Muffet continues her anti-Geno smear campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Former Penn State coach also played under Muffet
Oh yeah. I did forget about Coquese.
That makes two. I think Geno's record is stronger. On this count as in pretty much everything else.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
McDonnell Douglas
Oh yeah, I dimly remember that now.

Nice job @CamrnCrz1974 nice job.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Always very funny to me the folks who are pre-emptively outraged over potential "reverse discrimination"

Yes, it's a terrible shame that men don't have more opportunities in sports! *That* is what we need to be concerned about.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
MM needs to hire a public relations firm to work with her.

Lol, you know that she got mountains of press coverage for what she said at the Final Four and the large majority of it was positive, right?

Step outside of the bubble once in a while.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
In the interest of fairness and equity (and with some irony), I would note that in addition to her former players who have become head coaches, two of her former male assistants have also done that, and have done quite well: Kevin McGuff and Jonathan Tsipis.

Last edited:

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Before responding to MM's comments with outrage—genuine or conjured up—I counted to eleven, then tried to be objective.

1) Coaching skills: both GA and MM are superlatively good.
2) Personality and style: both are an acquired—or not—taste.
3) On the issue of providing opportunities for women in coaching ranks, Muffet wins for vocal volume, while Geno is well ahead on the headcount metric. Just ask any of his male assisstent coaches... Oh! Wait....;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's funny - I was waiting for the ND fans to come on the board and defend Muffet, but it's been crickets really. One poster @IrishTiger disagrees with her, and the other ND fan I saw took a shot at @oldude...

Reaction Score
I suspect you are right and that a lot of her utterances originate here. She has doubled down on this particular theme and maybe she thinks it is a recruiting tool. She should have said it just once and had ND's HR Dept. all over her with an advisory written caution. Should a male ever apply to work with her and be turned down he could make her squirm some. Maybe Coach Jumper should apply for her next opening! :rolleyes:
You and several other guys are right on point with your perspectives on this topic. I am sure that ND's HR and legal department are not quite happy about Muffet's blanket statement that she will not hire males, and only women. If she were in the private sector, this surely would not fly as it would be considered a prima facie statement of intent to hire disparately. However, Muffet has a bit more waggle room (and she probably knows this) being at university where the job deliverables of an assistant coach for a woman's team has a lot to do with role modeling, leadership development and not so much on the merit of your ability to win games. A woman's gender in such roles could almost (almost) be considered a bona fide occupational qualifier (BFOQ) and therefore the case could be made (perhaps) that female gender for assistant coaching on a women's team is a business necessity and a permissible discriminatory practice... Just Maybe that might slide...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I qualify as a Notre Dame fan (have two brothers who are alumni, root for them in football and men's BB, root for their WCBB team when it's not playing UConn), but I really think this whole controversy is much ado about nothing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lol, you know that she got mountains of press coverage for what she said at the Final Four and the large majority of it was positive, right?

Step outside of the bubble once in a while.
As I said somewhere in this thread, there is absolutely nothing wrong with advocating for more womens coaches in college sports. But MM’s “take no prisoners” approach minimizes the significant contributions of long time WBB coaches like Wes Moore, Gary Blair and yes even Geno Auriemma, who, I will point out again, has a superior record (100%) of hiring female assistants, along with nurturing and promoting countless former players as well as female colleagues as head coaches.

The problem I have with MM’s position is that by stating that she will never hire another male assistant, everything is black and white. Us vs them. IMO, that’s not the most effective way to promote change.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Tara VanDerveer

(were you referring to total wins or National Championships?)
I think Muffet is the better coach, eye test, mostly. Tara has more wins (and a better winning percentage) but coached 4 more years. Definitely factor in the natties as well.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Always very funny to me the folks who are pre-emptively outraged over potential "reverse discrimination"

Yes, it's a terrible shame that men don't have more opportunities in sports! *That* is what we need to be concerned about.

It’s discrimination

I’m embarrassed for humanity who try to put a cute little name on it to try and make it sound less bad.

The fact that anyone thinks its ok shows how much we as humanity deserve the giant meteor.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I qualify as a Notre Dame fan (have two brothers who are alumni, root for them in football and men's BB, root for their WCBB team when it's not playing UConn), but I really think this whole controversy is much ado about nothing.
Not sure?? Let me clear it up for you. You are DEFINITELY a Notre Dame fan.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Muffet's stated position is that the mere presence of men in the WBB coaching ranks is an injustice and a hindrance to the development of confident young women. She's objectively pitting the progress of women against the mere employment of male coaches.

Of course, we all know she's not thinking of Vic Schaefer or Kelly Graves or Scott Rueck or Gary Blair or Doug Bruno when she makes these comments. She's thinking of the one coach she can't stop talking about, as she figures this is a convenient stick with which to bash him.

Do we really think it's a coincidence that her clearly planned and practiced "ERA" diatribe came right on the heels of her defamatory "bully" smear?

Her hypocrisy and cynicism carry a stench, and shame on those who have fallen for it.

the Q

Reaction Score
Muffet's stated position is that the mere presence of men in the WBB coaching ranks is an injustice and a hindrance to the development of confident young women. She's objectively pitting the progress of women against the mere employment of male coaches.

Of course, we all know she's not thinking of Vic Schaefer or Kelly Graves or Gary Blair or Doug Bruno when she makes these comments. She's thinking of the one coach she can't stop talking about, as she figures this is a convenient stick with which to bash him.

Do we really think it's a coincidence that her clearly planned and practiced "ERA" diatribe came right on the heels of her defamatory "bully" smear?

Her hypocrisy and cynicism carry a stench, and shame on those who have fallen for it.

So I’m sure she’s against Becky Hammond and now the former cal coach, right?

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think Muffet is the better coach, eye test, mostly. Tara has more wins (and a better winning percentage) but coached 4 more years. Definitely factor in the natties as well.

View attachment 43872
If we evaluate them on the sum of their careers, it's a fairly close comparison:
Tara: 2 NCs, 2 losses in NC game, total of 12 Final Fours.​
Muffet: 2 NCs, 5 losses in NC game, total of 9 Final Fours.​

But in the past 20 years Muffet's record has the clear edge:
Tara since 2000: 0 NCs, 2 losses in NC game, total of 7 Final Fours.​
Muffet since 2000: 2 NCs, 5 losses in NC game, total of 8 Final Fours.​
And just for kicks:
Geno overall: 11 NCs, 0 losses in NC game, total of 20 Final Fours.​
Geno since 2000: 10 NCs, 0 losses in NC game, total of 17 Final Fours.​

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I suspect you are right and that a lot of her utterances originate here. She has doubled down on this particular theme and maybe she thinks it is a recruiting tool. She should have said it just once and had ND's HR Dept. all over her with an advisory written caution. Should a male ever apply to work with her and be turned down he could make her squirm some. Maybe Coach Jumper should apply for her next opening! :rolleyes:
Any mention of "Coach J" on this board will get a like from me.

Reaction Score
I understand, and appreciate, Muffet's argument about the disparity of female coaches vs male coaches in WCBB and MCBB, but she attacks in the wrong direction. She should be advocating for more women coaching mens teams. It should always be the best candidate gets the job and that clearly doesn't happen in MCBB.

the Q

Reaction Score
I understand, and appreciate, Muffet's argument about the disparity of female coaches vs male coaches in WCBB and MCBB, but she attacks in the wrong direction. She should be advocating for more women coaching mens teams. It should always be the best candidate gets the job and that clearly doesn't happen in MCBB.

Based on the article from the 2018 final four like 70% of applicants for wbb jobs are men.

So it sounds like it’s Not happening in wbb either.

Reaction Score
Based on the article from the 2018 final four like 70% of applicants for wbb jobs are men.

So it sounds like it’s Not happening in wbb either.
That wasn't my point. On the women's side they appear to be hiring who they think is best for the job, male or female, while in the men's game they are not giving women a fair chance, and only hiring men. I think this is the issue Muffett should be addressing. (And I do understand there will be those who disagree with me, that's as it should be)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom