NBA playoffs | Page 18 | The Boneyard

NBA playoffs

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Dirk's run in 2011 he swept the Lakers who had Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, Odom. He beat OKC 4-1 who had Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka. He beat the Heat 4-2 who had Lebron, Wade, Bosh. Dirk was unreal in those playoffs and carried a team with no other all-stars over a bunch of other NBA legends/top 50 all-time players. It was one of the best playoff runs ever.

You said "Tatum is a better playoff scorer and player than Wade, who was never the lead guy anyway." Will you at least admit that's a ridiculous statement and untrue?

Wade was the leading scorer for the Heat in that losing NBA finals series against the Mavs and outscored Lebron for those playoffs. When Wade beat the Mavericks in the NBA finals back in 2006 Wade averaged 35 ppg.

Kawhi averaged 31 in the playoffs when he led the Raptors to the championship.
Not to mention Kawhi did that while shooting almost 60% from the field and being the best defender on the floor.

What are we talking about here? If Tatum was any of these players he’s being compared to the Celtics would have a ring.

Reaction Score
You’re talking about one specific run for each guy. Dirk’s came when he was 34. Kawhi was incredible that year, but his main contribution before that was on the other side of the ball. Maybe Tatum never has a run like that. Maybe he has four of them. But very few guys led teams to titles in their early 20s. Kawhi and Kobe won titles young, but weren’t the best players on those teams.

The original post said maybe Boston can win but every team that wins has a great “alpha” scorer for clutch moments, and suggested Tatum isn’t that. All I’m saying is, he hasn’t been that, consistently enough anyway, yet. But if they win there’s a good chance he’d have a run like that. Then he would be one of those guys. I then pointed out that most of the great players had also never been that guy at 25-26 years old which you jumped all over. It is way too soon to judge the player, as either capable or not capable of carrying a team to a title.
So you're not going to admit your Wade comment was ridiculous and untrue?

Since you're making it an age/experience thing Wade was 24 years old in his third season when he was "the lead guy" and averaged 35 points in the finals beating the Mavs.

Reaction Score
Tatum lovers please give it a break- let him win a chip & then you can brag how great he is & compare him to all these great players. In regards to his clutch gene- at this point within his career in the playoffs he hasn’t been that guy like some of the other greats. Looks like he will have plenty of opportunities to switch that narrative, but if you are trying to say with all these crazy stats that he has been super clutch than you just haven’t been watching the playoffs over the last 5 years.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Since you're making it an age/experience thing Wade was 24 years old in his third season when he was "the lead guy" and averaged 35 points in the finals beating the Mavs.
It wasn't ridiculous. His career scoring average in the playoffs is below Tatum's. Tatum rebounds more and assists are about the same. Wade's eFG% is .490 Tatum is .506. I admit I forgot that Wade led that particular Miami team with Shaq in scoring. So credit is due for that, especially at that age. The next year they were swept in round 1 as a #1 seed.

It doesn't matter. I think Tatum is good enough to carry the team to a title, but he hasn't yet.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

He can def give you Wade, he was off on some of his specific examples (he admits he forgot about 2006) but he’s making good overall points about saying Tatum ISN’T that rather than “hasn’t fully become that.”

I’d think you can agree that part, his main part, isn’t ridiculous?

I’m not on one side for Tatum either way, but he makes some points.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Celtics are in an odd place. They're contenders every year, but only have one title in almost four decades. They're the UCLA of the NBA

Reaction Score
You’re talking about one specific run for each guy. Dirk’s came when he was 34. Kawhi was incredible that year, but his main contribution before that was on the other side of the ball. Maybe Tatum never has a run like that. Maybe he has four of them. But very few guys led teams to titles in their early 20s. Kawhi and Kobe won titles young, but weren’t the best players on those teams.

The original post said maybe Boston can win but every team that wins has a great “alpha” scorer for clutch moments, and suggested Tatum isn’t that. All I’m saying is, he hasn’t been that, consistently enough anyway, yet. But if they win there’s a good chance he’d have a run like that. Then he would be one of those guys. I then pointed out that most of the great players had also never been that guy at 25-26 years old which you jumped all over. It is way too soon to judge the player, as either capable or not capable of carrying a team to a title.
Effectively, you're both saying the same thing. As of now, its still true. And if they win the title, there's a good chance that changes. If it doesn't change, they likely won't win it. So the question will likely answer itself in the next month+

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Good news guys: whether he or the other 49 top players win the title this year, we’ll have the same general debate next year about him and every other nba player for the next 100 years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The C's are stuck with a stiff for a coach. If they don't win it all you have to figure he's gone.

Reaction Score
The C's are stuck with a stiff for a coach. If they don't win it all you have to figure he's gone.
Just blame the coach if he doesn’t get it done it’s time to hire another fall guy.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Thought Mozerella was funny when they went inside the huddle and his adjustment was to shoot more 3s a few playoffs ago.

If that’s your adjustments you’re cooked. He may be riding the wave of Udoka’s defense that he was around for the install. Similar to how Steve Kerr picked up Mark Jackson’s defense with the Warriors. Except in Kerr’s case he popped open the lid on the offense in a major way.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thought Mozerella was funny when they went inside the huddle and his adjustment was to shoot more 3s a few playoffs ago.

If that’s your adjustments you’re cooked. He may be riding the wave of Udoka’s defense that he was around for the install. Similar to how Steve Kerr picked up Mark Jackson’s defense with the Warriors. Except in Kerr’s case he popped open the lid on the offense in a major way.
It's similar to UConn. If they are standing around they have to have a good shooting night. Last night they were standing around, not moving off the ball. Also played lazy perimeter D just as they did in game 2 vs. Miami. The whole "other team had a hot shooting night" is often what happens if you don't defend NBA caliber shooters.

Reaction Score
Wow, I'm just seeing what Patrick Beverley did. Hits a woman in the head with the ball and then fires the ball again at a guy. Makes up that they called him an unspeakable word and then won't talk to a reporter in the locker room because she isn't signed up to his podcast. Apparently he's been telling reporters all season he won't talk to them if they're not signed up to his podcast. What a jackarse.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It's similar to UConn. If they are standing around they have to have a good shooting night. Last night they were standing around, not moving off the ball. Also played lazy perimeter D just as they did in game 2 vs. Miami. The whole "other team had a hot shooting night" is often what happens if you don't defend NBA caliber shooters.
They don’t have the talent advantage we do to live on the perimeter (because the talent margins aren’t all that big in the NBA especially when you get deep into the playoffs).

Also I think the way we live on the perimeter is overblown anyways. We were not a great 3 point shooting team and very average there. Especially during the tourney.

76th in 3P made
102nd in attempts
85th in 3P%

Tourney game by game numbers:
37% Stetson
13% NW
38% SDSU
17% ILL
40% BAMA
27% PUR

3 point shooting was far down the list of reasons why we were so good last year.

Can’t speak on how they played every game because I didn’t watch. But the Timberwolves are blowing through much tougher competition thus far.

Reaction Score
So Burks just like Precious in the game before is put in the lineup due to injuries and produces. I know he wasn't good after the trade but you got to at least see what a guy can do for a stint.

Reaction Score
I then pointed out that most of the great players had also never been that guy at 25-26 years old which you jumped all over. It is way too soon to judge the player, as either capable or not capable of carrying a team to a title.
Ant is 22 and about to lead his team to the finals and then take over Team USA

Reaction Score
So Burks just like Precious in the game before is put in the lineup due to injuries and produces. I know he wasn't good after the trade but you got to at least see what a guy can do for a stint.
I love Thibs and I think he's about as good as it gets as a coach but man it's a glaring weakness he's had his whole career. It's hard to believe he still does it and he's allowed to still do it.

Knicks are so friggin' tough but they could've ended the series tonight. Pretty shocked by the Nuggets game.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
The Knicks are a better team than the Pacers and I don’t think it is necessarily even close just with OG and certainly not if they had a healthy M. Robinson. This would be sweep with (OG) and had a full strength Robison been in the game tonight some of those Pacer offensive rebounds at the end of the game don’t happen. Even as compromised as the Knicks were it took a 31’ foot as the shot clock was expiring for the Pacers to win. What is the make percentage on that shot mid 20% or no higher than 30%. So it took all that they had.

I know these are pros but the Pacers now know the Knicks and the team they have is not going to go away. I think the Knicks could win game 4 and the series in 5.

Been a Knick fan since 72 but I was young not even 10. I can honestly say this team from a fan standpoint is for me as likable maybe even more so than the Ewing teams of the 90’s that seemed to make the conference finals every year (Charles Smith ugh). Maybe Bernard King’s run was this fun to watch but I am not sure. This Knick team is fun to root for even with the nba officiating baggage.

Just one thought are the Knicks better with out Randle? I love Randle he is a dog, but has had a history of not doing so well in the postseason. The Knicks record with OG in the lineup is like 29-5.

Just going to say it if the Knicks were fully healthy (without Julius) but healthy Robinson, OG and Bogdonovic, I think they would take Boston to seven games and also have a good chance to beat them.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Question to Knicks fans: are you growing weary of Brunson’s foul-baiting? It’s approaching Harden/Embiid levels, to the point where sometimes he’s more interested in trying to bait the foul than make the shot.

Happened last night on the final play of the game. Was a very Harden-esque moment.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom