NCAA approves Shepard ND waiver | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NCAA approves Shepard ND waiver

Reaction Score
Have you considered having a better football program?

Your avatar is befitting a comment like this...sad. :confused: Obviously not a ND grad or at least one they would be proud of. ;)
UConnCat covers the details above, not much more to say to such an ignorant comment. So much for the politeness of the silver spoon people.
Just in case you missed it....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Old Dude...you're absolutely spot on about the trouble Gabby caused for Shepard during the UConn-Nebraska game. One of the main benefits Ms. Shepard now has at ND is she is not the first and second option, time and again, for the offense, which allows a spectacular defender like Gabby to hone in on.
She'll be part of an overall offense that has other options. Who even knows if those two will match up this time around?
In any case, I look forward to the game and the match-ups that take place.
That explanation rings a little hollow because Gabby also beasted Brianna Turner last year who was also "part of an overall offense for ND" .

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Your avatar is befitting a comment like this...sad. :confused: Obviously not a ND grad or at least one they would be proud of. ;)
UConnCat covers the details above, not much more to say to such an ignorant comment. So much for the politeness of the silver spoon people.
Just in case you missed it....

It was a joke. Specifically a joke about the how the NCAA is warped by the influence of football and the revenue it produces.

The joke is -- Have a dominant football team and you too can get preferential treatment from the NCAA!

Clearly not a very good joke given that no one thought it was funny and three people took issue with it.

My personal rule for posting here is to never deliberately antagonize UConn fans. But occasionally one slips through as is the case with that post.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It was a joke. Specifically a joke about the how the NCAA is warped by the influence of football and the revenue it produces.

The joke is -- Have a dominant football team and you too can get preferential treatment from the NCAA!

Clearly not a very good joke given that no one thought it was funny and three people took issue with it.

My personal rule for posting here is to never deliberately antagonize UConn fans. But occasionally one slips through as is the case with that post.
Three might be a low estimate. :eek:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I got the joke. Not your best work, but the effort is always appreciated. For those that didn’t get it, next time I suggest attaching a smiley faced emoji...:)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
That explanation rings a little hollow because Gabby also beasted Brianna Turner last year who was also "part of an overall offense for ND" .

I distinctly remember giving credit where credit was due last year when UConn won, 72-61, in particular to Gabby and Napheesa Collier, who scored 20 points on 7 of 9 shooting in 29 minutes. Gabby had a solid game as well, with 19 points and 12 rebounds. I've attached the pdf of the stats for review.

However, I wouldn't say that Gabby "beasted" Brianna per se, who led the Irish with 16 points (on 7 of 14 shooting) and 12 rebounds as well.

What Gabby and her teammates did very well last year was shut down everyone besides Turner and Lindsay Allen, in particular Mabrey and Ogunbowale. I distinctly remember GW swatting away some drives from the weakside.

So, Coco, if your're going to strut, get it right: she beasted most of the team. Hrrumph.:mad::rolleyes:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2016-17/box_score/stats_20161208aaa.pdf

BTW, since Turner or Allen isn't here this year, this could either be one of those"OMG" events for the Irish or a fresh (re) start. I'll go with the latter until a later date. ;)

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
No doubt that’s true, but without Turner in the middle, I suspect that the Huskies will dominate in the paint at both ends of the court when the Irish pay a visit to the Nutmeg state this season.

Based on last year's game and statistics (see my reply to Coco), you could very well be right, particularly if Ms. Westbeld does not return from her injury as quickly as needed (for that game). However, we got a nice performance from our 6'3" (but looks taller) frosh center, Mik Vaughn, in an exhibition yesterday (30 points). Like your exhibition, it was against a team that shouldn't of been there, but she looked good. We'll see how that plays out in the first few games. Look forward to the match-up!:)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
BT crying.jpg

Gabby making Brianna Turner cry.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Unfortunately, UConn fans don't have much of a sense of humor when it comes to football, particularly coming from a Notre Dame fan. Fans here wish the fraud in the cranberry pants had never left South Bend.

Reaction Score
Wow this thread got excessively lengthy when you consider that she won’t make much of a difference against UCONN.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, UConn fans don't have much of a sense of humor when it comes to football, particularly coming from a Notre Dame fan. Fans here wish the fraud in the cranberry pants had never left South Bend.
Whenever a ND fan brings up the subject of football, all you have to do is bring up the subject of fake girlfriends—all in good fun, of course.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

For quite some time, Irish fans probably agreed with you. As you (probably) recall, Diaco arrived in South Bend in 2010 with Brian Kelly. When Diaco was defensive coordinator in 2012, Notre Dame finished the year ranked 2nd in points per game (12.8) and he was awarded the Broyles Award, which recognizes the top assistant coach in collegiate D1 Football. He probably should've stayed there for all concerned in Connecticut ... and Indiana.

When Diaco left, he was replaced by another friend of Kelly, Brian Van Gorder, who set new lows in how to approach coaching defense at a collegiate level. He was fired halfway through last season. And it looks like Diaco and his red pants are not going to last much beyond this season at Nebraska, where the Cornhuskers are not exactly ripping it up.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Let's have a little fun!

ND trade Diaco, via UConn, to Nebraska for Sheppard. Not sure either got a good deal.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

I didn't read your original reply to my post until today. When I did, I too was offended and ready to reply ala Cat and Woof . Glad I held off to read the post above, thanks for the clarification, it does fit your boneyard personality. I've never seen you deliberately offensive before. ;)

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score

like time 1,000

Reaction Score
NCAA Approves Shepard’s Waiver

"The NCAA announced on Wednesday that it has approved the University of Notre Dame’s waiver of junior transfer Jessica Shepard, making the former two-time All-Big Ten and Nebraska forward eligible effective Nov."

I think is setting a low water mark for making transfers immediately eligible to play which appears to be the direction the NCAA maybe heading. Thoughts?
Sounds like you are saying:

You are better informed than I in Transfers so I ask you in round numbers how many Women BB div 1 have been granted waivers--approx.
Unfortunate for me I was born with the "fairness/equality" gene---I am saying that if one is granted a waiver--dump the waiver system. I know the apparent issues for coaches; they can learn to live with it. The numbers could ramp up so what? I detest any system that you must go before a board and argue what the board already knew before you arrived. If kids, and these 17 to 22 year old players (some legally adults) are kids playing a game don't see fairness in sports, where then? Fairness rarely lifts its ugly head in the real world--let it be fair in the sports these kids play. I know the answer, but I can hope.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are better informed than I in Transfers so I ask you in round numbers how many Women BB div 1 have been granted waivers--approx.
Unfortunate for me I was born with the "fairness/equality" gene---I am saying that if one is granted a waiver--dump the waiver system. I know the apparent issues for coaches; they can learn to live with it. The numbers could ramp up so what? I detest any system that you must go before a board and argue what the board already knew before you arrived. If kids, and these 17 to 22 year old players (some legally adults) are kids playing a game don't see fairness in sports, where then? Fairness rarely lifts its ugly head in the real world--let it be fair in the sports these kids play. I know the answer, but I can hope.
Off the top of my head:
  1. Leticia Romero from KSU to FSU
  2. Lubirdia Gordon from WVU to Seton Hall
  3. Chatrice White from Illinois to FSU
  4. Jessica Shepard from Nebraska to ND
I think the writing is is on the wall for the NCAA and immediate eligibility will become a reality for all NCAA sports with the possible exceptions of Football, and Men's basketball in the very near future- like Fall 2018.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Off the top of my head:
  1. Leticia Romero from KSU to FSU
  2. Lubirdia Gordon from WVU to Seton Hall
  3. Chatrice White from Illinois to FSU
  4. Jessica Shepard from Nebraska to ND
I think the writing is is on the wall for the NCAA and immediate eligibility will become a reality for all NCAA sports with the possible exceptions of Football, and Men's basketball in the very near future- like Fall 2018.

5. Natalie Romeo from Nebraska to Washington

Reaction Score
Just to get back to the OP...came across an article, was mostly about Tulane of the AAC, but the headline caught my eyes;

Can we talk about changing transfer rules, cutting scholarship totals in women's college basketball? And, oh, yeah, UConn is still elite.

The writer, talking about transfers wrote this following paragraph;

However, Notre Dame, a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference, also is a top team with the help of Jessica Shepard, a power forward who transferred from Nebraska without having to sit out. Notre Dame was given a waiver because it had seven scholarship players healthy.

Can we talk about changing transfer rules, cutting scholarship totals in women's college basketball? And, oh, yeah, UConn is still elite.

Disclaimer: if this info was discussed somewhere in this thread, I didn't go through all of them, and I assume this info was not mentioned before.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
However, Notre Dame, a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference, also is a top team with the help of Jessica Shepard, a power forward who transferred from Nebraska without having to sit out. Notre Dame was given a waiver because it had seven scholarship players healthy.

This would not surprise me since Shepard not having to sit out held no merit on its own and it was just a sympathy move for Notre Dame. But the article doesn't say if it's the author's opinion or there is something to document that statement.

Duke is always shorthanded, but Lexie Brown still sat out a year. There needs to be a consistency in these decisions.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just to get back to the OP...came across an article, was mostly about Tulane of the AAC, but the headline caught my eyes;

The writer, talking about transfers wrote this following paragraph;

Disclaimer: if this info was discussed somewhere in this thread, I didn't go through all of them, and I assume this info was not mentioned before.
I don't remember this particular article being discussed here but the subject matter has been appropriately in separate threads. I’m not sure if there is a correlation between transfer rates, the WCBB scholarship limits, and UCONN’s dominance in WCBB. The analysis and facts presented in this particular article is also very shallow. For example: “Stockton said she thinks an answer is to cut women's basketball scholarships from 15 to 13. That, she said, would prevent coaches in the Power 5 conferences from stockpiling talent”. Stockton is not correct. Here are the facts:

· There are 65 Power 5 schools

· Among the 65 Power 5 schools only 16 (Wisconsin, Michigan State, Northwestern, Minnesota, Rutgers, Louisville, Syracuse, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Washington, Oregon, Arizona, Oklahoma, West Virginia, & Kansas) were at the scholarship limit (15) for the 2016-17 WCBB season.

· The number of SEC schools (home of the defending National Champions and the conference of the team which defeated UCONN-MSU) operating at the scholarship limit=ZERO

Sarcastic Conclusion: If any of these P5 schools really stockpiled talent for the 2016-17 season that was a really really dumb move.

So much for the stockpiling talent argument. Decreasing the scholarship limit for WCBB is a very worthwhile discussion (well maybe? ). However, if you reduce the WCBB limit to a level at which most schools are currently operating, what have you really accomplished?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
When I heard Shepard was given the waiver, I assumed it had something to do with issues at Nebraska not Notre Dame (I do realize that the timing suggested that may not of been the case, but I naïvely found it hard to believe that Notre Dame would be given special preference).

Do we know if the report of the claims it was because they only had seven healthy players knows this for sure?

I could be open to some sympathy if a team had the full complement of 15 players on the roster and due to some freakish circumstances had eight injured players and were down to only seven active players. Seven is enough, although not much room for error so I'm not even sure that I would find that compelling but I'd be open to some sympathy. However, that's not the case. I believe Notre Dame has only 13 players on the roster so they've chosen to go with two few than permitted. That's something Geno typically does but that's a coaches decision, and if it doesn't work out due to injuries is the NCAA supposed to bail them out?

In addition, I see 11 Notre Dame players who have appeared in a game this year. Obviously, one a Shepherd but that leaves 10 players who managed to play. If there were only seven players healthy at the time of the decision it means some of those injury issues were short-term in nature. I believe one was Westbeld who's managed to play in 12 of the 13 games and start seven. Did several players miraculously recover?

Graduate students such as Lili Thompson can play immediately. Were there no graduate students with eligibility left the country? I understand that probably weren't any with Shepherd skills but that's shouldn't be the issue.

I'm open to hearing that I'm missing something but so far this sounds fishy.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While it’s clear there’s something fishy in Shepard’s eligibility at ND this year (Even Dawn Staley, whose had her share of transfers at SC, was miffed by the decision), at the end of the day, I don’t really care.

UConn beat ND with Shepard at the XL Center. If UConn faces ND in the tournament they’ll beat them again, and next season, even if Turner is back healthy alongside Shepard, UConn will beat ND yet again. End of story....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When I heard Shepard was given the waiver, I assumed it had something to do with issues at Nebraska not Notre Dame (I do realize that the timing suggested that may not of been the case, but I naïvely found it hard to believe that Notre Dame would be given special preference).

Do we know if the report of the claims it was because they only had seven healthy players knows this for sure?

I could be open to some sympathy if a team had the full complement of 15 players on the roster and due to some freakish circumstances had eight injured players and were down to only seven active players. Seven is enough, although not much room for error so I'm not even sure that I would find that compelling but I'd be open to some sympathy. However, that's not the case. I believe Notre Dame has only 13 players on the roster so they've chosen to go with two few than permitted. That's something Geno typically does but that's a coaches decision, and if it doesn't work out due to injuries is the NCAA supposed to bail them out?

In addition, I see 11 Notre Dame players who have appeared in a game this year. Obviously, one a Shepherd but that leaves 10 players who managed to play. If there were only seven players healthy at the time of the decision it means some of those injury issues were short-term in nature. I believe one was Westbeld who's managed to play in 12 of the 13 games and start seven. Did several players miraculously recover?

Graduate students such as Lili Thompson can play immediately. Were there no graduate students with eligibility left the country? I understand that probably weren't any with Shepherd skills but that's shouldn't be the issue.

I'm open to hearing that I'm missing something but so far this sounds fishy.

Sequence of events:
  • 5 September 2017 ND announces Brianna Turner to miss the entire season
  • Sept ??? 2017 ND announcement of ND waiver request for Shepard.
  • 25 October 2017 Mychal Johnson injuried.
  • 1 November 2017 NCAA makes Shepard eligible.
  • 30 November 2017 Mikayla Vaughn injury.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While it’s clear there’s something fishy in Shepard’s eligibility at ND this year (Even Dawn Staley, whose had her share of transfers at SC, was miffed by the decision), at the end of the day, I don’t really care.
UConn beat ND with Shepard at the XL Center. If UConn faces ND in the tournament they’ll beat them again, and next season, even if Turner is back healthy alongside Shepard, UConn will beat ND yet again. End of story....
I think what people are asking for and will probably never get from the NCAA is a little bit of consistency. If "Waivers for Everyone!" ( stolen from @UConnCat) is to be the NCAA policy, I sure would have liked for Azura and Batouly to have been eligible for UCONN last year. I personally deplore the policy of multiple ND players having to get hurt for the NCAA to show sympathy. Do you think Shepard would have been declared eligible if she had transferred to UCONN?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom