NCAA approves Shepard ND waiver | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA approves Shepard ND waiver

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I saw her play in HS. She was skilled, but seemed to be effective mainly because she was bigger than everybody else. I thought she was poorly conditioned and sluggish, and she still appeared that way on TV last couple years at Nebraska. Not convinced she’s really a ND-caliber player. We’ll see I guess - soon!

She'll do well in Muffet's half-court offense. She has skill but is not exactly a beast in the paint and doesn't get up and down the court well. She was pretty bad against UConn last year. I'm sure her fitness is better now but she still likely has a ways to go.

Reaction Score
I'm so fine with this. There's no reason athletes shouldn't be able to transfer without penalty, just like any other student.

other students are not on scholarship, and colleges did not spend $$$ (and years) recruiting them. If transfers were eligible immediately the numbers would skyrocket . And coaches would not have a chance to develop players.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Smiles abound in South Bend. It's hard to be opposed to this decision in light of Turner's injury, although that of course couldn't be the rationale. I always find myself wishing that some explanation were offered for the NCAA's decision on waiver requests.

Shepard's situation was a bit unusual in that she, unlike Natalie Romeo, didn't leave Nebraska after Connie Yori was fired and gave the new coaching staff a chance. But she presumably didn't find the new situation to her liking, and off to greener pastures she went. It'll be fascinating to see how she does with her new team.

Notre Dame has completed a de facto multiparty trade with the Pac-12 and Big Ten, shipping out Boley and Patberg and bringing in Thompson and Shepard.

Reaction Score
Smiles abound in South Bend. It's hard to be opposed to this decision in light of Turner's injury, although that of course couldn't be the rationale. I always find myself wishing that some explanation were offered for the NCAA's decision on waiver requests.

Shepard's situation was a bit unusual in that she, unlike Natalie Romeo, didn't leave Nebraska after Connie Yori was fired and gave the new coaching staff a chance. But she presumably didn't find the new situation to her liking, and off to greener pastures she went. It'll be fascinating to see how she does with her new team.

Notre Dame has completed a de facto multiparty trade with the Pac-12 and Big Ten, shipping out Boley and Patberg and bringing in Thompson and Shepard.

Meanwhile over in husker territory there's a general feeling of relief that she's gone. Watching clips of her on yourtube she's a monster going against smaller players but she didn't seem like much of a threat when we played her.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Meanwhile over in husker territory there's a general feeling of relief that she's gone. Watching clips of her on yourtube she's a monster going against smaller players but she didn't seem like much of a threat when we played her.

Relief? I kinda doubt it. She averaged 18.6 ppg and 9.8 rpg, more than twice the points and almost twice the rebounds of anyone else on the team. Performance against UConn is not really a good yardstick in this sense because UConn is great at shutting down a team's best player.

Reaction Score
The major problem with the NCAA and other organizations like them ( high school ) is that their is no one they are accountable to. I mean who overseas them? They have all this power that they basically gave to themselves. Individual schools have no one to appeal to other than to the organization that makes the initial ruling.

I was really hoping that the football landscape would have evolved into basically 4 major power conferences who would then have had the power to create their own National playoff system there by cutting out the NCAA financially and stripping them of their power. It is purely by their ability to control who gets into the bowl games and other play offs that gives the NCAA its power. If you cross them you are eliminated from the money windfall that is generated by those bowl games and playoffs.

The main reason that the NCAA makes rulings based on which school they are dealing with is basically linked to money as well. They are not going to bite the hand that feeds them. Anyone who believes their rulings are based on unbiased ethics is deluding themselves.

As another poster mentioned- It would be nice if they gave an explanation for their rulings. As it is now they are an oligarchy accountable to no one.

Reaction Score
No one at the NCAA knows all the rules written in the hundreds of books containing their rules!
There are committee chairs responsible for their own rule book!
It's an archaic organization that does things totally unexplained.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Relief? I kinda doubt it. She averaged 18.6 ppg and 9.8 rpg, more than twice the points and almost twice the rebounds of anyone else on the team. Performance against UConn is not really a good yardstick in this sense because UConn is great at shutting down a team's best player.

Well you might want to check out a Nebraska board...

HGN

Reaction Score
“I had no issue with Nebraska,” Shepard said. “Ultimately it came down to what I wanted to accomplish in college and the next level. Nebraska just wasn’t the place to get me there.”
Wow............I guess that quote says it all. If you decide that , you the player , made a bad initial choice you can just push the RE-DUE button and go someplace else.
It's going to be interesting to see when , and to whom , the NCAA ever denies a transfer waiver request again.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wow..I guess that quote says it all. If you decide that , you the player , made a bad initial choice you can just push the RE-DUE button and go someplace else.
It's going to be interesting to see when , and to whom , the NCAA ever denies a transfer waiver request again.
Sounds like you are saying:

Waivers for everyone!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was going to say, there are not a lot of players (ahem, Morgan William) who do look good against UCONN.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
My take is transfers should get to play immediately.

My other take is that the NCAA is a self-serving, hypocritical piece of bureaucratic crap, but hey, what do I know.
Meanwhile UConn is waiting for clearance for a men's basketball player who committed to St. Johns, attended a summer school class there, decided it wasn't the best choice and left before ever playing a game. How much do want to bet he sits for a year, while a player who decided played for a school for two years gets to play right away?

Consistency is the issue.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile UConn is waiting for clearance for a men's basketball player who committed to St. Johns, attended a summer school class there, decided it wasn't the best choice and left before ever playing a game. How much do want to bet he sits for a year, while a player who decided played for a school for two years gets to play right away?

Consistency is the issue.
Oh Wilson is going to be sitting out, bet the farm on that. Especially since St. Johns believes there was tampering.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Then why did the NCAA deny the petition of NC State's Braxton Beverly? That decision is a travesty and rightly criticized.

Who knows what the NCAA is doing. If Shepard gets to play then every transfer should get to play. Geno should have urged Azura to apply last year. Too bad; he should have been more creative.

Because the NCAA really doesn't like Uconn. Specifically Emmert. There are 2 sets of rules. One set for UNC and the like, another set for Uconn and the other schools not in the privileged elite.

Reaction Score
Then why did the NCAA deny the petition of NC State's Braxton Beverly? That decision is a travesty and rightly criticized.

This was the first thing I thought about when I heard the news. If anyone deserved a waiver it was this kid. (for taking summer classes for crying out loud). I think this opens the door for more sob story transfers.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Maybe Oregon should get Boley eligible immediately after she transferred from Notre Dame. Just for poetic justice.

Exactly. Boley's reasons for transferring were personal as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom