NBA Discussion 2016/2017 | Page 17 | The Boneyard

NBA Discussion 2016/2017

Reaction Score
After becoming a very bad player because of 3 off games, Kemba has become a very good player again after scoring 29 tonight in a losing effort.

Unfortunately there isn't really any denying that he plays for a bad team which seems to be trending down. Would be cool to see Kemba end up on a competitor someday.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Looks like an injured Rudy will be stuck in Sac purgatory, I hope they dont play a role in ending a career early.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Guess the Celtics really didn't want Boogie - they could've put together a better package without breaking a sweat.

Also, NO need a SG real bad now, and our old friend Ben Gordon is tearing up the d-league...

Reaction Score
Guess the Celtics really didn't want Boogie - they could've put together a better package without breaking a sweat.

Also, NO need a SG real bad now, and our old friend Ben Gordon is tearing up the d-league...
Is he tearing it up? Obviously I've seen that he's back in the D League but I never actually looked to see how well he was doing

Reaction Score
Wonder if there is anything to the Otto Porter/LAC rumors. He's the type of player that could take that team to the next level, but I can't imagine why Washington would want to make him available.

50+ games in, things are starting to get very interesting. The title race still seems like a formality, but there are some story lines that intrigue me as a casual NBA fan.

One, the East is wide open - you look at Detroit in the eight spot and you wonder if they could beat a team like Boston in the first round. When you're #2 seed has a +2.8 point differential (and Cleveland is only +5.4), that means it's a really weak conference. I don't exempt Cleveland from this, either. I think they're more vulnerable than people think, and while I wouldn't pick Toronto to beat them, but you could have a series there. Washington looks dangerous and even Atlanta is intriguing.

I'm fascinated by the Cousins trade. Cousins would have fit much better in Boston, IMO. He can work with Davis just because they're both amazing players, but it isn't optimal. Seems like they're building a team to win the 1974 title. You'd much rather pair Davis with a perimeter guy and play him as a pick and pop killer. Somebody like Paul George would have fit much better, IMO. They'll probably be just good enough to win one game against Golden State in the playoffs, but who knows how these things play out.

San Antonio lurks, as always. I think Patty Mills needs more minutes, but their front court is built - unlike New Orleans - to dictate the tenor of the game on both ends. The Clippers still carry the cache of a contender to me, even if everything points against that - they've rarely been whole over the last two years, and the last time they were, they were a Falcons-like choke job from the conference finals (same sort of thing happened against OKC the previous year). Houston feels gimmicky to me but they'll still be fun to watch, and this Jazz team should be fun to check out when I get around to realizing they exist.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Boogie was not a need in Boston, especially with his locker room attitude.

Reaction Score
He definitely fills a need, but Ainge didn't feel he was worth the risk. The Celtics desperately need frontcourt help, though.

Reaction Score
Wonder if there is anything to the Otto Porter/LAC rumors. He's the type of player that could take that team to the next level, but I can't imagine why Washington would want to make him available.

50+ games in, things are starting to get very interesting. The title race still seems like a formality, but there are some story lines that intrigue me as a casual NBA fan.

One, the East is wide open - you look at Detroit in the eight spot and you wonder if they could beat a team like Boston in the first round. When you're #2 seed has a +2.8 point differential (and Cleveland is only +5.4), that means it's a really weak conference. I don't exempt Cleveland from this, either. I think they're more vulnerable than people think, and while I wouldn't pick Toronto to beat them, but you could have a series there. Washington looks dangerous and even Atlanta is intriguing.

I'm fascinated by the Cousins trade. Cousins would have fit much better in Boston, IMO. He can work with Davis just because they're both amazing players, but it isn't optimal. Seems like they're building a team to win the 1974 title. You'd much rather pair Davis with a perimeter guy and play him as a pick and pop killer. Somebody like Paul George would have fit much better, IMO. They'll probably be just good enough to win one game against Golden State in the playoffs, but who knows how these things play out.

San Antonio lurks, as always. I think Patty Mills needs more minutes, but their front court is built - unlike New Orleans - to dictate the tenor of the game on both ends. The Clippers still carry the cache of a contender to me, even if everything points against that - they've rarely been whole over the last two years, and the last time they were, they were a Falcons-like choke job from the conference finals (same sort of thing happened against OKC the previous year). Houston feels gimmicky to me but they'll still be fun to watch, and this Jazz team should be fun to check out when I get around to realizing they exist.

I believe I heard Lowe talking about Porter to the Clippers. He said the GM of the Wizards dropped the phone when asked about Otto. Tough to see the Clippers picking up a 3 who moves the needle unless they unload Blake, an idea I actually like. If they can get 2 of Bradley, Smart, Brown or Crowder, plus the Nets pick, I like the move for both teams. They can't compete with the Clippers with the current construction. Might as well go with a pNr offense with CP3 and Jordan and spread the floor with 3 and D wings. I'm not exactly sure how the Celtics would fit in Blake but Stevens would find a way to maximize his high-level individual abilities. Blake is actually the best playmaker out of himself, George and Butler and would allow IT to remain the go-to scorer.

I am excited for the deadline and hope that chaos ensues but it typically underwhelms. I do have curiosity to see how the Raptors and Pelicans play in the 2nd half but barring an injury Lebron, but like you said, I can't see a way to any series besides Cavaliers/Warriors.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
This trade tells me Ainge did his usual "throw shhh offers at them and hope they stick" technique. No, it didn't work.

Reaction Score
I believe I heard Lowe talking about Porter to the Clippers. He said the GM of the Wizards dropped the phone when asked about Otto. Tough to see the Clippers picking up a 3 who moves the needle unless they unload Blake, an idea I actually like. If they can get 2 of Bradley, Smart, Brown or Crowder, plus the Nets pick, I like the move for both teams. They can't compete with the Clippers with the current construction. Might as well go with a pNr offense with CP3 and Jordan and spread the floor with 3 and D wings. I'm not exactly sure how the Celtics would fit in Blake but Stevens would find a way to maximize his high-level individual abilities. Blake is actually the best playmaker out of himself, George and Butler and would allow IT to remain the go-to scorer.

I am excited for the deadline and hope that chaos ensues but it typically underwhelms. I do have curiosity to see how the Raptors and Pelicans play in the 2nd half but barring an injury Lebron, but like you said, I can't see a way to any series besides Cavaliers/Warriors.
0% chance Ainge offers that package for Griffin.

I'm actually a bigger Griffins fan than most, but doesn't really fit as well with Horford on the roster. And even if he stays healthy, he isn't really good enough to get them past Cleveland.

Reaction Score
0% chance Ainge offers that package for Griffin.

I'm actually a bigger Griffins fan than most, but doesn't really fit as well with Horford on the roster. And even if he stays healthy, he isn't really good enough to get them past Cleveland.

I think Blake and Horford fit well. That's the benefit of Horford IMO - he can fit well with a variety of different skill sets. He has earned a reputation of having one the best mid-range jumpers among bigs and has stretched his range to the 3 point line. Blake's flaw is obvious - he doesn't have a 3 pointer, but he is a great playmaker and while I don't know the best utilization of the pair, I have confidence that Stevens would find it.

Boston needs to make a move eventually, even if the move doesn't push them past the Cavs. No realistic move is going to elevate any Eastern Conference team to the #1 spot. But you can't just waste for Lebron to decline. Top tier free agents have very little incentive to move when they will sacrifice 30 mil so a trade is the only real option. The Celtics have a lot of assets but they depreciate by the day. And I like the Griffin/Horford fit more than I like the IT/Butler or IT/George fits simply because all those guys thrive in ISO situations. I'm sure there are much smarter NBA guys than myself who wholeheartedly disagree but this is just my opinion.

The pick doesn't need to be the '18 pick. Could Bradley, Brown and the '19 pick get it done? The Clippers would remain in the upper echelon of the West with Deandre and CP3 and a good supporting cast and would very likely have a top 3 pick in '19 since the Nets have the worst roster in the League. This allows them to remain relevant in the near term which is important with an aging CP3, and they would have a crack at drafting a franchise player in '19. The Celtics would have a great core of IT, Jae, Blake, Horford and Smart to go along with likely Fultz or Ball, who both look like future stars.

Reaction Score
But you can't just waste for Lebron to decline.
Seriously. You make your team as good as you can without mortgaging your future, and you see what luck falls your way. The Cavs this year are vulnerable with their injuries, and LeBron isn't young. It's quite possible he'll get hurt one year--and then you capitalize.

Reaction Score
You guys are overstating the Cavs' vulnerability - they've been on cruise control this season, and they still have a nice cushion for the 1 seed.

Obviously a longer term injury can change things, but is it really worth giving up assets to beat the Cavs, only to get waxed by the Warriors? I'm not so sure.

Reaction Score
You guys are overstating the Cavs' vulnerability - they've been on cruise control this season, and they still have a nice cushion for the 1 seed.

Obviously a longer term injury can change things, but is it really worth giving up assets to beat the Cavs, only to get waxed by the Warriors? I'm not so sure.

This I agree with. As long as they have LeBron, they are the prohibitive favorite in the East. And LeBron has been injured a total of 0 time in what, 12 years?

But don't you think they should make a trade? What do you want to see? They are in such good shape that they could roll the dice with this roster and load up with 2 top 3 picks the next 2 years. The only likely casualty would be Bradley. And they could have near max space this summer, if they stretch Olynyk, I believe. It just gets back to the free agency quandary. They are so well positioned (thanks Nets and Ainge) that's it difficult to see them falling out of the top 4 in the East in the next 3 to 4 years.

Reaction Score
This I agree with. As long as they have LeBron, they are the prohibitive favorite in the East. And LeBron has been injured a total of 0 time in what, 12 years?

But don't you think they should make a trade? What do you want to see? They are in such good shape that they could roll the dice with this roster and load up with 2 top 3 picks the next 2 years. The only likely casualty would be Bradley. And they could have near max space this summer, if they stretch Olynyk, I believe. It just gets back to the free agency quandary. They are so well positioned (thanks Nets and Ainge) that's it difficult to see them falling out of the top 4 in the East in the next 3 to 4 years.
Of course I'd love to see them make a move. If the price for George or Butler (preferably George) comes way down, I'm all for it. Not only does he take them up a notch, but he's only 26 so they wouldn't be mortgaging the future at all. Realistically though, they end up plugging some holes with minor moves (Bogut at center, for instance).

But I don't want to see them fall into the trap of making a trade just because it feels like they're close. The Celts are in position to be be good for 5+ years, and they still have plenty of untapped potential coming their way. Jaylen Brown, the two Euros who are getting rave reviews, the Brooklyn pick, even Rozier and Smart - unless a no-brainer trade comes along, I'm fine with seeing how all these guys pan out.

They might be players for a guy like Hayward in the offseason, but they also need to start locking up some of their own talent soon - namely IT and Bradley, if they choose to keep him. Another reason to hold onto your young players is to have a steady pipeline of talent for cheap, which will allow them to keep the players they want without breaking a sweat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

gut feeling is drummond will be moved by the deadline, I haven't been the biggest fan of his on court progression but man is the master of panic really getting screwey here. SVG must be doing everything he can to off RJ and AD ,what if he is unable to?

Reaction Score

gut feeling is drummond will be moved by the deadline, I haven't been the biggest fan of his on court progression but man is the master of panic really getting screwey here. SVG must be doing everything he can to off RJ and AD ,what if he is unable to?

Get him to the C's, they'd be right up with the Cavs if they do so.

Reaction Score

I know we love our social media "following" rumors so much.

*Apparently* Andre unfollowed the Pistons on Insta and Twitter. Not sure if this is actually true because I don't have a Twitter and don't necessarily feel like creeping on Instagram, but that could possibly be something to think about

Also, he re-tweeted Isaiah Thomas' eye emoji tweet this morning and then tweeted the same tweet himself. Don't look too much into it obviously, just relaying some info.

Reaction Score
Not remotely sold on Jaylen Brown becoming much in this league. Didn't like the pick at all. Zizic reviews are great, French Draymond Green so-so and they have 2 Nets picks, definite top 3 this year and likely lottery next

They really can stand pat and wait out Cavs for next 2-3 and be good for 5+

If they want to win now then make a move or 2

But I don't want to see them fall into the trap of making a trade just because it feels like they're close. The Celts are in position to be be good for 5+ years, and they still have plenty of untapped potential coming their way. Jaylen Brown, the two Euros who are getting rave reviews, the Brooklyn pick, even Rozier and Smart - unless a no-brainer trade comes along, I'm fine with seeing how all these guys pan out.

They might be players for a guy like Hayward in the offseason, but they also need to start locking up some of their own talent soon - namely IT and Bradley, if they choose to keep him. Another reason to hold onto your young players is to have a steady pipeline of talent for cheap, which will allow them to keep the players they want without breaking a sweat.

BUConn10

Reaction Score
Celtics blow it again by letting another trade deadline pass.

Despite having the best odds at the #1 pick in this loaded draft, I have a feeling they won't do better than 3rd in this lottery, and will get jumped by the Lakers for the 3rd straight draft lottery. They should have made that trade for PG work with Indy. Ainge is too cheap.

Reaction Score
Celtics blow it again by letting another trade deadline pass.

Despite having the best odds at the #1 pick in this loaded draft, I have a feeling they won't do better than 3rd in this lottery, and will get jumped by the Lakers for the 3rd straight draft lottery. They should have made that trade for PG work with Indy. Ainge is too cheap.
These types of comclusions are absurd when you don't know what was or wasn't offered.

They're just reports, but Indy supposedly wanted 3/4 of Crowder, Brown, Bradley, and Smart in addition to the '17 Brooklyn 1st. And supposedly there's no guarantee George would sign a long-term deal.

That's a steep price to pay for a guy who doesn't make you better than Cleveland, nevermind Golden State.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I'm starting to worry 'Dre has quit on SVG.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom