NCAA D1 Player of the Year Poll | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA D1 Player of the Year Poll

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Plum's great but she's also a bit like James Harden in the NBA. She always has the ball in her hands and was 7th in usage% last time I saw. Whereas Napheesa Collier is something like 187th, meaning she gets a lot accomplished while rarely having the ball. I suspect if Collier played for Washington her efficiency would be lower by a bit but her scoring and rebounding numbers would be astronomical because Washington would need them to be, just as they need Plum to dominate.

Reaction Score
Kaizen - she tied the men's NCAA record.
Plum is flirting with being a 180 player (50% field goal, 40% three, 90% FT) falling short only by a little with her FT percentage so she is not just a scorer but an incredibly efficient one, and she has more assists per game and more rebounds. She is not a world class defender but neither is Lou and the are both pretty decent. They are both highly intelligent basketball players, but Plum has a couple of more years of experience and I think she is the NPOY this year. Will Lou be a better player as a senior and when looking back on their respective careers, probably, but that is as much a accident of genetics giving Lou a long 6'3" body. And it gets down to questions like who is a better player Sue or Maya - they are both fantastic in very different packages.
Sorry, UcMiami, Lou dose not tie NCAA record. Her record is : 10-10 3pts in 28 mins not in 40 mins. (and she was allowed to play only 28 mins)

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Something to take into account from the stats and the nature of the play.
Plum took 241 F/T's this year, which is 3rd in the nation.
Getting to the FT line that often means you are fouled an awful lot of the time. Which means your body probably has more wear and tear than those that arent. Thus, with that stat, and to compile the overall stats she has, that shows she is much more than a scorer, but a very durable player.

By the way the leading UConn player with FT's taken is Collier with 117 followed by Lou with 110.

I love Lou, but Plum deserves it this year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I still don't get all the hype for Wilson. She's barely on my 2nd team AA, not anywhere close to discussion for NPOY. A prime example of a player who has all kinds of "hype and publicity", but has not performed nearly well enough if you really drill down into the results required for elite consideration.

Players off the top of my head who have played better and have better stats:

Kelsey Plum
KLS
Collier
Alexis Peterson
Kristin Anigwe
Tori Jankowska
Nia Coffey
Brionna Jones
Brittany Sykes
Taniya Page
Katija Laska
Asia Durr
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough
Lexi Brown

Wilson is not even in the top 50 in the nation in scoring average. I get it's not all about scoring, but if you look at the list of above players and their respective rebounds, or assists, or steals, etc etc, all of them have combined stats better than Wilson's. She was averaging close to 16 PPG for most of the year. I think she upped that and has come on strong lately, but let's face it - 17.7 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 59% FG%. Put those numbers on any other "lesser named" player and people would be like "All American? Umm No"...

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I still don't get all the hype for Wilson. She's barely on my 2nd team AA, not anywhere close to discussion for NPOY. A prime example of a player who has all kinds of "hype and publicity", but has not performed nearly well enough if you really drill down into the results required for elite consideration.

Kelsey Plum
KLS
Collier
Alexis Peterson
Kristin Anigwe
Tori Jankowska
Nia Coffey
Brionna Jones
Brittany Sykes
Taniya Page
Katija Laska
Asia Durr
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough
Lexi Brown

Wilson is not even in the top 50 in the nation in scoring average. I get it's not all about scoring, but if you look at the list of above players and their respective rebounds, or assists, or steals, etc etc, all of them have combined stats better than Wilson's. She was averaging close to 16 PPG for most of the year. I think she upped that and has come on strong lately, but let's face it - 17.7 PPG, 7.6 RPG, 59% FG%. Put those numbers on any other "lesser named" player and people would be like "All American? Umm No"...

I think a couple things weigh in Wilson's favor. First, she's unarguably the best player on a top-4 team, something the other top-4 teams don't really have. The other is that she's a returning All-American, and there's always a strong grandfathering tendency among voters.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sorry, UcMiami, Lou dose not tie NCAA record. Her record is : 10-10 3pts in 28 mins not in 40 mins. (and she was allowed to play only 28 mins)
And how many minutes did the guy play? She played a game of basketball and shot ten threes and made ten threes, they do not record the shots per minute in basketball games, only in three point shooting contests. She set a women's NCAA record for consecutive threes in a single game, and a volume/percentage record for threes in a game (previous being nine for nine. She tied the men's NCAA record and no man or woman in the NBA or WNBA has ever done it. It is possible that some HS kid of either gender has but who knows. I think Lou also holds the USA basketball record for consecutive threes and volume/percentage threes for either gender and any age group with her U16 8 for 8 outing - in that outing she was also perfect for the night as she only shot threes - no two pointers or foul shots. She does not (yet) own the UConn record for consecutive threes across games which belongs to CD2 over the space of three games.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I think KLS vs. Plum is the wrong argument. It should be Collier vs. Plum or even Gabby. I would be interested to see how the poll would have gone with Collier's name in the list.
I agree with you. For my money both Collier and Williams are better than KLS. Not that she is bad. She is very, very good. Just not as good as Collier and Williams. With KLS out of the lineup UCONN stills functions quite well. When Collier is out, I believe UCONN plays at a lower level. Same with Williams but to a lesser degree. They bring the total package. KLS has improved in all areas but is not on their level as the total player. These are my opinions and only opinions.

Reaction Score
With me if it's even close I go with the senior. Lou has 2 more years and a championship under her belt. College ball is where women get their hour in the sun. Let's let Plum enjoy hers.
So the award isn't about abilities ---it's about compassion and seniority?? Almost kidding here--but seriously, it is no award if the RIGHT player doesn't get it. In My less than humble opinion--Katie Lou is a better all around player/scorer than Plum. What makes a Player is all those things not in the stats --picks-seeing the play develop, noticing what the defense is doing , seeing what the offense is trying to do. Knowing your teammates faults and abilities and using them. To me everyone of the 5 starters know that better than Plum. Yes I think she a great scorer and will bring that to the WNBA and Europe--that's her reward--

Reaction Score
I hope you have other reasons.
Lou has 2 more years and a championship under her belt ==>those are not the good reasons not to select Katie Lou.
Since they won't allow players to join a union--then seniority should not count --if a freshman is the best player --she should be player of the year--throw away the seniority issue. If a top frosh or soph player should win the award--but breaks her leg the next year and cannot play--she was cheated out of what rightfully should have been hers.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="ericsandiego, post: 2086213, member: 26

Kelsey Plum
KLS
Collier
Alexis Peterson
Kristin Anigwe
Tori Jankowska
Nia Coffey
Brionna Jones
Brittany Sykes
Taniya Page
Katija Laska
Asia Durr
Shatori Walker-Kimbrough
Lexi Brown

IMO Tori Jankoska is a can't-miss WNBA player; tough, quick, good D, and a prolific scorer. She's about 5'8" tall and that might hurt her pro game a little but there's a lot of "small" women who do very well. Looking forward to watching her this summer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So the award isn't about abilities ---it's about compassion and seniority?? Almost kidding here--but seriously, it is no award if the RIGHT player doesn't get it. In My less than humble opinion--Katie Lou is a better all around player/scorer than Plum. What makes a Player is all those things not in the stats --picks-seeing the play develop, noticing what the defense is doing , seeing what the offense is trying to do. Knowing your teammates faults and abilities and using them. To me everyone of the 5 starters know that better than Plum. Yes I think she a great scorer and will bring that to the WNBA and Europe--that's her reward--

How many games have you watched Plum play this season?

Reaction Score
I repeat Lou is nice but youre kidding yourself if you truly think her skill set is better then Plum. Plums handles are better. Her stop and pop is nice and she is hard to guard being a lefty. I love Uconn but like I said before Plum ain't no one trick pony. I kinda think some of your opinions would be different if KP was with Uconn.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well I said if it's even close. For me it's not. Without Plum Washington, to me, is a mediocre team that would fail to make the NCAA's. Without KLS UConn is still very good although not a championship contender, but they get to go to Dallas. As Uc's post above clearly indicates with the numbers of her offensive skills and efficiency, Plum means more to that Washington team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The only problem i have with plum is what are her numbers against top 10 teams? We know they are affraid to play the best team in wcbb, but how do you think she would do against the best defense that uconn brings to games?

Reaction Score
With Katie Lou out of the lineup - you do realize she's played the most minutes - they would clog the paint, and it would be much more difficult for Napheesa and Gabby to score. Yes, UConn has other players that can shoot the 3, but none of them can light it up like Katie Lou did Monday night. Who else do the opponents grab and bump and push as much as Katie Lou when she's trying to cut? How many players do you know who played an entire half with a broken bone in their foot, and had it been up to Katie Lou, she would have finished the game and played in the NC, and who threw up on the sideline and came back on the court to be the leading scorer. They're all irreplaceable in their own way.

Reaction Score
Well I said if it's even close. For me it's not. Without Plum Washington, to me, is a mediocre team that would fail to make the NCAA's. Without KLS UConn is still very good although not a championship contender, but they get to go to Dallas. As Uc's post above clearly indicates with the numbers of her offensive skills and efficiency, Plum means more to that Washington team.
I completely agree--Plum and Osahor mean more to that team than a single player (of Katie Lou, Gabby, Naphesa, Saniya, Kia) means to Uconn , although in tight games I want all of them in it.
As far as those polled to obtain the award for Player of the Year--since I don't have the list of attributes they shall vote on--I can only present my opinion/desire for a Uconn kid to be selected--my belief is this whole team has won it.

Reaction Score
I repeat Lou is nice but youre kidding yourself if you truly think her skill set is better then Plum. Plums handles are better. Her stop and pop is nice and she is hard to guard being a lefty. I love Uconn but like I said before Plum ain't no one trick pony. I kinda think some of your opinions would be different if KP was with Uconn.

Have you noticed Lou's Stop and Pop--or catch and shoot?/ Lou presents to Uconn a player who knows the game, the defenses, does the picking needed, she does all those little things that never show up in the stats and with that fill up the stats with 3's made, points, assists, and a few rebound and steals---no Lou does not mean more to Uconn than Plum to Wash--so Lou's number will never be as large as STARS on other teams--rarely does a Uconn kid fill up the record books--Geno's method is to spread the wealth--when he has no choice, like when Maya played she filled the books--Geno wants all 5 working the game winning processes, thus no one player fills the stat sheets.
If Katie lou played for another coach in the USF game she would not have been stopped at 40--as hot as she was--60 and beyond was possible--but Geno thinks of the next game, or past record setters..

Reaction Score
The only problem i have with plum is what are her numbers against top 10 teams? We know they are affraid to play the best team in wcbb, but how do you think she would do against the best defense that uconn brings to games?

You know "they are afraid" to play UCONN? Is this insider information? Comments such as these drive me crazy, because they're total bullshit. End of discussion.

Reaction Score
Have you noticed Lou's Stop and Pop--or catch and shoot?/ Lou presents to Uconn a player who knows the game, the defenses, does the picking needed, she does all those little things that never show up in the stats and with that fill up the stats with 3's made, points, assists, and a few rebound and steals---no Lou does not mean more to Uconn than Plum to Wash--so Lou's number will never be as large as STARS on other teams--rarely does a Uconn kid fill up the record books--Geno's method is to spread the wealth--when he has no choice, like when Maya played she filled the books--Geno wants all 5 working the game winning processes, thus no one player fills the stat sheets.
If Katie lou played for another coach in the USF game she would not have been stopped at 40--as hot as she was--60 and beyond was possible--but Geno thinks of the next game, or past record setters..

You really need to take off your UCONN blinders. [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

You quite clearly haven't seen Plum play. At all. Literally nothing you say about her is true. Not one thing.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Oregon St., Stanford and UCLA all spent time in the top 10 this year. UW played all of those teams. Plum torched UCLA twice and Stanford once, the only team she struggled somewhat against was Oregon St.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Oregon St., Stanford and UCLA all spent time in the top 10 this year. UW played all of those teams. Plum torched UCLA twice and Stanford once, the only team she struggled somewhat against was Oregon St.

And they played at ND. No idea how she did in that game though.

Reaction Score
You really need to take off your UCONN blinders.
[ ]
There's a whole world out there that you're missing too ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom