NBA Summer League | Page 19 | The Boneyard

NBA Summer League

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
His quick learning is on display….

Great for AS - hopefully the Bulls will take a much closer look at keeping him on the parent team

Reaction Score
Jackson and Hawkins have been turnover machines. Not exactly the Summer League performances I was hoping for them.
Hawk's handle was always a problem during his time as a Husky

Reaction Score
Small sample size, guys that have been pros for less than a month, and everybody has some thoughts. I like having more basketball available to me year-round; but, in a way, the summer league can be rough on the new guys.

Reaction Score
This article is giving Andre a little bit of love for his summer league performances, highlighting his passing ability and defensive upside.

I also thought this quote was interesting: "Jackson averaged 0.87 points per offensive chance and allowed 0.69 points per defensive chance, via Stats Perform. He and Bilal Coulibaly, a lottery pick for the Wizards, were the only players to rank top-20 in both categories among all notable summer league rookies."

Reaction Score
Hawkins with 8 points on 50% at halftime. Started the game off with a tough 3, had a slashing and1 layup, and a midrange jumper. 3 rebounds as well, he's been really strong on the boards all summer league

Reaction Score
Small sample size, guys that have been pros for less than a month, and everybody has some thoughts. I like having more basketball available to me year-round; but, in a way, the summer league can be rough on the new guys.
It was also rough to watch most of these "teams" play "me ball" rather than "team ball". I think that I will skip it next year and tough it out until the start of the NCAA regular season starts in November.

Reaction Score
Pelicans were down 7 with just over 5 minutes left, and Hawkins had 4 plays to spark a really fast 7-0 run to tie it:
  1. A three
  2. A putback dunk poster
  3. A defensive stop and rebound
  4. A steal
Unfortunately the Pelicans couldn't finish it out, and Hawkins did get blocked on a stepback 3 that would have put them up late. Pelicans were down 4 with 7 seconds left and almost got a 4 point play to tie it. Seabron had a decent look to send it to OT later at the buzzer, but missed

Hawkins finishes with 16 points, 5 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 assists on 43% shooting (6-14) and 37.5% from three (3-8)

Reaction Score
he’s not shocking the world summer league , but he seems the type to get acclimated and eventually get his stride like kemba.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Pelicans were down 7 with just over 5 minutes left, and Hawkins had 4 plays to spark a really fast 7-0 run to tie it:
  1. A three
  2. A putback dunk poster
  3. A defensive stop and rebound
  4. A steal
Unfortunately the Pelicans couldn't finish it out, and Hawkins did get blocked on a stepback 3 that would have put them up late. Pelicans were down 4 with 7 seconds left and almost got a 4 point play to tie it. Seabron had a decent look to send it to OT later at the buzzer, but missed

Hawkins finishes with 16 points, 5 rebounds, 4 steals, 2 assists on 43% shooting (6-14) and 37.5% from three (3-8)
If only Andre was on that team he would have fed him all night long!!

Reaction Score
Wild finish to Nets/Cavs in the semifinals

Emoni Bates hits a go-ahead 3 with 1 minute left, Craig Porter Jr hits a really nice shot to put them up 3, but Armoni Brooks pulled up for a DEEP 3 with 24 seconds left to tie it. Off to OT

Reaction Score
The summer league wraps up today with no more UConn players playing (championship is Cavs vs. Rockets). All 5 of our guys played 5 games each, and here are their stats:

James Bouknight:
  • 13.2 PPG
  • 4.8 RPG
  • 0.8 APG
  • 40.3% FG / 27.2% 3P / 87.5% FT
My summary: Had 1 great half, otherwise unfortunately a very rough summer league. Struggled to hit 3s, stay in front of his man, and break down defenders 1-on-1. His future opportunities are very limited, I think the biggest key to earning his spot back will be to hit his threes and minimize time isolating. Unfortunately I did not really see any improvement in this summer league vs. last year

Jordan Hawkins:
  • 12.8 PPG
  • 5.2 RPG
  • 2.2 APG
  • 31.9% FG / 25% 3P / 55% FT
My summary: 3 solid games of 16pts each on 40-43% FG, and 2 miserable games where he shot a combined 3-25 that dragged his stats down. I'm confident his 3P and FT percentages will bump back up in the regular season when he's running real NBA sets, but the next step in his development is being able to put the ball on the floor and create a shot himself. He had a few flashes of this, but for the most part still looks uncomfortable dribbling and driving through contact.

Andre Jackson:
  • 5.4 PPG
  • 6.4 RPG
  • 2.4 APG
  • 33.3% FG / 20% 3P / 100% FT
My summary: His game in college was pretty much identical to his game in the summer league. A lot of great plays, a lot of dumb plays, and his value is a lot better than his box score. As we all know, his NBA longevity will be dependent on him hitting a respectable enough amount of his open threes which he struggled with this month. But on the flip side, he definitely got the most highlight reel plays of the bunch and made the winning plays that helped the Bucks take one of their games. The full Andre Jackson experience.

Tyrese Martin:
  • 13.2 PPG
  • 6.0 RPG
  • 2.6 APG
  • 44.4% FG, 34.8% 3P, 76.9% FT
My summary: He had 2 games of 20+ points, 1 game where him (and most starters) played limited minutes, and 2 pretty rough games. I think Tyrese is the ultimate build for NBA role player. Good size, super athletic, 100% effort every play, and good enough shooting where defenses have to respect him. I hope he gets a guaranteed deal, definitely deserves it. Remember he averaged 18 a game in the G League last year so he's proven he can contribute at that level

Adama Sanogo:
  • 10.2 PPG
  • 8.4 RPG
  • 0.8 APG
  • 65.7% FG / 50% FT
My summary: It's amazing how good Adama is. His role was pretty much exclusively a roaming big that just sets screens and dives to the hoop, just 3 months after his role was low post bully ball superstar. It took him 1 game to get used to this new system, and he was dominant for the other 4 games. He was great on the offensive rebounds, set a million great screens without fouling (moving screen was a VERY common call across the Summer League), and positioned himself well to finish inside. Great performance from Sanogo

Reaction Score
Today is the guarantee date for Tyrese's contract, right? If they don't cut him today, he makes >$1mil

Reaction Score
The summer league wraps up today with no more UConn players playing (championship is Cavs vs. Rockets). All 5 of our guys played 5 games each, and here are their stats:

James Bouknight:
  • 13.2 PPG
  • 4.8 RPG
  • 0.8 APG
My summary: Had 1 great half, otherwise unfortunately a very rough summer league. Struggled to hit 3s, stay in front of his man, and break down defenders 1-on-1. His future opportunities are very limited, I think the biggest key to earning his spot back will be to hit his threes and minimize time isolating. Unfortunately I did not really see any improvement in this summer league vs. last year

Jordan Hawkins:
  • 12.8 PPG
  • 5.2 RPG
  • 2.2 APG
My summary: 3 solid games of 16pts each on 40-43% FG, and 2 miserable games where he shot a combined 3-25 that dragged his stats down. I'm confident his 3P and FT percentages will bump back up in the regular season when he's running real NBA sets, but the next step in his development is being able to put the ball on the floor and create a shot himself. He had a few flashes of this, but for the most part still looks uncomfortable dribbling and driving through contact.

Andre Jackson:
  • 5.4 PPG
  • 6.4 RPG
  • 2.4 APG
My summary: His game in college was pretty much identical to his game in the summer league. A lot of great plays, a lot of dumb plays, and his value is a lot better than his box score. As we all know, his NBA longevity will be dependent on him hitting a respectable enough amount of his open threes which he struggled with this month. But on the flip side, he definitely got the most highlight reel plays of the bunch and made the winning plays that helped the Bucks take one of their games. The full Andre Jackson experience.

Tyrese Martin:
  • 13.2 PPG
  • 6.0 RPG
  • 2.6 APG
My summary: He had 2 games of 20+ points, 1 game where him (and most starters) played limited minutes, and 2 pretty rough games. I think Tyrese is the ultimate build for NBA role player. Good size, super athletic, 100% effort every play, and good enough shooting where defenses have to respect him. I hope he gets a guaranteed deal, definitely deserves it. Remember he averaged 18 a game in the G League last year so he's proven he can contribute at that level

Adama Sanogo:
  • 10.2 PPG
  • 8.4 RPG
  • 0.8 APG
  • 65.7% FG / 50% FT
My summary: It's amazing how good Adama is. His role was pretty much exclusively a roaming big that just sets screens and dives to the hoop, just 3 months after his role was low post bully ball superstar. It took him 1 game to get used to this new system, and he was dominant for the other 4 games. He was great on the offensive rebounds, set a million great screens without fouling (moving screen was a VERY common call across the Summer League), and positioned himself well to finish inside. Great performance from Sanogo

Appreciate the strong recap. Agree with your takes

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

James Bouknight:
  • 13.2 PPG
  • 4.8 RPG
  • 0.8 APG

Jordan Hawkins:
  • 12.8 PPG
  • 5.2 RPG
  • 2.2 APG

Andre Jackson:
  • 5.4 PPG
  • 6.4 RPG
  • 2.4 APG

Tyrese Martin:
  • 13.2 PPG
  • 6.0 RPG
  • 2.6 APG

Adama Sanogo:
  • 10.2 PPG
  • 8.4 RPG
  • 0.8 APG
  • 65.7% FG / 50% FT
Good stuff thanks for pulling this together and your summaries are spot on!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom