OT: - Name Your Favorite....Anything | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Name Your Favorite....Anything

Reaction Score
Never heard of him- did a quick look, hopefully I can read his "Infinite Jest", but it seems so long!
Don't start with Infinte Jest! Long difficult but amazing read. Try his essays first, "Consider the Lobster" or "Brief Interviews with Hideous Men" His final novel published after his death (suicide) "The Pale King" is the most amazing novel I've read but you have to know David. Also I'm just one step removed from him
which I cherish. Or watch the movie "The End Of The Tour" about his book tour after Infinite Jest was published.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Thanks, I shall check that one out....!
1622127971103.png

You will enjoy it.

(Why can you type the plane designation "F"-16 but it gets edited out for me? Methinks the powers that be have more confidence in your self restraint than they do in mine.)
jesse shrug GIF by Big Brother Canada

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Favorite Shakespeare quote (this may go on my headstone, assuming the Veteran’s Administration doesn’t object):

“Hell is empty, and all the devils are here.” (From The Tempest)
They will object

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
'What is it called when someone subjects themselves to something they find so obnoxious when they can simply choose to ignore it?'
i know! i know! --- The Boneyard Experience.
what do i win?
(i don't know why i always ask aboot the prizes, nobody ever seems to payoff on any of these deals here ...)
No prize was offered, however the committee has reviewed your post, they like your answer and have put you in 2nd place. Please check the mail for your 2nd place gift. :cool:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Probably my favorite underrated physicist is Albert Baez. I was literally working on something citing him earlier today. He developed what's probably to this day the most important way of focusing x-rays. He certainly deserved a Nobel Prize, but it's taken till the last 20 years or so for there to be x-ray sources to fully take advantage of it.

In addition to all that, he happened to have three daughters, Joan, Pauline, and Mimi, all very beautiful and talented. I had no idea he was Joan and Mimi's father when I met him 25 years ago, although I did correspond with him later after I found out.
underrated? have sum, 100 years later!
'
Imagine if you had those fluid pump systems basically take the vibration from the motor that’s there anyway, and have that circulate it. It has no moving parts. There’s nothing to break,” says Ristroph.'
no moving parts. nothing to break.
Century-old water valve invented by Nikola Tesla could have modern use | New Scientist

nikki is my favorite 'ist' since archimedes. mebbe someday we'll get to know more of his revelations, currently unavailable to us. downright biblical, methinks.
im bettin that, a pantload of times, mr T thought 'don't need no stinkin proofs, i just know it!' intuition is a greatly underrated talent.
Nikola-Tesla-life-story.jpg

he played this game of life in a league of his own.
frequency and resonance. yup.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For those of us who do not work in math, please explain why this is mind-blowing.
Just the idea that 3 of the most interesting and diverse constants "i" the imaginary unit = sqrt(-1), pi (the irrational number connecting the diameter and perimeter of a circle) and "e". the natural base for logarithms should all be magically related by a single equation. Well, you asked. ;)

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Just the idea that 3 of the most interesting and diverse constants "i" the imaginary unit = sqrt(-1), pi (the irrational number connecting the diameter and perimeter of a circle) and "e". the natural base for logarithms should all be magically related by a single equation. Well, you asked. ;)
Sounds familiar, I may have heard it from Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory. No disrespect, I read that every equation on the show was reviewed by top level Math Brainiac's and were 100% accurate.

Reaction Score
View attachment 67635

You will enjoy it.

(Why can you type the plane designation "F"-16 but it gets edited out for me? Methinks the powers that be have more confidence in your self restraint than they do in mine.)
jesse shrug GIF by Big Brother Canada

I had to type the letter "F" in twice before it stuck - thought it was just an anomaly at the time, guess it wasn't... :eek:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Sounds familiar, I may have heard it from Sheldon on the Big Bang Theory. No disrespect, I read that every equation on the show was reviewed by top level Math Brainiac's and were 100% accurate.
I imagine Sheldon would not waste his time with such a trivial formula. (Highschool level)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Albert Baez is actually the uncle of John C Baez who is one of the leading Mathematical Physicists today doing all sorts of exotic theorizing from Spin Foams to Loop Quantum Gravity and pushing abstraction using Category Theory into more mainstream Applied Mathematics.
John Baez? I haven't thought of him in years. I remember him from the USENET days. I knew he was a mathematical physicist, no idea what kind of work he did, nor that he was related to Albert.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Favorite sandwich: Bacon avocado lettuce and tomato.

Reaction Score
'What is it called when someone subjects themselves to something they find so obnoxious when they can simply choose to ignore it?'
i know! i know! --- The Boneyard Experience.
what do i win?
(i don't know why i always ask aboot the prizes, nobody ever seems to payoff on any of these deals here ...)
A set of steak knives.

Reaction Score
Led Zeppelin, spaghetti, the color blue, horror movies, working from home, Pedro Martinez.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom