NBA Playoffs | Page 8 | The Boneyard

NBA Playoffs

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
They have games where Parker and Maker give them nothing and games where they're impact players.

Maker didn't play in Boston. Then he had 12 cumulative blocks in Milwaukee. Can't be much of an impact player riding the pine like that.

Reaction Score
I'd put Toronto/Philly as my 1-2 but MIL is a mess as often as they're clicking. I imagine the turmoil over their coaching situation plays a part. I've never been a fan of Bledsoe and they force Giannis into playmaking/iso situations far too often for my liking. Between Bledsoe, Brogdan, and Giannis they don't have a reliable, traditional playmaker/point guard. Their frontcourt outside of Giannis is an enigma. They have games where Parker and Maker give them nothing and games where they're impact players.

As for the OKC/Utah series, the hater in me can't stop smiling. Seeing Melo go 5/18 last night. Shooting 37% on the series. Yet Russ is even worse at 36%. They're shooting 23% and 21%, respectively. Paul George has six assists in the series (161 MP) and Melo has two (143 MP). It's a wonderful display on how to not play modern NBA basketball.
Strong takes and stats to back it up. Is Russ a little early MJ-ish, thought of as too selfish to win and truly needed to recalibrate? Or is he Allen Iverson and never changing? The league is way too strong right now for Russ to carry a mediocre squad to the finals like Iverson did.

Carmelo is modern day Dominique (OKC comp is 'nique in his last futile iteration on Celtics) minus the dunks & swag.

Reaction Score
Strong takes and stats to back it up. Is Russ a little early MJ-ish, thought of as too selfish to win and truly needed to recalibrate? Or is he Allen Iverson and never changing? The league is way too strong right now for Russ to carry a mediocre squad to the finals like Iverson did.

Carmelo is modern day Dominique (OKC comp is 'nique in his last futile iteration on Celtics) minus the dunks & swag.
Mediocre LMAOOO so prime Paul George, prime Steven Adams, and a HOFer in Melo isn’t enough to get out of the first round for Russ?

Got the best injury luck of any good team, should be at worst a 4 seed, instead ends up a 7, and you know PG ain’t sticking around for this

Reaction Score
Yeah they are like a newer version of the Spurs, getting past the first round in Mitchells rookie year would be huge first step toward superstar status. Knicks continue to be stupid not that (Frank Nikilina won't be good), and Mitchell was from NYC too.
I'm a Knicks fan but way more upset UConn didn't get him. Lives in Greenwich, went to Greenwich Country Day, Canterbury, and shared a backcourt with Jalen at Brewster. Mitchell Adams backcourt would have been amazing.

Reaction Score
Yeah they are like a newer version of the Spurs, getting past the first round in Mitchells rookie year would be huge first step toward superstar status. Knicks continue to be stupid not that (Frank Nikilina won't be good), and Mitchell was from NYC too.

I think Frank will be good, he just needs 2-3 years. His length and defensive ability rare in a point guard. Has good vision and smarts, jumper is coming around. I think he's another Jrue Holiday in due time.

CHA and DET are the ones who should be killing themselves over passing on Mitchell.

Reaction Score

Westbrook can make a bad team ok or slightly above average. I am not convinced how much he makes a great team the best team. He just doesn't seem to have a solid grasp on game winning decisions, what helps the team the most. The fact that he even entertained Rubio is hilarious to me as well. There is no doubt that he plays hard and he cares which I admire.

Mediocre LMAOOO so prime Paul George, prime Steven Adams, and a HOFer in Melo isn’t enough to get out of the first round for Russ?

Got the best injury luck of any good team, should be at worst a 4 seed, instead ends up a 7, and you know PG ain’t sticking around for this

This isnt' true. Losing Andre Roberson is ultimately what did OKC in. They wouldn't be playing Utah in this round. Utah's been playing like a top team, maybe even a contender for months.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This isnt' true. Losing Andre Robinson is ultimately what did OKC in. They wouldn't be playing Utah in this round Utah's been playing like a top team, maybe even a contender for months.
Yeah the big fall-off from at-worst 4 seed to 7 seed is because of Robinson.

Most teams have dealt with bigger losses.

Reaction Score
I think Frank will be good, he just needs 2-3 years. His length and defensive ability rare in a point guard. Has good vision and smarts, jumper is coming around. I think he's another Jrue Holiday in due time.

CHA and DET are the ones who should be killing themselves over passing on Mitchell.
C'mon, everyone other than maybe Celtics & Mavs should be second guessing and reviewing their process over Mitchell. He's going to finish #2 in ROY and he looks as good as Simmons right now.
Who would you rather have: Fultz, Tatum, Ball, JJackson, DFox, JIsaac, The Finnisher, FrankieSmokes, DSmithJr, ZCollins, Monk, LUKE KENNARD (doh) or #13Mitchell?
Utah is in the playoffs and likely advancing with Mitchell as their #1. You can make a case for Tatum or Smith Jr. but no one else.

Reaction Score
I'm a Knicks fan but way more upset UConn didn't get him. Lives in Greenwich, went to Greenwich Country Day, Canterbury, and shared a backcourt with Jalen at Brewster. Mitchell Adams backcourt would have been amazing.

Ollie would probably still be here if that were the case lol.

Reaction Score
Westbrook can make a bad team ok or slightly above average.
Not to get off the rails here, but this is one of the reasons that I think LBJ is the greatest player ever. Guy can flat out take a bunch of scrubs and drag them to the NBA finals. Unreal. Fishy had a post back when Clev. won the second game against GS in the finals the year K. Irving went down - something that captured the awe I felt at watching him carry a team.

They don't have a stat that measures "team impact". They should. Would be a good project for a Stats major. Find a measure of the absolute talent around a guy, and then figure out his impact on that talent. My guess is that James would be the greatest ever, by a lot.

Reaction Score
C'mon, everyone other than maybe Celtics & Mavs should be second guessing and reviewing their process over Mitchell. He's going to finish #2 in ROY and he looks as good as Simmons right now.

I get that POV, but Mitchell was never a realistic pick at 8. When everyone in the draft misses that badly on a kid like Mitchell it says more about the kid (not in a bad way) than a slew of teams around the league misjudging him. Something about Mitchell's game in the pre-draft process didn't stand out; that's the only way a kid like him falls to 13. When it's one team who misses on him you can blast them, when 7-9 teams miss then I chalk it up to being a diamond in the rough.

Reaction Score
Not to get off the rails here, but this is one of the reasons that I think LBJ is the greatest player ever. Guy can flat out take a bunch of scrubs and drag them to the NBA finals. Unreal. Fishy had a post back when Clev. won the second game against GS in the finals the year K. Irving went down - something that captured the awe
Dirk should be your guy then. Taking a team of Jason Kidd at the end of his career and a few other secondary guys at the end of their careers and leading them past a team of Hall of Famers in their primes.

Reaction Score

Not sure how sarcastic you intended, so I'll assume you know 2 games separated 3-8 in the West. If you look at OKC's record and particularly defense post-Roberson the effect is legit. Without Roberson, PG is less effective on D in this series and they are vulnerable defensively at 2 spots which is part of why Melo is playing like trash. There are certainly better players missing from postseason play thus far than Roberson (Kawhi, Curry, Irving, Hayward, Cousins, stand out) but losing a key defensive player can absolutely sabotage delicate chemistry - See Houston Mhabe-Moute.

The Thunder Are Falling Apart Without Andre Roberson

Reaction Score
Not to get off the rails here, but this is one of the reasons that I think LBJ is the greatest player ever. Guy can flat out take a bunch of scrubs and drag them to the NBA finals.
Two things

Saw some stats posted yesterday comparing the top 2-6 scorers (obviously LBJ is 1) this postseason to his 07 team. The 07 supporting cast was averaging 6.5 points more per game. Unreal how bad this Cleveland team is outside of LeBron, who by the way is carrying this super-poor team in his mid 30s as opposed to his mid 20s.

Second -and let’s put the Dallas series aside for the point of argument- how many series has LeBron lost in which he was favored? Was Jordan ever not favored in the finals? And if you plug in Jordan for LBJ, do those losing teams fare any better? I don’t think Jordan carries any Cavs team, and I don’t think he does much more than LeBron did in 2014.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Who would you rather have: Fultz, Tatum, Ball, JJackson, DFox, JIsaac, The Finnisher, FrankieSmokes, DSmithJr, ZCollins, Monk, LUKE KENNARD (doh) or #13Mitchell?
Utah is in the playoffs and likely advancing with Mitchell as their #1. You can make a case for Tatum or Smith Jr. but no one else.

And yet people here thought Boston was crazy to trade down and not take Fultz. Every single draft it's the same story. People start buying into the narratives that are being spun. I certainly didn't see this coming from Mitchell, but I wasn't sold on Fultz either. It's a very inexact science.

Reaction Score
People will always put a varying degree of weight on this but I can't look past the fact that the East has been a trainwreck for 95% of LeBron's career. Getting to the Finals hasn't exactly been a gargantuan task. I forget the stat from a few years ago but I believe LeBron has only defeated seven 50-win teams in the Eastern Conference playoffs in his career. MJ defeated 14 in the East; they've both been to the postseason 13 times.

Reaction Score

It's hard for me to say that I have any idea what I am talking about when I misremembered the dude's name, but also hard to argue given how their season played out. They start out slow as the new team gels together. Then they figure it out, start playing better, go on a tear until Roberson gets hurt. Then end up getting the 5th seed. He made them an elite defense. As of this article: "OKC's other 4 starters (Westbrook, George, Anthony, Adams) are +14.8 this season per 100 possessions in net rating with Roberson on the floor. They are +1.8 without him."

Reaction Score
Two things

Saw some stats posted yesterday comparing the top 2-6 scorers (obviously LBJ is 1) this postseason to his 07 team. The 07 supporting cast was averaging 6.5 points more per game. Unreal how bad this Cleveland team is outside of LeBron, who by the way is carrying this super-poor team in his mid 30s as opposed to his mid 20s.

Second -and let’s put the Dallas series aside for the point of argument- how many series has LeBron lost in which he was favored? Was Jordan ever not favored in the finals? And if you plug in Jordan for LBJ, do those losing teams fare any better? I don’t think Jordan carries any Cavs team, and I don’t think he does much more than LeBron did in 2014.
Lebron won one series his team wasn't supposed to win and that was because Draymond Green is an idiot.

Reaction Score
Lebron won one series his team wasn't supposed to win and that was because Draymond Green is an idiot.

So he is so good that his team is expected to win most series they play in?

Reaction Score

This interesting part is this Cavs team is way, way more talented than the 2007 team. The current Cavs are playing poorly but there is so much more talent. Kevin Love, Rodney Hood, George Hill, Clarkson, Green etc. That 2007 Cavs team was terrible. They had no business winning 50 games or making the Finals; the East was that bad at that point.

Every supporting Cavs player this series is playing well below their normal level of play with the exception of maybe JR and Korver.

Reaction Score
Not sure how sarcastic you intended, so I'll assume you know 2 games separated 3-8 in the West.
Yeah all between sub-50 win teams. OKC was built to win well over 50 games as was Minnesota before Butler got hurt (speaking of an impact loss). Those two teams who should have been the 3-4 seeds win like they are supposed to, and the seeding wouldn’t be as close. Instead they end up 6 and 8.

I don’t buy that Roberson’s presence is good for 8ish wins. Not when you have those other 4.

Reaction Score
And yet people here thought Boston was crazy to trade down and not take Fultz. Every single draft it's the same story. People start buying into the narratives that are being spun. I certainly didn't see this coming from Mitchell, but I wasn't sold on Fultz either. It's a very inexact science.
From a fan perspective that's fine cuz a lot of times all we've got is what we read, whatever games we've seen and then the narrative that is in the press. I suppose you can read scouting reports, but those aren't done by teams.
I.e. Seeing nothing but highlights of Fultz at Washington I was IN as a Celtics fan early just from the public narrative, but when they changed I was happy to change with them b/c my opinion was thinly fabricated. The only guys I kinda knew (seen more than 1 game) in the draft were Tatum, Ball and Fox/Monk. I liked but didn't love Tatum, mixed on Ball (would NOT have taken him #2) and cautiously optimistic on Fox/Monk. Regardless, fans have every right to beat up teams because they have WAY more information than we do and TEAMS should reject every narrative in the press unless its one the team helped spin (i.e. Celtics to flip from Fultz to Tatum).

Conclusion: Understanding the draft is a gambit, Fans can still fairly evaluate their teams draft based on how the player plays! Just because a guy wasn't projected to be picked higher or lower doesn't acquit a team from not evaluating him properly.

Reaction Score
Yeah all between sub-50 win teams. OKC was built to win well over 50 games as was Minnesota before Butler got hurt (speaking of an impact loss). Those two teams who should have been the 3-4 seeds win like they are supposed to, and the seeding wouldn’t be as close. Instead they end up 6 and 8.

I don’t buy that Roberson’s presence is good for 8ish wins. Not when you have those other 4.

Yeah and Roberson's absence has no impact on their offensive woes.

Still cracks me up thinking back to last summer when a huge chunk of people talked about how Presti deserved Exec of the Year before the season even tipped off.

Reaction Score

Yeah, 8ish regular season wins is too high, but its all about playoffs now. Look at Carmelo's stats for this year, then you can adjust your expectations for his 16ppg, 40% shooting, 2.5FTA, 5.8 boards, 1.3 assists, 1.3 TO's. You just can't include that within the top 4 of any non-washed collection of players. Roberson loss hurts worse now b/c they can't hide Carmelo on D & playing Corey Brewer etc in his stead.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I'll put Markkanen in with Tatum and Smith Jr. He put up good numbers on a tanking Bulls team. He's got a better paint game offensively than he showed in college and his defense is good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom