Reaction Score
Favorite Teams to Rag On:

It's actually a tie:

Providence Friars
&
Duke Blue Devils

Reaction Score
Poems

A tie for me between A E Housman's "To An Athlete Dying Young" and Edward Arlington Robinson's "Richard Cory".
Good choices. Next OT could be "Out There" and these could qualify again. How about adding "The Song of the Wandering Aengus" W B Yeats?

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
:p glad you enjoyed the thread so much. What is it called when someone subjects themselves to something they find so obnoxious when they can simply choose to ignore it?
It could be masochism

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Good choices. Next OT could be "Out There" and these could qualify again. How about adding "The Song of the Wandering Aengus" W B Yeats?

That is a fine poem by the brilliant Mr Yeats. I favor "The Lake Isle of Innisfree" myself.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
:p glad you enjoyed the thread so much. What is it called when someone subjects themselves to something they find so obnoxious when they can simply choose to ignore it?
'What is it called when someone subjects themselves to something they find so obnoxious when they can simply choose to ignore it?'
i know! i know! --- The Boneyard Experience.
what do i win?
(i don't know why i always ask aboot the prizes, nobody ever seems to payoff on any of these deals here ...)

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Since I'm a musician, two of my favorite things (no pun intended) are my horns.

The flugelhorn is 1982 Olds red brass. Made in America. The trumpet is a 1971 Getzen Eterna, Severinsen model. Made in America.

And these babies get used everyday. It's either practicing for the next gig or rehearsing with the two groups I play in. Over the years I have tried other horns and never made the move to replace either horn. Two other trumpeters I play with have horns older than my Getzen!!!

IMG_0118 (1).jpeg
IMG_0117 (1).jpeg

Reaction Score
Of course for the aging Sunday afternoon fan there was always my favorite John Facenda reading of Rudyard Kipling's "If."

Grew up listening to John Facenda on channel 10 out of Philly and a ton of favorites from that part of the country - Big 5 bb, American Bandstand, Horn and Hardart, Philly Soul, and the list goes on and on

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
For what his discoveries ultimately did to advance science and technology, he should be known at the public school level like Einstein, Newton or at least Faraday. But until upper level college physics, crickets. Pet peeve of mine.

Probably my favorite underrated physicist is Albert Baez. I was literally working on something citing him earlier today. He developed what's probably to this day the most important way of focusing x-rays. He certainly deserved a Nobel Prize, but it's taken till the last 20 years or so for there to be x-ray sources to fully take advantage of it.

In addition to all that, he happened to have three daughters, Joan, Pauline, and Mimi, all very beautiful and talented. I had no idea he was Joan and Mimi's father when I met him 25 years ago, although I did correspond with him later after I found out.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Since I'm a musician, two of my favorite things (no pun intended) are my horns.

The flugelhorn is 1982 Olds red brass. Made in America. The trumpet is a 1971 Getzen Eterna, Severinsen model. Made in America.

And these babies get used everyday. It's either practicing for the next gig or rehearsing with the two groups I play in. Over the years I have tried other horns and never made the move to replace either horn. Two other trumpeters I play with have horns older than my Getzen!!!

View attachment 67623 View attachment 67624
Question: The trumpet, flugelhorn, and cornet all have the same range. The trumpet has a cylindrical bore, but what's the difference between a flugelhorn and cornet? Is it just the wider bore of the flugelhorn?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Probably my favorite underrated physicist is Albert Baez. I was literally working on something citing him earlier today. He developed what's probably to this day the most important way of focusing x-rays. He certainly deserved a Nobel Prize, but it's taken till the last 20 years or so for there to be x-ray sources to fully take advantage of it.

In addition to all that, he happened to have three daughters, Joan, Pauline, and Mimi, all very beautiful and talented. I had no idea he was Joan and Mimi's father when I met him 25 years ago, although I did correspond with him later after I found out.
Albert Baez is actually the uncle of John C Baez who is one of the leading Mathematical Physicists today doing all sorts of exotic theorizing from Spin Foams to Loop Quantum Gravity and pushing abstraction using Category Theory into more mainstream Applied Mathematics.

Reaction Score
Favorite author: David Foster Wallace and it's not even close. RIP

Reaction Score
Favorite bar drink :the classic Black and Tan.

Favorite opera: Mozart's Marriage of Figaro (this gets extra points when seen in person_

Favorite doo wop recording: Looking for an Echo by the Persuasions

Reaction Score
Favorite vanilla-Madagascar bourbon, preferably Nielsen-Massey. Crazy expensive, but oh so good. As a side note, I’m steeping an experimental batch of vanilla in 151 Goslings dark rum (bought it for dark and stormies, but found it too stormy). Since the booze wasn’t drinkable, hopefully I can bake with it.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Question: The trumpet, flugelhorn, and cornet all have the same range. The trumpet has a cylindrical bore, but what's the difference between a flugelhorn and cornet? Is it just the wider bore of the flugelhorn?
The trumpet is a cylindrical bore instrument. The diamneter of the bore stays the same. The cornet & flugelhorn are conical bore. The diameter of the bore increases over the lenght of the horn. The difference is the flugelhorn has a wider bore than a cornet. The flugelhorn is used by many jazz artists for its softer sound.

We have 3 trumpet players in the swing band and we all have flugelhorns. We're in the process of figuring out what charts we are going to the play the flugelhorns on. We have gigs in October, November and 2 in December. Each gig is a 2 hour show. 15 songs each hour or set. All four gigs will have different sets. So we have plenty of songs to choose from.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Favorite military jet: F-16:
Did you know that -16 was originally designed to solely be a light agile air superiority fighter? It was “up purposed” into a multi-role aircraft losing a lot of it’s original agility and ability to regain airspeed. It still is a great plane.

The book “Boyd” is a great read and talks about this in detail, if you are interested.

Reaction Score
Can't believe no one has mentioned the dairy bar as the favorite ice cream place. When I'm on campus, carbs be damned.

Reaction Score
Did you know that -16 was originally designed to solely be a light agile air superiority fighter? It was “up purposed” into a multi-role aircraft losing a lot of it’s original agility and ability to regain airspeed. It still is a great plane.

The book “Boyd” is a great read and talks about this in detail, if you are interested.

Thanks, I shall check that one out....!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom