NBA Scout on Oriakhi | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NBA Scout on Oriakhi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Watch those last 11 games of 2011 before making such ridiculous statements about the kid. If it wasn't for how poorly he and his family handled his final year at UConn and his transfer, none of you could rightfully deny his massive contribution that year.

Unfortunately his incessant chirping about JC and his lovefest with a school he attended for one year and didn't win at will forever stain what should have been a nice legacy. I wish him the best but might enjoy a smile when he goes undrafted next month.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, Alex is a strong guy who too often doesn't leverage his strength to his advantage and is not explosive. He definitely has poor hands. However, he has had moments when he rebounds very productively.

Early in his career his lower body strength was poor but I think that has marginally improved. Alex was a decent student and I thought a good guy but something happened his last season. I think he was very frustrated with Bazz not passing to him (from his perspective) and splitting minutes with Tyler. Then he went down the wrong path both for the team and himself.

Realistically the team was better off not having him this year. If nothing else, it allowed more people who were going to be around for a tournament run to develop. What happened to us regarding the APR is unfortunate.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
-3-Shabazz Napier
Without Shabazz allowing Kemba to play off the ball, we wouldn't have nearly been as good, the extra ball handler was crucial

Everyone was important. But putting Bazz over Alex is just plain hate. An extra ballhandler is more important than the best big man? Idiocy. Alex could have been the MVP over the last 2 games. Bazz almost gave the semi away with that lazy dribble off his foot.

Reaction Score
Everyone was important. But putting Bazz over Alex is just plain hate. An extra ballhandler is more important than the best big man? Idiocy. Alex could have been the MVP over the last 2 games. Bazz almost gave the semi away with that lazy dribble off his foot.

Please Waq...one dribble from Bazz is ALL you can come up with? And how many times did AO drop a dime from kemba or Bazz? You want ridiculous look at your post..........

The guy was good for the last 11 games, he gets that from even me who thinks he blows. The rest of his career, minus Maui too was that of a 6 pts and 4.5 rebounds guy it's that simple. He came up big no doubt one year, but his inconsistent play throughout the year and inability to play good against good teams in the BE regular season also insisted on kemba doing heroic things for UConn to make the NCAA tourney.......plenty of ways to look at that year not just the last 11 games where it was easy to be good because Kemba was so damn good!!

Reaction Score
He was also very good against Texas that year iirc

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Well, looks like we have the next Karl Malone according to that scouting report. That wraps that controversy up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Please Waq...one dribble from Bazz is ALL you can come up with? And how many times did AO drop a dime from kemba or Bazz? You want ridiculous look at your post..........

What mau, you wanted me to bring up Bazz' 2-13 shooting and 6 TO's? I wouldn't do that. The point of my post was that anyone who says that Bazz was better than AO and his 2 double figure rebound games and his 9-12 shooting is doing so out of hate not fact. How is that ridiculous?

And BTW how many dimes did AO drop?

Reaction Score
I found it funny that this scout noted he never takes a bad shot. What used to drive me crazy were the half hearted attempts to back a guy down in the paint followed up by those little left handed flips he would throw up there. He resorted to this shot often, I don't remember him making one. I could see if he was left handed and threw that crap up but he wasn't. I wonder who worked on that with him and actually convinced him that it was a good move.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I found it funny that this scout noted he never takes a bad shot. What used to drive me crazy were the half hearted attempts to back a guy down in the paint followed up by those little left handed flips he would throw up there. He resorted to this shot often, I don't remember him making one. I could see if he was left handed and threw that crap up but he wasn't. I wonder who worked on that with him and actually convinced him that it was a good move.
Oriahki--->Soft

Reaction Score
What mau, you wanted me to bring up Bazz' 2-13 shooting and 6 TO's? I wouldn't do that. The point of my post was that anyone who says that Bazz was better than AO and his 2 double figure rebound games and his 9-12 shooting is doing so out of hate not fact. How is that ridiculous?

And BTW how many dimes did AO drop?

You're kidding me on the dropped passes right? Or the walks, or the times he didn't run up court for defense? While we needed a big to play well we also needed a guard to help with kemba when double teamed and against the traps......we certainly couldn't count on AO to dribble, throw a pass or anything of the sort. So while Kemba was a distand #1 in importance and Jlamb turned out to be a huge #2 there isn't anyting crazy about putting AO and Bazz in together for a distant tie for 3. That's not hate that's reality.......the guy thrived off Kemba and jeremy did also......proof came the year after when Jeremy was okay and Ao sucked!! But Bazz was real good and this year he was damn good!

Reaction Score
Man.....you guys.... I can only imagine how some of you would handle being broken up with.

That's the best comparison you can come up with? ......"being broken up with"?? :rolleyes:

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
You guys who continue to post about AO are like that sensitive little kid who can't get over his girlfriend leaving him so badly that over a year after she left him he still talks about her. About how her new bf is nothing compared to him and she was so dumb for leaving him. Relishing in whatever struggle she may encounter after leaving and letting everyone know about it. And somehow still so deeply entrenched in emotional investment that they don't even realize how pathetic they're acting.

Just the first thing that came to mind, really.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
You guys who continue to post about AO are like that sensitive little kid who can't get over his girlfriend leaving him so badly that over a year after she left him he still talks about her. About how her new bf is nothing compared to him and she was so dumb for leaving him. Relishing in whatever struggle she may encounter after leaving and letting everyone know about it. And somehow still so deeply entrenched in emotional investment that they don't even realize how pathetic they're acting.

Just the first thing that came to mind, really.

Hey, leave 15-year-old me out of this.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Can anyone remember a single play in Alex Oriakhi's career that made you think, "wow, that was smooth and polished?"

Oriakhi's fatal flaw on the court, and in public relations too, is his total lack of finesse. To make the league, you gotta have at least some flow to your game, cause the big guys in the NBA are Huge (capital H).

Same way with dealing with people. Most of the time the better outcome results from just staying quiet and moving on.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Can anyone remember a single play in Alex Oriakhi's career that made you think, "wow, that was smooth and polished?"

I liked the way he lifted that champioship trophy! Very smooth.

Reaction Score
Huh? He was the best big man in the Final Four of 2011. JC doesn't get his third title without him. I hope he makes the NBA.
Amen.. and one thing about this kid, although his end with UCONN wasn't to be expected. This kid handled his business in the classroom and had/showed respect to people.. Even responded back to an email from me after we won it all in '11... Gotta remember guys, these are just kids..

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Amen.. and one thing about this kid, although his end with UCONN wasn't to be expected. This kid handled his business in the classroom and had/showed respect to people.. Even responded back to an email from me after we won it all in '11... Gotta remember guys, these are just kids..

Ya, very respectful when he called Coach Calhoun a "mumu" on twitter and tried erasing it, all because JC couldn't bare to watch his sorry arse run the court one more time.....a justified pull if you ask me.

I'm glad he finished with another team (did us a favor in my book)

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I doubt AO will continue any further anti-UConn, anti-JC rants, so for me it has run its course and I have no further ill-will for AO.
If he does make an NBA roster, at least it will add to the count of UConn alums in the league.

His value to the 2011 championship team has been both undersold and oversold to the extreme in this thread...but he certainly did contribute and it was great that he played his best in the Final Four.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Hope that isn't a 15 yo in your avatar. You'd go to jail for that.
Would you believe she's 39? She's aged quite well. I think she was around 33 in this pic though. Since then she's become a fitness model and is a little more hard-bodied now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom