• Brenda Frese from Minn to Md
  • Marlene Stollings from Minn to TexTech
  • Kristy Curry from Purdue to Texas Tech
  • Kristy Curry from Texas Tech to Alabama
  • GG from Duke to Texas
  • JPM from Michigan St to Duke
A couple others:

Chris Gobrecht from Washington to USC
June Daugherty from Washington to Washington St. (although she was let go from UW)

See a commonality here? One school seems to keep losing their coach to other D1 program.

edit--wow, I always thought Gobrecht went directly from UW to USC, but she had a 1 year stop over at Florida St. in between; weird

dang, UW was solid when she left and Florida St. was terrible the one year she was there, what the hell was that move about?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's no doubt it's bigger than Vic to Texas. While Vic's success in taking a program from nothing to two consecutive national title games within 7 years was astounding, Mulkey has 3 national titles to her name, now tied with Tara for 2nd among active coaches only behind Geno's 11.
I agree. Obviously Coach Schaefer is an incredibly gifted coach. However her level of success much more defined as she has the three national championships. Even more, according to her bio, before she arrived in 2000 Baylor had never been to the NCAA Tournament. In five years, at age 42 (or thereabouts) she won her first national title.
When Coach Schaefer took over in 2012 Coach Fanning had already taken the Bulldogs to the Sweet Sixteen in 2010 and the NCAA several other times.

Reaction Score
Scott Woodward earning his salary in Baton Rouge
SEC football money can make any SEC AD look good. Lot's of SEC ADs are spending on women sports and coaches. SEC has improved lots in softball and gymnastics and just won their first ever NC in Volleyball. Now they are working at getting BBall back from the golden days of Tennessee.

Reaction Score
LSU had 6 frosh this past year. Any of them any good? If not, they should be polishing up their resumes bc I think they're about to get bus tickets.
Current roster has 13 players + 3 taking an extra year + 2 walkons. So two open slots.
Kim gonna need some room.

Not really. I get the feeling some kids may end up leaving regardless. Kim isn't for everyone IMO like Vic wasn't for everyone either. I predict some of the current kids might look elsewhere. The dust will need to settle first though over the next week but Kim wants to win, she will find a way to get the best roster she can by this coming fall. There will no doubt be movement in and out somewhere.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I need me some crawfish and alcohol to celebrate this lol.
I have a passel of choices to join in your celebration (sans alcohol, not my thing) here in Houston:

BB's Tex-Orleans
Crawfish Cafe
Acme Oyster House (just opened in the past week!)
Esther's Cajun Cafe and Soul Food
Gumbo Jeaux's
Hot and Buttered
Boil House
Zydeco Louisiana Diner (downtown, I think they're closed Sundays)

And I'm sure many more I'm not thinking of right now.

Reaction Score
Kim in the SEC will be great. Makes things more interesting. Someone was on one of the LSU message boards last week saying Kim was going to LSU and saying the same person that told them also said Vic was going to Texas. Who knows if the person had any real intel, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Reaction Score
Not sure if I've had it.... but I'm hungry... and your post didn't help :oops::oops:
Kim needs to set up a game with the blue devils but Kim never schedules tough OOC unfortunately :( I won't complain about the process if she fields a good team but thats how she always is unfortunately.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kim needs to set up a game with the blue devils but Kim never schedules tough OOC unfortunately :( I won't complain about the process if she fields a good team but thats how she always is unfortunately.
If she didn't feel like she needed to schedule a tough OOC while being relatively unchallenged for years in the Big 12, certainly wouldn't expect her to change that now that she'll be playing in a tougher SEC.

Reaction Score
If she didn't feel like she needed to schedule a tough OOC while being relatively unchallenged for years in the Big 12, certainly wouldn't expect her to change that now that she'll be playing in a tougher SEC.
They will be playing LaTech, LA Monroe, Louisiana, Southern, McNeese St

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Too bad LA Tech didn’t pay her back in the day, still irrelevant to this day.
IIRC it was about LaTech honoring just a 4 year contract rather than a 5 year one. Kim definitely got the last laugh after the fall out.

Reaction Score
IIRC it was about LaTech honoring just a 4 year contract rather than a 5 year one. Kim definitely got the last laugh after the fall out.
I never believed it was about that. It didnt make sense.

Reaction Score
SEC football money can make any SEC AD look good. Lot's of SEC ADs are spending on women sports and coaches. SEC has improved lots in softball and gymnastics and just won their first ever NC in Volleyball. Now they are working at getting BBall back from the golden days of Tennessee.

Softball in the SEC has been pretty strong for quite some time - over the past 13 NCAA championships (there wasn't one played last year), of the 26 teams that played in the Championship series, 10 of them were SEC teams, with 3 champions. Used to be it was strictly a California-based sport - mostly UCLA and Arizona heavily dominating the sport beginning in the early 80's.....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
So with Mulkey’s departure, does that mean that Vic Schaefer now owns the state of Texas? Asking for a friend.

Reaction Score
Well I said I would be surprised and I am. Honestly didn't see it happening but congrats to LSU and their fan base. I have a feeling the Tigers will be back in the thick of the national scene by year 3, maybe sooner with all the modern action the portal brings.

The SEC schools are showing they are willing to make a commitment to basketball. That's good for the sport. I will be curious to see what Baylor does in her departure. So far this offseason has been anything but boring.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wesw1963

Top Bottom