National sentiment | Page 12 | The Boneyard

National sentiment

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There are probably some people that don't like basketball that are UConn football fans, but one thing I know for sure is that I've seen a bunch of people starting on Saturday on the men's basketball board that I've never seen on this board, so that tells me that they probably don't care all that much about the basketball team.
Which just means they've kept their trap shut.

And let's be fair here; there's no need for hyperbole by saying that all the basketball-only fans blame football for everything. Some do, but many of us are realistic and understand that KO was a big factor as well.

It's not hyperbole. Football and conference (i.e. indirect factors) are considered bigger impediments to basketball than recruiting (maybe a slight effect), development (None), and retention (None).

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Which just means they've kept their trap shut.

I'm not sure what you mean by this?

It's not hyperbole. Football and conference (i.e. indirect factors) are considered bigger impediments to basketball than recruiting (maybe a slight effect), development (None), and retention (None).

It is definitely hyperbole. You said the basketball-only fans blame football for virtually all of the basketball programs' misfortunes. If you spent five minutes on this board you would know that the overwhelming majority blame Kevin Ollie for the program's troubles the past few years. The football program and conference affiliation had nothing to do with Kevin Ollie.

I guarantee you that nobody here believes KO would have been a great coach if only we were in a P5 conference. The main factor affected by the conference affiliation (and therefore, what most basketball-only fans blame football for) is the recruiting.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what you mean by this?

It is definitely hyperbole. You said the basketball-only fans blame football for virtually all of the basketball programs' misfortunes. If you spent five minutes on this board you would know that the overwhelming majority blame Kevin Ollie for the program's troubles the past few years. The football program and conference affiliation had nothing to do with Kevin Ollie.

I guarantee you that nobody here believes KO would have been a great coach if only we were in a P5 conference. The main factor affected by the conference affiliation (and therefore, what most basketball-only fans blame football for) is the recruiting.
Look at my post count and content. You and I (and IT) both know I spend more time than I should across all forums of The Boneyard.

Now go back to page 7 of this thread. This is exactly what two posters in particular and more than few others (including some lurkers who do not post.) believe.

It does not matter now. The basketball-onlys got their wish. UConn accepted the New Big East's invite and still do not guarantee games vs. BC, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville or Rutgers. Let's see what stones AD Dave has left in salvaging football. My thought on independence is if it were such the way to go, why aren't there more? Of the independents, only three really matter and one is because they are an armed service academy.

I wrote on Page 8 of this thread: "We'll see how football Independence works out. I have a feeling not too well. Obviously, they can set up scheduling alliances and I've read some longshot scenarios here and on Twitter that are just that. One posited that ESPN overplayed their hand with the ESPN+ arrangement, but they desperately want the UConn product and will force them on the ACC in 2025. That doesn't seem likely to me, but neither did this."

Being an alum, but having no real influence with the program other than ticket purchases, I'm forced to take a wait and see approach. Nothing else can be done.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Look at my post count and content. You and I (and IT) both know I spend more time than I should across all forums of The Boneyard.

Now go back to page 7 of this thread. This is exactly what two posters in particular and more than few others (including some lurkers who do not post.) believe.

It does not matter now. The basketball-onlys got their wish. UConn accepted the New Big East's invite and still do not guarantee games vs. BC, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville or Rutgers. Let's see what stones AD Dave has left in salvaging football. My thought on independence is if it were such the way to go, why aren't there more? Of the independents, only three really matter and one is because they are an armed service academy.

I wrote on Page 8 of this thread: "We'll see how football Independence works out. I have a feeling not too well. Obviously, they can set up scheduling alliances and I've read some longshot scenarios here and on Twitter that are just that. One posited that ESPN overplayed their hand with the ESPN+ arrangement, but they desperately want the UConn product and will force them on the ACC in 2025. That doesn't seem likely to me, but neither did this."

Being an alum, but having no real influence with the program other than ticket purchases, I'm forced to take a wait and see approach. Nothing else can be done.

The only problem I have with what you said is your blanket statement about what the basketball-only fans believe. I know some of them blame football for everything, but it's not anywhere near a majority. Any sane UConn basketball fan knows KO is a huge part of our downfall. For that reason alone it can't all be put on football.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The only problem I have with what you said is your blanket statement about what the basketball-only fans believe. I know some of them blame football for everything, but it's not anywhere near a majority. Any sane UConn basketball fan knows KO is a huge part of our downfall. For that reason alone it can't all be put on football.
You have to dig just a little under the surface, but when it comes down to it, I fail to find a legitimate reason why basketball-onlys exist in the first place?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You have to dig just a little under the surface, but when it comes down to it, I fail to find a legitimate reason why basketball-onlys exist in the first place?

Now you're legislating peoples' fandom? Give me a break.

People can be fans of whomever they want. You can choose to wag your finger all you want, I don't think any of us basketball only fans are going to care.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Now you're legislating peoples' fandom? Give me a break.

People can be fans of whomever they want. You can choose to wag your finger all you want, I don't think any of us basketball only fans are going to care.

Oh, that's rich. I didn't say that and you shouldn't be so touchy, but rich nonetheless.

I'm a fan of the school's athletics and want what is best for the department as a whole. I don't particularly follow WBB, volleyball, or the soccer teams, but I do not actively campaign for their demise either. The active campaigning for a Big East invite on social media, whether it is on this site or elsewhere, knowing full well they did not sponsor football and without a viable plan for the football program leads to the program's failure.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn can become a Villanova...

They can not become a Virginia or Duke.

Or Michigan State or other all sports program.

Basketball may prosper in the BE...and fans will squint and, through misty eyes, see Marquette, St. Johns, Seton Hall, et al as the beloved old home place.

There is something to be said for being a Villanova....but still a different world from Duke or Michigan State.

And, someday, it may be Memphis, UCF, or Houston moving into that different world.
Actually your comment re Memphis, UCF and Houston is very perceptive. The AAC has a very limited future.. Another reason to jump while the going is reasonably good.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Oh, that's rich. I didn't say that and you you shouldn't be so touchy, but rich nonetheless.

I'm a fan of the school's athletics and want what is best for the department as a whole. I don't particularly follow WBB, volleyball, or the soccer teams, but I do not actively campaign for their demise either. The active campaigning for a Big East invite on social media, whether it is on this site or elsewhere, knowing full well they did not sponsor football and without a viable plan for the football program leads to the program's failure.

If UConn football was in the SEC, and due to circumstances completely out of their control was forced to leave and join the MAC, don't you think football fans would be bitter about that?

Reaction Score
They couldn't sustain football outside the BE, but they'll also need to explain why Tempe could. That's the big disconnect here. Temple football used to be a big joke on this board. One can only conclude that Temple's administration is much better than UConn's. What other explanations do people have for Temple doing what UConn couldn't do?

Also, it is pretty evident that people around the country don't realize that UConn actually competed in the old BE and had much better football than this. It once had 24 players in the NFL, which far surpassed most of the P5. I'm sure people like Joe Moorehead knew all about the school's ceiling, its problems, the difficulties of recruiting and being paid, but these coaches also knew about the games they won and the players they developed. So, sure Iowa St, Baylor, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Indiana, Virginia, South Carolina, fans may look down and laugh at what UConn football has become, but they all took losses to UConn and they got as good as they gave.

Actually Temple lacks one thing that UCONN has. I don’t think most of us realize half badly Blumenthals lawsuits against Syracuse and Boston College hurst UCONN. The basketball coaches at Duke and North Carolina are believed to have lobbied heavily for UCONN but the hard feelings caused by our lawsuits turned others off.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If UConn football was in the SEC, and due to circumstances completely out of their control was forced to leave and join the MAC, don't you think football fans would be bitter about that?
Let's at least make it Fujis vs. Golden Delicious. I wouldn't be angling to get back into the SEC if Ala, Aub., LSU, and Fla. went to the Big 12, Vandy to the ACC and they dropped basketball.

Reaction Score
Actually Temple lacks one thing that UCONN has. I don’t think most of us realize half badly Blumenthals lawsuits against Syracuse and Boston College hurst UCONN. The basketball coaches at Duke and North Carolina are believed to have lobbied heavily for UCONN but the hard feelings caused by our lawsuits turned others off.

There's another thread on those lawsuits. It goes into depth about the fact that the Presidents and honchos at Notre Dame, Pitt, BC and Syracuse called each other liars, cheaters, hypocrites, connivers, and a couple of these schools also participated in the lawsuit.

Hard feelings? I wish our President had called them putas. That would have been the ticket to an invitation, apparently.

Reaction Score
And nearly landed in the ACC. For the second time. That’s not a failed experiment. That’s a failure to execute on what was clearly the right idea. Make no mistake, however excited people are for the Big East, landing there is a failure. It’s a big step back from what UConn could and should be.
You’re hung up on why it failed. I don’t care why it failed, it just did. If your reasoning is lack of execution. Fine. It was still a failed experiment. Football in the northeast as a whole as been a massive failure. This isn’t synonymous to UConn

Reaction Score

Blumenthal never sued Syracuse. Otherwise your on the mark.

Reaction Score
Nope. Not even talking about the Big 12. Just talking realignment. Sharing national opinions of conferences. How recognizable teams are. That a problem?

I like BB just fine but I think you will find that most of the country does not pay as much attention to it compared to FB. Regional thing. Some states and areas are just BB crazy, and vice versa, and some not any college sports at all.

Now your turn.

As I asked the other poster what is your knowledge of the WCC? Name all the teams? Know where they are located? What about the Mountain West.
Why are you bringing up the Mountain West? About 1 in 5 Americans live within 300 miles of NYC. About 1 in 67 within 300 miles of Salt Lake City

Reaction Score
UConn football / athletics is a metaphor for the state of Connecticut. It's small, broke, dying + apathetic. An old decrepit Hartford Civic Center. A soon to be empty + unused football stadium, a closed 14K seat tennis stadium in New haven, plus minor league baseball park in Bridgeport out of business. Not to mention 3 closed Jai-a-lai frontons. UConn athletics is just another victim. In reality Connecticut is a bad sports state !

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
UConn athletics is just another victim. In reality Connecticut is a bad sports state !
I take it I won't see you at the Hartford Athletic game on Friday?

Reaction Score
Ironically... Caring about football at UConn would have elevated Basketball (ACC).

Without the former, the latter is relegated.

If Benedict could've figured this out, every single issue UConn has would've turned completely around.

The school needs fewer T-shirt fans and more actual stakeholders.

bJMs3Wk.jpg
Cr.ap!

Reaction Score
Was told The ACC was never going to happen as long as FSU, Clemson and GATech were still in the conf. Never close unless the math changed if one of them had gone to SEC instead of or along w one of mizzou or A&M . My memory is foggy. But the Clemson guy laughed at the idea that another non factor in football would be added to the list of mouths to feed...

UConn really did the best it could. That's all you can ask of your admins. I'm glad to have the hoop back in the conference mix. Should be fun.

B12

Reaction Score
Why are you bringing up the Mountain West? About 1 in 5 Americans live within 300 miles of NYC. About 1 in 67 within 300 miles of Salt Lake City
Was showing a similar example to the NBE/AAC comparing the WCC/MW. The discussion began with a statement about how unknown the AAC schools are.

Make sense.

Reaction Score
Was showing a similar example to the NBE/AAC comparing the WCC/MW. The discussion began with a statement about how unknown the AAC schools are.

Make sense.
No

B12

Reaction Score

Seems you are the one wanting to talk about the Big 12. Insecurity at it's finest.

What's next.

Thanks for your interest in UConn athletics.

The point is many of these NBE and WCC religious schools are not exactly well known in much of the country. Pretending that somehow the NBE schools are much more well known than AAC schools is really not accurate. UCF and Houston are as popular as any NBE teams IMO.

B12

Reaction Score
LOL. I just love stuff like this.

So do you think the AAC schools are more well known than NBE to the average person across the country?
Houston or UCF vs Villanova and Xavier?

I was trying to use the West coast as an example to not offend anyone.

I personally think if you asked people across the country to name a player or coach for those teams many could tell you names like Wright, Holgerson, Herman, Oliver, and Frost. I think most people outside the Northeast would look at you funny if asked to name a player or coach for Xavier or any other NBE schools for example unless you go back to Calhoun or the guy from Georgetown. But my perspective comes from the central and mountain time zone, although I suspect the South is a similar story as is the pacific time zone. Texas and Florida I can tell you with 100% certainty that the AAC schools are more popular due to football. Even though places like Kansas are BB crazy I just don't think they care about the NBE that much, same in Carolina, Kentucky, etc... where again schools like Memphis and ECU are going to be more well known due to football.

In the end as a conference this is probably a downgrade in national attention, but a huge plus on a regional level.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I thought it was a majority vote and the football schools (FSU, Clemson, Miami) plus and bitter ex-BE schools didn't want us. Being more attractive to the football schools could have made BC and Syracuse's sour grapes irrelevant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom