NCAA D1 Player of the Year Poll | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NCAA D1 Player of the Year Poll

Reaction Score
Sad to say, but I don't think Jewel is the answer for that team. I like her game but frankly I think Plum's accuracy, movement and efficiency is a better fit for Seattle. I also personally think Plum's game is nicer all around. Coach, the girl is nice.
I agree. I don't think Jewel has seen a shot she didn't like.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
YES, absolutely!!! Right now, this season, Plum is better than KLS. More points, more assists, more rebounds, more steals and means more to her team!

To JordyGs comments that Broadway has issues with, KLS has more upside and will be a better pro. KLS is my favorite player and she is just as much as deserving of all the accolades she is getting as Napheesa, Plum or Gabby. So if a tie exists between Plum and KLS, give it to Plum as the Senior.

These are all opinions on the site so mine is no more relevant than anyone else's given the logical support I present as long as a differeing opinion offers the same support of their view. In other words-don't just say my player is better! Show evidence. So my challenge to you is how is Plum less deserving given what I gave?
100% on you. Opinions are, opinions ain't. Glad to be a BY-er.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Gabby is averaging 5.3 assist a game along with 86 steals and 45 blocks this season.

Are you taking into account that Gabby is arguably the best defensive player this year. She can defend 1-5 in the paint and perimeter. Rebecca Lobo just mentioned her as the best defensive play in the country. She's scoring and rebounding against 6-5 A'ja Wilson and 6-4 Coates from SC, 6-5 Lang from Texas . . .

You should re-watch the UCONN/ Notre Dame or South Carolina games where Gabby DOMINATED. Great players on your list but I doubt they would be able to accomplish what Gabby does. So if a lesser named player can do all these things against top 10 teams and talent, then I would say she's an "All American".
My post had nothing to do with Gabby. It was solely about A'ja Wilson...

JordyG

Reaction Score
I agree. I don't think Jewel has seen a shot she didn't like.
Funny enough is every time I watch Plum, and I've seen her maybe 15x over the years, her game just gets nicer. Her scorers IQ is so far ahead of DD's (ugh) or K. Mitchell's. Plum has a nice change of pace with the ball, but Mitchell's cutting ability with pace while handling the ball is phenomenal. But again, she too is wild and a chucker.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Isn't it possible that instead of getting her teammates involved and allowing them better opportunities to score, she tried to win these games by herself and actually COST her team the wins.

No.

Your thoughts are purely speculative and maybe her team would be better if she WASN'T scoring at the level she was. If she's not allowing her teammates to get involved to the extent that they are getting better, maybe she's actually a detriment to the team. Everyone here knows that Samuelson could be scoring appreciably more than she does if she shot more but she's working WITHIN the team formula that has made UConn the envy of women's basketball.

How is that Plum assists more frequently and has a better assist/turnover ratio than Samuelson and yet somehow Plum's the one not getting her teammates involved?

The idea that Plum is "actually a detriment to the team" is ludicrous.

Extrapolating Samuelson's points/fga to Plum's number of shots still leaves her 91 points short of Plum's total. And your efficiency usually goes down with an increase in FGA. It's not merely that Plum scores more than Samuelson because she shoots more. She scores more AND more efficiently.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kaiz, I love ya. But I don't even think Lou, at this time, is the best player on the team. Pheese gets my vote. Some would say (rightfully) that Gabby is. But I also think as DefenseBB said, that Lou's upside is greater than Plum's. So is Pheese and Gabby's.
Jordy, you have your own opinions, other people have their own opinions.

We should respect both sides ....

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Isn't it possible that instead of getting her teammates involved and allowing them better opportunities to score, she tried to win these games by herself and actually COST her team the wins. I'm not sure that happened but I'm being the devils advocate. Your thoughts are purely speculative and maybe her team would be better if she WASN'T scoring at the level she was. If she's not allowing her teammates to get involved to the extent that they are getting better, maybe she's actually a detriment to the team. Everyone here knows that Samuelson could be scoring appreciably more than she does if she shot more but she's working WITHIN the team formula that has made UConn the envy of women's basketball.

I can understand if someone hasn't watched UW this year they might ask this question. It doesn't fit the reality of the situation though. Plum is very adept at the drive and kick game. At that point it's on her teammates to knock down shots. Some games they have, some games they haven't. Stanford is an extreme example but it illustrates the point quite clearly. Other than Plum, the UW starters were 2-26 from the floor. Let that sink in for a minute. The bench was a bit better, going 4-11. So combined, the team excluding Plum shot 6-37 that game. Plum was 17-27. If anything Plum should've taken MORE not less shots that game. That's the most drastic example, but there are other games where the other Huskies just haven't gotten it done and it's been up to Plum to carry them.

Utah was another fairly stark example. Plum was 19-28. Osahor was 5-11 and scored 14 but fouled out at the beginning of the 4th quarter. The other starters were 3-16 and none scored more than 5 points. Not much from the bench either. In that game, there were at least 5 or 6 times in the 2nd half alone when Plum drove and dished to a teammate for a wide open 3 and they missed every single one of them. Plum can set her teammates up, but she can't make the shot for them.

It seems to me that most games she starts out trying to get her teammates involved, then takes over as the game progresses. When the other Huskies are hitting some shots they are dangerous, when they aren't they are very beatable even when Plum is unstoppable.

Reaction Score
There are informed opinions and there are uninformed opinions. Uniformed opinions are worthless.
Thank you for your non-interest in UConn women's basketball as well as your uninformed views about acting....

JordyG

Reaction Score
Jordy, you have your own opinions, other people have their own opinions.

We should respect both sides ....
Katz with you it's never an argument. It's always a discussion.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Thank you for your non-interest in UConn women's basketball as well as your uninformed views about acting....

I don't know how "non-interest" gets into this, but, in any case, I think Wally East, NWhoopfan, Orangutan, and the other Plum defenders deserve better than this. I don't post a lot here (obviously) but read daily and have been a UCONN fan since the beginning of the Geno era (I grew up in Wethersfield) and an Oregon fan (where I live now) for almost as long as that. With Washington being Oregon's "Notre Dame" I certainly do not think of myself as a "homer" as far as the school to the north is concerned.

But what too many people in this thread have said about Plum is imo completely wrong and can only (I hope) be based on not having watched many of Washington's games this year. The Plum of her first years in the Pac12 may indeed have been akin to Ohio's Kelsey Mitchell. This year, however, she has been extraordinarily efficient and done everything possible to carry a team in which she only gets consistent help from one other player. There was a moment toward the end of the tournament game with Oregon in which she slid 10 ft across the floor to get to a loose ball which she then batted to a teammate for an easy layup. It was exactly the kind of play that UCONN fans expect (and see) all the time, but also the kind of thing Plum has been doing (in addition to the scoring) all season. Is her ceiling higher than, or even as high as, Katie Lou's or Napheesa's? Probably not. But she is a very fine player nevertheless and in my view an entirely appropriate choice for player of the year.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score

Oh, Kaizen. I don't even know why I bother responding to you. :rolleyes:

What's so hard to understand about the idea that uninformed opinions are worthless? If someone hasn't seen "Citizen Kane," how can they comment on it? If they do comment, the opinion is meaningless. What insight could they offer? They haven't seen the movie.

If someone never saw Kelsey Plum play, how can they compare the parts of the game that don't show up in box scores to another player's? If do offer an opinion on the comparison, the opinion isn't worth much. What insight could they offer about Plum? They haven't seen her play.

This isn't hard or new. Informed opinions are valuable. Uninformed opinions are not.

Reaction Score
I don't know how "non-interest" gets into this, but, in any case, I think Wally East, NWhoopfan, Orangutan, and the other Plum defenders deserve better than this. I don't post a lot here (obviously) but read daily and have been a UCONN fan since the beginning of the Geno era (I grew up in Wethersfield) and an Oregon fan (where I live now) for almost as long as that. With Washington being Oregon's "Notre Dame" I certainly do not think of myself as a "homer" as far as the school to the north is concerned.

But what too many people in this thread have said about Plum is imo completely wrong and can only (I hope) be based on not having watched many of Washington's games this year. The Plum of her first years in the Pac12 may indeed have been akin to Ohio's Kelsey Mitchell. This year, however, she has been extraordinarily efficient and done everything possible to carry a team in which she only gets consistent help from one other player. There was a moment toward the end of the tournament game with Oregon in which she slid 10 ft across the floor to get to a loose ball which she then batted to a teammate for an easy layup. It was exactly the kind of play that UCONN fans expect (and see) all the time, but also the kind of thing Plum has been doing (in addition to the scoring) all season. Is her ceiling higher than, or even as high as, Katie Lou's or Napheesa's? Probably not. But she is a very fine player nevertheless and in my view an entirely appropriate choice for player of the year.
johson, I have a house in Seattle and my 2 daughters went to UW.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
State per game normalized for 40 minutes, in case anyone was wondering:

stats.JPG

Plum plays about 37 min/game, while KLS and Fee play 31 and 30.

You could argue that the 6.5 difference in rebounds per 40 minutes makes up for 7 points. I'm not sure *I* would buy that but you could argue it. (On the other hand, there's the difference in a/g).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not a frequent poster here, more of viewer actually, but some of the posters here are totally biased. I've been a UConn fan since DT was a sophomore and I was 9 years old at the time. I would still choose Plum over Samuelson because she has been the better player this year; this is not about seniority. It's simply about who was better, you have to look at things like rebounds she's averaging 5.3, at 5,8 and Samuelson only gets 3.9 at 6'3. Those things matter. IMHO Gabby Williams deserves the award more than any other candidate because she's done everything, but she's being overlooked because she didn't score as much as the others. In the biggest games this year, you could "eye test" that she was doing everything possible and should be NPOY.

Reaction Score

Good post. In summary, Plum is a much better player this year than in prior seasons. In every way, including maturity and leadership. Even Osahor has said as much.

I might be remembering a different dive, slide, and batted-pass. Left side, foul line extended. She knocked it to Natalie Romeo in the corner who made a three, thanks to a friendly Celtic-like bounce high off the rim then back down through. It brought a standing O from the crowd.

Reaction Score
I'm not a frequent poster here, more of viewer actually, but some of the posters here are totally biased. I've been a UConn fan since DT was a sophomore and I was 9 years old at the time. I would still choose Plum over Samuelson because she has been the better player this year; this is not about seniority. It's simply about who was better, you have to look at things like rebounds she's averaging 5.3, at 5,8 and Samuelson only gets 3.9 at 6'3. Those things matter. IMHO Gabby Williams deserves the award more than any other candidate because she's done everything, but she's being overlooked because she didn't score as much as the others. In the biggest games this year, you could "eye test" that she was doing everything possible and should be NPOY.

I would still choose Plum, but agree with you about Williams. In choosing a UCONN player my order would be Williams, Collier, Samuelson. In a very close cadence. Best pro would be just as tough a call; I see them all having nice careers if that's what they want. As a matter of fact, If you took the UCONN Core-4 and added Plum, you could win a lot of WNBA championships.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm not sure. What are you going to do with Jewell Loyd?
Jewell and Plum would be the backcourt of the future, and having Plum learning behind Sue for a few years would likely extend Sue's career by lessening her burden in games. Jewell has struggled when Sue isn't on the court and is tasked with running the offense, and Plum, for all her scoring in college is a pretty good point guard - the scoring has become an essential aspect of her team because she is so good at it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
jonson - I agree with your post, for some reason we seem to be treating our guests to this board rather harshly the last couple of months. Not sure why, but it is not a change for the better.

As far as UConn players - I am a serious homer and love this year's team and will be disappointed if we don't get three players onto the 10 man first team AA. That said, I don't see any of them being NPOY this year:
Gabby - she has played some absolutely incredible games, the ND game being perhaps the most astonishing display, and if she were able to sustain that level in every game or even in most games, she would be a serious contender. But she doesn't. Her standard level is in my opinion still AA first team quality - if she hits that level consistently next year she will be a prime candidate for NPOY. Geno has said as much by the way, he talks of her drifting back to 'normal' rather than realizing she could do that every game. It is like her 15 foot jumper - she will go a few games talking and making it consistently, then miss an early one in a game and decide she shouldn't take any more, and it disappears for a few games. I agree with Lobo - her award this year should be DPOY.

Collier - she is just silky smooth and incredibly accurate. I think she too should be a first team AA, but in a strange way she is not an initiator on the team - she is the recipient of some amazing passes and does a really remarkable job of finding the spots to be available for them and to then finish the play. I sort of doubt that she will be a serious contender for NPOY in college, because she is not the leader and probably will not be - she doesn't have the authority of her predecessor in the undersized forward spot, Morgan.

Samuelson - the teams designated scorer and shooter extraordinaire. Again AA quality play, but just not dynamic and consistent enough yet to be a serious contender for NPOY. While people point to Gabby filling all the boxes in the stat sheet, and Collier scoring on pace with Lou and with incredible accuracy, Lou has taken on the role played by DT, and Maya, and Stewart - when she hits a few shots in the first quarter, you can just sense the whole team relax just a little bit - Lou is good to go, and we are going to be fine. When she struggles early, the team is a little on edge - they still figure out how to pick it up, and Lou figures out how to contribute in other ways until she finds her range, but it isn't as smooth an offensive game. And her perimeter play opens up everything inside for both Napheesa and Gabby. She has expanded her game this year and hopefully that continues through the next two years. Sky is the limit for her, but not this year.

Love these three players, but don't see any of them getting the individual award this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom