own misdeeds, no one would be defending Miami. Despite the fact that the Yahoo story seems incredibly flimsy in terms of actual proof, people were drawn to it and its sensational claims, and were more than happy to believe every word of it.

The real shame is that they didn't trip themselves up publicly when rigging up a new rule and a retroactive punishment. If they had, then maybe it would have been a different story. What I don't understand is why no one is making any noise about it now. We can never get back the post season that was taken away, but someone, anyone should be making public noise about the unfairness of it so that it can never happen again.

Reaction Score
The difference is that we suffered the consequences and schools like Miami or Syracuse or Auburn or whoever might not.

As far as I'm concerned, the NCAA can turn the klieg lights on those bastards.
What exactly did Syracuse do again?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Make no mistake, had the NCAA not inadvertently revealed their own misdeeds, no one would be defending Miami. Despite the fact that the Yahoo story seems incredibly flimsy in terms of actual proof, people were drawn to it and its sensational claims, and were more than happy to believe every word of it.

The real shame is that they didn't trip themselves up publicly when rigging up a new rule and a retroactive punishment. If they had, then maybe it would have been a different story. What I don't understand is why no one is making any noise about it now. We can never get back the post season that was taken away, but someone, anyone should be making public noise about the unfairness of it so that it can never happen again.
I submit that part of the perception issue is UConn's decision to got with the "none of the kids who did this are here anymore defense." They should have hit the ex post facto (after the fact rule change) and double jeopardy (We were punished for 2008 twice) elements. Those would have resonated far, far better. Also we had the change to press the NCAA on the Nate Miles HIPAA violation but chose not to. For whatever reason, we opted to play nice. It did not work out for us.

Reaction Score
I submit that part of the perception issue is UConn's decision to got with the "none of the kids who did this are here anymore defense." They should have hit the ex post facto (after the fact rule change) and double jeopardy (We were punished for 2008 twice) elements. Those would have resonated far, far better. Also we had the change to press the NCAA on the Nate Miles HIPAA violation but chose not to. For whatever reason, we opted to play nice. It did not work out for us.

I'm not sure anyone will ever play nice and cooperate with the NCAA again. Not unless they completely gut their "enforcement" department.

Reaction Score
Much easier to answer what they haven't done........but love the fact you still care so deeply about UConn basketball!!!;)
No really, what did SU do? And I wouldn't say I care about UConn, I'm just a huge college bball fan and follow other teams besides my favorite one, SU. UConn is a team of interest I have always followed, and will continue to do so even if we don't play each other.

Reaction Score
More like what did Syracuse not do?

Like not report a rape, drug violations, accurate grades...
Accurate grades? Please elaborate. Drug violations? Some college kids smoked pot? Are you shocked? It's 2013 in America. I bet almost every current SU player has smoked pot before, and I bet the same is true for UConn, Denver, UNC, Yale, Butler, FGCU, you name it. Not report a rape? I think rape is the wrong word. Sexual assault? Maybe. Those players had a hearing. Hard to believe anything after the Duke case.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Accurate grades? Please elaborate. Drug violations? Some college kids smoked pot? Are you shocked? It's 2013 in America. I bet almost every current SU player has smoked pot before, and I bet the same is true for UConn, Denver, UNC, Yale, Butler, FGCU, you name it. Not report a rape? I think rape is the wrong word. Sexual assault? Maybe. Those players had a hearing. Hard to believe anything after the Duke case.

It appears we disagree on this subject

Reaction Score
This seems to be the "pile it on phase" against the NCAA by bloggers who have been watching which way the wind blows. Where were they when UConn complained about the NCAA illegal obtainment of impermissible medical records? Why wasn't there an outpouring of support from these bastards? Even when Bilas complained that there was little there, no one looked deeper, assuming that UConn was "guilty". Now crap comes to the surface about Emmert's mismanagement of public funds while at UConn and the animus that followed. And still there isn't a word out there.
Protecting Frank Haith? Really? Don't get Fishy started! It won't be a pretty picture!

Reaction Score
I am still not convinced about the Duke case. Just as I am not convinced that OJ is not guilty. If it looks like a duck.....

Reaction Score
It appears we disagree on this subject
I am still not convinced about the Duke case. Just as I am not convinced that OJ is not guilty. If it looks like a duck.....
Agree. I'm still waiting for somebody to list a SU violation. Even listing SU in the same paragraph as Penn State and Auburn is laughable.

Reaction Score
Agree. I'm still waiting for somebody to list a SU violation. Even listing SU in the same paragraph as Penn State and Auburn is laughable.

You're closer to the rug everything gets swept under by JB and his team so please elaborate for us........to deny there have been many things that have found their way under those rugs would be laughable!!

Reaction Score

Check the gtown t shirt...too long to post them all.

Reaction Score

You're in the investigation phase. We all heard the allegations of covering up the drugs, administration cover-ups of other crimes, and possible misadventures with plagiarism and cheating, etc. In other words, Cuse hasn't been grilled yet. It is true however that the NCAA makes initial allegations which are later overturned, as in the UConn case, which determined there were many thousands of fewer phone calls than initially alleged.

Also, the NCAA isn't law enforcement. How the hell else do you think they come by information than by payoffs? This is how they work. Encouraging a doctor to violate privacy laws or a lawyer to conduct unethical questioning is probably how they operate BECAUSE they are a toothless organization when it comes to this stuff. This is what they do. Two things are shocking to me: one, that people are surprised. Two, that Shalala had the nerve to conduct this campaign of blowback, by framing this as a legal question. Paul frickin Dee was an NCAA honcho who came down like a ton of bricks on programs, and this is what she does? Incredible.

I know this, traitor, Shalala isn't going to be at U Miami forever, and the NCAA has a long institutional memory. She just painted a big target on your back. One way or the other, the grim reaper comes.

Reaction Score
You're in the investigation phase. We all heard the allegations of covering up the drugs, administration cover-ups of other crimes, and possible misadventures with plagiarism and cheating, etc. In other words, Cuse hasn't been grilled yet. It is true however that the NCAA makes initial allegations which are later overturned, as in the UConn case, which determined there were many thousands of fewer phone calls than initially alleged.

Also, the NCAA isn't law enforcement. How the hell else do you think they come by information than by payoffs? This is how they work. Encouraging a doctor to violate privacy laws or a lawyer to conduct unethical questioning is probably how they operate BECAUSE they are a toothless organization when it comes to this stuff. This is what they do. Two things are shocking to me: one, that people are surprised. Two, that Shalala had the nerve to conduct this campaign of blowback, by framing this as a legal question. Paul frickin Dee was an NCAA honcho who came down like a ton of bricks on programs, and this is what she does? Incredible.

I know this, traitor, Shalala isn't going to be at U Miami forever, and the NCAA has a long institutional memory. She just painted a big target on your back. One way or the other, the grim reaper comes.

I don't think it matters how long of a memory the NCAA has. This situation is going to change how programs deal with them. No one is ever going to cooperate with them in the way Miami did, not until they completely scrub this laughable "enforcement" division. And Miami has always had a target anyway, just look at the lengths the NCAA went to in this "investigation" in an effort to prove some of the stuff claimed by Shapiro and his unwitting partner Robinson. There has never been a less credible source in history and the only standard of proof applied seems to have been "self corroboration". Let some people other than Shapiro come forward with proof of more than dinners and drinks, phone calls and texts and I will believe it. Until then I consider it all just a con being run by a guy who is...a con man.

Even the NCAA's "self investigation" seems flawed and bumbled at this point so why should any reasonable minded person choose to believe anything that has not been proven, such as the handful of players that got one and two game suspensions two years ago? Everything else seems flimsy at best without someone else coming forward.

Reaction Score
I don't think it matters how long of a memory the NCAA has. This situation is going to change how programs deal with them. No one is ever going to cooperate with them in the way Miami did, not until they completely scrub this laughable "enforcement" division. And Miami has always had a target anyway, just look at the lengths the NCAA went to in this "investigation" in an effort to prove some of the stuff claimed by Shapiro and his unwitting partner Robinson. There has never been a less credible source in history and the only standard of proof applied seems to have been "self corroboration". Let some people other than Shapiro come forward with proof of more than dinners and drinks, phone calls and texts and I will believe it. Until then I consider it all just a con being run by a guy who is...a con man.

Even the NCAA's "self investigation" seems flawed and bumbled at this point so why should any reasonable minded person choose to believe anything that has not been proven, such as the handful of players that got one and two game suspensions two years ago? Everything else seems flimsy at best without someone else coming forward.

We simply disagree. Paul Dee was up top doing this to other programs. I mean, come on! Shapiro was paying off Miami players.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Check the gtown t shirt...too long to post them all.
Here is the list.
The Many Alleged Crimes of Syracuse Against Society
1976 - SYRACUSE hires Jim Boeheim as head basketball coach
1981 - SYRACUSE PLAYERS charged with rape
1988 - SYRACUSE PLAYER charged with harassment
1989 - SYRACUSE PLAYER charged with harassment again, pleads guilty
1991 - SYRACUSE PLAYER investigated for assaulting a Syracuse resident
1992 - SYRACUSE PLAYER arrested for fighting two police officers
1993 - SYRACUSE PLAYERS destroy property outside bar
1993 - SYRACUSE PLAYER charged with breaking into car
1995 - SYRACUSE PLAYER falsified his transfer transcript
1996 - SYRACUSE PLAYER suspended for physically harming female student
2001 - SYRACUSE PLAYER suspended for alleged rape and sexual harassment
2001 - SYRACUSE PLAYER suspended for driving while intoxicated
2002 - SYRACUSE PLAYER charged with hitting female team mascot
2004 - SYRACUSE PLAYER charged with drug possession
2007 - SYRACUSE PLAYERS put on probation for threatening mental health of female
2008 - SYRACUSE PLAYER put on probation for harming a student
2008 - SYRACUSE fires dean who pursued players' sexual assault charges
2008 - SYRACUSE PLAYER hits female student in the face
2011 - SYRACUSE PLAYER charged with criminal mischief
2011 - SYRACUSE ASSISTANT fired amid abuse allegations
2012 - SYRACUSE found to have hidden 10 positive drug tests by basketball players
2012 - SYRACUSE PLAYER caught shoplifting
2013 - SYRACUSE continues to fail to address their lack of institutional control
2013 - SYRACUSE leaves the Big East

Reaction Score
We simply disagree. Paul Dee was up top doing this to other programs. I mean, come on! Shapiro was paying off Miami players.

And you know this? We do know that a few players (6 in total I think) were found to have received some 3500.00 in impermissable benefits with the majority of it going to Olivier Vernon I believe. That has been absolutely proven. Now I think we can all agree that other stuff definitely went on. We would be foolish to believe otherwise, especially when the university has pretty much said so. What I take exception to is this idea, based on nothing more than the word of a proven con man, that they should be "burned to the ground" or some nonsense like that. It seems that we have some dinners and drinks, some kids getting transportation that they were not allowed to have, a bunch of texts and phone calls and not much else that has been proven. Where is the evidence of "hundreds of thousands" in dollars paid out? There isn't any. Hell, I would argue that the con man himself blew that away when he stated that "I knew I couldn't compete with the SEC".

I'm telling you, I was just like everyone else when this story broke. I know what goes on in collegiate athletics and I know what kind of scumbags that we have down here. But as time has gone on, more and more cracks in this thing have emerged and I find that I have no reason to believe any of the accusers or investigators in this case. Hell, they may have been killing, raping and eating people in Coral Gables for all I know, but I'm not believing it until I see it from a credible source.

This story doesn't meet any reasonable journalistic standard, this investigation doesn't meet any ethical standard and the accuser doesn't meet any standard at all, other than the standard of being a schemer and a con. With all of that in mind, I find it impossible to believe that this should go on any further unless someone steps forward with credible information.

As for Paul Dee, I don't care what he was doing to anyone else. If it was the same stuff then he should have been brought down as well. I would like to know why the NCAA never saw fit to interview him about this case, although I imagine it would be because they didn't want to publicize that a guy that allegedly oversaw a scandal was now in charge of punishing others for the same offenses.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Also, the NCAA isn't law enforcement. How the hell else do you think they come by information than by payoffs? This is how they work. Encouraging a doctor to violate privacy laws or a lawyer to conduct unethical questioning is probably how they operate BECAUSE they are a toothless organization when it comes to this stuff. This is what they do.

Law enforcement bribes too, but they just use different incentives (eg reduced sentence). Pretty much all investigation on a serious level involves some sort of payoff.

Reaction Score
As for Paul Dee, I don't care what he was doing to anyone else. If it was the same stuff then he should have been brought down as well. I would like to know why the NCAA never saw fit to interview him about this case, although I imagine it would be because they didn't want to publicize that a guy that allegedly oversaw a scandal was now in charge of punishing others for the same offenses.

You have to care.

This is an organization that claims to hold everyone to the same standards. That's the problem. Miami's fate should be tied to USC's and UConn's etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom