Naismith Late Season 20 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Naismith Late Season 20

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Not sure I would add any more PAC-12 players. I really don't know much about Carelton & K. Charles. I might have Pivec instead of Slocum & Anigwe. My comment re: Pivec probably did belong on this thread. I'm just surprised how little attention Pivec gets outside of the PAC-12 viewership. Perhaps Pivec will get her moments in the next 2 weeks and in the NCAA Tournament.
We fans always have players we feel should be on the list. I personally think that Jackie Young should have made the list. I know this is a UConn board, but I feel she is having a better year than Dangerfield.

Young vs. Dangerfield
PPG 14.6 > 13.4
FG% 55% > 44%
3FG% 35% = 35%
Reb 6.6 > 3.8
Ast 5.6 > 4.7
TO 1.9 > 2.0
Blk 0.5 > 0.1
Stl 1.5 > 1.2

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Notable omission: Jackie Young

Before I saw this list I would've had her as 2nd team AA.

#justiceforjackie

For what it's worth:
Arike: 26.2 pts/40, 45.8 FG%, 55.2 TS%, 49.9 eFG%, 6.1 reb/40, 4.9 ast/40, 3.2 to/40
Jackie: 18.7 pts/40, 55.3 FG%, 61.8 TS%, 56.7 eFG%, 8.5 reb/40, 6.0 ast/40, 2.3 to/40

Reaction Score
A. Howard over C. Carter
M. Pivec over someone (Hebard?)

If I had to choose between Slocum and Pivec, I would take Pivec. She is the glue player on Oregon State's team, even though Slocum makes more headlines because of her higher scoring average, more assists (as a point guard should have) and great speed/quickness. Pivec is a better defender than Slocum, is the rebounding leader among guards in the Pac-12, and shoots at a higher percentage overall and from the 3 pt arch compared to Slocum. Pivec can and does play positions 1, 2, 3 and 4, while Slocum plays 1 and 2 (aka Pivec is more versatile than Slocum). Pivec has more blocks, more steals, and fewer turnovers than Slocum. Slocum shoots free throws better than Pivec (only because Pivec was having an unusual bit of slump for a while shooting free throws). Pivec knows OSU's system and knows what to do, while Slocum is still learning and adjusting. Pivec effectively and regularly drives to the rim and scores, just not with the speed and flare of Slocum. Slocum can get a bit wild at times while Pivec is a steadier player and stays on script more. Now, if I had any say, I too would drop Hebert, add Pivec and keep Slocum on the list.

For comparison stats between the two:

Oregon St. - Season Statistics

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Removing 9 seems very straight forward to me:
CD, Cox, Carleton, Hebard, Slocum, Mangakahia Anigwe, Cunningham, Charles.

The 10th player is between Shepard or Carter and I would remove Carter.
I wouldn’t remove Anigwe, or are you talking about the top 10 WBCA team?? Still then, I think she might be on that.

Reaction Score
If I had to choose between Slocum and Pivec, I would take Pivec. She is the glue player on Oregon State's team, even though Slocum makes more headlines because of her higher scoring average, more assists (as a point guard should have) and great speed/quickness. Pivec is a better defender than Slocum, is the rebounding leader among guards in the Pac-12, and shoots at a higher percentage overall and from the 3 pt arch compared to Slocum. Pivec can and does play positions 1, 2, 3 and 4, while Slocum plays 1 and 2 (aka Pivec is more versatile than Slocum). Pivec has more blocks, more steals, and fewer turnovers than Slocum. Slocum shoots free throws better than Pivec (only because Pivec was having an unusual bit of slump for a while shooting free throws). Pivec knows OSU's system and knows what to do, while Slocum is still learning and adjusting. Pivec effectively and regularly drives to the rim and scores, just not with the speed and flare of Slocum. Slocum can get a bit wild at times while Pivec is a steadier player and stays on script more. Now, if I had any say, I too would drop Hebert, add Pivec and keep Slocum on the list.

For comparison stats between the two:

Oregon St. - Season Statistics
Pivec's overall shooting %age is 55.5% for a guard/wing, and 48.7% from 3-point land. Pretty awesome stats overall if you factor in her rebounding at 8.9 rebounds/game. Not only that, Pivec (and Katie McWilliams) trade-off guarding the best player on the opposing team. Pivec has a motor that never quits.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Removing 9 seems very straight forward to me:
CD, Cox, Carleton, Hebard, Slocum, Mangakahia Anigwe, Cunningham, Charles.

The 10th player is between Shepard or Carter and I would remove Carter.

This seems right to me, although I would remove Shepard as well in order to add Jackie Young. It's my understanding that the Wooden All-American team includes only 5 players. If so, some very good players will necessarily not be realistic contenders.

Reaction Score
This seems right to me, although I would remove Shepard as well in order to add Jackie Young. It's my understanding that the Wooden All-American team includes only 5 players. If so, some very good players will necessarily not be realistic contenders.
The question is, who would the 5 be? My guess would be...
Ionescu, Durr, Arike, Collier, Gustafson

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
You may be correct on the names of the 5-person All-Star team as far as the selection process goes. But I believe I could create a better team choosing amongst the unselected scraps. And my team would play defense and rebound as well!

Teaira McCowan
Alannah Smith
Jackie Young
Mikayla Pivec
???

Reaction Score
#justiceforjackie

For what it's worth:
Arike: 26.2 pts/40, 45.8 FG%, 55.2 TS%, 49.9 eFG%, 6.1 reb/40, 4.9 ast/40, 3.2 to/40
Jackie: 18.7 pts/40, 55.3 FG%, 61.8 TS%, 56.7 eFG%, 8.5 reb/40, 6.0 ast/40, 2.3 to/40

Well, there you have it....Jackie Young for Arike. :rolleyes:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Not sure Collier is having a 1st team caliber year. I'd put McCowan on there over both her and Gustafson.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well, there you have it....Jackie Young for Arike. :rolleyes:

That was the point I was trying to get across, yes. If you're going to pick two from ND, I would pick Young and Shepard.

Reaction Score
Collier averaging more points, rebounds, assists, steals & by a wide margin. But makes sense. :rolleyes:

(1) Stats aren't everything.
(2) I suspect voters will reward the best player on the #1 team, rather than someone who will probably lose some votes to her teammate, on the #5 team.

Reaction Score
Not sure Collier is having a 1st team caliber year. I'd put McCowan on there over both her and Gustafson.
Tina Charles POY stats: 18.2ppg, 9.5reb, 1.5ast, 1.6blks, 2.2stls, 61%FG, 0/1 3’s, 68% FT.

Pheesa: 18.8ppg, 10reb, 3.6ast, 1.4blks, 1.4stls, 58%FG, 22% 3s (27 attempts), 69% FT

I get Tina was on an undefeated team but to say Pheesa hasn’t had a 1st team caliber year is obsurd. Where would UConn be without her?? UConn is still top 5 & my guess will end up 3-4 ranked at the end of the conference tournaments.

Reaction Score
(1) Stats aren't everything.
(2) I suspect voters will reward the best player on the #1 team, rather than someone who will probably lose some votes to her teammate, on the #5 team.
This isn’t like years past where there is a clear cut best team. Let’s face it, the only real road test Baylor faced resulted in a loss. Everyone agrees the top 6-7 are pretty interchangeable.

Reaction Score
You may be correct on the names of the 5-person All-Star team as far as the selection process goes. But I believe I could create a better team choosing amongst the unselected scraps. And my team would play defense and rebound as well!

Teaira McCowan
Alannah Smith
Jackie Young
Mikayla Pivec
???
Add Megan Huff and this team would stand-up to any other 5 players on the Wooden list

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom