OT: - Name Your Favorite....Anything | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Name Your Favorite....Anything

Reaction Score
Just the idea that 3 of the most interesting and diverse constants "i" the imaginary unit = sqrt(-1), pi (the irrational number connecting the diameter and perimeter of a circle) and "e". the natural base for logarithms should all be magically related by a single equation. Well, you asked. ;)
Real bad math joke: the integral of e to the x is some function F (u) to the n. You have to draw it out to get it. If you get it, you are some kind of weird math nerd, like I used to be back when the concept of zero was formulated. Also speaking of integrals on a more serious note: the integral of e to the x is e to the x.

Reaction Score
Do they still hang out the "ducks" flag when it rains...to enable the "buy one, get one" deal on sundaes?

I miss it enough to consider a long drive :)

Ferris Acres Creamery in Newtown, CT
I don't know.... I'm in Hartford County, but enjoy hunting down all the best ice cream places in the state (and out of state). Newtown is >1 hr drive for us, so it's only about once a year we go.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Real bad math joke: the integral of e to the x is some function F (u) to the n. You have to draw it out to get it. If you get it, you are some kind of weird math nerd, like I used to be back when the concept of zero was formulated. Also speaking of integrals on a more serious note: the integral of e to the x is e to the x.
Hmm. I got it. :oops:

Better than the integral property which requires some Initial conditions to fix the arbitrary constant,, I like the magical result derivative[e^x]=e^x. In other words, what curve has the property that the curve tangent (slope) is equal to the curve itself everywhere on the curve. That usually gets the good students thinking and gets them working on such things as the Taylor expansions , convergence of limits etc.

Reaction Score
Favorite men's dress shoes: my Alden single-monk. Got them off Craigslist, when I first put them on, I almost gasped- they fit so perfectly! Wish I could afford them new. Would like to try other good shoes too.

Reaction Score
Favorite men's dress shoes: my Alden single-monk. Got them off Craigslist, when I first put them on, I almost gasped- they fit so perfectly! Wish I could afford them new. Would like to try other good shoes too.
Best pair of shoes I ever owned were Alden cordovan loafers. I even had them sent back to Alden for refurbishing. Wore them constantly in the warmer months and they still lasted for more than 10 years. Great shoes.

Reaction Score
Movie Quote: Spencer Tracy as Robert Rodgers from the movie "Northwest Passage" leading his men on a survival march back to safety, and home, responding to Walter Brennan after a decision by Rodgers, and Brennan saying "I'd hate to be a man whose always right as you Major".

"I'm not a man right now, I'm a leader of men...., perhaps if you ever meet me when I'm just a man,...you might want to to take a little pity...."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My favorite spaghetti western of all time - For a Few Dollars More, w/ Lee Van Cleef and Clint Eastwood.

Here's the final shoot out, where LVC harbored a bitter secret to the very end - and then finally shared it with the Man With No Name:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Favorite place (tie)

Acadia National Park

balds.jpg

Kauai

a.jpg

Reaction Score
Favorite College Football teams: Penn State, University of Oklahoma, and Northwestern
Favorite MLB team: NY Yankees
Favorite BB team: UCONN WBB
Favorite Ice Cream: Stop & Shop Chocolate Chip
Favorite child-hood dinner: Broad Noodles and Cheese (still eat it today)
Favorite sports to coach: HS Wrestling and HS Girls Field Hockey
My most important thing in my life: I have GREAT friends

Reaction Score
That is a fine poem by the brilliant Mr Yeats. I favor "The Lake Isle of Innisfree" myself.
How about Yeats’ poem “Sailing to Byzantium”? Its opening line: “That is no country for old men.”

(P.S.: I’ll be in Byzantium/Constantinople/Istanbul next week.)

Reaction Score
How about Falstaff: Henry IV, Act V, scene iii, lines 40- 61
" GIVE ME LIFE" Sir John was a true VITALIST!
Here’s a good Shakespeare trivia question: what character in Shakespeare’s plays has the most lines? The obvious answer is Hamlet, since that’s the longest play. But that’s wrong. The right answer is Falstaff, since he’s in a number of plays.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Favorite pro football players
offense---Walter Payton
defense---Dick Butkis
Tv show---Big Bang Theory
Ice cream place---Culvers
Flavor--- Mid Night Express
American--- My Father, who if alive would be 106 this month

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Got a new shuffle dance favorite, just had to share it:

A few of those dancers wandered into the wrong video, definitely not shuffle dancing.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Favorite line from a cartoon: In the Warner Bros Hansel and Gretel, Hansel says to Witch Hazel, "Your mother rides a vacuum cleaner!"

That was one of those lines that you just don't get when you're six.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Favorite line from a cartoon: In the Warner Bros Hansel and Gretel, Hansel says to Witch Hazel, "Your mother rides a vacuum cleaner!"

That was one of those lines that you just don't get when you're six.
They had me at "Witch Hazel".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom