NASL in Hartford | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NASL in Hartford

Reaction Score
Why the heck are the main stands facing I-91?
Optimism; the sun rises in the east? To face the Colt building? Something somebody's identified facing west? Other?

Without funding, it's not to late to provide input to the owners/management group. For people inclined to share helpful input, they probably already have or will soon have an email address.

Reaction Score
Optimism; the sun rises in the east? To face the Colt building? Something somebody's identified facing west? Other?

Without funding, it's not to late to provide input to the owners/management group. For people inclined to share helpful input, they probably already have or will soon have an email address.

How do we know that they don't have funding? The city contract awarded them 12 mil to manage the renovation and bring a team in. The NASL piece has gone from sort of solid to sketchy in my book. I think demolition of Dillon was supposed to start next month. I guess NASL could be staggering announcements but it's kind of weird that they went ahead and announced Miami which just emerged 2 months ago as a thing and Carmelo Anthony/Puerto Rico which is also a brand new thing. Hartford has been kicking around for a while.

-They could be held up in court with that lawsuit between Hartford and the other vendor.

-They need more investors, The PR/Miami expansion fees were $1.5 mil.

-They don't want to be in the NASL and they are looking at USL. NASL gets higher attendance than USL on average and has had 21% percent increase in attendance since last season. USL's numbers are held down because many of the MLS 2 teams get almost nothing for attendance. Montreal gives tickets away for free.

-Also read a rumor somewhere that NYCFC wants to plant a USL team in Fairfield County.

Reaction Score

The Colt Armory is in the other direction.

They've already started renovating the Colt Armory. Sucks seeing the old windows out.

Reaction Score
The Colt Armory is in the other direction.

They've already started renovating the Colt Armory. Sucks seeing the old windows out.

Looks like the picture from the FB site was taken down.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Sporting Real Hartford City United FC, get it right.
http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/06/25/atlanta-united-fc-mls-expansion-2017
http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/06/25/atlanta-united-fc-mls-expansion-2017
Rather than relying on its own backyard when choosing a name, however, it appears Atlanta’s new Major League Soccer team is looking abroad, toward England and the sport’s foundation (and maybe north to Washington D.C., as well). Multiple sources have told SI.com that Atlanta United FC has been selected as the expansion team’s name.

It will be introduced officially on July 7, along with a logo that’s thought to feature a prominent ‘A’ and the club’s red, yellow/gold and black colors. The Twitter hashtag associated with the unveiling event is #bringyourAgame, likely a reference to the logo, while the tagline is, “One Night. One Team. One Celebration To Remember,” which may be a subtle hint at the new name.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It makes sense to me. It puts the stands closer to the stadium entrance and provides an attractive view (i.e. free advertising) to tens of thousands passing by every day.
That's a good point. For whatever reason, I find my eyes drawn to stadiums when I'm in a car driving by.

Reaction Score
That's not fair. Indoor soccer sucks.

I went to a Missouri Comets game last winter, it wasn't bad at all. They play in a smallish civic center just outside of KC and they fill the place and it's entertaining. Problem in Hartford is that with UConn Men and Women, UConn hockey and minor league hockey, we're saturated.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I went to a Missouri Comets game last winter, it wasn't bad at all. They play in a smallish civic center just outside of KC and they fill the place and it's entertaining. Problem in Hartford is that with UConn Men and Women, UConn hockey and minor league hockey, we're saturated.

I went to a San Diego Sockers game when they were the hottest ticket in town. They had the word SOCKERS displayed in 10-foot illuminated letters and the team came on to the playing surface through the letter "O" to pyrotechnics and blaring music. The crowd went wild and for some reason the manager wore a tux. We ever used to go to Hartford Hellions games, but that was mostly for the cheap beer (tix were $3.00.) At the end of the day, it's not soccer. And the pitch that I need to be supporting it to "prove" support for real soccer is falling on deaf ears. Having said that, I will probably go to a couple of matches, but I won't be giving up any Wolf Pack games to do so.

Reaction Score
I went to a San Diego Sockers game when they were the hottest ticket in town. They had the word SOCKERS displayed in 10-foot illuminated letters and the team came on to the playing surface through the letter "O" to pyrotechnics and blaring music. The crowd went wild and for some reason the manager wore a tux. We ever used to go to Hartford Hellions games, but that was mostly for the cheap beer (tix were $3.00.) At the end of the day, it's not soccer. And the pitch that I need to be supporting it to "prove" support for real soccer is falling on deaf ears. Having said that, I will probably go to a couple of matches, but I won't be giving up any Wolf Pack games to do so.

Yeah I hear you. I would prefer even a NPSL or a PDL team in Hartford over indoor. NPSL just had their Championship game in Chattanooga and they drew 20,000 fans.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The brief writeup online says that year-round soccer is still the goal. And that the Dillon rebuild is still on track. I'll guess I'll go to a few games. And I'll probably have fun.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
To say this is a disappointment would be a MASSIVE understatement. I think the support that comes out for USNT games, both men and women teams, shows that the support and interest is there. Indoor soccer won't draw any interest. To be honest, I never even knew it existed on a professional level.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was born at Hartford Hospital.

I've lived in the city and in most of the suburbs.

My daughter was born at St. Francis.

I've spent 39 of my 41 years around here.

Not only are we not allowed to have nice things we can't even have an NASL team?

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Hartford City FC Joins Major Arena Soccer League; Will Play At XL Center
http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-hartford-city-fc-soccer-0813-20150812-story.html

"Our eventual plan was always to build a soccer-specific stadium," Anderson said. "We already have the drawings, we have everything all done, we have everything ready to go, and we're working with the city to finalize everything. So our plan is to build a soccer-specific stadium in Hartford."

The group is hoping that demolition on the Dillon Stadium site may start in the next couple of weeks.

"We're hoping that October-November of 2016 the stadium will be almost done to the point that we can test it and get it ready and fine-tune it and then kick into overdrive," Anderson said.

Anderson believes the group is in a good position to get accepted into the league.

"[NASL commissioner] Bill Peterson has made it known publicly that he feels Hartford is a great venue because of what goes on at Rentschler [Field] with the U.S. team coming in," Anderson said.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom