Music Mount Rushmores by state | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Music Mount Rushmores by state

Reaction Score
Would you really though?

If your best arguement is our # 4 is better than your #4, you've conceded the point.
I'm pretty sure he was joking with his #4 and especially his entire list. At least I hope he was. Connecticut's list of famous musicians is incredibly sad. Apathy is an underground rap legend, outside of him August_West is probably the best from the state.

Reaction Score
I would think Tennessee would have the deepest roster with all the musician's from Nashville and Memphis.
Tennessee produces good country musicians, but most country stars aren’t from there or anything.

Just for fun, I looked at those raised in NC and came up with James Taylor, John Coltrane, Charlie Daniels, and Nina Simone.

Reaction Score
Of course he is. It seems like every sports journalist is a loud and vocal Bruce fan. Including probably every UConn beat writer ever.
Good call on Prince and Dylan representing Minnesota. For me Springsteen is right there lyrically with Dylan. Was just rediscovering some Springsteen last night...
Watch "Bruce Springsteen - One Step Up" on YouTube

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
In 1964, Pitney’s publicist, Andrew Loog Oldham, introduced him to the Rolling Stones, whom he produced. He recorded the Jagger-Richards composition “The Girl Belongs to Yesterday”. Pitney also assisted in the recording of the Stones’ “12 X 5” album. With Phil Spector, Pitney sat in on a 1964 Rolling Stone recording session, during which they recorded “Not Fade Away”, had a brief fling with a teenage Marianne Faithfull, and recorded songs by Randy Newman and Al Kooper, long before those musicians became famous.

Reaction Score
Pitney charted 16 Top 40 hits in the United States, four in the Top 10. In the United Kingdom he had 22 Top 40 hits, and 11 singles in the Top Ten. He also wrote the early 1960s hits "Rubber Ball" recorded by Bobby Vee, "He's a Rebel" by the Crystals, and "Hello Mary Lou" by Ricky Nelson. In 2002, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The Rockville Rocket Gene Pitney was a big deal at one time. Kind of underrated when you look at his body of work. I knew his kids growing up, they were a little older than me. He was a great husband and father, a true class act when he had every opportunity to go in a different direction. He used to drive around Somers in an old SUV or a little British convertible. When he was in the convertible, he dressed the part with big shiny shades and a leather jacket. In the SUV, he looked like a blue collar guy going to the dump. My parents used to tell me he was very famous in their day.

Reaction Score
We should set some parameters like you need to have developed as a musician / band in the state taking credit. Something like that. I’m a Jersey music guy, but Paul Simon is a New Yorker. I’d throw in Sugar Hill Gang, By Nature, Queen Latifah for those that may mock Jovi (which I don’t).

NJ’s musics scene was great in the 80s (my youth). There were so many bands and venues to play. It incubated success. That’s why you have so many solid NJ bands like Blues Traveler, the Smithereens, and others that grew up in NJ but the band is claimed by another state. Also, NJ artists showed NJ pride despite the state generally getting mocked.

I’m not sure any state’s music development scene is like that anymore. Austin and Nashville have great scenes (and I hate Country), but those artists go there, they aren’t born there. Many artists are now found through auditions by labels or agents, and bands don’t seem to start young. I don’t think you have the same garage band (we were always basement bands) local scenes. Plus, it’s hard to make money when your songs can be streamed a million times and you make $1,500.
Just the Newark/East Orange area produced Whitney Houston and Dionne Warwick, Wayne Shorter, Frankie Valli, By Nature, Redman, Lauryn Hill and Wyclef, and Queen Latifah.

Reaction Score
I know more about Rivers, than Rivers knows about his own damn self.

High school? UConn? I know that his name is Rivers and I had to Google his last name. Big fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom