NCAA approves Shepard ND waiver | The Boneyard

NCAA approves Shepard ND waiver

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
NCAA Approves Shepard’s Waiver

"The NCAA announced on Wednesday that it has approved the University of Notre Dame’s waiver of junior transfer Jessica Shepard, making the former two-time All-Big Ten and Nebraska forward eligible effective Nov."

I think is setting a low water mark for making transfers immediately eligible to play which appears to be the direction the NCAA maybe heading. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I'm thinking that SC application for Cooper waiver will get favorable consideration. Currently, that will be a December submission, per Dawn.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
*NCAA Saves Notre Dame's 2017-2018 Season*

Fixed that for you...;)

This certainly makes me breathe easier. I though they could make a go of it without her but having a post player who is a) good b) experienced and c) healthy is a huge boost.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm thinking that SC application for Cooper waiver will get favorable consideration. Currently, that will be a December submission, per Dawn.
Really? did not realize that SC was going to submit a waiver for Cooper.

Reaction Score
Coco, I believe her case is based on the possibility of Cooper losing a year of eligibility, having sat last year due to injury and potentially this year , per transfer rules.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

"The NCAA announced on Wednesday that it has approved the University of Notre Dame’s waiver of junior transfer Jessica Shepard, making the former two-time All-Big Ten and Nebraska forward eligible effective Nov."

I think is setting a low water mark for making transfers immediately eligible to play which appears to be the direction the NCAA maybe heading. Thoughts?

Then why did the NCAA deny the petition of NC State's Braxton Beverly? That decision is a travesty and rightly criticized.

Who knows what the NCAA is doing. If Shepard gets to play then every transfer should get to play. Geno should have urged Azura to apply last year. Too bad; he should have been more creative.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Then why did the NCAA deny the petition of NC State's Braxton Beverly? That decision is a travesty and rightly criticized.

Who knows what the NCAA is doing. If Shepard gets to play then every transfer should get to play. Geno should have urged Azura to apply last year. Too bad; he should have been more creative.
I think you kind of answered your own question. This is the NCAA! SC apparently has a waiver in for Cooper also.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

tenor2.gif

what a load of crap. What was the hardship? ND not having a legit PF/C ? :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
From the South Bend Trib today: "A native of Fremont, Neb., Shepard said she made the waiver request for “personal reasons.”

I wonder if the reason was "Personally, I really want to play!" :D

Since we are guests here... Imma be nice :rolleyes:

I'll go to my home board and vent and talk trash :mad::mad::mad::mad: :cool:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I don't like. What makes one player's sob story more worthy than another's? I believe Leticia Romeroa and Chatrice White at FSU were also granted waivers.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I expect this thread to fill up once the UCONN game is over :p

In retrospect.... I guess Lexie Brown should have applied for a waiver..... Duke sure needed a veteran PG in 2015-16.... instead of relying on 2 freshman. Diamond Deshields could have underachieved at Tenn a year earlier if she had applied for a waiver.... Im sure their are many other examples.

Agree.

Good to see you back to Coke Loraine :confused:

I guess once the season officially starts..... maybe I'll go back to Duke related pics.... perhaps

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I expect this thread to fill up once the UCONN game is over :p

In retrospect.... I guess Lexie Brown should have applied for a waiver..... Duke sure needed a veteran PG in 2015-16.... instead of relying on 2 freshman. Diamond Deshields could have underachieved at Tenn a year earlier if she had applied for a waiver.... Im sure their are many other examples.

I guess once the season officially starts..... maybe I'll go back to Duke related pics.... perhaps
Please don't!

Reaction Score

“I had no issue with Nebraska,” Shepard said. “Ultimately it came down to what I wanted to accomplish in college and the next level. Nebraska just wasn’t the place to get me there.”

Reactions: HGN

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
IIRC Romeo didn't have to sit out a year after transferring from Nebraska to Washington, although I think they did have to wait til the 11th hour to find out if she would be eligible. Maybe it's just a Nebraska thing. Although Chandler Smith did sit out a year after transferring from Nebraska after the '14-'15 season to Gonzaga.

Slocum should have requested a waiver after transferring from Maryland to Oregon St. Her stated reason for a waiver could have been "the Beavers really need a replacement for Wiese this year."

Reaction Score
Based on Sheppard's quote, there was no reason to grant the waiver. The NCAA strikes again.

Sheppard will fill a hole that ND has but I was not impressed with her play at Nebraska. She is not a game changer.
I saw her play in HS. She was skilled, but seemed to be effective mainly because she was bigger than everybody else. I thought she was poorly conditioned and sluggish, and she still appeared that way on TV last couple years at Nebraska. Not convinced she’s really a ND-caliber player. We’ll see I guess - soon!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom