Narduzzi explains why he withdrew | The Boneyard

Narduzzi explains why he withdrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's just what I thought. He's a career #2 guy. I read these quotes if I'm an AD down the road.......he wouldn't even be on my list. He's Bud Foster/Tom Bradley. I'm not knocking him....there is no shame in riding someone's coattails to the tune of over $500k annually.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
200px-No_2_APTSWSM.jpg

Reaction Score
Doesn't expressly confirm nor deny he got an offer. Reading between the lines he didn't but he thought one could be pending, since he talked to his wife specifically about the UConn job enough to decide as a couple not to pursue it. Once he realized he would turn it down if it was offered, he withdrew. Sounds legit to me. Taking Warde at his word, now I think Diaco was #1 and Narduzzi was #1A.

But in the end it doesn't matter. We've got Diaco and I'm looking forward to filling my energy bucket.

Reaction Score
It's just what I thought. He's a career #2 guy. I read these quotes if I'm an AD down the road.......he wouldn't even be on my list. He's Bud Foster/Tom Bradley. I'm not knocking him....there is no shame in riding someone's coattails to the tune of over $500k annually.

Agreed. We got the right guy. We got the guy who shows up at recruits houses at 4:30 am.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Wow. Yup, he is a career Assistant. If he happens to change his mind in a year or two for another coaching opportunity, it will be a MUCH tougher sell to the fans than it was a week ago. Like Jimmy said, there's nothing wrong with making a living being a DC. But I'm pretty sure that his name moved way down (or off entirely) potential coaching lists that all ADs keep in case they have to enter the carousel.

More credit to Warde for seeing through him and targeting his top choice and landing him.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Wow. Yup, he is a career Assistant. If he happens to change his mind in a year or two for another coaching opportunity, it will be a MUCH tougher sell to the fans than it was a week ago. Like Jimmy said, there's nothing wrong with making a living being a DC. But I'm pretty sure that his name moved way down (or off entirely) potential coaching lists that all ADs keep in case they have to enter the carousel.

More credit to Warde for seeing through him and targeting his top choice and landing him.

This is political double speak that can be taken multiple ways. On the one hand he has his family only an hour away. He may be relieved. for some people, having their in-laws only an hour away is a negative...;)

At the end of the day, a P5 offer is worth more in prestige as well the as dollars he would have gotten at UConn...perhaps more of those as well. It was a well thought out statement by Narduzzi. He can spin it anyway he wishes IF the time comes.

Be that as it may, Diaco's opening press conference made me want to suit up and get a concussion for the man. I've already budgeted next years season tickets.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
It's more like 11+ hours but point well taken.
5+ by plane? Hour at the airport, fly down to Midway (45 minutes + 1 /2 hour lay over). Midway to TF Green (2 1/2 hours), drive to in-laws (you can get anywhere from anywhere in RI in about 1/2 hour- 45min.).;)

Husky25

Reaction Score
At least this gives me a rooting interest in the Rose Bowl, go Stamford!
Overwhelming ambivalence. Just rooting for a good game, unless I decide to put a couple shekels on it. UConn has their guy. I feel the same about the Pinstripe bowl. If Diaco were coaching, I would begrudgingly root for the Irish. No I can go back a rooting for a draw...maybe a water main rupture at Yankee Stadium that injures no one.

Reaction Score
My reading...I thought I was going to get an offer but when I found out it wasn't coming i announced I was not interested...Frankly I don't much care why he didn't take the job. I think we got a terrific head coach. I'm checking to see if I still have any eligibility and if they still have those leather helmets without the face masks, too...

Reaction Score
5+ by plane? Hour at the airport, fly down to Midway (45 minutes + 1 /2 hour lay over). Midway to TF Green (2 1/2 hours), drive to in-laws (you can get anywhere from anywhere in RI in about 1/2 hour- 45min.).;)

Detroit to Boston.

Do people fly into TF Green?

Every time I go to Providence by plane, I fly to Boston.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Detroit to Boston.

I flew into TF Green from Columbus, OH once in 2004 (Had tickets to the Patriots' Day game). Much cheaper than Logan and considering traffic, about the same drive, time-wise, to my parents' house. My dad and I went to the game, watched part of the Marathon from Kenmore, and he drove me back down to Providence afterward. In retrospect the lower cost could have been due to the fact that I had to get back to my client in Columbus for work on Tuesday.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Why waste your time worrying about the defensive coordinator for Michigan State? No need to wish ill on others. UConn has their guy.
I hope this is a decision that Narduzzi regrets the rest of his life.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Sounds like he doesn't have the stones to be the man. At minimum, turning down this offer costs him approx $1M next season.

Nobody with any self confidence would turn that down.

I think they both interviewed and Diaco wanted it more and was more impressive. No reason to believe he wasn't our top guy.

Reaction Score
Detroit to Boston.

That's where the Pats fly to and from. Actually Green is making a play to become the 2nd airport to Logan. Boston has really reached the point where it needs a second location. Manchester NH and Green are more or less in competition for that role. Manchester now refers to itself as Manchester-Boston. Green has commuter rail service to Boston. It isn't uncommon for people with business south of Boston to fly into Green, which has decent service with Delta, USAir, Southwest and United all serving it.

Reaction Score
Sounds like he doesn't have the stones to be the man. At minimum, turning down this offer costs him approx $1M next season.

Nobody with any self confidence would turn that down.

I think they both interviewed and Diaco wanted it more and was more impressive. No reason to believe he wasn't our top guy.

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog