NASL in Hartford | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NASL in Hartford

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What's Dillon Stadium's current condition matter if it's going to be demo'd and rebuilt?

Anyways I think the NASL will thrive here.

The current condition doesn't matter true. Is part of the renovation picking it up and moving it elsewhere?

The NASL may thrive there, but if you look at Greater Hartford's minor league sporting history that would make them an outlier.

Reaction Score
Kind of bland. But it's better than nothing. Press conference on 20 May supposedly.
Bland, but it's better than Sh|t City FC, Insurance City Actuaries, or Rail Goats or whatever the ex-Rock Cats, also a bad name, were christened. For the market size of Hartford and its suburbs, the sort of NASL-second level / minor league is probably a good match. Hopefully, it's a success for the northern CT soccer market with some pull from Meriden north and possibly some Springfield.

Reaction Score
I'm a bit curious about the strategy here.

Having officiated a ton of games at Dillon, it's just hard to picture a crowd there.

An upgraded Willowbrook would seem to be a better home in a perfect world.

Bet is that Hartford (via state funding of course) will use an upgraded Dillon Stadium to try and generate additional development around Colt and the river. Can also be used as a secondary, smaller outdoor concert venue to supplement the Meadows or whatever it is called today. One challenge will be driving there as while it is right next to I-91 and the Charter oak Bridge, there are no on/off ramps int he immediate area. From the south, basically have to get off by I-91 by Brainard and from every other direct, have to take I-91 to that spur road and take city streets from there/

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Keep in mind that the Colt buildings are now about half-way through a $100m project (and what is completed is full - either as apartments, businesses, schools or a café) and is also the anchor of a new national park (there are a lot of plans to redevelop Colt Park generally). Add to that the now under renovation Capewell building just around the corner and I think that the city is trying to stretch the impact of Front St. and the new UConn campus further south. I think this is a great counter-balance to the ballpark in the north of downtown and both projects together have the potential to unlock whole new neighborhoods for the city.

Reaction Score
Bland, but it's better than Sh|t City FC, Insurance City Actuaries, or Rail Goats or whatever the ex-Rock Cats, also a bad name, were christened. For the market size of Hartford and its suburbs, the sort of NASL-second level / minor league is probably a good match. Hopefully, it's a success for the northern CT soccer market with some pull from Meriden north and possibly some Springfield.

It's all about the 'burbs.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that the Colt buildings are now about half-way through a $100m project (and what is completed is full - either as apartments, businesses, schools or a café) and is also the anchor of a new national park (there are a lot of plans to redevelop Colt Park generally). Add to that the now under renovation Capewell building just around the corner and I think that the city is trying to stretch the impact of Front St. and the new UConn campus further south. I think this is a great counter-balance to the ballpark in the north of downtown and both projects together have the potential to unlock whole new neighborhoods for the city.

They've gotta get the simple stuff right. Parking, access, traffic circulation, tailgating etc.

Reaction Score
Hartford City FC? So weak. Meanwhile, the Yard Goats moniker is on fire.

Fort Hope FC was just a suggestion from my head.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Bet is that Hartford (via state funding of course) will use an upgraded Dillon Stadium to try and generate additional development around Colt and the river. Can also be used as a secondary, smaller outdoor concert venue to supplement the Meadows or whatever it is called today. One challenge will be driving there as while it is right next to I-91 and the Charter oak Bridge, there are no on/off ramps int he immediate area. From the south, basically have to get off by I-91 by Brainard and from every other direct, have to take I-91 to that spur road and take city streets from there/

From either Brainard
They've gotta get the simple stuff right. Parking, access, traffic circulation, tailgating etc.

Agree. There is so much parking downtown, and the stadium so close (maybe .5 miles), that they would be wise to encourage some sort of a march from the bars to the stadium on game day to take advantage of downtown parking (I am picturing the Seattle Sounders supporters on game day).

Reaction Score
From either Brainard

Agree. There is so much parking downtown, and the stadium so close (maybe .5 miles), that they would be wise to encourage some sort of a march from the bars to the stadium on game day to take advantage of downtown parking (I am picturing the Seattle Sounders supporters on game day).

Looks like its about a 1 mile walk from the Convention Center (lots of parking) to Dillon. But, there does not seem to be much in between. How safe is that area? I know the old Charter Oak project used to be in that area and it was not a safe place; but, that was 20 years ago.

Reaction Score
From either Brainard

I always avoided Hartford like the plague. But that arrangement has some real potential.

WestHartHusk

Reaction Score
Looks like its about a 1 mile walk from the Convention Center (lots of parking) to Dillon. But, there does not seem to be much in between. How safe is that area? I know the old Charter Oak project used to be in that area and it was not a safe place; but, that was 20 years ago.

Super safe. I have made the walk many times with friends at Colt - up to and through the wee-hours of the morning; never even a hint of a problem out that way.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The Armory is a good name for a supporter's group... why not have that be the club name as well? Sort of related to Arsenal without the name Arsenal.

Colt Armory - Wikipedia

Hartford State Armory

armory_plaque03.jpg

Reaction Score
http://www.boston.com/news/local/co...-new-mascot/RA5frcmMsGDKRWP8DyVKBP/story.html

Hartford is a great city. Just have to look into it's architecture and settings and you see a real, historical American city. Dillon being right by the Colt Armory is awesome. I hate soccer but look forward to NASL games at Dillon.

In my opinion, in the era of the commercial break and every football game being televised, there is no better sport to see in person. It's also one of the most stressful games to watch when you have a vested interest.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I used to play Kickball at Colt Park and there wasn't anything wrong with the area. It's not amazing but it didn't feel too unsafe either. That being said, it's a hike to get from downtown to Colt Park. I can't see a way that supporters would march from a bar like Vaughns in downtown to Dillon. There's also not tons of parking around there that's easy to get in and out of. Will be interesting. I will definitely be bringing my little ones to games. By the time they start playing my kids will be older and I can't wait to introduce them to watching live soccer.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I agree. But I was wondering about the whole gun thing with Sandy Hook and all. Hopefully I am not becoming too PC.
Maybe. Also now that I think about it, it's similar to Charleston Battery.

Reaction Score
Maybe. Also now that I think about it, it's similar to Charleston Battery.

Heh, there was supposed to be an NASL expansion team this year called "The Virginia Cavalry". Hartford Armory is good though. It's sounds like a soccer team without the silly "FC" or "United" even if no clubs were ever unified.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Less than a mile from Arch Street Tavern.
There might even be more in a few years once the UCONN campus is up and running. I agree with whoever said that this is another way to extend the downtown area from Front St to UCONN to Dillon

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Looks like the supporters group has decided on a name... Agents of Hale. Sounds like a bad ABC TV show.....regardless. got this e-mail yesterday.

Greetings, brothers and sisters in soccer!

My name is Mike Kane, for those I have not yet had the pleasure to meet. I am so incredibly proud to be elected as president of the the Agents of Hale, the supporters group that has already made wonderful progress as we move toward being awarded an NASL franchise.

The brand new Board of Directors provides our organization with a mind-boggling combination of passion, insight, experience, logic and humor. My confidence in where our SG can go as a collective is as high as ever. I am proud to introduce:

Vice President: Chris Petter
Secretary: Brendan Lamb
Treasurer: Kelly Petter
Club Ambassador: Tom Lovkay
Fan Ambassador: Thad Reaves
Operations Coordinator: Adam Ksiazek

A little bit about myself: I've lived in CT most of my life. I've been a proud and active member of the Hartford Chapter of The American Outlaws for five years. AIongside Tom Lovkay, I had the distinct privilege to serve as capo at Landon's last international match at Rentschler Field in October 2014. I absolutely live for soccer. It is absolutely everything to me, and consumes my soul. With that said, while I've always been a passionate US supporter, I've never truly identified with a club. I'm among the many of us who have waited for professional soccer to return to our fair state for a long time. I was among the nerds who sat on online message boards for years arguing in favor of Hartford soccer. This club doesn't even technically exist yet, and I already hold it so close to my heart--I grow more excited each day knowing what it is going to mean to us and our community.

The Agents of Hale is already becoming a supporters group in which we can take an abundance of pride. Our consistent, open lines of communication and commitment to the cause have already resulted in a huge boost in membership and awareness. That said--keep plugging. Tell a friend, and tell that friend to tell ten friends. Post all over the social medias. We have lots of time to gain membership and grow the brand, but maintaining momentum in that time is paramount. The hard work we put in now will ultimately result in The Armory becoming the singing, flag-waving, smoke-bomb toting visual treat of which we all dream.

You've answered the #CallToArms--a promise to stand in the Armory in full support of Hartford City FC. I hope each and every one of you decide to become a full member of the Agents of Hale--further information is forthcoming.

As president, ensuring that all voices are heard is an absolute priority. Always feel free to reach out to me orhttps://www.facebook.com/hartfordarmory with questions or concerns. The tremendous success of AO Hartford, as well as the progress of the Agents of Hale thus far, has undeniably been a result of communication and teamwork. You can depend on my passion and commitment, but our organization and the supporters culture of HCFC cannot succeed without yours.

Stay tuned, my friends! Cheers to the Agents of Hale, all who #StockTheArmory, and Hartford City FC. Drink it if you got it.

-Hartford 'Til I Die-
Mike Kane
President, Agents of Hale
[\quote]

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member