NCAA announcing UNC penalties on Friday | Page 7 | The Boneyard

NCAA announcing UNC penalties on Friday

pj

Reaction Score
Was there ever a reasonable explanation as to what happened here?

NCAA: "We'll be releasing our penalties on Friday."
UNC: "Nah."

My guess: NCAA showed UNC (with 24 hours advance notice as required) the penalties, UNC showed the NCAA the text of its pre-prepared $7 billion lawsuit, the NCAA said maybe we'll delay the release of our penalties until our lawyers have had a chance to review the strength of your legal case.

Reaction Score
I spend a fair amount of time in NC on business. It’s a booming state with lots of golf courses. We could learn some things from NC - just saying.
None of which has much if any relevance to UNC's no show, no nothing courses, and ongoing related denials. Other than that, hooking up with Andre soon?

C

Chief00

None of which has much if any relevance to UNC's no show, no nothing courses, and ongoing related denials. Other than that, hooking up with Andre soon?
When the economy is good - problems get mitigated - you watch.

C

Chief00

When the economy is good - there's more money to go around - see Louisville

The NCAA is in the business to make money, Louisville is expendable, UNC isn’t.
They will get punished severely but (5 years from now they will be back to where they were.

Reaction Score
Anyone else find it odd that we STILL haven't heard an alternate date and time for this? Do they think people will forget and/or feel like it already happened because it was supposed to and didn't?

Didn't UNC already do their fundraiser? And wasn't it nice of the NCAA to accommodate them like that?

I did a little digging. We found out about our APR ban on April 5th. Think about that. They did the announcement IMMEDIATELY after the END of the current season and gave recruits and current players the maximum time to de-commit and transfer. If this UNC announcement actually happens and it, god forbid, contains a ban, they will announce it IMMEDIATLY after the START of the season and the ban will be for the current season to give current players ZERO chance to transfer and give recruits zero reason to de-commit. Believe that is coincidence if you want. I don't.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Anyone else find it odd that we STILL haven't heard an alternate date and time for this? Do they think people will forget and/or feel like it already happened because it was supposed to and didn't?

Didn't UNC already do their fundraiser? And wasn't it nice of the NCAA to accommodate them like that?

I did a little digging. We found out about our APR ban on April 5th. Think about that. They did the announcement IMMEDIATELY after the END of the current season and gave recruits and current players the maximum time to de-commit and transfer. If this UNC announcement actually happens and it, god forbid, contains a ban, they will announce it IMMEDIATLY after the START of the season and the ban will be for the current season to give current players ZERO chance to transfer and give recruits zero reason to de-commit. Believe that is coincidence if you want. I don't.
Wow, you nailed it.

Reaction Score
When the economy is good - problems get mitigated - you watch.
No doubt money makes many ethically vacuous issues go away, apparently even in academia and perhaps even with accreditation boards, e.g., Penn State Sandusky, Paterno, et al, and yet NC's economy was booming before UNC Chapel Hill's decade or so of no morals, no show, no work, no nothing courses were exposed in 2011.

Reaction Score

The speed of our public humiliation and punishment was astounding. I' ve watched these things go down after ours and they take forever.

Reaction Score
So what is going on with UNC? I feel like it is ¨crickets¨ since Friday...

C

Chief00

No doubt money makes many ethically vacuous issues go away, apparently even in academia and perhaps even with accreditation boards, e.g., Penn State Sandusky, Paterno, et al, and yet NC's economy was booming before UNC Chapel Hill's decade or so of no morals, no show, no work, no nothing courses were exposed in 2011.

And no punishment yet, six years later

Reaction Score

Assuming the original reports were correct (and I don't recall the NCAA denying they were), the UNC punishment was supposed to be announced last Friday. Now, we're a week past the announcement and the NCAA has yet to release it's findings or say "It's coming on 10/17."

It's almost like last Thursday's announcement was a trial balloon. The folks at the NCAA were looking at the non-UNC reactions and saying "Gee, people are looking for vacated titles and a multi-year postseason ban, but are expecting us to deliver a slap on the wrist. We've got to figure out a way to make a 2 scholarship reduction sound a lot more serious and hard-hitting."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think it is more like the Miami narrative. UNC said we won't accept any punishment and will fight you tooth and nail. As another poster said, it would not surprise me if UNC handed them a draft of the complaint that they will file.

Now under normal circumstances the NCAA would stammer, spew out a harrumph or two and move on to monitoring whether bagels have cream cheese or not on them (I kid you not on this. That's an issue to the NCAA.) But in this circumstance with the FBI probe in full swing they can't afford to look ineffectual or complicit.

So our boy Emmert has a problem. Now if he and his organization had integrity, he would move forward according to an established procedure that has had a history of being consistently and fairly applied. But we are talking about this gutless, grinning weasel:
Mark-Emmert.jpg

He's more about self-preservation than anything else. [Quite] frankly, there's no one I'd rather see in a trap of their own making.

Edited for @Mr. French

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think it more like the Miami narrative. UNC said we won't accept any punishment and will fight you tooth and nail. As another poster said, it would surprise me if UNC handed them a draft of the complaint that they will file.

Now under normal circumstances the NCAA would stammer, spew out a harrumph or two and move on to monitoring whether bagels have cream cheese or not on them (I kid you not on this. That's an issue to the NCAA.) But in this circumstance with the FBI probe in full swing they can't afford to look ineffectual or complicit.

So our boy Emmert has a problem. Now if he and his organization had integrity, he would move forward according to an established procedure that has had a history of being consistently and fairly applied. But we are talking about this gutless, grinning weasel:
Mark-Emmert.jpg

He's more about self preservation than anything else. Frankly, there's no on I'd rather see in a trap of their own making.

I agree with the entirety of your post except for the failure to include "quite" before "frankly."

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
The NCAA has never had any integrity and never will. They hand out punishments arbitrarily. They protect sacred cows. This stuff isn't new and isn't going to change. Anyone expecting UNC getting a major penalty is going to be sorely disappointed.

Reaction Score

Full story: NCAA Will Release UNC Infractions Report Friday (hmmm... Friday the 13th)

>>CHAPEL HILL, N.C. – The next and potentially final step in the University of North Carolina’s years-long NCAA investigation into academic irregularities in the formerly named African and Afro-American Studies department will occur Friday when the NCAA releases its infraction report. Sources confirm the University was given 24 hours notice of the announcement schedule on Thursday morning.<<

>>According to NCAA bylaws, once UNC receives the infractions report, it has 15 calendar days to decide if it wants to appeal the ruling. The NCAA website indicates a 110-day timeline for the appeals process. The decision of the Infractions Appeals Committee is final.<<

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

NCAA and UNC went over the report. UNC waived it's objection after the NCAA agreed to just a couple of changes:

NCAA-Logo_Parallax-1400x700-734x350.jpg

Committee on Infractions
Infractions Report - University of North Carolina

Date: October 6, 2017 October 13, 2017

After a thorough and exhaustive review the committee finds as follows:

The University of North Carolina participated in a two decade long academic fraud that materially misreported the eligibility of their student athletes in a way that was inconsistent with the best interests of their student athletes, the NCAA, or the integrity of the college athletics.

Accordingly, the NCAA hereby vacates each and every game during that period and the period during which our investigations took place, including two national championships, and will not allow UNC to participate in any of the sports in which the fraud took place, including men's basketball, woman's basketball and football for the next two years. UNC must refund to the NCAA all post season funds earned during this period.
The committee recognizes the severity of this penalty but feel it is necessary to maintain the integrity of college athletics. This is not done with malice toward UNC and we are hopeful that they will use this period of non-eligibility to reflect upon how they can return to being a responsible member of the college athletic community. In this critical endeavor the committee wishes the University of North Carolina well.

Last edited:

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Lol, so you are saying that UNC gives approvals for the 2017 fall semester in January of 2018? Interesting theory.

cutting edge stuff. all the colleges will be doing it.

Reaction Score
Are you saying you think Harvey Weinstein was railroaded?
When you are as handsome as Harvey Weinstein there is no need for him to force himself on women. They fall at his feet. Sounds consensual to me.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Are you saying you think Harvey Weinstein was railroaded?
From what I hear he was the one doing the railroading and in some cases, I may be envious!!!
Just kidding - any type of intimidation is unacceptable, in the workplace especially

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
From what I hear he was the one doing the railroading and in some cases, I may be envious!!!
Just kidding - any type of intimidation is unacceptable, in the workplace especially

I don't usually find much humor in rape jokes but in your case, its even less funny.

You shouldn't try to be funny. Its a bad look.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom