National sentiment | Page 11 | The Boneyard

National sentiment

B12

Reaction Score
Big East. No doubt about it
I don't think most people outside the Northeast could even tell you what town some of the Big East schools are in if you told them the name.

UCF or Houston are more popular and well known than any Big East school aside from UConn IMO due to the football success. Is Dana Holgerson higher profile than any Big East coach, IMO yes. Charlie Strong, yes.

Religious schools are just not that popular.

What is your knowledge of the West Coast Conference verus the Mountain West? It's a similar situation IMO.

B12

Reaction Score
I can only go by sports fans I interact with and nobody knows anything about the AAC. My friends from Houston only know about it because I always have to tell them UConn is actually in the same conference as Houston. From what I've seen people in Houston don't give a s*** about the University of Houston, same goes for Tulane and people in New Orleans.
TV ratings for Houston indicate otherwise.

OU playing Houston to start the season is fun, OU playing any Big East school to start the season is not to put it in perspective. Most of the country does not care much about college BB aside from a week in March. Houston is well known in the region for all the coaches it produced. And has likely has had a lot more TV viewers the last few years than Big East schools.

As I asked the other poster what is your knowledge of the WCC? Name all the teams? Know where they are located? What about the Mountain West.

I'd venture to say the Mountain West is 10x more known than the WCC. Boise a bigger deal than Gonzaga. And beyond Gonzaga and possibly BYU nobdy even knows who is in the WCC. Conference where hundreds watch womens BB games, like St Johns in the NBE.

Reaction Score

OU playing Houston to start the season is fun, OU playing any Big East school to start the season is not to put it in perspective. Most of the country does not care much about college BB aside from a week in March. Houston is well known in the region for all the coaches it produced. And has likely has had a lot more TV viewers the last few years than Big East schools.

As I asked the other poster what is your knowledge of the WCC? Name all the teams? Know where they are located? What about the Mountain West.

I'd venture to say the Mountain West is 10x more known than the WCC. Boise a bigger deal than Gonzaga. And beyond Gonzaga and possibly BYU nobdy even knows who is in the WCC. Conference where hundreds watch womens BB games, like St Johns in the NBE.
I get it, you don't care about basketball, good for you.

Why have you showed up here this week to talk about the monetary value of Big 12 schools? It's really weird.

B12

Reaction Score
I get it, you don't care about basketball, good for you.

Why have you showed up here this week to talk about the monetary value of Big 12 schools? It's really weird.
Nope. Not even talking about the Big 12. Just talking realignment. Sharing national opinions of conferences. How recognizable teams are. That a problem?

I like BB just fine but I think you will find that most of the country does not pay as much attention to it compared to FB. Regional thing. Some states and areas are just BB crazy, and vice versa, and some not any college sports at all.

Now your turn.

Reaction Score
Total BS.

Some of you have no vision. Basic business.
Power 5 invites will be driven by money not just athletic skills of a team. IF UConn becomes popular in New York City I suspect B10 and ACC would be interested.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Football was a failed experiment. We tried it and it failed in the grand scheme of things. The AAC being the original big east has ZERO to do with anything I said. We stayed instead of leaving with the catholic 7 because o football.
The three remaining football programs wanted to remain in the BE but the C7 (other than Georgetown) voted to leave the BE fearing any new CR could end up with the three remaining football schools bolting. The three football schools retained the BE conference name but sold it to the C7 for $.

Point is we are heading back to the group that divorced us. The spurned wife now believes our football team is impotent and can no longer find another woman so they are taking us back. This is a huge win (with no downside) for those schools who, although it’s understandable, played a role in hurting our bb program.

This is probably (because no one can predict future events) a mixed win for UConn. Recruiting should get an uptick although I’m not as convinced as many in this forum. Not with all the cheating and no NCAA resolve to deal with it.

The big win is the excitement in the men’s bb fan base . That shouldn’t be discounted.

However if UConn does not do well and quickly in the BE the fans will abandon bb in droves because the vast majority of today’s fans started watching the sport at the start or sometime after JC’s coaching era. And I fear another let down particularly after getting fans hopes up will result in a potentially catastrophic reaction towards the program. Coach Hurley will have a lot of pressure to succeed and fans will not accept any excuses if he doesn’t.

Reaction Score

This isn't really breaking news. Football is more popular than basketball nationally. Perhaps if we keep getting Alabama-Clemson Part 8: Jason Takes Birmingham people will wake up and realize how boring it's getting.

B12

Reaction Score
This isn't really breaking news. Football is more popular than basketball nationally. Perhaps if we keep getting Alabama-Clemson Part 8: Jason Takes Birmingham people will wake up and realize how boring it's getting.
We aren't talking Bama Clemson here. Are St Marys and Pacific as well known as Fresno St and UNLV? That is all. Trying to give you guys some perspective from the other coast as although there are differences there are some similarities to the WCC and NBE. There are also some similarities in the MW and AAC.

Schools like Houston also have BB history, same with Memphis, Cinci etc.. so we have to keep that in mind as well when comparing them to NBE schools.

Reaction Score
We aren't talking Bama Clemson here. Are St Marys and Pacific as well known as Fresno St and UNLV? That is all. Trying to give you guys some perspective from the other coast as although there are differences there are some similarities to the WCC and NBE. There are also some similarities in the MW and AAC.

Schools like Houston also have BB history, same with Memphis, Cinci etc.. so we have to keep that in mind as well when comparing them to NBE schools.

I have no idea who is more well known between Pacific and Fresno nor do I care.

UConn is a 4 time national champion in men's basketball and it's not about to let that go down the tubes to be something it's not.

B12

Reaction Score
I have no idea who is more well known between Pacific and Fresno nor do I care.

UConn is a 4 time national champion in men's basketball and it's not about to let that go down the tubes to be something it's not.
This conversation that you jumped in the middle of was discussing how well known the AAC teams are compared to NBE. Try to stay on topic. Has nothing to do with UConn BB championships.

That is why I asked about the WCC vs MW as they are similar. And I take it you have no idea on the WCC teams.

Reaction Score
This conversation that you jumped in the middle of was discussing how well known the AAC teams are compared to NBE. Try to stay on topic. Has nothing to do with UConn BB championships.

That is why I asked about the WCC vs MW as they are similar. And I take it you have no idea on the WCC teams.

I know Gonzaga and Loyola Marymount because they were the bomb when I was in middle school. The MW I know is Boise and....no idea.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nope. Not even talking about the Big 12. Just talking realignment. Sharing national opinions of conferences. How recognizable teams are. That a problem?

I like BB just fine but I think you will find that most of the country does not pay as much attention to it compared to FB. Regional thing. Some states and areas are just BB crazy, and vice versa, and some not any college sports at all.

Now your turn.

What I know is the Red Sox, Yankees, Patriots, Giants, Eagles. We can all play name that tune. College football is a weak sister to professional sports in the northeast.

Nationwide college football has a big leg up on college bb. Will that trend continue. Most likely but not absolutely. It’s in the driver seat now but the future is always a blank slate. Under the current circumstances Uconn’s Chances in landing with a P5 given the state of it’s football program were slim at best. It got smaller with this move but that is relative.

As much as I would have preferred a different outcome (UConn all sports fan) I can live with this decision.

The majority of posters in this forum understand CR. A few blame all their fandom misery on UConn football. I think that’s an over simplistic scapegoating. But coming here with the need to lecture us about CR at a time when we prefer to feel excited about the potential positive outcome for the program this forum is dedicated is poor taste imo.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Football was a failed experiment. We tried it and it failed in the grand scheme of things. The AAC being the original big east has ZERO to do with anything I said. We stayed instead of leaving with the catholic 7 because o football.

And nearly landed in the ACC. For the second time. That’s not a failed experiment. That’s a failure to execute on what was clearly the right idea. Make no mistake, however excited people are for the Big East, landing there is a failure. It’s a big step back from what UConn could and should be.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Now your turn.

You don’t have any better view of “national” opinion than people in CT do. You just have different biases. College basketball is very popular in some of the largest population centers in the country. Less so in the Deep South, but it sure does pretty well in Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri, North Carolina. I went to Kansas law school, from UConn and there was nobody who didn’t know UConn. And that was 1991, before any title.

I watched the 1999 NC game by myself in NoCal, because nobody there gives a damn about college hoops. I don’t think they care about college football either, except the Stanford-Cal game.

Reaction Score
I don't think most people outside the Northeast could even tell you what town some of the Big East schools are in if you told them the name.

UCF or Houston are more popular and well known than any Big East school aside from UConn IMO due to the football success. Is Dana Holgerson higher profile than any Big East coach, IMO yes. Charlie Strong, yes.

Religious schools are just not that popular.

What is your knowledge of the West Coast Conference verus the Mountain West? It's a similar situation IMO.
MWC has SDSU Boise St but i’m kinda stumped after that. WCC has Zag, Pepperdine, Saint Mary’s, San Fran

Reaction Score

You're talking about a league that has both Gonzaga and BYU, which are bigger names in basketball than anyone in the MWC. Stop being a chode.

B12

Reaction Score
You're talking about a league that has both Gonzaga and BYU, which are bigger names in basketball than anyone in the MWC. Stop being a chode.
I asked a simple question and get called names. Hilarious. I think MW schools are more sell known than WCC schools.

Boise is more popular than Gonzaga by far.

Notice you could not name any schools beyond those 2. I think that is how most of the country perceive the NBE.

B12

Reaction Score
MWC has SDSU Boise St but i’m kinda stumped after that. WCC has Zag, Pepperdine, Saint Mary’s, San Fran
Interesting. I think more people know about UNLV than San Fran for example. More people know Colorado State University than Saint Marys. Just hard to compare little bible schools in the WCC to huge state flagship schools who have football programs in the MW.

I doubt most people even know where Pepperdine is located let alone follow what they do as sports center never mentions the WCC beyond Ganzaga.

Reaction Score
Interesting. I think more people know about UNLV than San Fran for example. More people know Colorado State University than Saint Marys. Just hard to compare little bible schools in the WCC to huge state flagship schools who have football programs in the MW.

I doubt most people even know where Pepperdine is located let alone follow what they do as sports center never mentions the WCC beyond Ganzaga.
isn’t pepperdine in malibu?

Reaction Score
We were chosen for the ACC ahead of Louisville and I believe Pitt but BC blocked us

I thought it was a majority vote and the football schools (FSU, Clemson, Miami) plus and bitter ex-BE schools didn't want us. Being more attractive to the football schools could have made BC and Syracuse's sour grapes irrelevant.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I asked a simple question and get called names. Hilarious. I think MW schools are more sell known than WCC schools.

Notice you could not name any schools beyond those 2. I think that is how most of the country perceive the NBE.
There is a literally an abysmal divide (to which there is no bottom) in the fan base of the UConn institution. Those who only like UConn basketball blame the football program for virtually all of the basketball programs' misfortunes, post-January 2015. Heck, Jalen Adams hit a 75 foot shot despite Bobby Puyol missing 5 FG's that year. Fan bases of most universities embrace the entire athletic department. If they don't, they at the very least keep their trap shut. They don't openly lobby against other programs within their own athletic department.

In my experience, ALL UConn football fans support the basketball programs. In 42 years, I have never come across a single football-only UConn fan. Think about it. If they do exist, they would have been born in the early/mid-90's, growing up when the football team was going to bowls, culminating with the Fiesta Bowl in 2011. What was UConn's basketball record then? Two National Championships, three Final Fours, and soon to be one more of each. Yup, I could see how a "football-only" fan would dislike a basketball program like that. The only way that happens is if someone hates the sport of basketball.

What fan of UConn hates basketball? If you are not a UConn basketball fan, you are not a UConn fan. simple as that. There is no logic to the basketball-only argument.

Reaction Score

This is just a really poor attempt at a hot-take I hope. You are taking your own perceptions and personifying them onto already well known east coast west coast biases some people have and then attempting to work that into a super specific asinine point.

Reaction Score

Like Brady in the Superbowl?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
There is a literally an abysmal divide (to which there is no bottom) in the fan base of the UConn institution. Those who only like UConn basketball blame the football program for virtually all of the basketball programs' misfortunes, post-January 2015. Heck, Jalen Adams hit a 75 foot shot despite Bobby Puyol missing 5 FG's that year. Fan bases of most universities embrace the entire athletic department. If they don't, they at the very least keep their trap shut. They don't openly lobby against other programs within their own athletic department.

In my experience, ALL UConn football fans support the basketball programs. In 42 years, I have never come across a single football-only UConn fan. Think about it. If they do exist, they would have been born in the early/mid-90's, growing up when the football team was going to bowls, culminating with the Fiesta Bowl in 2011. What was UConn's basketball record then? Two National Championships, three Final Fours, and soon to be one more of each. Yup, I could see how a "football-only" fan would dislike a basketball program like that. The only way that happens is if someone hates the sport of basketball.

What fan of UConn hates basketball? If you are not a UConn basketball fan, you are not a UConn fan. simple as that. There is no logic to the basketball-only argument.

There are probably some people that don't like basketball that are UConn football fans, but one thing I know for sure is that I've seen a bunch of people starting on Saturday on the men's basketball board that I've never seen on this board, so that tells me that they probably don't care all that much about the basketball team.

And let's be fair here; there's no need for hyperbole by saying that all the basketball-only fans blame football for everything. Some do, but many of us are realistic and understand that KO was a big factor as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom