NCAA Final Four | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA Final Four

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Officiating, again, in the NCAA is horrid at best
If I'm Izzo, I'm just packing it up and heading to the bus - he can't win with the calls going this way

Reaction Score
I get your point, but I'm speaking more towards everything from 98 on. I grew up a Braves fan, and after a certain point it was just like, the automatic division titles and postseasons got old, it was just like how are they gonna get crushed and end up not winning a title. I know it's the spoiled UConn fan in me speaking, but I can't imagine seeing 7 FF trips in my life and only coming away with one title, with some blowout losses mixed in there.

Yea, everything you say is true. I am just especially impressed with their run considering that I feel like their roster is mediocre at best.

Reaction Score
How often has his team been the favorite? Also keep in mind, like UConn, his roster isn't loaded with Burger AAs every year like Dook, UK, KU and Zona.

Is Izzo a great Tournament coach or a mediocre regular season coach? Or both?

I mean, is it the case that his teams are so-so, and he gets them to play better in March? Or are his teams actually FF-worthy, but badly underachieve during the regular season?

Reaction Score
I've always thought that Izzo was a little overrated for this reason. He's a great coach, obviously, easily a HOF, but I shake my head when I hear him lumped in with guys like Calhoun, Pitino, K, etc.

People will look at this result and say, "eh, Duke had way more talent." And that's true. But Izzo has also been badly out-coached in this game, and has been almost every time he's gone up against Roy or K.

Last season was the one time where it seemed they had as much talent as anyone and they blew it.
Out-coached or out-manned?

Reaction Score
DogMania said:
How often has his team been the favorite? Also keep in mind, like UConn, his roster isn't loaded with Burger AAs every year like Dook, UK, KU and Zona.

Not sure about them being favorites or not but all I have read about him is how he beats "better" teams to get to the FF which I guess is true but his teams generally don't close the deal. In 1999, 2011 and 2014 uconn was an underdog at some point in the FF and won. They may have even been an underdog in 2004 against Dook. In 2009 MSU had a virtual home game in the final. His coaching should overcome the underdog thing more in the FF. As you said his rosters are similar to Uconns. We are 8-1 in the FF since 1999 as you know.

Reaction Score

I mean, is it the case that his teams are so-so, and he gets them to play better in March? Or are his teams actually FF-worthy, but badly underachieve during the regular season?

I don't know, it seems like he is his own category of coach that I don't quite know how to define.

Reaction Score
Well, that was ugly.

Meanwhile, we're still the only 7 seed to win the whole shebang. ;)

Reaction Score
BigErnMcCracken said:
Haha. Stop.

He has multiple occurrences of questionable on the court behavior, as a freshman. I don't care for the guy.

Reaction Score
Wisconsin's style of play combined with Duke's lack of depth probably nets Wisconsin a victory. Whether they'll have a crack at Duke is another story. A Kentucky vs. Duke matchup really has no potential for a net positive outcome. The pleasure garnered from seeing Team A or B's fan base getting crushed will be negated by having to watch Team A or B's fan base talking-trash. . .

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A Kentucky vs. Duke matchup really has no potential for a net positive outcome.
As remote as the possibility may be, a giant sink hole emerging and swallowing up the arena ~ 10:00 pm Monday would be a net positive outcome (assuming Wiscy can't pull it off tonight).

Reaction Score

I don't know if there is another Coach like him. Never seen it before. He has some kind of formula which obviously goes into effect late season, year in and year out. Remember a few years ago how he scheduled Tournament teams during the regular season every year. He would lose a few of them and whoola they were dismissed before the Sweet 16 and Izzo's squad was playing on.

I can only say that Izzo fears no team regular or post season. I think he has one more Championship in him though. If not MSU and their fans sure got their money's worth out of him.

Reaction Score
Try as they might, and all the comparisons to UConn last year, Michigan State just wasn't up to the task. Florida was a bigger favorite in last year's FF than Kentucky is this year. They were gritty, but not national championship caliber.

Reaction Score
As remote as the possibility may be, a giant sink hole emerging and swallowing up the arena ~ 10:00 pm Monday would be a net positive outcome (assuming Wiscy can't pull it off tonight).

I totally overlooked the potential for a natural disaster. You've given me hope.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I've always thought that Izzo was a little overrated for this reason. He's a great coach, obviously, easily a HOF, but I shake my head when I hear him lumped in with guys like Calhoun, Pitino, K, etc.

People will look at this result and say, "eh, Duke had way more talent." And that's true. But Izzo has also been badly out-coached in this game, and has been almost every time he's gone up against Roy or K.

Last season was the one time where it seemed they had as much talent as anyone and they blew it.

He was badly outcoached by KO last year too. I was expecting a lot more out of MSU last year and didn't see it. This year I have no idea what happened to MSU except that there was a lid on the basket on "O" for them all night long.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Refs are dooks 6th man right now. So fkin sad and obvious.
I respectfully disagree. MSU missed an awful lot of bunnies which ended up with points on the other end. Refs had NOTHING to do withy the outcome of this game.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Duke took 37 free throws. MSU took 16, half of those in the last few minutes when game was decided.
Refs had nothing to do with it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET