Narduzzi explains why he withdrew | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Narduzzi explains why he withdrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If you are Warde... do you continue to pursue the guy who will cost you 2 Diacos? Is he worth that? Plenty of details we will never know while still fitting in with the fact that "Diaco was his #1 choice."

I think we have a new monetary unit. The Diaco.

As in, Whaler makes approximately a quarter Diaco.

Last edited:

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
IDK, I wouldn't walk away from a $ 1,000,000 pay raise and to coach at a school where you can more easily be set up for the rest of your career

when / if he takes another job, everything he just said about his assistants and his players becomes Stop

500 k to 1.5 mil is life changing

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Some guys just aren't alpha dogs.

Who knows, maybe Narduzzi is, maybe he isn't.

However, how many 'alpha dogs' turn down or don't seem fully invested in $1M raises and being the face of a flagship state college program, with tremendous facilities, some talent on offense, and if you're a defensive whiz you should succeed in the AAC.

Diaco wanted UConn.
Narduzzi didn't want UConn.

Diaco is our guy and I'm pumped up he's on board.

Reaction Score
He's very happy with the people he is surrounded with….but... if they're that good how long will he have them?

Back in the day, when I was living and working in Hartford, I got a better job offer at a substantially higher salary at a company in Philadelphia. But I already had a great bunch of Saturday morning golf buddies and a fantastic Thursday night poker game that I always looked forward to. I actually considered staying, largely because of those factors (though I raised other ones publicly since my real reason seemed so odd). Eventually, rationality prevailed and I made the move to Phila. Shortly thereafter two of the poker guys moved, one of my golf buddies fell seriously ill, and my best buddy took a job in San Diego. Had I stayed because of those guys I would have given up a great opportunity and sorely regretted it after waking up and realizing that the funhouse doesn't last forever.
That's the impression I had about Narduzzi's decision. He likes his coaching buddies and his present situation so much that he hemmed and hawed some, rationalized it, caused Warde to wince and ended up staying put. Eventually, when his coaching buddies move on, when the team starts to slide, when his linebackers don't make the big stop on 4th down, and when he doesn't land whatever "better" job he thought was surely in his sights, he'll sit there in the dark and say "Wow, I could have been UConn's Head Coach, lived closer to my roots, made $1M more, and developed some CEO coaching cred. WTF was I thinking. Honey, pass me the vodka".

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This place is unbelievable. The guy is classy and doesn't bad mouth UCONN or Warde, we get a great coach, and people need to insult his manhood?

I don't think this is quite accurate. His camp was quite vocal about turning down the job, with unflattering and inaccurate reasons for doing so. So much so that all of the national write-ups about the Diaco hire practically led with "UConn's 2nd choice". Now it seems he was probably never offered the job and he still talking about why he turned us down. That's not classy.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Back in the day, when I was living and working in Hartford, I got a better job offer at a substantially higher salary at a company in Philadelphia. But I already had a great bunch of Saturday morning golf buddies and a fantastic Thursday night poker game that I always looked forward to. I actually considered staying, largely because of those factors (though I raised other ones publicly since my real reason seemed so odd). Eventually, rationality prevailed and I made the move to Phila. Shortly thereafter two of the poker guys moved, one of my golf buddies fell seriously ill, and my best buddy took a job in San Diego. Had I stayed because of those guys I would have given up a great opportunity and sorely regretted it after waking up and realizing that the funhouse doesn't last forever.
That's the impression I had about Narduzzi's decision. He likes his coaching buddies and his present situation so much that he hemmed and hawed some, rationalized it, caused Warde to wince and ended up staying put. Eventually, when his coaching buddies move on, when the team starts to slide, when his linebackers don't make the big stop on 4th down, and when he doesn't land whatever "better" job he thought was surely in his sights, he'll sit there in the dark and say "Wow, I could have been UConn's Head Coach, lived closer to my roots, made $1M more, and developed some CEO coaching cred. WTF was I thinking. Honey, pass me the vodka".

"...the funhouse doesn't last forever." Love it. Gonna make it my sig.

BTW I'm in a similar situation here in Rio at the moment. Love the jobe I'm leaving, but the money at the new job, long with the opportunity for professional growth,make it a no-brainer.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sounds like Narduzzi has a case of the cuhdoves. "I could have been the HC at UConn if I wanted it.

He assumes he had the job locked up. I don't think he did. At best, I think he was on the list of acceptable candidate WM was willing to negotiate. Based on everything I've seen reported, I think BD was the first choice.

Reaction Score
"Obviously, it was close," Narduzzi said of a move to be closer to his roots." (with the UConn job)... The staff I have to work with here every day is the best in the country. I hate to break up the party we have going on right now."

That "I hate to break up the party"quote sounds like he's been a little slow in recognizing that "the funhouse doesn't last forever". lol.

Reaction Score
I head from a little birdie that Narduzzi was looking for more money from UConn than what was (or was going to be) offered.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
NutmegState said:
I head from a little birdie that Narduzzi was looking for more money from UConn than what was (or was going to be) offered.

I believe this, too. There is an attempt by some in the media to generate a level of drama above and beyond reality.

In the real world, we'd say it wasn't a good match for either side. Though PN was a good candidate and UConn was a good job. No need to press who turned who down. Both parties I think just knew.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I think this totally fits with how it played out. When you lay it all out - eager, energetic, talented Diaco for $x... A very talented but perhaps less eager Narduzzi for $2x... Easy to see why BD was the #1 choice.

Reaction Score
I think you're right about his squeezing for more money. Someone--his agent or Dantoni--told him he's worth more. When an interviewee asks too early about the money or is more concerned about the perks ("how many coffee breaks and vacation days will I get"), it causes a wince factor in the interviewer. I've been in that position and it makes you pause. Then when the next guy in the seat has all the qualifications but says "I really want this job--when do I start" it makes the choice a lot easier.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I guess we shot be glad about his yapping. Makes me feel better about BD. He's starting to remind me of Silvio after Tony Soprano got shot. A top-notch 2nd that crumbled when he got the power seat.

Reaction Score
5+ by plane? Hour at the airport, fly down to Midway (45 minutes + 1 /2 hour lay over). Midway to TF Green (2 1/2 hours), drive to in-laws (you can get anywhere from anywhere in RI in about 1/2 hour- 45min.).;)

It’s actually just over 4 hours as I used to make that trip for work. Drive to TF Green about an hour in advance. Grab a direct flight from TF Green to Detroit Metro on Delta, which is a 2 hours flight. From DTW, it’s just under a 90 mile drive to East Lansing, which can be done in 1 ¼ hours as I-96 opens up once past the I-275 interchange in Novi. Way better than connecting anywhere.
Of course, I would not tell my in-laws that!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Could he be waiting to see if this happens, which would allow him to get a head coaching job in the B1G, more money, and not have to move?
http://tracking.si.com/2013/12/17/michigan-state-mark-dantonio-calls-texas-rumors-flattering/
Of course right now, if every big-time coach, college or pro, has been linked to the job in Austin by at least one rumor.

Most successful coach are so because of his assistants (as Narduzzi mentioned regarding his defensive staff.). My guess is Narduzzi follows Dantonio down to Austin, if the opportunity arises. The Coach in Waiting designation probably only kicks in if Dantonio outright retires.

Reaction Score
I will show up at the Signing Day event in a dress if Dantonio is named coach at Texas. No chance.

Reaction Score
I will show up at the Signing Day event in a dress if Dantonio is named coach at Texas. No chance.

I will do a happy dance if Strong goes to Texas, Bridgewater to the NFL and the ACC gets to see what is under the Cardinal's hood without those two.

HuskyBarker

A Tiger is always Hungry!
Reaction Score
"I hate to break up the party we have going on right now."

That "I hate to break up the party"quote sounds like he's been a little slow in recognizing that "the funhouse doesn't last forever". lol.

A piece of advice for Narduzzi... Never be the last guy to leave the PARTY!!!
Btw PP coulda told him that "the funhouse doesn't last forever". ;)

Reaction Score
Glad he did not fall off the fence our way. Last thing we need is somebody not wanting to be here.

Reaction Score
I fly to Bradley -- I hate Logan!

All depends. For folks around Boston, TF Green (and Manchester) are much easier to deal with; but only have direct flights to the major hubs east of the Mississippi for the most part. Thus, anything to Texas, West Cost or Europe, most people fly out of Logan, especially as Logan has gotten much easier to use post Big Dig. That said, when I lived outside of Boston, I would take Manchester in the winter even with a connection because snow reeks havoc with Logan.
The same applies to those living in Southern Connecticut regarding the choice between Bradley and LaGuardia or Kennedy.
Nowadays, I fly out of Newark all of the time for work. It sucks; but, if I get stuck there, at least I am home and I can get a direct flight to just about anywhere. That said, I am taking the family down to Orland in May and am flying out of Westchester County instead. Direct flight on Jet Blue.

Reaction Score
All depends. For folks around Boston, TF Green (and Manchester) are much easier to deal with; but only have direct flights to the major hubs east of the Mississippi for the most part. Thus, anything to Texas, West Cost or Europe, most people fly out of Logan, especially as Logan has gotten much easier to use post Big Dig. That said, when I lived outside of Boston, I would take Manchester in the winter even with a connection because snow reeks havoc with Logan.
The same applies to those living in Southern Connecticut regarding the choice between Bradley and LaGuardia or Kennedy.
Nowadays, I fly out of Newark all of the time for work. It sucks; but, if I get stuck there, at least I am home and I can get a direct flight to just about anywhere. That said, I am taking the family down to Orland in May and am flying out of Westchester County instead. Direct flight on Jet Blue.
You may find you will never want to set foot in a NYC airport (ESPECIALLY and specifically LaGuardia) again after your flight out of Westchester. I fly out of there any chance I get..the rest of my flights I leave from JFK.

Reaction Score
You may find you will never want to set foot in a NYC airport (ESPECIALLY and specifically LaGuardia) again after your flight out of Westchester. I fly out of there any chance I get..the rest of my flights I leave from JFK.
Comparing Westchester to LaGuardia is like comparing Bradley to the late lamented Griswold airstrip in Madison. Night & Day. I also like Westchester. It's a gem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom