National sentiment | Page 13 | The Boneyard

National sentiment

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why do you think Texas and Oklahoma are leaving? Texas can leave whenever it wants but it’s stayed put.

Texas wrecked the Big 12 with the Longhorn Network and stayed with the Big 12 because they had the Longhorn Network. Oklahoma, on the other hand, has made little attempt to hide the fact that they will listen to anyone who offers.

And we're now in a world where the Big Ten pays its members $55,000,000 a year.

When you have such a huge revenue disparity and schools with options, you get realignment.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You’re hung up on why it failed. I don’t care why it failed, it just did. If your reasoning is lack of execution. Fine. It was still a failed experiment. Football in the northeast as a whole as been a massive failure. This isn’t synonymous to UConn

I don’t consider it failed. Even now. It was the right move. Staying FBS is the right move.

Reaction Score
Nope. Not even talking about the Big 12. Just talking realignment. Sharing national opinions of conferences. How recognizable teams are. That a problem?

I like BB just fine but I think you will find that most of the country does not pay as much attention to it compared to FB. Regional thing. Some states and areas are just BB crazy, and vice versa, and some not any college sports at all.

Now your turn.

As I asked the other poster what is your knowledge of the WCC? Name all the teams? Know where they are located? What about the Mountain West.

Reaction Score
Huh?

You know, I didn't know some of the monikers...like the Pepperdine Waves (I just called them Pepperdine)....same with San Diego and Pacific.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
You aren't getting it because, true to form, you are choosing not to get it. Look at Temple's roster. The majority of it is from Greater Philadelphia, NJ, and MD. That never changed. They still recruit the same kids they always did. UConn tried recruiting the same kids and lost them to other schools with the new narrative. Thus, the AAC hurt UConn more than it did Temple.
We need to start going after the germans again

Reaction Score
LOL. I just love stuff like this.

So do you think the AAC schools are more well known than NBE to the average person across the country?
Houston or UCF vs Villanova and Xavier?
In what bizarro universe is UCF or Houston more well-known than Villanova? I'd wager that the actual students who go to UCF are more familiar with Villanova than UCF.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score

So do you think the AAC schools are more well known than NBE to the average person across the country?

I was trying to use the West coast as an example to not offend anyone.

I personally think if you asked people across the country to name a player or coach for those teams many could tell you names like Wright, Holgerson, Herman, Oliver, and Frost. I think most people outside the Northeast would look at you funny if asked to name a player or coach for Xavier or any other NBE schools for example unless you go back to Calhoun or the guy from Georgetown. But my perspective comes from the central and mountain time zone, although I suspect the South is a similar story as is the pacific time zone. Texas and Florida I can tell you with 100% certainty that the AAC schools are more popular due to football. Even though places like Kansas are BB crazy I just don't think they care about the NBE that much, same in Carolina, Kentucky, etc... where again schools like Memphis and ECU are going to be more well known due to football.

In the end as a conference this is probably a downgrade in national attention, but a huge plus on a regional level.
Wrong

Reaction Score

I personally think if you asked people across the country to name a player or coach for those teams many could tell you names like Wright, Holgerson, Herman, Oliver, and Frost. I think most people outside the Northeast would look at you funny if asked to name a player or coach for Xavier or any other NBE schools for example unless you go back to Calhoun or the guy from Georgetown. But my perspective comes from the central and mountain time zone, although I suspect the South is a similar story as is the pacific time zone. Texas and Florida I can tell you with 100% certainty that the AAC schools are more popular due to football. Even though places like Kansas are BB crazy I just don't think they care about the NBE that much, same in Carolina, Kentucky, etc... where again schools like Memphis and ECU are going to be more well known due to football.

In the end as a conference this is probably a downgrade in national attention, but a huge plus on a regional level.

Yes, we've learned that the illiterate inbreds in flyover country don't care about basketball, and as such, don't know about it. That's why we don't want to be in a league with them anymore. Do you get it? Good. Now go away.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Yep so much better know you are on a UConn message board trying to convince us.

Villanova won two of the greatest basketball games of all time - and they were both for NCAA championships.

Houston is best known for getting beat by NC State. Great moment - but Villanova is the best program in the second best college basketball city on Earth.

Reaction Score
Houston is best known for getting beat by NC State.

Houston is best known for hosting one of the best finals of all time. I love Houston.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom