Music Mount Rushmores by state | The Boneyard

Music Mount Rushmores by state

Reaction Score
Seems like a an off-season topic for the ‘yard if I’ve ever seen one.

As much as I love Bruce, this tweet is wrong. Obviously California comes to mind but I think, if you factor in variety and price per pound, it’s hard to top Michigan.

Reaction Score
CT:
Carpenters
John Mayer
Liz Phair
Michael Bolton

I'd rather listen to Michael Bolton than Jon Bon Jovi.
And others who made their home in CT. Dave Brubeck Mary Travers Johnny Winter Rick Derringer Diana Ross Meat Loaf Ricky Riccardo

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Massachusetts beats Connecticut pretty handily. Not sure CA can lose this.

Boston, Aerosmith, J. Giels, The Cars, James Taylor, Donna Summer, Pixies. Those all beat Michael Bolton.

Louisiana is going to do pretty well if you like Jazz.

Reaction Score
Gotta rep WA State:

Jimi Hendrix
Bing Crosby
Kenny Loggins
Quincy Jones
Kenny G
Heart (Ann and Nancy Wilson)
Grunge bands (Nivana - Cobain, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam - Vedder, Alice in Chains - Staley, Soundgarden - Cornell)
Alt Rock (Modest Mouse, ODESZA, Death Cab for Cutie)

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
CT:
Carpenters
John Mayer
Liz Phair
Michael Bolton

I'd rather listen to Michael Bolton than Jon Bon Jovi.
Would you really though?

If your best argument is our # 4 is better than your #4, you've conceded the point.

But if Bon Jovi really offends you can stick in any of: Paul Simon, Count Basie, Diane Warwick, or Frankie Valli as the number 4 hitter for Jersey.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Michigan you’ve got: Diana Ross/the Supremes, Smokey Robinson, Madonna, Eminem, The White Stripes, the Stooges, the Temptations, Aretha, STEVIE WONDER and I could go on but I don’t I think I have to.

Reaction Score
Would you really though?

If your best argument is our # 4 is better than your #4, you've conceded the point.

But if Bon Jovi really offends you can stick in any of: Paul Simon, Count Basie, Diane Warwick, or Frankie Valli as the number 4 hitter for Jersey.
We should set some parameters like you need to have developed as a musician / band in the state taking credit. Something like that. I’m a Jersey music guy, but Paul Simon is a New Yorker. I’d throw in Sugar Hill Gang, By Nature, Queen Latifah for those that may mock Jovi (which I don’t).

NJ’s musics scene was great in the 80s (my youth). There were so many bands and venues to play. It incubated success. That’s why you have so many solid NJ bands like Blues Traveler, the Smithereens, and others that grew up in NJ but the band is claimed by another state. Also, NJ artists showed NJ pride despite the state generally getting mocked.

I’m not sure any state’s music development scene is like that anymore. Austin and Nashville have great scenes (and I hate Country), but those artists go there, they aren’t born there. Many artists are now found through auditions by labels or agents, and bands don’t seem to start young. I don’t think you have the same garage band (we were always basement bands) local scenes. Plus, it’s hard to make money when your songs can be streamed a million times and you make $1,500.

Reaction Score
I never realized I really liked Bruce Springsteen because I'm white and middle aged. Thank you.
Now I just need to figure out why I really like Bob Marley.

But you're not a journalist so you are in the clear.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We have a middle aged white journalist implying Bruce over Prince and Dylan. Shocker

I'm disappointed Bon Jovi is above the Replacements. Or Husker Du for that matter. Hell, I'll even go so far as Soul Asylum.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I never realized I really liked Bruce Springsteen because I'm white and middle aged. Thank you.
Now I just need to figure out why I really like Bob Marley.

Probably has something to do with pot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom