Mulkey to LSU | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Mulkey to LSU

Reaction Score
Mulkey and Muffett were the only two major coaches who didn't seem to want to schedule Dawn so looks like we got all the bases covered now.

Welcome to the SEC. Congrats LSU. Condolences to Baylor.

Reaction Score
Has there been any word on how well Matthew Mitchell is recovering from his injury? I’d love to hope that some day he would be well enough to take over a top program.
Why on earth would you want that? Or were you not around for his patented forty minutes of fouling approach to coaching?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Kim: "I would not have left Baylor for any other school except LSU"

Lol at how Kim ripped off and tossed aside her mask with nearly the same verve as the infamous jacket in the Oregon State game. "Imma take this damn mask off ... because I have a lot to say!" :D:D:D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Softball in the SEC has been pretty strong for quite some time - over the past 13 NCAA championships (there wasn't one played last year), of the 26 teams that played in the Championship series, 10 of them were SEC teams, with 3 champions. Used to be it was strictly a California-based sport - mostly UCLA and Arizona heavily dominating the sport beginning in the early 80's.....
1st SEC National champion was Bama 2012 and Florida won it 2014/15 which to me is pretty recent. I've noticed the SEC teams getting better to compete with the PAC12 teams who still have the most recent championship with UCLA getting their 12th overall in 2019. Arizona, ASU, Cal, Oregon, & Washington have all made the final 4s the last 10 years along with perenial power UCLA, For SEC beyond Bama & Fla, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, & Georgia have been pretty strong. The other 3 Power Conferences seem to have only 1 really strong team: Oklahoma Big12, FSU-ACC, & Michigan -B10.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Mulkey and Muffett were the only two major coaches who didn't seem to want to schedule Dawn so looks like we got all the bases covered now.

I'm a bit intrigued by you bringing Muffet up, particularly when it has "...who didn't seem to want to schedule Dawn" at the center of the statement. Are you basing this on the fact that ND and South Carolina have only squared off three times (in two pre-/early season tourneys and that 66-65 ND win in the NCAAs)? Or something else? (If so, please let us know 'cause I've been missing something!)

During the MM-Dawn time frame, ND was in the Big East and ACC, so the Irish only had so many out-of-conference games on top of the early season tourneys. MM has never hesitated to take on tough out-of-conference rivals. She played Tennessee some 30 times, so she didn't duck the Vols, who were at or close to the top of the SEC at the time. She brought the Irish to Oregon State and the mid-major trap zone of the Dakotas. And, for the most part, continue to play UConn.

And, perhaps, neither MM or Dawn had no strategic/ recruiting need to do this. After all, ND gets a bunch of exposure playng in the Carolinas as a member of the ACC, while Dawn may not have any need to venture into the heart of B1G Country, where ND is really located.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm a bit intrigued by you bringing Muffet up, particularly when it has "...who didn't seem to want to schedule Dawn" at the center of the statement. Are you basing this on the fact that ND and South Carolina have only squared off three times (in two preseason tourneys and that 66-65 ND win in the NCAAs)? Or something else? (If so, please let us know 'cause I've been missing something!)

During the MM-Dawn time frame, ND was in the Big East and ACC, so the Irish only had so many out-of-conference games on top of the early season tourneys. MM has never hesitated to take on tough out-of-conference rivals. She played Tennessee some 30 times, so she didn't duck the Vols, who were at or close to the top of the SEC at the time. She brought the Irish to Oregon State and the mid-major trap zone of the Dakotas. And, for the most part, continue to play UConn.

And, perhaps, neither MM or Dawn had no strategic/ recruiting need to do this. After all, ND gets a bunch of exposure playng in the Carolinas as a member of the ACC, while Dawn may not have any need to venture to the heart of B1G Country, where ND is really located.
Both Muffett and Dawn played Geno & UConn home & home and that is the team that needed the tougher games since UConn was left out of the Power 5 Party when Big East football imploded. I was always hoping ND would have avoided UConn when ND moved to the ACC, but give Muffet credit she never avoided tough games. Her and Tara of the PAC12 have been consistent taking on tough foes and helping their conference improve. The Big East was the toughest conference when there were those Geno/Muffet wars & Cuse, Rutger, & L'ville were in the mix. The ACC got significantly better when ND joined and Cuse/L'ville followed.

You are right to stick up for her. I guess too many non-Domers hate Muffet for some reason, But since this is a Kim Mulkey thread, I hope KIm and LSU kick the Gamecocks down a notch or 2 in the SEC.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
You are right to stick up for her. I guess too many non-Domers hate Muffet for some reason, But since this is a Kim Mulkey thread, I hope KIm and LSU kick the Gamecocks down a notch or 2 in the SEC.

Kim, Geno, Muffet, Dawn, etc. are all very strong leaders who have distinctive personality traits: Some of which are admired, even revered; some of which not so much.

One of the things, I believe, you can't get after is MM's setting out to play strong schedules. Your team only gets better by playing tough opponents. That has a ripple effect on conferences such as the ACC. Now Coach Mulkey is hardly known for packing her early season schedule with such opponents ("who are these teams?" to phrase Butch Cassidy), but she does drop in some mid-season toughies.

In the long run, I think it will be good for the SEC (darn it), as Kim presses Dawn and the entire conference. We'll see how younger coaches at Georgia and Tennessee (and Vandy, now?) respond to those two leaders pushing the envelope, along with the constant inventiveness of Gary Blair. Should be interesting.

BTW, the band will play on at South Bend and Storrs as UConn and ND resume their rivalry. It can only help Niele and her charges to go up against one of the best.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Both Muffett and Dawn played Geno & UConn home & home and that is the team that needed the tougher games since UConn was left out of the Power 5 Party when Big East football imploded. I was always hoping ND would have avoided UConn when ND moved to the ACC, but give Muffet credit she never avoided tough games. Her and Tara of the PAC12 have been consistent taking on tough foes and helping their conference improve. The Big East was the toughest conference when there were those Geno/Muffet wars & Cuse, Rutger, & L'ville were in the mix. The ACC got significantly better when ND joined and Cuse/L'ville followed.

I just said that they were the only two powers that didn't schedule Dawn in non-conference.

I didn't mean to insinuate they were scared, just apparently uninterested.

Reaction Score
Interesting read

"Mulkey, 58, should have ended her career at Baylor and been granted some type of “head coach emerita” status, like Marsha Sharp at Texas Tech."

Oh, so sorry Mr. Engel. I Guess Coach Kim Mulkey is not ready to retire and she intends to prove it! Please watch Mulkey speak at the LSU introductory press conference. Does this look and sound like a woman who wants to make pretty PR videos and play with her grandchildren full time? I don't think so. Maybe leaving Baylor was not her first choice just as leaving LA Tech was not her first choice. That just feeds her competitive fire. Mulkey intends to win a national championship at LSU, which would cement her place as one of the most successful women's college basketball coaches in the history of the game.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
The Kim left Baylor thread has reached 135 replies on the Mississippi State board. Less than Volnation, but I'm sure nobody else is talking about it to that extent.

Some people are saying NMP is gonna get chewed out by Mulkey and a super strong SEC in the coming future.

Reaction Score
Kim left Baylor thread has reached 135 replies on the Mississippi State board. Less than Volnation, but I'm sure nobody else is talking about it.
tenor.gif

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

She will win her share of games, but won't be able to recruit with Dawn and Jolene. The road to the SEC Championship still runs through Columbia.

Reaction Score
She will win her share of games, but won't be able to recruit with Dawn and Jolene. The road to the SEC Championship still runs through Columbia.
I’m sure Kim will get her share of elite recruits, she’s a big name coach, has already got players from the SEC area when she was at Baylor, and LSU was a winning program at one point in time.

Reaction Score
Kim will be recruiting from Texas to Florida. She will be fine. SC really don't get their stockpile of talent from Texas.

Only speaking on the behalf of LSU recruiting territory. As good as Baylor was. She was the reason why they got that talent. Baylor isn't exactly a hot territory compared to Texas and A&M. So Kim knows how to get her talent. LSU is a much better destination. Nikki just didn't take advantage of it

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
1st SEC National champion was Bama 2012 and Florida won it 2014/15 which to me is pretty recent. I've noticed the SEC teams getting better to compete with the PAC12 teams who still have the most recent championship with UCLA getting their 12th overall in 2019. Arizona, ASU, Cal, Oregon, & Washington have all made the final 4s the last 10 years along with perenial power UCLA, For SEC beyond Bama & Fla, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, & Georgia have been pretty strong. The other 3 Power Conferences seem to have only 1 really strong team: Oklahoma Big12, FSU-ACC, & Michigan -B10.
Oklahoma still has more Championships than the SEC combined. UCLA and Arizona have probably about half of the total Championships just between the 2 of them. Never mind that Arizona St., Washington and Cal have combined for more Championships than the SEC has. Also have to note they haven't won a Title in 5 years. I've not convinced of the SEC being a rising power in softball. I'll be shocked if anyone other than UCLA or Oklahoma claims the crown this season.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I just said that they were the only two powers that didn't schedule Dawn in non-conference.

I didn't mean to insinuate they were scared, just apparently uninterested.
Duly noted, but so what? ND played and plays a pretty good OOC, Kim seems a tad light but has played UConn sporadically over the years.
Is Dawn all of a sudden a squad teams need to aspire to play?

Honestly I am very intrigued to see this 2 woman act in the SEC as everyone else will be playing for 3rd. Dawn’s chip on the shoulder will not play well with Kim so I am all ready.
Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom