NBA Summer League | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NBA Summer League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've only seen one Heat game, the one Bazz played well in, anybody else watching these, what is going on with his shot? 1-10 so far today, I know its summer league but damn this is looking ugly.

Reaction Score
I've only seen one Heat game, the one Bazz played well in, anybody else watching these, what is going on with his shot? 1-10 so far today, I know its summer league but damn this is looking ugly.

I've seen all of his summer league games except the first one. Part of the problem is he's just missing shots. The defense being played in this Summer League pales in comparison to some of the better defenses he saw in his senior year at UConn - they're giving him a ton of space on pick and rolls, and he just isn't making them pay. His shot looks a little bit flat - one of the announcers commented about a thumb injury, which I hadn't heard about.

Shot selection has also been a problem. He's taking a lot of shots early in the clock, that, while decent looks, aren't going to buy him a lot of good will with his teammates. Clearly, he's not going to have the same sort of leeway in the NBA that he did in college, so that's probably going to be an adjustment process for him.

I'm not too concerned about his jump shot, however, he appears to be forcing the issue in other facets of the game. He's over-dribbling, taking the ball too deep and getting swallowed up, and just generally trying to do too much.

Reaction Score
I've watched every Heat game and I've never seen Bazz's shot so far off...missing left, right, short, long wide open looks. Severe rust? Not the Bazz we know.

Reaction Score
He became too reliant on Senhor. It's our fault.

Reaction Score
I've seen all of his summer league games except the first one. Part of the problem is he's just missing shots. The defense being played in this Summer League pales in comparison to some of the better defenses he saw in his senior year at UConn - they're giving him a ton of space on pick and rolls, and he just isn't making them pay. His shot looks a little bit flat - one of the announcers commented about a thumb injury, which I hadn't heard about.

Shot selection has also been a problem. He's taking a lot of shots early in the clock, that, while decent looks, aren't going to buy him a lot of good will with his teammates. Clearly, he's not going to have the same sort of leeway in the NBA that he did in college, so that's probably going to be an adjustment process for him.

I'm not too concerned about his jump shot, however, he appears to be forcing the issue in other facets of the game. He's over-dribbling, taking the ball too deep and getting swallowed up, and just generally trying to do too much.

yea just looking at the boxscores I also have to ask why in the hell is he taking so many shots, lol. if his shot isn't falling he needs to start spreading the ball around.

Reaction Score
yea just looking at the boxscores I also have to ask why in the hell is he taking so many shots, lol. if his shot isn't falling he needs to start spreading the ball around.
Have you seen who he has to work with? Noone can locate the basket let alone put a ball through it on this team except Ennis. Summer League is going to be rough for shabazz.

Reaction Score
Have you seen who he has to work with? Noone can locate the basket let alone put a ball through it on this team except Ennis. Summer League is going to be rough for shabazz.

if Lebron leaves the real Heat ain't gonna look much better. I guess the one positive is he cut down on the turnovers today but man these shooting figures are tough to look at.

Reaction Score
I always thought Bazz has more a Steve Nash type game than CP3. Not as good a shooter yet as those 2 but very crafty.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

No worries. It's like baseball. A guy can hit .100 in Spring Training, and then got out and have a .300+ season no problem.

It's not like Bazz is ever going to lack for confidence, and we know he can shoot. It will come.

Reaction Score
as I wait for this Canelo/Lara fight, a much better showing from Bazz tonight that I hopefully won't jinx by posting about it. 11pts and 4assists midway thru the 3rd, not really shot hunting and playing within the flow, but he's gotta cut down on the unforced turnovers via dumb passes. Might need to just reinforce the basics and stop with the one handers and crazy bounce passes, although he should be down 1 turnover because James Ennis literally ran to him as he was navigating thru the lane and tried taking the ball from him, causing a turnover that was credited to Bazz. Also, this is only the 2nd game I've been able to see but Bazz doesn't get to dominate the ball in the same manner that I see alot of the other young PGs doing in SL. Alot of off the ball action via design and not design because if the Heat wings like Ennis, Johnson, and Honeycutt get a def rebound they're not giving it up.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Niels getting some time for the Jazz. Missed an open 3, then made a nice drive and finished at the hoop. Nice quick jumper in traffic. Active on defense....looking good the little bit I've seen. This is the 3rd quarter-no idea if he played earlier.

Reaction Score
Bazz shot better, some nice setups but he really needs to get out of his own head with some of these miscues. On one play he had Ennis wide open on the wing and fired a pass that was about 3 feet away from him, then followed that up a bit later with 2 missed free throws, just uncharacteristic stuff. He's also gotta compete on defense, he only slides his feet for a few steps and then gives way and tries to recover by reaching in, no way will he get time if he plays like that all the time once the real thing starts up.

Reaction Score
As I watch the 1st half of this Heat/Wiz game, it has reached the point where for Bazz summer league needs to come to a merciful end. The 2nd time in 3 games I've seen him go to the line and not even come close to make either free throw, just ugly to watch right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
aceboon said:
As I watch the 1st half of this Heat/Wiz game, it has reached the point where for Bazz summer league needs to come to a merciful end. The 2nd time in 3 games I've seen him go to the line and not even come close to make either free throw, just ugly to watch right now.

It's got to be the thumb injury thing. If it hurts bad enough to make him shoot that poorly, he probably shouldn't be playing.

He could just be having confidence problems, but I doubt it after the run he just had at UConn.

Reaction Score
watching him play Bazz has alot more going on then a thumb right now, he has major issues that need to be worked out before I can see him playing meaningful minutes in the NBA. it is kinda bizarre watching him play this poorly, its like a completely different dude out there.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I dont know what is up with the kid. Its way more than the thumb. 2-16 wtf... its weird seeing him shoot this poorly.

Reaction Score
and he just airballed a potential game winning 3, this is painful, this SL session needs to come to an end for him quickly

Reaction Score
If his thumb is injured enough to be worth talking about, it could really screw him up. Not sure if it is on his shooting hand or not.

If this is all mental, hopefully it passes when this session ends.

Reaction Score
In other news, DD is playing well, 16 and 6 yesterday. Nice article on the Raptors site:

http://www.nba.com/raptors/mackenzie_daniels071514

Dwane Casey pointed to the coaching and experience he received from playing with the 2014 NCAA Champion UConn Huskies as a reason why Daniels has been able to step in and contribute.
“He had great coaching in Connecticut,” Casey said. “He’s ahead [of Caboclo] just because he’s older. He had a lot more teaching in a championship program so he’s ahead. With him also he’s got to get stronger, but he’s doing a lot of good things on the court which I think in time will translate to the NBA game.”

DD is also adjusting well to a foreign country, he's learned to speak Canadian:

"Whatever the coaches tell me to do, I’m going to do it,” Daniels said. "I’m just trying to go out there and compete. My main focus is trying to get better on defence when we play on the floor, just rotate and not try to be in the lane for three seconds, try to get in and out. I feel like that’s the biggest difference I’m trying to get adjusted to.”

Giff not getting a ton of run, but nailed a 3 in 5 minutes of time yesterday. And got to sing happy birthday to Dante Exum, so there's that:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...hday-a-day-after-NBA-Summer-League-debut.html

Reaction Score
jesus you would think napier would take advantage of any opportunity to play better. he's at the espys. should have been at this game playing. is daniels at the espys too? i hope not

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
So if DD is ahead of Cabolo, why are the Raptors contemplating sending DD to Europe instead of keeping Cabolo there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom