NCAA approves Shepard ND waiver | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA approves Shepard ND waiver

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Oh Wilson is going to be sitting out, bet the farm on that. Especially since St. Johns believes there was tampering.

Wilson will sit out for the same reason Beverly has to sit out. Beverly's case appears to be stronger -- Matta getting fired -- but there's no way the NCAA can approve Wilson's request now after the heat it is taking for the Beverly decision.

HGN

Reaction Score
Sounds like you are saying:
Coco , I guess that is what I am saying............It's either that are the NCAA will get peppered with lawsuits or legal inquiries
asking " Why Not ? You did it for______. (fill in the blank)

I don't know why Shepard was granted the waiver and others in the past have been Denied , but it opens Pandora's Box AND a can of worms.
And this Can of Worms is not just confined to WCBB.........But these worms will wiggle themselves over to the Men's side as well.

HGN

Reaction Score
Sounds like you are saying:
Coco , I guess that is what I am saying............It's either that are the NCAA will get peppered with lawsuits or legal inquiries
asking " Why Not ? You did it for______. (fill in the blank)

I don't know why Shepard was granted the waiver and others in the past have been Denied , but it opens Pandora's Box AND a can of worms.
And this Can of Worms is not just confined to WCBB.........But these worms will wiggle themselves over to the Men's side as well.

Reaction Score
Then why did the NCAA deny the petition of NC State's Braxton Beverly? That decision is a travesty and rightly criticized.

Who knows what the NCAA is doing. If Shepard gets to play then every transfer should get to play. Geno should have urged Azura to apply last year. Too bad; he should have been more creative.
It was Z's decision not to apply last year; she didn't want to open wounds stemming from the less-than-great ending at Duke

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

South Carolina was going to apply but then decided to wait until Cooper has a semester of residency. SC delayed it, NOT the NCAA.... but by then they lose the benefit of striking while the iron is hot (right after the Shepard decision)... how would the NCAA look allowing Shepard but immediately turning around and denying Cooper? I could see this backfiring on SC.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Well you might want to check out a Nebraska board...
I did look at one board. I don't think relieved would be the word. Mostly they just sound bitter, kinda like jilted brides, understandably.

I feel for their fan base. The Huskers really turn out for their women's sports. The perennial powerhouse women's volleyball team leads the nation in attendance, and would lead it by even more if they had a bigger arena. It's sad to see that a program that just a few years ago took an undefeated record into its conference tournament could fall so far so fast.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This was the first thing I thought about when I heard the news. If anyone deserved a waiver it was this kid. (for taking summer classes for crying out loud). I think this opens the door for more sob story transfers.

Indeed. Every now and again the NCAA is given an opportunity to, in the immortal words of Joseph Heller, "rise above principle and do the right thing." In the Braxton case the NCAA failed again.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So Dawn is now publicly negotiating with the NCAA. I'll wait and ask for 1/2 a loaf and hope that works. You're either entitled to a waiver or not.

I never really had strong feelings about the transfer rules but now I'm on board with immediate eligibility across the board. The waiver process lacks transparency and gives rise to questionable decisions and accusations of favoritism.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lot of criticism of the NCAA here, and rightfully so, but keep in mind that the NCAA is exactly what member institutions want and allow it to be. So if the NCAA is fickle, plays favorites and applies rules inconsistently, it is exactly what ND, SC, UNC and the vast majority of its members want.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Lot of criticism of the NCAA here, and rightfully so, but keep in mind that the NCAA is exactly what member institutions want and allow it to be. So if the NCAA is fickle, plays favorites and applies rules inconsistently, it is exactly what ND, SC, UNC and the vast majority of its members want.

If I may suggest, change "the vast majority of its members" to "the vast majority of the privileged, elite, members". We are not part of that group.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If I may suggest, change "the vast majority of its members" to "the vast majority of the privileged, elite, members". We are not part of that group.
Yes, I was really talking about P-5 schools. Everyone else is just hoping for the table scraps that are thrown their way.

Reaction Score
Wow..I guess that quote says it all. If you decide that , you the player , made a bad initial choice you can just push the RE-DUE button and go someplace else.
It's going to be interesting to see when , and to whom , the NCAA ever denies a transfer waiver request again.

It's most likely the same rationale
for transferring that Stevens had, but Stevens sat a year.

Either the NCAA doesn't really do enough research to get these things right or they didn't really care and it was about helping out ND with their injury situation. Anybody know for sure? Most egregious approval that I'm aware of.

Plebe

Reaction Score
IIRC Romeo didn't have to sit out a year after transferring from Nebraska to Washington, although I think they did have to wait til the 11th hour to find out if she would be eligible. Maybe it's just a Nebraska thing. Although Chandler Smith did sit out a year after transferring from Nebraska after the '14-'15 season to Gonzaga.

Slocum should have requested a waiver after transferring from Maryland to Oregon St. Her stated reason for a waiver could have been "the Beavers really need a replacement for Wiese this year."

Nebraska, at the time Romeo transferred, had just gone through the turmoil of the accusations of abusive treatment against Connie Yori and her forced resignation. I suspect (though I don't know for sure) that the NCAA is more lenient on transfer requests when there's been a coaching change. I can't help but wonder if Shepard's waiver request, though one year removed from Yori's departure, was viewed through this lens.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Have you considered having a better football program?
Yeah, clearly that's what got Boston College into the P5 cartel.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
It's most likely the same rationale
for transferring that Stevens had, but Stevens sat a year.

Either the NCAA doesn't really do enough research to get these things right or they didn't really care and it was about helping out ND with their injury situation. Anybody know for sure? Most egregious approval that I'm aware of.

We don't know what was in her waiver request. She said it was "personal reasons". I could imagine certain situations that might justify a waiver but she would not want to make public.

I just don't know how you can say it's "egregious" when you don't know what was in the request.

They did enough research that they made ND submit a second round of paperwork before making the final decision.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yeah, clearly that's what got Boston College into the P5 cartel.

Naw, that was a Catholic conspiracy (and the Boston media market)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

UConn did consider having a better football program. In fact, the UConn football program was once pretty good. It was good enough to beat a certain team in a certain stadium in a certain small town in northwest Indiana. Then, after appearing in the Fiesta Bowl, UConn's coach left for a new job. Unfortunately, two UConn Athletic Directors made bad hiring decisions, the worst of which was to hire a clown who wore red pants and formerly coached at Notre Dame. UConn is in the midst of recovering from the Diaco Debacle and who knows if it ever will. Thanks for asking!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Notre Dame still won't beat UConn, especially with Shepard, she disappears against UConn. Good luck Muffet....keep relying on your 1 to 3 players, and your transfers (Arike, Marina, Jackie, LiLi and Shepard).
The good news for ND is that Shepard is eligible to play this year. The bad news is that she will have another opportunity to match up with Gabby who held her to 1 for 13 shooting last season in Lincoln.

Reaction Score
We would, but killing kids video taping practice in high winds, letting players rape women at other schools, and inventing fake girlfriends w/can-cer just isn't our thing.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Nebraska, at the time Romeo transferred, had just gone through the turmoil of the accusations of abusive treatment against Connie Yori and her forced resignation. I suspect (though I don't know for sure) that the NCAA is more lenient on transfer requests when there's been a coaching change. I can't help but wonder if Shepard's waiver request, though one year removed from Yori's departure, was viewed through this lens.

Plebe: I'm pretty much thinking the same way, although I might refer to it as "program uncertainty." In the case of Nebraska, you had the Yori "resignation," which resulted in Romeo transferring immediately, two top recruits de-committing and going elsewhere (Cal and Iowa, if memory serves correct) and then Shepard leaving, after playing for the new coach for one year.

Chatrice White left Illinois following a season after now-departed Matt Bollant's program was hit with racial discrimination charges and lawsuits. Other players had left the program and White was clearly the best player (left) in the program.

Still, her father told the Chicago Tribune that "...she had no negative experience at Illinois but is seeking a program in which she can develop her skills further and find more team success."
That sounds similar to what Ms. Shepard has publicly said.

Romeo, White and Shepard all have these unstable situations in common and the NCAA does check back with the school the players transferred from, so Nebraska and Illinois weighed in on these petitions. Outside of that, the particulars are private...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The good news for ND is that Shepard is eligible to play this year. The bad news is that she will have another opportunity to match up with Gabby who held her to 1 for 13 shooting last season in Lincoln.

Old Dude...you're absolutely spot on about the trouble Gabby caused for Shepard during the UConn-Nebraska game. One of the main benefits Ms. Shepard now has at ND is she is not the first and second option, time and again, for the offense, which allows a spectacular defender like Gabby to hone in on.

She'll be part of an overall offense that has other options. Who even knows if those two will match up this time around?

In any case, I look forward to the game and the match-ups that take place.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Old Dude...you're absolutely spot on about the trouble Gabby caused for Shepard during the UConn-Nebraska game. One of the main benefits Ms. Shepard now has at ND is she is not the first and second option, time and again, for the offense, which allows a spectacular defender like Gabby to hone in on.

She'll be part of an overall offense that has other options. Who even knows if those two will match up this time around?

In any case, I look forward to the game and the match-ups that take place.
No doubt that’s true, but without Turner in the middle, I suspect that the Huskies will dominate in the paint at both ends of the court when the Irish pay a visit to the Nutmeg state this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom